7.8 Magnitude Earthquake in Turkey

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2023/feb/06/turkey-earthquake-2023-live-updates-quake-tremor-latest-news

09.21 EST

Combined death toll in Turkey and Syria rises to at least 2,300​

Associated Press report that the death toll from Monday’s earthquakes in Turkey and Syria has now climbed to over 2,300 people.
At least 1,498 people were killed across 10 provinces of Turkey, with another 7,600 injured, according to the country’s disaster management agency.

The death toll in government-held areas of Syria rose to more than 430 people, with 1,280 injured, according to data from the health ministry. In the country’s north-west where the government is not in control, groups that operate there said the death toll was at least 380, with many hundreds injured.

The number is expected to continue to rise rapidly, with many people believed to be trapped under rubble in collapsed buildings.

More than 2,300 people have died and thousands more are hurt after a massive earthquake rocked Turkey and Syria Monday morning. The magnitude 7.8 quake was one of the strongest to strike the area in more than a century. Amid severe aftershocks, Turkey’s Disaster and Emergency Management Agency (AFAD) called for international help.

The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) says it is “launching immediate cash assistance” from its Disaster Response Emergency Fund to help relief efforts in both countries.

Many other organizations are also on the ground responding. CNN’s Impact Your World has gathered ways to help victims of the massive earthquake.

You can read more about how you can help here.

Same building collapsing in Turkey as previous comment. Hopefully everyone got out of the building before the aftershocks shook the building down. With so many collapsed buildings, I'm curious about the building code.

They have codes that address seismic forces. Link is from a UN agency: Turkey: New building code for earthquake resilience

As far as codes are concerned, it is important to know how well they are enforced. Even if these earthquake codes were rigorously enforced, a looming problem for any country with substantial seismic zones is the existing building stock. For seismically active areas, it is important to know how many buildings were built before seismic codes were introduced, and whether there are incentives or regulations that require upgrading structural systems to resist seismic forces. In older historic cities, there are many structures that predate the building codes, and most countries cannot simply replace or upgrade such buildings on a large scale.

In many California cities, there are large numbers of buildings that were built before seismic codes were introduced, and others that meet older codes that are inadequate for protecting the occupants. Economically, there just isn't enough money to replace all of these buildings, and many owners can't afford significant structural upgrades and the work it entails. I'm aware of some public buildings that are vacant, because they can't meet current codes without upgrades that are beyond the means of the entities that own them.

Also, the magnitude of this earthquake is going to push structures to the limit.

The death toll from a strong earthquake in south-eastern Turkey, near Syria's border, could rise eight-fold, the World Health Organisation has warned.
The toll, which currently stands at more than 2,600 people, has increased rapidly since the first earthquake struck early on Monday morning.

I believe it. The earthquakes happened only less than 24 hours ago. With so much devastation and collapsed structures in multiple populated areas, this is only the beginning.

It's a monumental tragedy.....

The San Francisco Quake in 1906 was a 7.6----so much smaller than this one and it nearly levelled the city.
Building codes back then weren't anything like they are now (massive understatement). Damage and casualties from a this-or-that rated quake vary incredibly widely, on whether it's underwater, in a populated area, shallow or deep, etc.

I remember a recent 8-plus from the Tonga region that had no property damage, no tsunami, and was barely felt on the surface, because it was hundreds of miles deep.

If you wish to donate to the Red Cross by text, here's their number. I suspect this is their number that's available any time, and you may need to go to the website or send a check (the address is there too!) to earmark it for this. Certainly other aid organizations are probably already there too, like DWB/MSF, Samaritan's Purse, Salvation Army, etc.

Here's a live stream of an amateur seismograph from Lincoln, Nebraska. (Maybe I posted it upthread; here it is again if that is so). The perpetual waves are from high winds in the area, and you should have seen what this thing looked like when he was having concrete work in his yard!

They have codes that address seismic forces. Link is from a UN agency: Turkey: New building code for earthquake resilience

As far as codes are concerned, it is important to know how well they are enforced. Even if these earthquake codes were rigorously enforced, a looming problem for any country with substantial seismic zones is the existing building stock. For seismically active areas, it is important to know how many buildings were built before seismic codes were introduced, and whether there are incentives or regulations that require upgrading structural systems to resist seismic forces. In older historic cities, there are many structures that predate the building codes, and most countries cannot simply replace or upgrade such buildings on a large scale.

In many California cities, there are large numbers of buildings that were built before seismic codes were introduced, and others that meet older codes that are inadequate for protecting the occupants. Economically, there just isn't enough money to replace all of these buildings, and many owners can't afford significant structural upgrades and the work it entails. I'm aware of some public buildings that are vacant, because they can't meet current codes without upgrades that are beyond the means of the entities that own them.

Also, the magnitude of this earthquake is going to push structures to the limit.
I'm very concerned about a megaquake near the New Madrid fault, the one that could largely level Memphis, TN if and when it strikes.

I'm very concerned about a megaquake near the New Madrid fault, the one that could largely level Memphis, TN if and when it strikes.

The New Madrid fault is responsible for major earthquakes in 1811-1812 that were estimated to be between 7 and 8 on the Richter scale. One of these earthquakes caused the Mississippi River to flow backwards. Memphis is definitely in the impact area. The New Madrid Seismic Zone | U.S. Geological Survey

Until recently, some of the regions nearby lacked codes that included design for seismic forces.

Video and maps
  • The magnitude 7.8 quake hit before sunrise in cold winter weather.
  • Its epicentre was close to the southern city of Gaziantep, and tremors were felt as far away as Cyprus, Cairo and Mosul.
  • The initial earthquake was followed by more than 100 aftershocks, including a magnitude 7.5 tremor during the day on Monday that interrupted search and rescue efforts.
  • The European Mediterranean Seismological Centre (EMSC) said preliminary data showed that the second large quake occurred 67km (42 miles) north-east of Kahramanmaraş, Turkey, at a depth of 2km.
  • At least 2,379 people were confirmed dead in Turkey.
  • 1,444 dead in Syria, according tothe Damascus government and rescue workers.
  • Thousands more were injured, with the death toll expected to rise.
  • The first quake damaged the historic Gaziantep Castle, which has been in use since Roman times.
  • 45 countries have already offered help with search and rescue efforts.
  • More than 10 search and rescue teams from the EU have been mobilised.
  • In 1999, a tremor of a similar magnitude devastated İzmit, killing more than 17,000 people.
  • Erdoğan described Monday’s disaster as Turkey’s worst since 1939, when an earthquake killed more than 32,000 people and injured more than 100,000.

That is a strong earthquake. So scary at 4 am in the morning. Earthquakes are so unsettling, and I bet that the aftershocks will continue for the next few days.

Looks cold there too. I hope that the Red Cross/Red Crescent services can help the survivors.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DuckierPresents
Back