MI MI - Julia Niswender, 23, EMU student, Ypsilanti, 10 Dec 2012 - #6

Black Squirrel, the points you make were stated by the retired detective in news articles. I am not going to post the links as I do not want to further perpetuate info that LE working the case have chosen not to release.

It’s noble that the mother wants to point to this info as potential evidence that her ex-husband wasn’t the Perp, or there are other (unamed) POI’s, but releasing case info to the general public contaminates the integrity of the investigation.

This should be left to LE and the DA to release info during an active investigation. Just my amateur opinion.

Amateur opinion and speculation
After 10 years without results, I think the time has past to simply trust the lead detective to know what she is doing. Putting out new information helps to get new focus on this case and supports the effort to have new investigative teams at the state police or elsewhere have a look at this case. Most of the details about the case that we know doesn't come from detective Yuhas, but from the current lead detective Coppock. She allowed the affidavit of the search warrant to be made public in the investigation. This affidavit contained a lot of information about the crime scene, autopsy etc. Information that would ordinarily never be released to the public. This was all in a failed attempt to go after Julia's (step)dad JT. There was neither enough evidence to prove that JT was involved in Julia's murder, nor was there enough evidence for possesion of child abusive materials.

Yuhas did not really reveal any "new" information. Most of what he said has been covered by the news media. He did present his "theory" which I feel was not based on any facts for this case. I still believe that the person(s) who did this - did it late Sunday evening to very early Monday morning. I believe they left before the roommates returned on early Monday morning. Also, Julia was very "social" and her text messages seemed to stop just before midnight Sunday. Also Yuhas said he thought it could be a serial killer..... wow, that's news. If the killer's DNA had been found at another crime scene anywhere in the country, whether or not his true ID was known, the Michigan State Police crime lab would have been notified of a match in COPIS and where it was located. The MSP crime lab would have notified YPD if there ever was a match in CODIS. A serial killer would have done more murders in the last 10 years. I would love to see YPD work with the Cold Case Foundation and hopefully solve Julia's murder. If YPD has DNA but has not had it tested by Parabon NanoLabs or Othram Labs, then they really have no idea who they should be looking for! All of this is just my opinion.
Yeah, if they have DNA, othram could tie it up quickly. It's inexcusable to leave family members without some sort of answers after this long, if they have a way to get answers.

After 10 years without results, I think the time has past to simply trust the lead detective to know what she is doing. Putting out new information helps to get new focus on this case and supports the effort to have new investigative teams at the state police or elsewhere have a look at this case. Most of the details about the case that we know doesn't come from detective Yuhas, but from the current lead detective Coppock. She allowed the affidavit of the search warrant to be made public in the investigation. This affidavit contained a lot of information about the crime scene, autopsy etc. Information that would ordinarily never be released to the public. This was all in a failed attempt to go after Julia's (step)dad JT. There was neither enough evidence to prove that JT was involved in Julia's murder, nor was there enough evidence for possesion of child abusive materials.
Well, I think there is one thing you and I can agree upon completely; it’s time to permit outside help like Othram Labs to assist.

That said, my concern is that if those gloves were planted, I certainly hope there is more DNA evidence besides them.

I keep dwelling on a profile of who the Perp(s) are, and IMO, it is someone with knowledge far beyond the general populace.

We are all very familiar with CeCe Moore and Parabon NanoLabs. CeCe is familiar with Julia's case and would love to be involved. I have corresponded with her many times and all she is waiting for is to have YPD request her assistance. This is the only way YPD will know who they are looking for. Right now, they have no idea.

We are all very familiar with CeCe Moore and Parabon NanoLabs. CeCe is familiar with Julia's case and would love to be involved. I have corresponded with her many times and all she is waiting for is to have YPD request her assistance. This is the only way YPD will know who they are looking for. Right now, they have no idea.
Parabon is great, and I am a particular fan of Othram; they are a cold case solving machine! A small department like YPD surely could use the additional help, and I hope if you and your family can meet with the Mayor and D.A. (With the CCF), you can gain agreement.

First, my thoughts are with this family. Can you imagine the turmoil, anguish, and pain they have experienced over this T-E-N year period?! Unfathomable.

With due respect to the retired detective, a possible suspect pacing back and forth in the open risking detection, doesn't line up with the ninja arrival and disappearance of the Perp. I'm respectfully skeptical of this pacing POI theory. Doesn't add up.

My amateur analysis is that this is someone Julia knew well; they had a reason to silence her, and they knew how to cover their tracks....expertly. This was not some random mad man. This is someone who has knowledge and expertise beyond the general public.

I agree, who ever took Julia’s life, seemed to know that she would be home alone. It did seem she was the target.

It's time for the truth to come out. It's been far too long!
Retired Detective Yuhas was the original lead detective who has insights to all of it. I'm glad he is able to speak now.
Why didn’t Yuhas speak back then, when he was on the case? Why is it that YPSI PD hasn’t gone public, pleading for any information? I agree that YPSI seemed to possibly screw up on Julia’s investigation, but it also sounded like the Turnquist family wasn’t real cooperative either. I just hope that YPSI excepts outside help & the family, friends & co workers would be as helpful as they can be.

It’s encouraging that Julia’s case got so much coverage. However, it will all be for nothing unless Michigan law enforcement takes a more vigorous approach in leveraging the advancements in DNA testing.

I remember reading post in here from years ago, that they had DNA, matter a fact, I think it was more then one male DNA. Gotta wonder why they haven’t sent it off to Parabon or one of those type businesses. Maybe they don’t have much dna

If specifically, Ypsilanti PD takes a more vigorous approach. There is no other "Michigan law enforcement" involved.
Wonder if the family knows yet who at the Michigan State Police was that made the decision not to take on Julia’s cold case? I think I would just keep trying to plead with them to take on Julia’s case.

Amateur opinion and speculation only

In rereading Black Squirrels post, and dwelling on their speculation that this may be a serial killer, one thing in particular stands out for me; the bloody gloves.

Sensitivity alert - I am going to discuss amateur speculations that are graphic. Please do not read further if you would find graphic speculations upsetting. No disrespect to Julia's memory, or her family.

In rereading some old articles about the DNA evidence found at the crime scene, there is speculation that the gloves were "planted" there. I don't believe that is so, and here's why. We know Julia's blood was found on the discarded, twisted gloves. I'm guessing they got twisted taking them off. I wonder if LE was able to capture any skin cells or hairs from the gloves? Once the gloves were removed, I wonder if any latent prints were captured anywhere in Julia's personal living quarters? But back to the gloves...

We know Julia had a deep contusion on her tongue, which would account for the blood. From my amateur research, this type of tongue contusion is consistent with strangulation. I have not heard of any other wounds on her body that caused bleeding, so I am assuming that the blood on the gloves came from her tongue contusion.

Keeping with my line of speculation, who goes to the trouble of wearing gloves and then leaving them at the crime scene? Someone very bold. Someone bold enough to have possibly been in the room when Julia's roomie came back to pick things up, and had the (T.v. or radio?) blaring to presumably cover up sounds of struggle.

Who was bold enough to allegedly stay at the crime scene for a protracted period of time? Who is clever enough to have alluded local law enforcement, the MSP crime lab, and the FBI?

This is not a novice Perp, and Squirrel's speculation that this could be a serial killer is certainly worthy of additional examination. And to reinforce, I do *not* think there is a correlation to some random guy pacing around as seen on some alleged video. Nope. This Perp is not someone who would be captured on video, pacing or otherwise. This Perp is smart, and stealthy.

All we really know is that ten years have slipped away without Justice for Julia....and with how many others on the Perp's target list? This was not random; he is well planned and operationalized...and that type of sadism doesn't stop until arrested, or dead.

Amateur opinion and speculation only
I too think this was a planned murder, not an accident. I agree that the gloves were probably not a plant. But let’s face it, the killer (killers) may have made a mistake. But why would they have taken off the gloves before they left Julia’s bedroom? That would make no sense to me. They took the time to remove pillow cases, removed whatever ligatures they used, sounds like they packed more then a few things up before they left Julia’s room. If they took stuff out of her purse you would think there would have been finger prints, if she was sexually assaulted (there was seminal fluid found) you would have also think that there would have been male hairs found in her bedroom. I just think the murders really knew she was alone and took their time.

May I suggest you and your family members align and attend one of the Ypsilanti virtual town council meetings that are held virtually the first and third Tuesdays of every month at 7pm EST. You will only have 2-3 minutes to speak so your request needs to be prepared ahead of time, and delivered without accusation. I would have a member of the Cold Case Foundation speak on your behalf if they are willing to do so, expressing how they are willing to help. Further, I would end your statement with a request in this public forum to meet with the Mayor and have the Cold Case Foundation explain what they are proposing further.

Link to info on joining the City Council Meeting:
Mayor & City Council | Ypsilanti, MI

Link with info on how to contact the Mayor's office:
Elected Officials | Ypsilanti, MI

Are you planning on attending or someone in your family?

I too think this was a planned murder, not an accident. I agree that the gloves were probably not a plant. But let’s face it, the killer (killers) may have made a mistake. But why would they have taken off the gloves before they left Julia’s bedroom? That would make no sense to me. They took the time to remove pillow cases, removed whatever ligatures they used, sounds like they packed more then a few things up before they left Julia’s room. If they took stuff out of her purse you would think there would have been finger prints, if she was sexually assaulted (there was seminal fluid found) you would have also think that there would have been male hairs found in her bedroom. I just think the murders really knew she was alone and took their time.
The gloves could have been planted, as some suggest, or…they could have heard someone coming in and made a hasty exit; leaving them behind. Hard to say.

Ypsilanti PD has to ask MSP to step in.
Nina, have you seen this before? I haven’t. (A PD so resistant to accepting additional support on a cold case). What on earth could be motivating their refusal, and why wouldn’t the Ypsi Mayor take action?

Nina, have you seen this before? I haven’t. (A PD so resistant to accepting additional support on a cold case). What on earth could be motivating their refusal, and why wouldn’t the Ypsi Mayor take action?

My understanding is that MSP doesn't just barge in and take cases away from a department. It's either in MSP's jurisdiction or they are asked by the department in charge of the case for help and support.
JMO/YMMV

Evidently they already did but MSP in that district is currently working 63 other cold cases! They don't have the resources to add Julia's case right now.
We need more transparency in why Julia's case was rejected by MSP.
*Who specifically rejected it, and why?
*How are these cases ranked, chosen, rejected? How does Julia's case "rank" against the others?
*How often are the cases reviewed and what is that process?
*What is the process for case appeal, and who is the ultimate adjudicator?
*Who monitors and reviews the decisions made by the MSP cold case team to insure fairness?
*How many cold cases has MSP solved in the past five years? Who were they?
*Do the Cold Case decisions get reviewed an approved by the MSP Director Colonel Joseph Gasper?
*Govenor Whitmer highlights record $1B investment to fund police, fire

Transparency is needed to explain why Julia's cold case is being ignored by MSP. How do you ignore a brutal murder knowing that the person responsible is still roaming about free threatening the safety of the citizens? Why haven't the local authorities taken a more vigorous approach to teaming with the media to plea for leads, info?

There are many questions that need to be answered.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back