GUILTY NY - Barbara Maier Gustern, 87, brutally shoved in street, dies, Manhattan, 12 March 2022 *arrest*

Yeah... I don't know if temper tantrums will qualify as insanity...
The legal bar of insanity is very high indeed. LP has to prove she did not know the difference between right and wrong. The defense is rarely successful.
Diminished capacity, on the other hand, is a bit easier. Her $950/hour attorney will probably argue that her bipolar anger, fueled by wine, caused her to "lose it" and lash out. I can't imagine that argument convincing anyone either.

She should have taken the initial plea deal, imo.

The legal bar of insanity is very high indeed. LP has to prove she did not know the difference between right and wrong. The defense is rarely successful.
Diminished capacity, on the other hand, is a bit easier. Her $950/hour attorney will probably argue that her bipolar anger, fueled by wine, caused her to "lose it" and lash out. I can't imagine that argument convincing anyone either.

She should have taken the initial plea deal, imo.
The "I am a 'mentally ill, mean drunk'." defense? I don't see it. Even people who are mentally ill have to take responsibility for their actions. And her elaborate attempt at covering her tracks sort of negates that she was not conscious of her behavior. Or the consequences. Hiding out at parents house? Expecting them to clean up her mess again?

I think that if there is a careful review of her history, there are probably a bunch of similar incidents. That is why the plea deal was just a bone. I believe that if prior bad acts can be admitted, we will find out that this was just one in a long line of other incidents.

Perhaps the "Affluenza" defense? "I am a rich little brat, who doesn't know any better?" Because my parents never made me face consequences of my actions?

So, this one is not behind a paywall. It appears that there is significant evidence againt the "Long Island Sewage Queen". So, she is going with mental defect as a defense.

I would agree, that people who kill other people more than likely have a mental problem. However, I don't see it working here. JMO
the "Long Island Sewage Queen"!!! Good one, LOL!!

I’ve been lurking here and there’s no new news? I read months ago that her trial was postponed til Dec 8th, yesterday. It’s weird, there’s no new news when googling. Only things I can find are from may and a few from august. Does anyone here know anything?

I’ve been lurking here and there’s no new news? I read months ago that her trial was postponed til Dec 8th, yesterday. It’s weird, there’s no new news when googling. Only things I can find are from may and a few from august. Does anyone here know anything?
States she has rejected the deal to cap her sentence at 15 years. Defense is claiming 'was intoxicated and had other psychological issues.' If her attorney can not prove this and it goes to trial I'll bet they give her more than 15 years.

"prosecutors said they planned to have a psychological assessment completed by January"

Last edited:
I can't imagine her $950/hour defense attorney is in a hurry to get this case over with. At the same time though, she's in jail and certainly not enjoying it. She should have taken the plea deal.
JMO.
I am sure that the $950 an hour attorney presented the options to the client, and she made the decision based on information from her counsel.

Seems to be a conflict of interest when an attorney paid by the hour gives an option to client, plea deal or trial. The attorney has a vested self interest in a trial in this case.

Of course, all attorneys practice with the highest ethical standards, putting interest of clients foremost in their minds at all times.

This is all I could find on-line. This is the order where she was denied bond. The case number is Case No. 2022-02297. June 2022. Not certain if this case number is permanent. So she is still held on Riker's Island? Not a very nice place from what I have heard.

Supreme Court of the State of New York Appellate Division, First Judicial Department Kapnick, J.P., Moulton, Shulman, Pitt, , JJ. 16247 In the Matter of THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK, ex rel. ARTHUR AIDALA Index No. 154311/22 on behalf of LAUREN PAZIENZA, Case No. 2022-02297 Petitioner-Appellant, -againstWARDEN, RIKERS ISLAND CORRECTIONAL FACILITY, Respondent-Respondent. Aidala, Bertuna & Kamins, P.C., New York (Arthur L. Aidala of counsel), for appellant. Alvin L. Bragg, Jr., District Attorney, New York (Justin L. McNabney of counsel), for respondent. Judgment (denominated an order), Supreme Court, New York County (Ellen Biben, J.), entered on or about May 24, 2022, denying the petition for a writ of habeas corpus and dismissing the proceeding, unanimously affirmed, without costs. We find that the writ of habeas corpus was properly denied (see CPLR 7010). THIS CONSTITUTES THE DECISION AND ORDER OF THE SUPREME COURT, APPELLATE DIVISION, FIRST DEPARTMENT. ENTERED: June 14, 2022

Attachments

• State of NY, Arthur Aidala v Warden (2022-02297 WRT).pdf
    87.5 KB · Views: 3
Next court date is January 26. The judge is Judge Felicia Mennin, Supreme Court, New York County, Criminal Term 111 Centre Street, New York, NY 10013, (646) 386-4688

"Prosecutors in the case of a former Port Jefferson resident accused of shoving and killing a beloved elderly Manhattan voice teacher, said in court Thursday they expect to have a psychological assessment completed next month to gauge her mental state at the time of the alleged attack."

Pazienza is due back in court on Jan. 26, the day prosecutors said their expert report would be completed.

Last edited:
Next court date is January 26. The judge is Judge Felicia Mennin, Supreme Court, New York County, Criminal Term 111 Centre Street, New York, NY 10013, (646) 386-4688

"Prosecutors in the case of a former Port Jefferson resident accused of shoving and killing a beloved elderly Manhattan voice teacher, said in court Thursday they expect to have a psychological assessment completed next month to gauge her mental state at the time of the alleged attack."

Pazienza is due back in court on Jan. 26, the day prosecutors said their expert report would be completed.

I can’t find any current news. Have they prevented most of news outlets from reporting on this?? Otherwise I would think there would be some recent articles with updates. So strange.

Her mental state at the time of the attack? How common is this?

The prosecution will have an expert perform a mental health exam on Lauren Pazienza the week of Feb. 12

"A Port Jefferson woman will undergo a mental health evaluation by a prosecution expert next month to determine if her attorneys can defend her against the top manslaughter charge lodged in connection with the shoving death of an elderly voice coach, Newsday reported.

The expert will interview Lauren Pazienza the week of Feb. 12, a spokeswoman for the Manhattan District Attorney's office told the outlet."

Her mental state at the time of the attack? How common is this?
"Pazienza, currently being held without bail on Rikers Island, faces a top charge of first-degree manslaughter, which requires prosecutors to show intent to cause serious harm that led to a death. But intoxication can be a defense that undercuts the element of intent and could reduce the charge to second-degree manslaughter. If the experts disagree on the issue of intoxication, that could result in a criminal trial."

The below story may have been posted before. It contains a biography of sorts of the accused, Lauren Pazienza. Pazienza is portrayed as a spoiled would-be socialite, a bully in school, and a problem tenant who didn't get along with her neighbors,

"Law enforcement sources say Pazienza was a known nuisance in the Shore Towers, and had previously called the cops on her neighbors".

Still, it's quite a leap to go from an annoying neighbor to attacking a frail 87 year-old woman, shoving her onto the street, causing her fatal head injuries. I am trying to understand from her point of view, why did she push Barbara Gustern with such violence? Did Ms. Maier look at her the wrong way? Did she get in her way perhaps? Why respond with such violence against an old women? An 87 year old is a very vulnerable target.

<modsnip: Stating opinion as fact> Nobody thinks "oh yeah, I'm going to push this lady and she's going to die", but she's dead. So, she has to be punished even if she didn't actually meant to kill her.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip: Stating opinion as fact> Nobody thinks "oh yeah, I'm going to push this lady and she's going to die", but she's dead. So, she has to be punished even if she didn't actually meant to kill h
In my opinion, if a woman pushes a frail old 87 year old woman onto hard cement in a drunken rage and kills her, then she should be charged with murder. How dare she attack such a vulnerable person! I pray for justice for Barbara Gustern and hope this spoiled, entitled LAUREN PAZIENZA will go to prison for a substantial term. But I am concerned this may not happen to this so-called "Cesspool Queen" because her parents are spending a lot of money on big shot attorneys. JMO

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zorba347