Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
New information here about how the dog was found Police hunting missing mum search river & perimeter of deserted house

Snipped for clarity -
Meanwhile, a business owner who raised the alarm about Ms Bulley's disappearance has spoken for the first time of the moment she came across her 'worried' dog by the side of a river.

The woman, who did not want be named, spotted brown springer spaniel Willow running free on the river bank on Friday morning.

She also found Nicola's mobile phone on a bench by the side of the river, under a tree which has a sign warning of deep water nailed to it.

Bizarrely, Willow was running free and the woman found the dog's harness on the floor next to the river.

She called her daughter-in-law who called Nicola's long-term partner Paul, who dialled 999.

The woman, who runs a business in picturesque St Michaels on Wyre, said she knew of Nicola and hoped nothing 'bad' had happened to her.

Speaking today, she said: 'I saw the dog and I recognised it, but I suddenly couldn't think whose dog it was.

'There was a mobile phone on the bench and there was also something between the bench and the river so I went and looked, and it was a dog harness.

'The dog looked worried so I tied her up and rushed home as I had to go to an appointment.

'I then went and spoke to my daughter-in-law and she immediately knew who the dog was, alerted the woman's partner and that was it - the police were on it.'
@Jade848484

The harness being on the ground close to the river is new information and, I'm afraid to say, not very encouraging in terms of this having a happy ending. The dog being upset is also new information, and also doesn't bode well.
Could Willow have been unable to get out of the river and NB bent over to reach down and get here and then the harness came off she then lost her balance and went head first into the river thus possible head injury ? PURE SPECULATION and JMO this would explain no slip marks on the embankment ?

I obviously dont know and my thoughts are a million percent with her family at this terrible time. They must all be beside themselves with worry. Its been all ive thought about for days!

Interesting bit regarding her work and state of mind (BBM)

"Recalling their last conversation, he said: "Her mind was great, we picked the children up the Thursday before she went missing, as we do every Thursday.

"We took them home, Nicola had had a meeting with her boss in Garstang and she said can you stay a bit later because I have an important client coming in on Zoom. We said 'no problem' and stayed.

"She had done her work and she was very upbeat about getting her mortgage sorted."
I agree with this and thought the same; although IMO I would say often even closest members of family don’t know how someone is really feeling. I did something silly when I was younger and it came as a real shock to my family. Just saying, someone can mask MH issues.

The harness being on the ground close to the river is new information and, I'm afraid to say, not very encouraging in terms of this having a happy ending.
What scenarios are you considering?
Asking really just out of interest, as I am having a hard time fitting that into any scenario, tbh. If she just let the dog loose to run (and either walked off with any intent or got in non-dog-related water trouble), the harness would be on/near the bench; if she went to rescue the dog and got in trouble, the harness would be either in the water and long gone or around the dog. And even if someone else had staged the scene, I'd think the harness would also be either near the phone or in the water tbh.

Maybe the dog got in trouble, she went after it, got it free from something by taking the harness off and letting it swim back to shrore, threw the harness onto the ground after it and then slipped in an extremely unfortunate way on her way back? Dunno, still seems super unlikely, especially with nothing being found. But it's the best I can do atm.

Could Willow have been unable to get out of the river and NB bent over to reach down and get here and then the harness came off she then lost her balance and went head first into the river thus possible head injury ? PURE SPECULATION and JMO this would explain no slip marks on the embankment ?

I obviously dont know and my thoughts are a million percent with her family at this terrible time. They must all be beside themselves with worry. Its been all ive thought about for days!
Or Willow's harness snagged on something in the water and Nicola went in and unclipped it to free her. Maybe then threw it onto the bank? Then something happened.

I think this is what has happened.

The harness being on the ground close to the river is new information and, I'm afraid to say, not very encouraging in terms of this having a happy ending. The dog being upset is also new information, and also doesn't bode well.
I wonder if Willow got trapped in some brush and she went to free her and either experienced a medical event that caused her to fall in or hit her own head having saved Willow?
But it's not a huge area and the video contained in the link shows shallow water in parts as the S&R are walking it in parts

My heart is sinking now.

Then something happened.
Yeah, I reach the same point.
And cannot come up with anything likely, that happened.
I mean, sure, it was neither a missile from Russia nor human trafficking, but wth it was? Fist-ever stroke with really bad timing? An Extra Slippery Rock? The only thing I can think of is that she somehow fell lying down into the cold water and either hit her head real bad or got into so much of a shock that she was unable to get out.

How you can drift away never to be found in a river with an average depth under 50cm while wearing your winter coat and as a search team is looking for you like almost in an hour, no idea. But it's not impossible, I suppose.

That last aerial photo (the one with ‘abandoned’ house, which I think is opposite the bench?), the water looks much deeper.

The harness being next to the river does add weight to the argument that Nicola was next to the river herself (to remove the harness, throw a ball, pick up after the dog - could be any/all of these). A slip or a stumble and she could be in the water.

From this article, if her parents collected the children on Thursday, as they do every Thursday, then she would not have been doing the school run on Friday, presumably.
"Recalling their last conversation, he said:
"Her mind was great, we picked the children up the Thursday before she went missing, as we do every Thursday.

"We took them home, Nicola had had a meeting with her boss in Garstang and she said can you stay a bit later because I have an important client coming in on Zoom. We said 'no problem' and stayed.

"She had done her work and she was very upbeat about getting her mortgage sorted."

i read this that the parents took them back to Nicolas and watched them at hers until she was done with her work commitments.

No mention of the school here - unless the business-owner witness's daughter-in-law works there?
Noticed this too, it was her daughter in law who called PA - so obv close enough to have his number in her contacts unless she worked at the school yes that would make sense jmo. And now we know this lady found the phone and not the police which would maybe explain why PA called police so quick, kinda..

"Recalling their last conversation, he said:
"Her mind was great, we picked the children up the Thursday before she went missing, as we do every Thursday.

i read this that the parents took them back to Nicolas and watched them at hers until she was done with her work commitments.
I read that excatly the same way, it was an important client on Zoom for work purposes and her parents stayed to look after the children until after she finished work. It could however be possibly another piece of key information as it was possibly the last time anyone apart from her family spoke to her before she went missing. IMO

How you can drift away never to be found in a river with an average depth under 50cm while wearing your winter coat and as a search team is looking for you like almost in an hour, no idea. But it's not impossible, I suppose.
People keep saying the water is only 50cm deep, but where are they getting this from?? I know that below the weir was under 50cm, but where are people seeing the depth of the water near the bench?

With water temps in the single figures she may not have even needed to hit her head. Cold water shock alone can cause a heart attack in seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard