SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am surprised by how overly congenial the woman is who is questioning the potential jurors. Nothing like what I have experienced in my area. And all the small talk in between — it’s like talking to contestants on Jeopardy.

Does anyone know if right now during the screening these people are facing Alex or sitting behind him? Just wondering if he is sitting in a place where he can stare at them.

I am surprised by how overly congenial the woman is who is questioning the potential jurors. Nothing like what I have experienced in my area. And all the small talk in between — it’s like talking to contestants on Jeopardy.

Does anyone know if right now during the screening these people are facing Alex or sitting behind him? Just wondering if he is sitting in a place where he can stare at them.
Good question.

That's a very good question. I haven't heard the answer. Maybe one of the reporters will describe the courtroom layout from some other trial. Were any of his other trials held in this particular courtroom? If so, maybe there's film somewhere that would give us an idea.
jmo

That's a very good question. I haven't heard the answer. Maybe one of the reporters will describe the courtroom layout from some other trial. Were any of his other trials held in this particular courtroom? If so, maybe there's film somewhere that would give us an idea.
jmo
Don’t know if this will help, but there is a video of the empty courtroom at this link…

Thanks all, for input. Today they have culled down three of the four large pools of potentials jurors. Fourth group will be tomorrow morning. These large pools are too big to be seated in jury box, and jury box is too small for the number of media in attendance.

If jury candidates are behind Alec, do we know if there are rules about him turning around to look at them. I am certain Team Poot and Team Waters turn around to view jurors — I would assume they are taking notes on who answered what and how.

Judge Newman asked each group at the end of their respective general screening process today if there was any reason someone didn’t think they could serve. He said he wanted them to say so now and not get into the trial and later want off the jury. My guess is he was allowing for any folks who (as some have speculated) might be feeling intimidated or fear later retribution. I’m sure he has a pipeline into the locals. OMO.

Last edited:

From the link:
View attachment 397252
Oh how I dislike the bald head. I never liked him, but he looks better with hair.

From the link:
View attachment 397252
Oh my, the look on both those faces…

I know, but it might have been worth a shot. :)

I know that in civil cases, either party can request a change of venue providing they meet a certain notice requirement.

Whether or not SC provides for the prosecution to seek a change of venue in a criminal case, I'm really not sure.

What I do know is that in the affidavit to the court, the party requesting the change also has to provide discoverable evidence why the accused can't receive a fair trial in the jurisdiction where the crime was committed.

It's actually a big deal because the opposing party then gets to challenge the evidence put forth by the petitioner. In other words, tying it all back to a "jury of your peers," it's much more than just requesting a change of venue.

From the link:
View attachment 397252

From link you posted. IMO, this should be interesting…

The reference to the video in the filing, obtained by CNN affiliate WCSC, appears to be the first mention of the Snapchat video from prosecutors who intend to use it as evidence in their case against Murdaugh.

Snapchat provided the recording as part of a search warrant, the filing said.

“Amongst other things, critical to the case is a video sent out to several friends at approximately 7:56 PM on the night of the murders,” said the filing.

“The contents of this video is important to proving the State’s case in chief,” reads the document, written by state prosecutors.

The document does not describe what the contents of the video are, and its importance to the case is unclear.

In October, CNN reported, prosecutors in court documents said the mother and son were killed between 8:30 p.m. and 10:06 p.m. in court documents. The South Carolina Law Enforcement Division previously reported the deaths occurred between 9 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.

Prosecutor Creighton Waters asked in the motion that a representative from Snapchat, the social media platform which provided the video, “testify in person that the video is a true and accurate record kept in the normal course of business activity.”

Judge Clifton Newman ruled in favor of the motion and issued a request to a Los Angeles, California, district court to compel a representative of Snapchat to attend the Murdaugh trial starting the first day of jury selection.

3 min video at CNN link -- prosecution motion to include video reviewed by blood spatter witness re. Alex's range from the victim:

3 min video at CNN link -- prosecution motion to include video reviewed by blood spatter witness re. Alex's range from the victim:

Gruesome!! details
Imo

Thanks all, for input. Today they have culled down three of the four large pools of potentials jurors. Fourth group will be tomorrow morning. These large pools are too big to be seated in jury box, and jury box is too small for the number of media in attendance.

If jury candidates are behind Alec, do we know if there are rules about him turning around to look at them. I am certain Team Poot and Team Waters turn around to view jurors — I would assume they are taking notes on who answered what and how.

Judge Newman asked each group at the end of their respective general screening process today if there was any reason someone didn’t think they could serve. He said he wanted them to say so now and not get into the trial and later want off the jury. My guess is he was allowing for any folks who (as some have speculated) might be feeling intimidated or fear later retribution. I’m sure he has a pipeline into the locals. OMO.
I would think that the defense team has a jury consultant positioned to view each of the remaining jurors in the "pool" and is probably noting their assigned number also. There will be some late hours tonight spent on first impression write-ups IMO. Since the juror's identity is unknown to both sides at this time, they won't be able to do much investigating of them I'm guessing. Wonder what criteria a consultant would use to select a juror for the defense?
jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member