Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #7

While Mr Hill's widow tuned into the hearing via videolink, Lynn's flight attendant wife did not.

Florence said officers had concerns about GL’s mental health on the morning of his arrest, at a campsite at Arbuckle Junction but rejected a suggestion by Dann KC that the pilot had been at "mental breaking point".

Florence also admitted that despite those concerns early in the day, they did not seek a physical or mental health examination of Lynn after his arrest.

In a summary of some of the evidence, police claimed the circumstances of the deaths and GL's behaviour afterwards were consistent with him having intended to kill them, or at least cause really serious injury.

They alleged he contaminated and staged the crime scene - setting fire to the camp to intentionally destroy evidence. He's also accused of removing evidence and disposing of the couple's remains, involving burning, dispersing and partially interring them at a separate location in May and/or November 2020.

Pilot to stand trial over alleged murders of Melbourne campers

So this is my first beginning to conclusion case I have followed. Does this mean his trial starts on Feb 9?

No. Means that the pre-trial negotiations will start then, and the Supreme Court judge will start keeping an eye on how the trial preparations are going.

There will probably be a few Mentions before the trial, where they work out what is admissible, what isn't admissible, if the police brief has been delivered to the defence in a timely manner, and other agenda items.

At some early point we will hear the trial date.

imo

Last edited:

While Mr Hill's widow tuned into the hearing via videolink, Lynn's flight attendant wife did not.

She's watched his previous court attendances. I'm not quite sure why she didn't today but maybe she was too scared to hear potentially bad news.

No. Means that the pre-trial negotiations will start, and the Supreme Court judge will start keeping an eye on how the trial preparations are going.

There will probably be a few Mentions before the trial, where they work out was is admissible, what isn't admissible, if the police brief has been delivered to the defence in a timely manner, and other agenda items.

At some early point we will hear the trial date.

imo
Thank you

Lynn will now face the Supreme Court of Victoria in his first step in finally fronting a jury.

There will be several court appearances after 9 February and once both sides are ready to proceed to trial, they have to choose a date that's convenient to the Court and both sides.

Police plan to resume searching Victoria’s high country where missing campers disappeared, as a former Jetstar pilot is committed to stand trial charged with their murders.

Florence told the Court that investigators plan to continue searching the remote area.

“We have to go back to Mount Hotham to do a search,” he said.

“It hasn’t been completed due to the weather situation over the last six to eight months.

“That’s the only investigation aspect that I know that needs completing.”

He didn't tell the Court what they were looking for in the Alpine National Park.

https://www.news.com.au/national/vi...e/news-story/2b19970eea5bf2c8aeaeed7add302a5d

More bodies?

More bodies?

Might be something to do with the shovels, or it could be he wasn't telling the truth about where he dumped the drone, knife , mobile etc. And then there's the missing credit card/s.

If the police had retrieved something, like the drone, mobile etc from Rose River Road, is that something they would have had to reveal, or could they keep something back for the trial ?

Might be something to do with the shovels, or it could be he wasn't telling the truth about where he dumped the drone, knife , mobile etc. And then there's the missing credit card/s.

If the police had retrieved something, like the drone, mobile etc from Rose River Road, is that something they would have had to reveal, or could they keep something back for the trial ?

A chopped up trailer?

@Arboreal do you know if there is a difference in forensic procedures for a case handled by Missing Persons Squad vs Homicide Squad? IMO this might have affected the way the forensics played out.
No I do not, I am afraid. I seem to recall that police initially did not treat Mr Hill and Ms Clay's disappearance as suspicious, but can't recall when they began to suspect foul play. I also recall that in NSW at least, being told by a police officer there that there was some degree of discretion as to how police proceed, when a person simply disappears, as opposed to an obvious suspicious disappearance - such as the presence of blood stains - which trigger an approach much more in line with a murder or assault. However, I would have thought that the vehicle would have been examined, as a precaution, to see if there were blood stains present, just to rule out the possibility of a suspicious event. It is easy enough to do with these new light sources. It will be interesting to discover why police initially took the view they did. However, the police did say in 2021 that from mid 2020 they suspected non-accidental death at the hands of a third party.

Police plan to resume searching Victoria’s high country where missing campers disappeared, as a former Jetstar pilot is committed to stand trial charged with their murders.

Florence told the Court that investigators plan to continue searching the remote area.

“We have to go back to Mount Hotham to do a search,” he said.

“It hasn’t been completed due to the weather situation over the last six to eight months.

“That’s the only investigation aspect that I know that needs completing.”

He didn't tell the Court what they were looking for in the Alpine National Park.

https://www.news.com.au/national/vi...e/news-story/2b19970eea5bf2c8aeaeed7add302a5d
I'm a bit confused by the journalist saying that "Police will resume searching Mount Hotham, where campers Russell Hill and Carol Clay disappeared" and Acting Sergeant Florence's comments that the search would resume around Mt Hotham which is a few miles away. See map.

Screen.png

A chopped up trailer?
There is a practice called "discovery", where the Crown is required to reveal to the defence all the information the Crown intends to use in the prosecution and all information recovered, particularly exculpatory information. However, i a committal hearing, which is what has just concluded, the Crown need only provide sufficient information to convince the court that the accused has a case to answer, often called a prima facie case and this information and any other the Crown has, should be more fully ventilated and examined in greater depth in a full hearing. This is the trial. This does not imply guilt. Rather, it is that there is sufficient evidence that the Crown could secure a conviction, in the absence of cross examination by the defence. But that is what happens in a full trial: the defence cross examines the Crown's evidence and had an opportunity to place before the court an alternative version of events, so as to raise a reasonable doubt as to the charges made by the Crown.
it is going to be fascinating to watch. There will be some very impressive legal minds working on this.

More bodies?

Maybe, but it's probably something else.

May 2022

After a week of searching snow-covered alpine terrain by police, volunteers and his children, the operation to find missing grandfather Christos has been scaled back, with no sign of the 70-year-old.

Christos, whose last name has not been made public, was last seen when he left his holiday accommodation to go for a walk to find emus last Friday afternoon on Big Muster Drive, Dinner Plain, near Mount Hotham.

Search for missing grandfather in Mt Hotham scaled back

Might be the phones. Seems that Russell was deceased when his phone pinged at Mount Hotham (in Hotham Heights, which apparently is in the centre of Mount Hotham Ski Resort).

According to police documents submitted to the Melbourne Magistrates' Court, a security camera snapped four pictures of Mr Lynn's Nissan Patrol towing a trailer on Great Alpine Road at 9:48am on March 21, 2020.

A phone belonging to another man, Russell Hill, had connected to a nearby phone tower at Hotham Heights 10 seconds earlier.

While his phone was switched on, police allege Mr Hill was dead.

Detectives say data from Telstra showed Mr Hill's phone to be in the vicinity of the resort cameras 10 seconds after Mr Lynn's car travelled past them.

Last edited:
Might be the phones. Seems that Russell was deceased when his phone pinged at Mount Hotham (in Hotham Heights, which apparently is in the centre of Mount Hotham Ski Resort).

According to police documents submitted to the Melbourne Magistrates' Court, a security camera snapped four pictures of Mr Lynn's Nissan Patrol towing a trailer on Great Alpine Road at 9:48am on March 21, 2020.

A phone belonging to another man, Russell Hill, had connected to a nearby phone tower at Hotham Heights 10 seconds earlier.

While his phone was switched on, police allege Mr Hill was dead.

Detectives say data from Telstra showed Mr Hill's phone to be in the vicinity of the resort cameras 10 seconds after Mr Lynn's car travelled past them.

However, I think they had that info way back in the beginning, so expect they already searched as best they could.

But what about GL's own phone and devices - or info he actually shared after arrest. Alerting them to new specific spots.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan
Back