ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 69

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been thinking about this. When she sees the evidence, if it’s very apparent that he did it, how hard will she go to poke holes? I hope she wouldn’t be “Jose Baez-like” in unscrupulous-ness (IMO). Or even like those Jodi Arias defense attorneys, who I felt acted deplorably.

Might she try to broker a plea for him? Might she just stick with legal issues regarding admissibility of evidence, etc., to protect his rights? I hope she doesn’t go for a bogus SODDI defense (if no evidence of such exists).

I wonder if BKs family could convince him to plead guilty (if it could mean potentially avoiding the DP.) Does he care enough about them that if they tried to persuade him, he’d listen?

MOO.
The defense attorney's job is to mount the best possible defense for the accused. That does not mean that as a person he doesn't care about the families of the victims.

We all have a constitutional right to a solid defense.

Some articles are stating he applied for a Fall Internship so I think that's why I'm confused. I suppose he could have applied for a one month internship in November or the Internship was supposed to be in the Spring.

I think either position would have been valuable as an Internship but I don't know what the policy is at WSU. He would have gotten valuable experience with either. (That's a scary thought.)

When it was first reported, I thought he had applied for a Fall Internship but wasn't accepted. So if it's true he applied in November it was right around the time of the murders.
BBM: that's why, IMO, it's easiest just to go by what LE states in the PCA: He applied for an internship in the Fall of 2022. Yes,right around when the murders took place, The PCA doesn't specify an exact date. MSM, may have misinterpreted this simple statement, IMO. The NYT article quotes emails from April re an assistantship job BK was applying for, also with PPD, that was to commence in August. My only point from my original post was to correct my own inadvertant misinformation that these two positions were one and the same when clearly they were not. MOO

Last edited:
BBM: that's why, IMO, it's easiest just to go by what LE states in the PCA: He applied for an internship in the Fall of 2022. Yes,right around when the murders took place, The PCA doesn't specify an exact date. MSM, may have misinterpreted this simple statement, IMO. The NYT article quotes emails from April re an assistantship job BK was applying for, also with PPD, that was to commence in August. My only point from my original post was to correct my own inadvertant misinformation that these two positions were one and the same when clearly they were not. MOO
I'm so confused. Why would he not have applied for a fall internship ahead of time?

I read the MG statement a little slower instead of just skimming over it.

So, if I’m understanding what I read, one of the first complaints verbalized was that the story ‘ created extra work ‘

And ( while speaking for everyone ) decided to not share any info that could potentially hurt the investigation or create stress for the victims families.

? Maybe I’m wrong here, purely my own speculation and opinion, but shouldn’t All information be reported to investigators and let THEM decide if it’s important or not ?

Maybe I’m reading too much between the lines, but it does sound like there is/was info they decided not to share.

Sometimes with written text it is really hard to know the intent as far as inflection and tone.

I do agree however NO ONE has the right to go to peoples homes like the(reporters/media)are. I guess maybe the ones that do are thinking that if they had provided the information voluntarily in the first place they (media) wouldn’t need to go to them and ask

All my opinion and speculation
I cannot imagine that LE hadn't spoken to MG. They could have asked if BK was a regular visitor or someone they saw somewhat consistently. Maybe now they had to go through weeks of receipts to prove that he never came through.

I guess I'm unsure as to what it means for him to have eaten there once or twice? Was he there all the time? Was he seen stalking the girls outside of the business? It doesn't sound like it.

If that's the case, somebody better tell the owner that that ship has already sailed.

Even if it turns out that kohberger never patronized the place, that restaurant will be forever linked to a couple of the victims...
...and unfortunately, it could "up" her business for the outsiders who get off on visiting places linked to crimes.

I'm so confused. Why would he not have applied for a fall internship ahead of time?
*In the fall NOT a fall internship, as per my post and as per the PCA.

ETA: There is NO Fall internship mentioned anywhere in the PCA, IMO

I think that's the most logical reason for no one hearing any screams, but I'm still slightly bewildered that not even one of the students wasn't awakened when the person beside them was attacked and screamed. IMO, the attacks had to be so fast to disable both persons in each room before one could scream. JMOO
In my opinion the ladies on the third floor were killed quickly. Maddie perhaps in her sleep and Kaylee right after. She may have awakened but was immediately murdered. I think Ethan was murdered next while Xana was in the kitchen or living area eating her Door Dash arrival. Once again, in his sleep. I think Xana sent her last Tik Tok at 4:12 a.m. and headed to her bedroom where she encountered the murderer and tried to fight. Depending on the placement of the wounds, a person might not be able to scream. My theory falls in line with entry time and exit time, but it is merely my opinion

It could be as simple as the MG's owner doesn't want her restaurant known as the place where the killer found his victims.After all, dining out is supposed to be pleasant and relaxing. How can it be if the restaurant reminds of a brutal murder?
People still eat at the Merry Piglets, well known from the Gabby Petito case. They still eat at Sonic in CO, where Krystal Kenney drove through after cleaning up a murder scene.

They still eat at my local Chinese restaurant, Ya Fei, where two employees were among Baumhammers’ mass murder spree.

Murders can happen anywhere, and murderers eat in restaurants, just like anyone else.

Last edited:
This story has bothered me enormously from the moment we read about it. Completely aside from Kohberger, I'm appalled by the professor's behavior. JMO

Yep. As I think I've noted before about 1150 threads ago, when I was last vaguely caught up, this sort of behaviour by a prof would result in at least an interview with a dept head and potentially a hearing and then letter in the personnel file in any of the unis I've taught or consulted at.

And I work in an area (meds) that tends not to be known for a warm, relaxed teaching / learning environment. It's disgraceful pedagogy, spectacularly weak critical engagement, and sets up an interpersonal minefield that was pretty much guaranteed to rankle and unsettle for some time. Especially with a character like BK.

I've been away from these threads for a while and am a bit surprised by the distant date for a bail hearing -- we've seen a version of this in the Delphi case recently also, and I was wondering how usual it is to have that hearing pushed so far back?

Why? BK's choices are his & his alone. We don't know enough about his research or thesis timeline or content to connect it to the crimes IMO.

Weird dude has been a weird dude for a long time. Maybe since he was born. We don't really know very much about him.

MOO
And in defense of this MA program (to which I have no relation at all), it's not uncommon for students to take a larger bite of research than they can finish, and then the advisor and the committee refigure the study to allow the student to graduate if the overall performance is OK. People often have to re-write dissertation chapters for the Ph.D. Struggle and occasional failure is part of the process. It's also worth noting that BK finished his undergrad work in 2020, just as the COVID pandemic got underway, and nearly all of his master's work was done during the peak of the pandemic. I'm not sure that all of the MA program would always be online, but most of the work done during COVID might have been done then, and in-person research for many students was impossible because of restrictions. So I am loathe to blame the graduate program for allowing him to substitute a narrative thesis for the graduation requirement. Just my opinion.

After a certain high profile case did not result in a guilty verdict, I purposefully chose to word my post to describe "ethical" defense attorneys. She can tell him that the evidence doesn't look good for him or that some of the evidence will be very hard to refute. She probably wouldn't suggest he take a plea deal unless the Prosecution actually offers him one. I suspect his family can have the greatest influence on him as to whether or not he accepts a plea deal. They have already been through a lot and it will only get worse as this case goes to trial. The preliminary hearing may be in June, but the actual trial may not be until November or sometime next year.
I have often wondered whether someone capable of mass murder, or serial killing is capable of empathy for anyone else. Family or otherwise.

Jeffrey MacDonald killed his family, so clearly the answer in his case was "None." I don't specifically recall whether any serial killer has ever seemed to express genuine regret for anything they did, to their family or anyone else. I'm not sure they are capable of that emotion.

Sadly, I think the house where it all happened is...... I do believe the restaurant will get a lot of support from the community. Just my opinion.

I live in a small town and a local cafe had the misfortune of having one of their employees kill their spouse. They cafe certainly had a great deal of community support but also came the gossips, trying to get staff to satisfy their curiosity.

They gossips seemed to get quite offended when staff told ignored their need for details and got even more upset when staff would directly tell them that RCMP had their statements and they weren't inclined to share with anyone else.

Gossips don't always spend much money to dig for information and it's very hard on employee morale.

But Murphy was examined.
Was there any blood from the perp's hand on his fur?
Another poster on this thread said LE stated no blood on Murphy/no evidence he'd been touched. I wasn't on WS then, am looking for a ref.

Hey there @kittythehare !
The previous thread closed so I could not respond to your post, I’m not sure how to quote it either so I’m going with good old copy and paste… You mentioned, “I don't anticipate this trial will start for about 3 years” - I’m just curious what’s leading you to believe the trial won’t begin for such an extended period of time… have I missed anything in the news recently that indicates major stalling and/or delays are on the horizon that could push this trial that far out? Admittedly, I have been paying a little bit more attention to the Ana Walsh case, and a little bit less attention to this one in the aftermath of that additional gag order being issued, so I may have missed some things... trying to catch up though!

I do this to steady myself for the long haul because it will be a long haul. It's nothing you missed. It's me being me. Grounding, knowing makes me less impatient.
Sometimes by the time trials start I've forgotten all I knew.

You think customers are going to try to discuss the murders with the wait staff/employees? I think that is a stretch, I think most people are not that disrespectful. I give most people/customers more credit than that.

Have you ever worked with the public before? never underestimate the rudeness of a small percentage of the people.

Last edited:
The Instagram thing hasn't been confirmed and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it turns out to be a bunch of BS, like the restaurant claim. Could it all be true? Maybe, but we don't know if it is and I lean toward it being false, particularly the MG claim.

As for him being near their house 12 times, until we know exactly where he was, we don't know what that proves. The two cities share a lot of stores, a gym, etc. But let's say he was stalking them. Him eating at MG once or twice doesn't build that case, IMO.

MOO.
I respectfully disagree. Depending on how the timeline proves out, it could provide a foundation for how he originally came into contact with them. For example: Let's say he ate there on August 5th and again on August 12th and the girls were working both nights, or really either night. There is a good chance they have evidence that he researched them and then the nocturnal visits began after that. A timeline anything like that will look very ugly for him. MOOooo

I cannot imagine that LE hadn't spoken to MG. They could have asked if BK was a regular visitor or someone they saw somewhat consistently. Maybe now they had to go through weeks of receipts to prove that he never came through.

I guess I'm unsure as to what it means for him to have eaten there once or twice? Was he there all the time? Was he seen stalking the girls outside of the business? It doesn't sound like it.
He could have visited the restaurant and paid cash. He could have went in, ordered nothing at all, just looked around, then left.

I can understand the restaurant owner being upset if her employees spoke to folks they should not have spoken to without her consent - if that’s what happened. On the flip side, I’d be very upset as an employee if my employer said I spoke because I only wanted 15 minutes of fame.

jmo

Another poster on this thread said LE stated no blood on Murphy/no evidence he'd been touched. I wasn't on WS then, am looking for a ref.
This is the December 5 update.

• There have been numerous requests about the dog found at the residence on the morning of November 13th. Arriving officers entered the residence and found the deceased victims. During the search of the home, a dog was found in a room where the crimes had not been committed. Officers did not find any evidence on the dog and there was no indication the animal had entered the crime scene. The dog was taken to Animal Services and released to a responsible person.

While the dog was in the house when officers arrived, it has not been determined where the dog was physically located when the murders took place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77