Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
After DH left for his eye appointment and swim, I assembled a savory bread pudding for dinner. I was originally planning on a frittata to use up spinach and mushrooms. We also have part of a loaf of ciabatta, so I cut it into chunks to cover the bottom of a rectangular baking dish. Mixed together seven eggs, cup and 1/2 sliced mushrooms, 3 cups chopped spinach, salt, pepper, freshly grated nutmeg and poured it over the bread. Covered with plastic wrap and pressed down to incorporate the egg mixture with the bread chunks. When I take the casserole out of the fridge for baking, I will top with freshly shredded Parmesan cheese. Usually bakes for about 45 minutes until bubbly and cheese is browned.

My daughter is into pickled and fermented foods and so are most of my friends. They eat at least one serving of a fermented food every day, usually kimchi or fresh sauerkraut. I don’t like kimchi at all but I think fresh sauerkraut is good. I eat it on my veggie hotdogs.

I never like sauerkraut before but all I ever had was the canned variety. The fresh sauerkraut is a a little crispy and flavorful.
is it the fish sauce in the kimichi? My daughter and I make one with NO fish sauce. My son knows a lady that makes and sells kimchi and uses the fish sauce. Definite difference.

A Monday roast- roast chicken, roast parsnips (a bit overdone), pork sage and onion stuffing, new potatoes, brocolli, cauliflower and of course, gravy.

Looks a bit messy but it tasted amazing!

Attachments

• IMG-20230123-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20230123-WA0003.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 17
is it the fish sauce in the kimichi? My daughter and I make one with NO fish sauce. My son knows a lady that makes and sells kimchi and uses the fish sauce. Definite difference.
It is a vegetarian kimchi. I don’t care for the taste by itself but it is good in the recipes she makes, like stir fried with tofu and vegetables, or some kimchi soup.

She eats it alone, straight from the jar, as a side dish.

Supposed to get cold here, cold for Central TX anyway so I have a big pot of Red Beans and Rice cooking. Will eat it for lunch for the week. MIL made lemon cookies with dried cranberries and lemon icing. I can’t imagine why my pants are getting tight. Hot herbal tea and a homemade cookie at night is my current vice. Gave up alcohol a few months ago.

I have never tried kimchi. I want to I think but then I chicken out. I love sauerkraut.

Supposed to get cold here, cold for Central TX anyway so I have a big pot of Red Beans and Rice cooking. Will eat it for lunch for the week. MIL made lemon cookies with dried cranberries and lemon icing. I can’t imagine why my pants are getting tight. Hot herbal tea and a homemade cookie at night is my current vice. Gave up alcohol a few months ago.

I have never tried kimchi. I want to I think but then I chicken out. I love sauerkraut.
If you like sauerkraut you will probably like kimchi. I like the Wild Brine Brand.

Air fryer roasted chicken with mashed potatoes and air fryer green beans. Whole chickens were on sale and it turned out really well. Comfort food on a chilly night. We boiled up a bunch of potatoes and took what we wanted for mashed potatoes out and will be freeze drying the rest for potato flakes.

I just made myself a bacon butty (partner cooked the bacon!) and I have no pictures because I ate it in about five seconds.

Light rye bread, olive oil spread (because that's what I had), shortcut bacon, and tomato sauce. Yum.

We're all packed and ready to leave for the airport in about two hours. We had a major snowmaker on Wednesday that closed schools and made for hazardous driving. More snow is expected this evening, so we can be happy that we're actually leaving winter behind :D

I will check in daily with a dining/food report. If you'd like to follow the voyage, visit the bridge cam for Enchanted Princess here: Princess Cruises: Bridge Cams. You can also watch the ship sail from Port Everglades at 3:30PM tomorrow here: Port Everglades Webcam - Live Streaming Video from PTZtv.

Last edited:
We're all packed and ready to leave for the airport in about two hours. We had a major snowmaker on Wednesday that closed schhols and made for hazardous driving. More snow is expected this evening, so we can be happy that we're actually leaving winter behind.

I will check in daily with a dining/food report. If you'd like to follow the voyage, visit the bridge cam for Enchanted Princess here: Princess Cruises: Bridge Cams. You can also watch the ship sail from Port Everglades at 3:30PM tomorrow here: Port Everglades Webcam - Live Streaming Video from PTZtv.

I hope you two have a lovely voyage! It will be nice to be warm and staring at the ocean instead of cold, ice and snow.

I bet the food displays will be wonderful. Looking forward to seeing photos and reading your descriptions!

I thawed out my dish of chili meat I made a week or so ago. The pot of chili smelled so good, I had it for breakfast. Doused in sour cream and cheese of course! It is 51 degrees this morning so chilly for us.

Attachments

• 2E3A9E43-84F1-4980-8827-BE07DBA3B088.jpeg
    2E3A9E43-84F1-4980-8827-BE07DBA3B088.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 8
I thawed out my dish of chili meat I made a week or so ago. The pot of chili smelled so good, I had it for breakfast. Doused in sour cream and cheese of course! It is 51 degrees this morning so chilly for us.
That's a stick-to-your-ribs breakfast, for sure :D Weather for Fort Lauderdale indicates it will be @70* when we arrive at 5:30PM. About 40* warmer than it is here.

This morning, we tossed out more than the usual number of walnuts for the squirrels. We hope they won't be mad when they don't get their daily ration while we're away.

That's a stick-to-your-ribs breakfast, for sure :D Weather for Fort Lauderdale indicates it will be @70* when we arrive at 5:30PM. About 40* warmer than it is here.

This morning, we tossed out more than the usual number of walnuts for the squirrels. We hope they won't be mad when they don't get their daily ration while we're away.
They can always dig up some of the nuts they squirreled away!

We're all packed and ready to leave for the airport in about two hours. We had a major snowmaker on Wednesday that closed schools and made for hazardous driving. More snow is expected this evening, so we can be happy that we're actually leaving winter behind :D

Bon Voyage, @BetteDavisEyes ! Have a wonderful trip.

Take out pizza for dinner, but I prepped more apples for the freeze dryer. Had to not run it for a couple of nights because it was too cold. It’s in my insulated but not heated shop and I’m worry about temps with the oil pump, so I am a few days behind on production. The apples and yogurt were a big hit at work.

Have Fun!

Greetings from not-so-sunny Fort Lauderdale. We have some time before we have to leave for the ship, so I thought I'd give you a pre-cruise food report. First off, on the plane, a woman sitting across the aisle and one row forward of me opened a small bag of what looked like Reese's Pieces. Several of the candies ended up in the aisle, a few next to my seat. A few minutes later, the lead flight attendant made an announcement that there was a customer onboard with a severe peanut allergy and for passengers to please put away any peanut products. First time I recall hearing such an announcement, but I'm glad that customer safety, including food allergies, is a priority,

DH and I both watched full-length movies during our flight; makes the time "fly" by :D I had sparkling water, DH had tomato juice, but we passed on the BBQ chips.

After we arrived at the hotel, we decided against walking to a nearby restaurant and, instead, went down to the lounge for something to eat and some wine. The full-service restaurant in the hotel only serves breakfast; the lounge opens at 11:00 and stays open late for cocktails, lunch, and dinner. They used to have a limited nibbles menu but now serve regular meals. DH had a club sandwich, and I asked if I could order the kid's chicken tenders meal. Best chicken tenders ever, and the meals came with fries, sweet potato fries, or salad. DH got fries, and I got the salad which was wonderful - so many types of greens with cucumber and tomato. We enjoyed a decent bottle of pinot grigio, went back to our room and watched figure skating. My birthday dinner was an unexpected surprise!

Time to say goodbye.

Greetings from not-so-sunny Fort Lauderdale. We have some time before we have to leave for the ship, so I thought I'd give you a pre-cruise food report. First off, on the plane, a woman sitting across the aisle and one row forward of me opened a small bag of what looked like Reese's Pieces. Several of the candies ended up in the aisle, a few next to my seat. A few minutes later, the lead flight attendant made an announcement that there was a customer onboard with a severe peanut allergy and for passengers to please put away any peanut products. First time I recall hearing such an announcement, but I'm glad that customer safety, including food allergies, is a priority,

DH and I both watched full-length movies during our flight; makes the time "fly" by :D I had sparkling water, DH had tomato juice, but we passed on the BBQ chips.

After we arrived at the hotel, we decided against walking to a nearby restaurant and, instead, went down to the lounge for something to eat and some wine. The full-service restaurant in the hotel only serves breakfast; the lounge opens at 11:00 and stays open late for cocktails, lunch, and dinner. They used to have a limited nibbles menu but now serve regular meals. DH had a club sandwich, and I asked if I could order the kid's chicken tenders meal. Best chicken tenders ever, and the meals came with fries, sweet potato fries, or salad. DH got fries, and I got the salad which was wonderful - so many types of greens with cucumber and tomato. We enjoyed a decent bottle of pinot grigio, went back to our room and watched figure skating. My birthday dinner was an unexpected surprise!

Time to say goodbye.
Thanks for keeping us posted -- Happy Birthday- sounds like your trip is off to a great start-- Wishing you and hubby a wonderful cruise-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong