7.8 Magnitude Earthquake in Turkey

According to Syrian State TV, citing the Ministry of Health, the earthquake Monday has killed at least 111 people and injured 516 others in the Syrian regions of Aleppo, Latakia, Hama and Tartus. Live updates: Turkey-Syria earthquake kills nearly 200

Tartus....
Through connections in the art world, I have a friend who lives in Tartus. He is a well known artist as well as a sea captain. Tartus is closer to the border of Lebanon, fairly south of the epicenter.
Now I am worried about him after that news article. I have reached out to him to hopefully learn he and his family are at least safe. Maybe he is out to sea presently, I don't know. But he has a family.

So far no response....understandable of course.

This is terrible.....all those people, so much devastation.
I hope you hear from him soon, whitelilac. Prayers for everyone affected by this.

The images I've seen are horrific, and there's so much going on I can't keep up. Countries who have offered aid in addition to the US - India, Pakistan, Israel, Bulgaria, and I'm sure many more. Tsunami warnings for the Mediterranean. The number of deaths and injuries climbing. :(

Just heartbreaking. MOO

This may seem like it's on the other side of the world, so not my problem, and geographically that is true. However, this is a planet in distress and a big earthquake like that has to find balance by stretching somewhere else ... shifting tectonic plates, flex and snap. If they snap in the Middle East, it suggests that something is out of alignment with our planet.

The airport nearest to the epicentre has been cracked by the earthquake.

"He added that there had been “trouble” with an airport runway in the area, leading to difficulties in landing relief flights."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2023/feb/06/turkey-earthquake-2023-live-updates-quake-tremor-latest-news

42m ago01.22 EST

Nearly 1000 search and rescue volunteers are being deployed from Istanbul to the affected earthquake regions in Turkey, according to the Governor of Istanbul, Ali Yerlikaya said.

This comes after Turkey’s disaster management agency called for international support to expand its search and rescue effort.

37m ago01.28 EST
The toll from the earthquake in Syria has risen to more than 230 dead, and 600 wounded, a senior health official has told state media.

In neighbouring Turkey, where the earthquake was centred, the nation’s disaster management agency AFAD said on Monday that 76 people had been killed and 440 injured.

32m ago01.34 EST
Ukraine ready to provide help following earthquake: Volodymyr Zelenskiy

Ukraine’s president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, said his country was ready to provide necessary assistance to “friendly” Turkish people in the aftermath of the earthquake that struck the country earlier on Monday, Reuters reports.

3m ago07.03 GMT
Italian authorities have withdrawn a tsunami warning for the country’s southern coast.

The alert was raised shortly after the earthquake struck central Turkey and northwest Syria. Italy’s Civil Protection Department had recommended people in the coastal areas move to high ground.

The Syrian American Medical Society (SAMS) said its hospitals in Syria "are overwhelmed with patients filling the hallways" following the powerful earthquake that struck Monday.

"There is an immediate need for trauma supplies and a comprehensive emergency response," the relief organization said in a statement.
"Many hospitals are full, but some critical facilities, including Al Dana Hospital had to evacuate patients after sustaining severe damage from the earthquake. Likewise, the Idleb Maternity Hospital was forced to transfer all newborns to a nearby hospital."

This may seem like it's on the other side of the world, so not my problem, and geographically that is true. However, this is a planet in distress and a big earthquake like that has to find balance by stretching somewhere else ... shifting tectonic plates, flex and snap. If they snap in the Middle East, it suggests that something is out of alignment with our planet.

The airport nearest to the epicentre has been cracked by the earthquake.

"He added that there had been “trouble” with an airport runway in the area, leading to difficulties in landing relief flights."

Check out this video. :oops:

Felt in Lebanon for 40 minutes.

Time Magazine
"In Damascus, buildings shook and many people went down to the streets in fear. The quake jolted residents in Lebanon from beds, shaking buildings for about 40 seconds. Many residents of Beirut left their homes and took to the streets or drove in their cars away from buildings."

That scared me when it said '40 MINUTES'...:eek:

Born and raised in California for 70 years, been through a lot of Earthquakes. But 40 minutes of earth shaking would have felt like the apocalypse. I had to go look at the article to make sure it was 40 seconds---which is still a long time when your bed is shaking and rolling and you don't know if the walls are going to collapse or the roof is coming down.

7.8 is a very big quake. There will be a whole lot of damage and many lives lost when it is all done. This is very tragic and many families will suffer big losses. I wonder if the Red Cross will set up one of those texting number where everyone can send 10 or 20 dollars to go directly to the hardest hit cities. If everyone does so it can be hundreds of millions of dollars in aid.

Last edited:
"In Damascus, buildings shook and many people went down to the streets in fear. The quake jolted residents in Lebanon from beds, shaking buildings for about 40 seconds. Many residents of Beirut left their homes and took to the streets or drove in their cars away from buildings."

Born and raised in California for 70 years, been through a lot of Earthquakes. But 40 minutes of earth shaking would have felt like the apocalypse. I had to go look at the article to make sure it was 40 seconds---which is still a long time when your bed is shaking and rolling and you don't know if the walls are going to collapse or the roof is coming down.
of course
thank you
seconds, not minutes

40 minutes of earthquake would be felt continents away

... a big earthquake like that has to find balance by stretching somewhere else ... shifting tectonic plates, flex and snap. If they snap in the Middle East, it suggests that something is out of alignment with our planet.
sbm/ bbm... what do you mean by this? ty

This was horrible news to wake up to and I can't imagine the extra terror for those who have lived through war and thought they were safe =*(

... seconds, not minutes

40 minutes of earthquake would be felt continents away.

The earthquake occurred in Turkey at 4:17 a.m., buildings collapsed in Turkey and 200 miles away in Syria. Earthquake shaking was felt in Lebanon for 40 seconds.

Attachments

• 1675671568744.png
    1675671568744.png
    501.1 KB · Views: 3
sbm/ bbm... what do you mean by this? ty

This was horrible news to wake up to and I can't imagine the extra terror for those who have lived through war and thought they were safe =*(
Earthquakes and volcanoes fascinate me. I'm curious. Tectonic plates flex and snap. Sometimes they cause a tidal wave. Somewhat reminds me of what to do when a nuclear bomb is landing on your house - hide under the desk!

Attachments

• 1675672014483.png
    1675672014483.png
    395.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 1675672199964.png
    1675672199964.png
    145.8 KB · Views: 5
Sadly the death toll count is rising rapidly.

More than 1,300 people have been killed and thousands more injured after a powerful magnitude 7.8 earthquake struck Turkey and Syria early on Monday.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back