California cops fatally shot a double amputee

This is actually insane. Perhaps if he was in his wheelchair waving a gun around there would have been more “justification” for officers to fear for their lives. But according to all accounts he was OUT OF HIS WHEELCHAIR using his arms to move along the ground. While somehow still threatening officers with a knife? <modsnip - not an approved source> but this one really takes the cake in its ridiculousness. Rest in peace Anthony Lowe, Jr.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn’t c anything about this I can’t believe this I really can’t
I also am shocked into silence. I couldn't watch the video. Even if Anthony Lowe stabbed someone with a knife, was there really no other option to bring him into custody? Were a collection of law officers really so intimidated by a man in a wheelchair with a knife that killing him was the only option? I hope the person stabbed makes a full recovery, and this incident is fully investigated and justice is brought to those responsible for Anthony Lowe's death.

This is actually insane. Perhaps if he was in his wheelchair waving a gun around there would have been more “justification” for officers to fear for their lives. But according to all accounts he was OUT OF HIS WHEELCHAIR using his arms to move along the ground. While somehow still threatening officers with a knife? <modsnip - not an approved source> but this one really takes the cake in its ridiculousness. Rest in peace Anthony Lowe, Jr.
I agree with you that’s sick

I also am shocked into silence. I couldn't watch the video. Even if Anthony Lowe stabbed someone with a knife, was there really no other option to bring him into custody? Were a collection of law officers really so intimidated by a man in a wheelchair with a knife that killing him was the only option? I hope the person stabbed makes a full recovery, and this incident is fully investigated and justice is brought to those responsible for Anthony Lowe's death.
I also agree with you I just don’t know what 2 say or think anymore about authority god for bid I have a 16 year old son with autism and a 2 year old son and I fear 4 their lives 4 what the future holds in the sense the world is so crazy and cruel it breaks my heart that this is still happening the way it is

How did a man in a wheelchair stab another person?

From the article:

Police said they got a call that a man was stabbed by another man in a wheelchair. Officers said when they arrived on the scene they found Lowe with a 12-inch butcher knife.

Here is another article, which provides more details:

The stabbing victim described his attacker as a man in a wheelchair. The attacker allegedly “dismounted the wheelchair, ran to the victim without provocation, and stabbed him in the side of the chest” with a “12-inch butcher knife,” before fleeing the scene in the wheelchair.

In the search for the assailant, they located the alleged suspect, later identified as Lowe, a few blocks away, holding a knife. Huntington police said its officers attempted to detain the man, but authorities said he ignored verbal orders and “threatened to advance or throw the knife at the officers.” They also said they tasered the suspect twice.

How did a man in a wheelchair stab another person?

From the article:

Police said they got a call that a man was stabbed by another man in a wheelchair. Officers said when they arrived on the scene they found Lowe with a 12-inch butcher knife.
Perhaps the person stabbed was also disabled, maybe more so than AW. It appears that AW was able to move about using his arms and his remaining portions of legs, enough to allegedly assault/stab someone.

MIND BLOWN, of course he was trying his best to get away!!!

“[his sister] said that his legs had been amputated after an altercation with law enforcement in Texas, and that the family also has questions about that incident”

Perhaps the person stabbed was also disabled, maybe more so than AW. It appears that AW was able to move about using his arms and his remaining portions of legs, enough to allegedly assault/stab someone.
That’s crazy <modsnip - off topic>

MIND BLOWN, of course he was trying his best to get away!!!

“[his sister] said that his legs had been amputated after an altercation with law enforcement in Texas, and that the family also has questions about that incident”

He was trying to get away because he just stabbed a man. I would be interested to know more about the Texas encounter where he lost his legs.

From the updated article:

“The suspect dismounted his wheelchair, ran to the victim without provocation, and stabbed him in the side of the chest with a 12” butcher knife,” police said in the statement. “The suspect then ran back to the wheelchair and fled the scene in the wheelchair.”

Officers later found Lowe nearby carrying a large knife and ignoring their commands, the statement said. He “threatened to advance or throw the knife” at police, who deployed two Tasers in an attempt to subdue him, the statement said. When that didn’t work, Lowe was shot and died on the sidewalk, it said.

JMO but there is a lot to sort out here. But if he was able to get out of his wheelchair and run to the victim and stab him with a butcher knife, then run back to his wheelchair and flee the scene, maybe he did appear to be a threat to officers or others.

Allegedly he threatened to throw the 12”butcher knife at officers or advance, and if he had been able to run to a victim who had not even provoked him, it might have been reasonable to assume he could run to another victim or victims. They did taze him twice before shooting him.

Not saying it was justified or anything like that, just attempting to look at both sides of the situation.

JMO and my personal experience with the physical capabilities of persons who are experiencing a mental health issue. They can be very combative and dangerous to rescue workers and responding officers.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eagerhuntress
Back