TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to go back to Google Maps and look at the area again. I thought there was only one or two ways out of that subdivision, but not so. There are about 4. So how did the killer know to park off Princeton Place Dr.? Prior trips to the area in the morning to observe their usual departures? The only exit onto Kuykendahl that appears to have a stop light is thru London Way Dr. and there isn't one at Princeton Place Dr. There is a large strip mall at that intersection though and another place to park to watch that exit.

I still wonder that not only were there prior trips there in the morning, but that they used a different vehicle or vehicles.

Down to motive. IF this is about jealousy of SB and EB's relatationship and happiness WHY the focus on Elizabeth solely? Why not both? Possible, but I don't buy it. IF jealousy is the motive why not shoot both while setting up the sale? If it is jealousy why Ellizabeth over SB?

I'm convinced that more folks knew about a garage sale than was earlier indicated.

I came away with this impression too..

Then there is the return trip to drive by. To verify she is not moving and still down? Photograph it with a phone? Or - and this is really sick - to admire their work?

Iirc one of the stoner videos suggested they might have rerouted to avoid police response, (going off-road for a brief jaunt since they went down a cul-de-sac and never came back out again,). I havent studied the maps and surveillance well enough to form an opinion but I thought this was an interesting take.

Down to motive. IF this is about jealousy of SB and EB's relatationship and happiness WHY the focus on Elizabeth solely? Why not both? Possible, but I don't buy it. IF jealousy is the motive why not shoot both while setting up the sale? If it is jealousy why Ellizabeth over SB?

Agreed; I can't quite envision the "jealousy of a happy relationship" angle.. this argument about why Liz as opposed to both also weighs into considerations about it being a neighbor; If it was an upset neighbor is there reason to think they'd be specifically upset with Liz rather than the pair? (And if so, it seems more likely that Liz and Sergio would be aware of it... As opposed to a general beef like "they're too loud!" Or "they never clean up their leaves"..)

From interviews with her neighbors, she was described as a warm and giving person..Nobody had anything but good things to say about them both. They were well-liked in the neighborhood, it seemed. What would be the motive? I don't understand this line of thinking...

If the shooter is a female, it makes sense that Elizabeth would be targeted.

I had to go back to Google Maps and look at the area again. I thought there was only one or two ways out of that subdivision, but not so. There are about 4. So how did the killer know to park off Princeton Place Dr.? Prior trips to the area in the morning to observe their usual departures? The only exit onto Kuykendahl that appears to have a stop light is thru London Way Dr. and there isn't one at Princeton Place Dr. There is a large strip mall at that intersection though and another place to park to watch that exit.

I still wonder that not only were there prior trips there in the morning, but that they used a different vehicle or vehicles.
Is there any way you can post the map? I would like to see it.

From interviews with her neighbors, she was described as a warm and giving person..Nobody had anything but good things to say about them both. They were well-liked in the neighborhood, it seemed. What would be the motive? I don't understand this line of thinking...

I think the only reason it comes up is that a neighbor would know the schedules, know about the yard sale, know where cameras are, etc . But right there's nothing at all by way of motive that I've heard.

I won’t have time to watch the interview until next week, but after reading everyone’s posts about it. My big takeaway is, why did LE polygraph Amber if she didn’t meet Sergio until a year after Liz died? Would they waste their time and resources to quiet internet sleuths if they were 100% confident Amber didn’t know SB & EB?
Yep, people will think what they want... who cares if you know your truth. No judgement here though. moo

Because the motive is so difficult to imagine, I keep coming back to any area in her life where she might have had decision making that impacted someone’s life and caused a murderous grudge. I don’t think she had hiring/firing capacities in her main job…but what about at the part-time job?

But my main focus keeps returning to her volunteer work. What exactly was her official capacity in her volunteer job for the 501? As her Father described this group, it seems like a prestigious organization that is not easy to join, mainly because of the costuming. I can see someone working hard, spending a lot of money creating a costume that then was rejected. Was E ever the contact person for prospective members? Was she ever a decision maker as to rejection or membership? Someone could seethe over that rejection and the loss of time and money.

The weird outfit on the Killer could almost have been a bitter…. “So how do you like THIS costume?’

Or did her position with the 501 involve scheduling visits…did she have the power to decide who got a visit? I can imagine someone whose child or loved one was turned down and then died, having their grief turn into rage that this one important bit of happiness was denied them by E.

But do we even know if she had any decision making power like that…anywhere?

A more lengthy interview than I expected. A few interesting bits of info come out of it. After hearing this, I'm convinced that more folks knew about a garage sale than was earlier indicated. But it was by word of mouth. I now wonder if this killer made earlier trips to her area during January on Wednesdays and Thursdays to check for garage sale signs. By waiting till the last Fri-Sat before the trip the killer knew if she was still committed to it then that Friday was the day. So the trip earlier in the morning was for:
- Check for garage sale signs to confirm the event,
- See if SB had the company vehicle so they would know what to look for,
- and maybe a dry run on the possible alternate exit.

The killer never touched her at any time and used a revolver to avoid leaving shell casings. They appear to have worn a disguise and waited till just as SB left. According to the timeline the killer arrives about the same time as SB is leaving so they almost missed seeing him leave. (I wonder if they were someplace else prior to parking at the school and just watching the entrance to the subdivision?) Elizabeth could be a random victim of some psycho, but I highly doubt it. Too well planned. It really seems personal. I believe the killer was either someone she did not know OR she didn't immediately recognize due to disguise because when she said 'Good morning' she didn't say a name. I still can't believe how well planned this appeared to be and the boldness of the killing.

Then there is the return trip to drive by. To verify she is not moving and still down? Photograph it with a phone? Or - and this is really sick - to admire their work?

If this was personal and she did not know her killer then more one person knows about this. Someone else must at least suspect something due to something like coming to work late that day, for example. Of course, that someone could be one who just doesn't keep up with the news and, therefore, doesn't know enough details to connect the dots.
Agreed with a lot of your post.

However, moo, there is something that I’ve not wavered on and that is why shooter drove back by the crime scene. LE responded quickly that morning thanks to quick response from neighbors' call to 911. As shooter is driving away and making its getaway I'm curious if sirens could be heard and lights seen or possibly trucker used police scanner? Truck had no choice but to turn around and drive back by the murder and create a new escape route?

This is a matter of opinion and not fact.

I can take a walk around my neighborhood and see placement/position of cameras and know which neighbors have cameras cctv, etc. Curious if driver or accomplice ever took on such a task? moo

As we now know (recent interview video w/Liz's parents) the garage sale wasn't a last minute decision. Liz talked about it for probably a good month and started gathering items together for the sale. Liz's parents probably heard the week before the sale that she finally decided to go ahead with the garage sale.

Link

Okay, so who set Liz up? Who wanted unsuspecting and defenseless Liz on her driveway alone?

Let's go back to who Liz may have spoken with during the month of the indecisive anticipated garage sale? Imagine did she speak with any friends, colleagues, cosplay people, acquaintances about it?

If so, imagine if she was encouraged to have the garage sale, maybe even was told (example) they know someone who recently went to Universal Studios and its really expensive there and you need all the extra cash possible?

moo

If the killer drove through the green belt, it wasn't by choice. Too suspicious, imho. Could likely have heard sirens, gotten lost/turned around, and then when confronted with the cul-de-sac took the risk versus going back on surface streets with cops responding?

Super-risky to carry out a crime like this at that time of day in a residential neighborhood. Only extreme hatred or a big payday would warrant this level of risk. No one can substantiate either as a motive, but if we are to believe that Liz was kind and free of enemies, then who put out the hit? SOMEBODY gained SOMETHING from her death. Now, I have heard of cases where a man has a argument/fight/break-up with his significant other and goes trolling for someone to take their rage out on-not uncommon at all-but this crime has so many moving parts that this seems only remotely possible.

You have a crime that resembles a vengeance killing or paid hit, yet we lack motive, since apparently insurance monies have not been paid out (to my knowledge). We have no affairs, ties to gangs or criminal activity. The level of violence was extreme, reflecting a certain and calculated act of ambush and escape. I can only see money or love/lack of love as the motives here. Yet, we could find out tomorrow that the killer had no link to Liz whatsoever. I do think that raising the reward to $100,000 would bring in that one much-needed break. Until then, we are all grasping at straws.

Agreed with a lot of your post.

However, moo, there is something that I’ve not wavered on and that is why shooter drove back by the crime scene. LE responded quickly that morning thanks to quick response from neighbors' call to 911. As shooter is driving away and making its getaway I'm curious if sirens could be heard and lights seen or possibly trucker used police scanner? Truck had no choice but to turn around and drive back by the murder and create a new escape route?

This is a matter of opinion and not fact.
Am I correct in remembeing Liz's street ended in a cul-de-saq? So, killer had to turn around and drive back by the crime scene to exit the same way he came in?

Am I correct in remembeing Liz's street ended in a cul-de-saq? So, killer had to turn around and drive back by the crime scene to exit the same way he came in?
IIRC, yes, but you still had a few options... turn right onto Smoke Lake Dr or go further down the road and turn left onto Sandusky Dr. Both of these streets were through streets. Need to double check info, though. moo

Neighborhood is a maze of cul-de-sacs, iirc.

I can take a walk around my neighborhood and see placement/position of cameras and know which neighbors have cameras cctv, etc. Curious if driver or accomplice ever took on such a task? moo
If I were going to do it I'd probably do it on a old mountain bike. With a helmet, sunglasses and a balaclava like I wear in the winter I wouldn't be recognizable and I could putt along at slow speed. I believe there is a bike path/walking trail nearby. Start down that and deviate into the neighborhood. Also, two fitness centers within a 5-6 minute walk. Park there and go jogging. With a ball cap and sunglasses.

IIRC, yes, but you still had a few options... turn right onto Smoke Lake Dr or go further down the road and turn left onto Sandusky Dr. Both of these streets were through streets. Need to double check info, though. moo

Neighborhood is a maze of cul-de-sacs, iirc.
Yes, I have just taken several virtual drive throughs around that neighborhood. Easy to end up in a cul-de-saq. I think the killer had no problem doing a turn-around so he could quickly exit the same way he entered.

That’s the part that always throws me. The killer turned around to park facing out the way he/she came in so he/she should have kept driving straight out the way he/she was facing. But instead he/she turned around and went back into the neighborhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieSnoop1975