IL IL - Lane Bryant Murders, Tinley Park, 2 Feb 2008

How he missed the last person is probably a combination of factors. Firing a gun indoors is extremely loud and can be intimidating to the shooter as well as the victim. I fired a .22 at a rat in a shed that stored grain and my ears were ringing from just that small caliber. He was probably in a rush to get out after the first 2-3 shots were likely heard outside. We also don't know how the victim was wearing her hair so the shooter thought he hit where her neck was. If this guy was shooting a medium caliber like a 9mm, .45 or .40 his ears were probably still ringing when he exited the building.
Your comment about her hair made me remember that there is mention in this thread that he put underwear on their heads. The break room where they were all held was probably very small. She may have also had blood splatter on her from the other victims that were shot before her.

Your comment about her hair made me remember that there is mention in this thread that he put underwear on their heads. The break room where they were all held was probably very small. She may have also had blood splatter on her from the other victims that were shot before her.
It's possible he was out of rounds as well. We don't know how many rounds he had. From the time of the 911 call until police arrived was only about 2 minutes. He had to get out of there very quickly. He wouldn't have had enough time to double check. RM did break free from the duct tape and made the phone call. It definetly makes sense that she was shot in a different manor than the other 5.

It's possible he was out of rounds as well. We don't know how many rounds he had. From the time of the 911 call until police arrived was only about 2 minutes. He had to get out of there very quickly. He wouldn't have had enough time to double check. RM did break free from the duct tape and made the phone call. It definetly makes sense that she was shot in a different manor than the other 5.
Per some of the articles I read he used a .40 cal. That is what is listed on the poster with the sketch. I've seen a few articles that list it as a Glock.

A .40 cal Glock could be a G-27 with a 9 round mag, although an extended mag which allows for a full size grip could have 10. There are also the G-22 (15 rds) and G-23 (13 rds). Assuming he fired 6 or 7 rounds or even 9 or 10 if he had a G-22 or G-23 he likely was not out of rounds. Which of these can't likely be determined from the spent shell casings. But 9mm and .40 cal Glocks have a distinctive groove pattern on the bullets and the casings were left at the scene.

This was one of the lead stories on the local news tonight with it being the 15th anniversary. They mentioned hoping to solve the case with a new detective and new technology. I assume by new technology they mean DNA geneaology.

I’ve lived my whole life 3 miles from there. I remember we had a student-teacher in HS at the time who resembled the sketch because he had braids. Other classmates would joke it was him. Felt bad for him as he was a super nice, personable guy.

Jan 25 2023

rbbm.
''CHICAGO (CBS) -- The Village of Tinley Park is vowing to keep searching for the person who killed five women at a Lane Bryant store nearly 15 years ago.

On Feb. 2, 2008, the gunman entered the Lane Bryant store at 191st and Harlem and announced a robbery. He took the store manager, an employee, and four customers to the back, and shot them all.

Store manager Rhoda McFarland, 42, of Joliet; Connie Woolfolk, 37, of Flossmoor; Sarah Szafranski, 22, of Oak Forest; Carrie Hudek Chiuso, 33, of Frankfort; and Jennifer Bishop, 34, of South Bend, were all killed. A sixth woman was also shot and wounded.

Five years ago, Michigan State Police helped create a 3D version of the original sketch of the suspected gunman, which was compiled from eyewitness accounts. Authorities used facial identification technology to make the original sketches of the suspect more lifelike''.

''Despite the time that's gone by, Tinley Park officials said they're committed to finding the killer.
Last year, two new detectives took over the case, and the village said police have funding to keep investigating.''
1674738809257.png

Jan 31 2023 rbbm
''In the years that followed the shocking and tragic crime, investigators say they have received some close calls, but the puzzle over what happened and who did it remains just out of reach.''

''Tinley Park police described what happened as a robbery-gone-wrong. It ended shortly after store manager, Rhoda McFarland called 9-1-1. The killer’s voice can then be heard, muffled on the other end.

The call’s audio remains on the Tinley Park Police Department's website on a page dedicated to the case.
LISTEN HERE

It's a case Det. Ray Violetto has long believed could be solved.''

“I think eventually one day, someone is going to come forward and with the evidence, we’re going to have conclusion to the case,“ Violetto said.''

“I know that somebody knows who it is that did it," Talos said, adding that that person has kept it a secret for a long time. “Even him, I mean why doesn’t he come forth and finally give in? It’s got to be eating at you somehow. You know, there’s a lot of healing that happens when you turn yourself in and admit what you did.”

The Tinley Park Police Department is offering a $100,000 reward for any information leading to the arrest of the offender. The reward is not dependent on a conviction.''

The Tinley Park tip hotline is (708) 444-5394 or via email at lanebryant.tipline@tinleypark.org

Lane Bryant Murders: New Theories Emerge As Tinley Park Shootings Remain Unsolved After 15 Years

FOX 32 Chicago - Jan 31, 2023

Thats interesting. One of my theories is it was a group of people and the guy in the sketch was from out of town. I think he could have been working with people from the area that he knew (friends/family/associates). I say this because no one recognized the guy in the sketch, but being from the area, I think someone would have to know the roads in order to get away undetected without causing some major scene. I think it’s highly possible the guys he was working with offed him after the sketch was released to cover their own butts. I think the evidence shows there was at least once accomplice in the parking lot.
I’ve also researched people that went missing from surrounding areas and were murdered shortly after the sketch was released. I think the police should do this. It’s interesting.

Thats interesting. One of my theories is it was a group of people and the guy in the sketch was from out of town. I think he could have been working with people from the area that knew the are that he was friends/family/associated with. I say this because no one recognized the guy in the sketch, but being from the area, I think someone would have to know the roads in order to get away undetected without causing some major scene. I think it’s highly possible the guys he was working with offed him after the sketch was released to cover their own butts. I think the evidence shows there was at least once accomplice in the parking lot.
Just about to pose a similar sentiment about the possibility that the perp was from out of town.
Reminded of a very recently solved 1983 cold case concerning the brutal murders of two women in Toronto, Canada.

LE thought there was a good chance the perp was deceased because even though they had DNA, nobody ever turned up in the system, but now we know why after genealogy and Othram ''found'' the alleged perp in a small remote First Nation village, where he had been hiding out all these years! imo.fwiw

Nov 2022
''Last week — via a combination of advanced genetic sequencing, forensic genealogy and traditional police work that’s now regularly cracking open decades-old cases — investigators arrested 60-year-old Joseph George Sutherland from Moosonee, Ont., a remote community far removed from the slayings that police allege he committed nearly 40 years ago''.

I wonder if this guy left his spent shell casings behind. Is it possible to get a partial fingerprint or, better yet, DNA off of them?
2019 We have come a long way since then, hope they catch the cruel son of a gun! imo.

''Previously, to remove DNA from casings, the lab would moisten a cotton swab and rub it over the metal. But their success rate was less than 1%. This was proving to be a problem for many cities across the country struggling to solve shootings and homicides. Police often find that shell casings they collect from a crime scene are their most valuable evidence. Ballistic testing can offer clues about what kind of gun was used and, sometimes, whether that same gun was used in another crime. But the casings seldom yielded fruitful DNA results, and the San Diego Police Department, like many others, had stopped testing them.

Until 2014. That’s when DNA scientist Shawn Monpetit of the SDPD began researching the subject and came across a 2011 study in which Dutch scientists recovered DNA from about a quarter of the casings tested using a new method. This new technique required scientists to soak the casings for about half an hour in tubes filled with a cocktail of chemicals that break open cells and release DNA so it can then be isolated and tested. “Think of it like soaking your dishes,” said Kristin Beyers, one of the lab’s supervising criminalists.''

Thats interesting. One of my theories is it was a group of people and the guy in the sketch was from out of town. I think he could have been working with people from the area that he knew (friends/family/associates). I say this because no one recognized the guy in the sketch, but being from the area, I think someone would have to know the roads in order to get away undetected without causing some major scene. I think it’s highly possible the guys he was working with offed him after the sketch was released to cover their own butts. I think the evidence shows there was at least once accomplice in the parking lot.
I’ve also researched people that went missing from surrounding areas and were murdered shortly after the sketch was released. I think the police should do this. It’s interesting.

I'm starting to also believe more and more that he is dead. You can crawl under a rock for so long, but eventually everyone makes a mistake. The fact that nothing has come about in 15 years, at least that we know about anyway. leads me to the conclusion he might be dead. That being said, yes I still believe there are multiple people involved in this and someday the truth will come out.

I wonder if this guy left his spent shell casings behind. Is it possible to get a partial fingerprint or, better yet, DNA off of them?
This article says there is dna and prints. If I remember correctly he left something. I‘ve heard rumors they have his coffee cup. Also I think it’s possible they have his hat. He was wearing one when he entered the store but the sketch doesn’t have one. I bet he removed it. He left so fast so he made mistakes. I’d love to know if he left his delivery papers.

Fifteen years ago today. Future technology may help solve the case and police reveal they DO have more audio of the suspect. I hope they can solve this case, it has always bothered me so much. Future technology may help solve Tinley Park Lane Bryant murders

A few takeaways from this article. Yes someone with knowledge of the case finally admits there was likely more than one participant in this crime. Those cars, or at least one of them played a role in the getaway at the very least.

Also he mentions that they have more audio from the killer than what we have heard. This is the first time I have heard or read that there is more audio. I wonder what more he said. It may put some context to the motive. Who knows, it may help jog someone's memory.

TP police declined to do a story for the 15th anniversary. While I understand not wanting to give too much away and jeopardize a potential trial, I wish they were a little bit more transparent. It seems like they are trying to solve this case in a vacuum. It has been 15 years now. If they were going to solve it they way they have been doing it, they would have solved it by now. In my opinion.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708
Back