MA - Lindsay Clancy, Strangled 3 Children in Murder/Suicide Attempt, Duxbury, Jan 2023

I live in LC's town. I have to say, the level of support for her here is incredible. People here are generally educated about mental illness, are sympathetic to the toll caused by postpartum psychosis, and want her to get the help she needs.

However... I am stuck on the CVS call. Hubby called from there and she sounded normal, if distracted. But she had to be at least getting ready to do what she did, based on the timeline (if not in the middle of it)!

I think I'm going with, she was very mentally disturbed, possibly delusional, and she really beleived she and the kids were better off dead. She didn't snap - it was a long term build up (similar to untreated bipolar disorder). She did engineer hubby running the errands so she could do what she did, but I can still reconcile that with her being extremely ill. Does that make sense? (MOO)

the doctors were doing their best to stabilize her.
MOO / my experience only
One would hope this is the case but in my opinion, it's quite possible that Lindsey did not receive the attention she needed and her children paid the price. That may sound unfair with the benefit of hindsight but if she was in such a desperate condition one wonders why she was not being treated in an inpatient setting? My opinion only.

One would hope this is the case but in my opinion, it's quite possible that Lindsey did not receive the attention she needed and her children paid the price. That may sound unfair with the benefit of hindsight but if she was in such a desperate condition one wonders why she was not being treated in an inpatient setting? My opinion only.
And if it was so bad I don’t see her husband willingly leaving the kids with her to even get the food. MOO

My takeaway was that leading up to this tragedy she didn’t seem like she was in a desperate condition at all. The prosecution laid out how after her inpatient treatment at the beginning of January she had greatly improved and was able to socialize, do activities outside of the house with her kids, and run errands. Her parents even visited the weekend before and saw no signs of trouble. Her husband said she had been having one of her “best days” prior to the death of the children. I just don’t know what more could have been done after her first hospitalization. MOO

I live in LC's town. I have to say, the level of support for her here is incredible. People here are generally educated about mental illness, are sympathetic to the toll caused by postpartum psychosis, and want her to get the help she needs.

However... I am stuck on the CVS call. Hubby called from there and she sounded normal, if distracted. But she had to be at least getting ready to do what she did, based on the timeline (if not in the middle of it)!

I think I'm going with, she was very mentally disturbed, possibly delusional, and she really beleived she and the kids were better off dead. She didn't snap - it was a long term build up (similar to untreated bipolar disorder). She did engineer hubby running the errands so she could do what she did, but I can still reconcile that with her being extremely ill. Does that make sense? (MOO)

This is where I’m at as well, though will admit some of the details today were startling. I can still reconcile them within the framework of this though.

I'm not at all convinced she heard any voice/s. Intrusive thoughts, yes... very likely.

The 4 day hospital stay in January leaves me a bit perplexed.

I believe she was suffering with mental anxiety (but to what degree??) Enough that it caused her children to pay the price?? I also believe she did a lot of masking of symptoms. I can't let go of the idea that she was aware that her children needed to be in safer hands (not her own). I suppose it's as perplexing as any suicide (which involves both suffering and what feels like selfishness).... but in this instance it was murder/suicide. :(

I hope it’s ok to post this article with the timeline.

But IMO she was not well. Something is missing, and I can't figure out what. As for the medications, she was on ALOT of different meds. I do agree it was calculated, however, I think there is more here. Just MO.
Here’s the picture I have now of LC, FWIW and MOO.

1) She suffered from anxiety, and 2) motherhood and being a great, loving mom with children who felt loved and nurtured meant the world to her. Based entirely on my own beliefs about how some people cultivate and make very public displays of their image as a perfect, happy parent, there may have been some narcissism or perfectionism related to her identity as a mother.

From my own experiences as a mother who had PPA, anxiety combined with a higher-than-average desire to be the best possible parent can be a toxic combination. Your kids will act out in ugly ways sometimes, there will be moments you feel detached and it’s hard to like or feel love towards them. Normally, in the absence of anxiety, we understand these moments as temporary and understandable.

But for someone with anxiety, these moments can lead to catastrophizing and ruminating. You know how important mothering is and you know you have such a small window of time to bond and ensure your little ones feel loved. If you begin to convince yourself that you failed in your greatest task, that your kids are not turning out “right” and probably never will, that you can’t show them the love you know they need and that you should be feeling, the beautiful promises of motherhood can fade. In its place appears a conviction that your children are irreversibly ruined to varying degrees.

It takes something far beyond those dark thoughts anxiety can cause, however and in my opinion, to then decide your children are better off dead than simply living flawed and imperfect lives.

Last edited:
Q: That may sound unfair with the benefit of hindsight but if she was in such a desperate condition one wonders why she was not being treated in an inpatient setting?
A: Because American health insurance companies will not 'approve' longer inpatient mental health.
For instance, average inpatient stay in the UK's MBUs (Mother & Baby Units) is 40 - 60 days.

whoever sat the screen was on the phone texting....not sure the court would allow that

She used AppleMaps to know how far her husband would be driving and how long he might be gone, then proceeded methodically to strangle each child with exercise bands.
Horrific, and seemingly premeditated. JMO.

Of course, the jury will decide all this.
The defense apparently will put the drug companies on trial.

The whole thing is just sickening to me. Those beautiful, innocent children with their whole lives ahead of them...

Well, what I’ve read doesn’t really sound like psychosis. You can mask psychosis but you can’t hide it completely with different people over the course of time and ime it shows up when you communicate via text too. I was expecting her to be psychotic because I just don’t get how it could have happened otherwise. That’s my only rational explanation for doing something like this- total break from reality.

How horrifying. Depression and anxiety are serious illnesses without psychosis, too. But I really can’t wrap my head around the situation at all. Will be watching to see what else comes out.

I watched it all live on the local station. I am so torn. For one, why broadcast it live? I've followed so many cases. She is not a Casey Anthony. She apparently knew she had issues and tried to get help. In my opinion, she was misdiagnosed and on too many meds! I heard what the prosecutor said, she was trying to make it like she was in her right mind...

He also disputed a previous statement from the Duxbury police chief, which said Lindsay Clancy was recovering physically. Reddington called this a "blatant untruth" and said she is in a hospital bed, unable to move.

"She can move," an attorney for the DA's office argued. "She is not paralyzed. She can move her legs. She can move her arms. She has been writing and being able to verbally communicate."
I just watched the arraignment. At the very end the Assistant DA says they were first told that she could move her legs, but now that information has been updated to she's paralyzed from the waist down. Prosecutor's office says it's not necessarily permanent though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back