AR AR - Morgan Nick, 6, Alma, 9 Jun 1995

Morgan Nick Truck Pt. 2

All of us at the Cold Case Central podcast (find/follow us on Facebook) would really love to see the Morgan Nick case solved. One of the most important pieces of evidence we have is the picture of the truck released by law enforcement.

In my previous post on this thread (11/28/22), I laid out my case as to why I don’t believe that the truck in the law enforcement picture belongs to Billy Jack Lincks (the FBI’s only identified person of interest). In this post, I will attempt to further narrow down the year, make, and model of the truck based on available information.

Based on eye witness reports (see morgannickfoundation.com/about/morgans-story/ and charleyproject.org/case/morgan-chauntel-nick), the truck in the picture released by law enforcement is a short bed (which I agree with) “red Ford” with “paint dulled by age”. Assuming that both of these descriptors (“Ford” and “paint dulled by age”) are accurate-and using the picture of the truck released by law enforcement-we can begin figuring out exactly what kind of Ford it is.

I examined all models of Ford trucks via the internet going back decades from 1995. I only looked at Ford passenger trucks. C, L, N, and W Series Ford trucks (i.e. fire trucks, dump trucks, etc.) and Rancheros, Sky Rangers, and others which aren’t even close in appearance to the one in the picture were not considered.

I compared the wheel well of each generation of Ford truck to the truck in the law enforcement picture as well as the distance between the top middle of the wheel well arch to the top of the truck bed. I also looked at the distance from the right wheel well edge to the back of the truck and from the bottom of the metal to the right of the tire to the top of the bed. I believe that the taillight likely starts one to four inches below the top of the bed and runs a little longer down the bed than it appears. However, I think the taillight is too distorted in the image to be used for comparison purposes, so it was not considered in my research. Luckily, the truck in the picture appears to have a rounded, “rainbow shaped” wheel arch- which were more rare in the past than they are now (a lot of pre-1996 trucks had flatter or more horizontal wheel well arches). That made it easier to rule some of the earlier model trucks out.

Below are my findings with links so whoever is interested can see what they think (I would suggest using two screens so that each truck can be compared side-by-side with the truck in the law enforcement photo, the law enforcement photo I had enhanced, or both).

*I have ruled out the truck in the law enforcement picture as being a Ford F-1 or F-100 (produced from 1948-1983) due to the wheel arch and other criteria mentioned above. See this article for reference/pics: cjponyparts.com/resources/f-100-history

*I have ruled out all Ford F-150s and other F-series trucks (i.e. F-250, F-350) earlier than 1987 based on my comparison criteria (F-150s/F-250s/F-350s apparently looked the same cosmetically as F-150s- just had different mechanical parts). 1987-1991 F-series wheel wells are a closer match than earlier F-series as they are more rounded, but it does not appear to me that the sides of the wheel well “rainbow” extend far enough toward the ground and it looks like there is a little more sheet metal above the rear tire and to the right of the rear tire than the truck in the law enforcement picture (and not enough towards the ground to the right of the tire). 1992-1995 F-series also have rounded wheel wells. However, like the 1987-1991 F-series, it does not appear that the sides of the “rainbow” extend far enough to the ground and it looks like there is a little more sheet metal above the rear tire and to the right of the rear tire than the truck in the law enforcement picture (and not enough towards the ground to the right of the tire). Additionally, the 1987-1995 F-series trucks that I reviewed have a fuel door behind the driver’s side rear wheel (admittedly they can be hard to see in pictures). I wish the FBI could enhance the picture enough to be able to see if there is a fuel door on the rear of the truck in the picture. If there isn’t, that eliminates the possibility that it is a 1987-1995 Ford F-series truck (F-150/F-250/F/350)- which in turn eliminates the possibility that the truck in the picture is a Ford F-series of any year. See this article for F-Series pictures: www.caranddriver.com/features/g23897696/ford-f-series-pickup-truck-history/

*1972-1982 Ford Courier (American and Canadian markets-Ford Ranger took its place in 1983). Ruled out due to above criteria. See this article for reference/pics: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Courier

1985-1995 Couriers sold overseas more closely match the truck picture than the generation that were sold in America. It would be awesome if the truck was a 1985-1995 Courier imported from somewhere else because that truck would be so rare that the perpetrator could be easily identified. However, those models had tie-downs on the bed and black outer B-Pillar trim that is not visible in the law enforcement picture.

*1983-1995 Ford Ranger: Can’t be a Ford Ranger earlier than 1993 based on my comparison criteria. Ranger wheel well arches were rounded between 1993 and 1995 and flatter on pre-1993 generations. The rounded wheel wells and the other comparison criteria listed above seems to me to make the 1993-1995 Ford Ranger a closer match to the truck in the picture than the truck in the picture is to an F-150. However, the camper in the picture is described as being 4-5 inches too short for the truck bed. Most camper shells would either fit a short bed Ranger or be too big for it as it is a compact truck. You would be hard pressed back then to find a truck with a smaller bed than a short bed Ford Ranger or Chevy S-10 (which also has strong similarities to the truck in the picture- as does the GMC S-15/Sonoma- which is basically a rebadged S-10). See this article for Ford Ranger pictures: History of the Ford Ranger

Conclusion:
Comparing the non-arch bed-related criteria (distance across sheet metal to certain points) makes me think that maybe the truck it isn’t a “Ford” with “paint dulled by age”. However, for this research, I went with the assumption that the description released by law enforcement is correct and that the truck is a Ford with paint dulled by age. Therefore, I disregarded the non-arch bed related criteria that I thought might eliminate all Ford trucks. I decided to consider all Ford trucks with wheel wells that were rounded at the top half like the one in the picture to be acceptable candidates even if I wasn’t sure that the non-arch bed-related criteria fit. If the truck in the picture really is a Ford with paint dulled by age, using the process of elimination narrows things down quite a bit. It is my belief that if the truck is a Ford it would most likely be a 1993-1995 Ford Ranger or 1987-1995 F-series. However, a 1993-1995 Ford Ranger that is zero to two years-old in 1995 likely would not have “paint dulled by age”. If the truck in the picture had “paint dulled by age”, that effectively eliminates the possibility that the truck in the picture is a Ford Ranger of any year. Likewise, a 9th Generation (1992-1995) F-150 or other F-series truck likely would not have “paint dulled by age” in 1995. That means that in order for the statement, “The truck in the picture is a red Ford with paint dulled by age” to be true, the truck would have to be an 8th Generation (1987-1991) F-series truck (F-150/F-250/F-350) as that is the only truck that had a rounded fender well like in the picture that might be old enough to have dull paint (1987-1991 F-150, F-250, & F-350 trucks apparently looked the same cosmetically- just had different mechanical parts).

If both descriptors (“Ford” & “paint dulled by age”) are deemed accurate), then I think we have a good idea what the truck we are looking for looks like. If one of the two descriptors isn’t true then that changes things a lot.

If BOTH of the descriptors (“Ford” and “paint dulled by age”) are correct, the truck we and law enforcement would need to be looking for is pictured below (1987-1991 Ford F-Series). However, the truck bed in the 1987-1991 F-Series truck pictured below does not seem to me to be a close enough match to the truck bed in the law enforcement picture or the picture we had enhanced. Therefore, I am not convinced that BOTH descriptors (“Ford” and “paint dulled by age”) are correct (one of those two descriptors may be accurate).

I would love for law enforcement to confirm that the description of the truck as a Ford with paint dulled by age is actually from a witness or witnesses (hopefully more than one as eye witness testimony is notoriously unreliable a lot of the time) at the ball park that night and not from another incident that law enforcement thought might be connected to Morgan’s abduction.

Caveat: My observations and conclusions are being drawn from a highly distorted image and a clearer picture could absolutely prove me wrong. If I have any incorrect or missing information in this post, please let me know. Always open to thoughts and feedback and I’m willing to change my opinion on the above if new or additional information warrants. You can post here, message us, or email us at coldcasecentral@gmail.com. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20221003_025726.png
    IMG_20221003_025726.png
    420.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20221013_220510.jpg
    IMG_20221013_220510.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 37
  • XXXrZHV0lt-6LaIId8bSyD2LaVzhE_ZzvEY7w2p2sOA copy (1).jpg
    XXXrZHV0lt-6LaIId8bSyD2LaVzhE_ZzvEY7w2p2sOA copy (1).jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 36
Morgan Nick Truck Pt. 2

All of us at the Cold Case Central podcast (find/follow us on Facebook) would really love to see the Morgan Nick case solved. One of the most important pieces of evidence we have is the picture of the truck released by law enforcement.

In my previous post on this thread (11/28/22), I laid out my case as to why I don’t believe that the truck in the law enforcement picture belongs to Billy Jack Lincks (the FBI’s only identified person of interest). In this post, I will attempt to further narrow down the year, make, and model of the truck based on available information.

Based on eye witness reports (see morgannickfoundation.com/about/morgans-story/ and charleyproject.org/case/morgan-chauntel-nick), the truck in the picture released by law enforcement is a short bed (which I agree with) “red Ford” with “paint dulled by age”. Assuming that both of these descriptors (“Ford” and “paint dulled by age”) are accurate-and using the picture of the truck released by law enforcement-we can begin figuring out exactly what kind of Ford it is.

I examined all models of Ford trucks via the internet going back decades from 1995. I only looked at Ford passenger trucks. C, L, N, and W Series Ford trucks (i.e. fire trucks, dump trucks, etc.) and Rancheros, Sky Rangers, and others which aren’t even close in appearance to the one in the picture were not considered.

I compared the wheel well of each generation of Ford truck to the truck in the law enforcement picture as well as the distance between the top middle of the wheel well arch to the top of the truck bed. I also looked at the distance from the right wheel well edge to the back of the truck and from the bottom of the metal to the right of the tire to the top of the bed. I believe that the taillight likely starts one to four inches below the top of the bed and runs a little longer down the bed than it appears. However, I think the taillight is too distorted in the image to be used for comparison purposes, so it was not considered in my research. Luckily, the truck in the picture appears to have a rounded, “rainbow shaped” wheel arch- which were more rare in the past than they are now (a lot of pre-1996 trucks had flatter or more horizontal wheel well arches). That made it easier to rule some of the earlier model trucks out.

Below are my findings with links so whoever is interested can see what they think (I would suggest using two screens so that each truck can be compared side-by-side with the truck in the law enforcement photo, the law enforcement photo I had enhanced, or both).

*I have ruled out the truck in the law enforcement picture as being a Ford F-1 or F-100 (produced from 1948-1983) due to the wheel arch and other criteria mentioned above. See this article for reference/pics: cjponyparts.com/resources/f-100-history

*I have ruled out all Ford F-150s and other F-series trucks (i.e. F-250, F-350) earlier than 1987 based on my comparison criteria (F-150s/F-250s/F-350s apparently looked the same cosmetically as F-150s- just had different mechanical parts). 1987-1991 F-series wheel wells are a closer match than earlier F-series as they are more rounded, but it does not appear to me that the sides of the wheel well “rainbow” extend far enough toward the ground and it looks like there is a little more sheet metal above the rear tire and to the right of the rear tire than the truck in the law enforcement picture (and not enough towards the ground to the right of the tire). 1992-1995 F-series also have rounded wheel wells. However, like the 1987-1991 F-series, it does not appear that the sides of the “rainbow” extend far enough to the ground and it looks like there is a little more sheet metal above the rear tire and to the right of the rear tire than the truck in the law enforcement picture (and not enough towards the ground to the right of the tire). Additionally, the 1987-1995 F-series trucks that I reviewed have a fuel door behind the driver’s side rear wheel (admittedly they can be hard to see in pictures). I wish the FBI could enhance the picture enough to be able to see if there is a fuel door on the rear of the truck in the picture. If there isn’t, that eliminates the possibility that it is a 1987-1995 Ford F-series truck (F-150/F-250/F/350)- which in turn eliminates the possibility that the truck in the picture is a Ford F-series of any year. See this article for F-Series pictures: www.caranddriver.com/features/g23897696/ford-f-series-pickup-truck-history/

*1972-1982 Ford Courier (American and Canadian markets-Ford Ranger took its place in 1983). Ruled out due to above criteria. See this article for reference/pics: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Courier

1985-1995 Couriers sold overseas more closely match the truck picture than the generation that were sold in America. It would be awesome if the truck was a 1985-1995 Courier imported from somewhere else because that truck would be so rare that the perpetrator could be easily identified. However, those models had tie-downs on the bed and black outer B-Pillar trim that is not visible in the law enforcement picture.

*1983-1995 Ford Ranger: Can’t be a Ford Ranger earlier than 1993 based on my comparison criteria. Ranger wheel well arches were rounded between 1993 and 1995 and flatter on pre-1993 generations. The rounded wheel wells and the other comparison criteria listed above seems to me to make the 1993-1995 Ford Ranger a closer match to the truck in the picture than the truck in the picture is to an F-150. However, the camper in the picture is described as being 4-5 inches too short for the truck bed. Most camper shells would either fit a short bed Ranger or be too big for it as it is a compact truck. You would be hard pressed back then to find a truck with a smaller bed than a short bed Ford Ranger or Chevy S-10 (which also has strong similarities to the truck in the picture- as does the GMC S-15/Sonoma- which is basically a rebadged S-10). See this article for Ford Ranger pictures: History of the Ford Ranger

Conclusion:
Comparing the non-arch bed-related criteria (distance across sheet metal to certain points) makes me think that maybe the truck it isn’t a “Ford” with “paint dulled by age”. However, for this research, I went with the assumption that the description released by law enforcement is correct and that the truck is a Ford with paint dulled by age. Therefore, I disregarded the non-arch bed related criteria that I thought might eliminate all Ford trucks. I decided to consider all Ford trucks with wheel wells that were rounded at the top half like the one in the picture to be acceptable candidates even if I wasn’t sure that the non-arch bed-related criteria fit. If the truck in the picture really is a Ford with paint dulled by age, using the process of elimination narrows things down quite a bit. It is my belief that if the truck is a Ford it would most likely be a 1993-1995 Ford Ranger or 1987-1995 F-series. However, a 1993-1995 Ford Ranger that is zero to two years-old in 1995 likely would not have “paint dulled by age”. If the truck in the picture had “paint dulled by age”, that effectively eliminates the possibility that the truck in the picture is a Ford Ranger of any year. Likewise, a 9th Generation (1992-1995) F-150 or other F-series truck likely would not have “paint dulled by age” in 1995. That means that in order for the statement, “The truck in the picture is a red Ford with paint dulled by age” to be true, the truck would have to be an 8th Generation (1987-1991) F-series truck (F-150/F-250/F-350) as that is the only truck that had a rounded fender well like in the picture that might be old enough to have dull paint (1987-1991 F-150, F-250, & F-350 trucks apparently looked the same cosmetically- just had different mechanical parts).

If both descriptors (“Ford” & “paint dulled by age”) are deemed accurate), then I think we have a good idea what the truck we are looking for looks like. If one of the two descriptors isn’t true then that changes things a lot.

If BOTH of the descriptors (“Ford” and “paint dulled by age”) are correct, the truck we and law enforcement would need to be looking for is pictured below (1987-1991 Ford F-Series). However, the truck bed in the 1987-1991 F-Series truck pictured below does not seem to me to be a close enough match to the truck bed in the law enforcement picture or the picture we had enhanced. Therefore, I am not convinced that BOTH descriptors (“Ford” and “paint dulled by age”) are correct (one of those two descriptors may be accurate).

I would love for law enforcement to confirm that the description of the truck as a Ford with paint dulled by age is actually from a witness or witnesses (hopefully more than one as eye witness testimony is notoriously unreliable a lot of the time) at the ball park that night and not from another incident that law enforcement thought might be connected to Morgan’s abduction.

Caveat: My observations and conclusions are being drawn from a highly distorted image and a clearer picture could absolutely prove me wrong. If I have any incorrect or missing information in this post, please let me know. Always open to thoughts and feedback and I’m willing to change my opinion on the above if new or additional information warrants. You can post here, message us, or email us at coldcasecentral@gmail.com. Thanks.
Holy thesis, Batman!

Respect for the amount of research and detail that went into this post.

I agree that the truck is most likely a 1993-1995 Ford Ranger or 1987-1995 F-series.

That being said, I wouldn't get too hung up on the "paint dulled by age" detail, because a paint job can be prematurely dulled by a multitude of factors such sun exposure, road salt exposure, improper washing techniques, etc. Also, fun fact: Red paint fades faster than all other paint colors. Seriously. There's a scientific explanation behind it.

A million factors could have caused a relatively "new" vehicle to appear prematurely dull. In fact, I've heard vehicle paint can start fading within as early as two years if most/all aggravating factors listed above are present.

I cannot wait. I pray this brings some new revelations in this case and Morgan can finally rest.
IMO it feels like the creep police named as a suspect a year ago is very likely the man responsible, unfortunately (fortunately?) the man died in 2000 and it might explain why this case hasn't had many updates and seems cold, they know the guy is dead so they can take their time knowing he cant hurt anyone else. I get the feeling there is plenty of evidence in this case the police haven't made public, that link Morgan's disappearance to him.

Looking forward to watch the documentary, Hulu is not available where I live but I'm sure someone will be able to upload it elsewhere where I can watch. I've been following this case for a long time. We're at the end game and I'm sure sometime soon police will announce the events of that night, the man who kidnapped and killed her, using evidence to back up their claims.

IMO it feels like the creep police named as a suspect a year ago is very likely the man responsible, unfortunately (fortunately?) the man died in 2000 and it might explain why this case hasn't had many updates and seems cold, they know the guy is dead so they can take their time knowing he cant hurt anyone else. I get the feeling there is plenty of evidence in this case the police haven't made public, that link Morgan's disappearance to him.

Looking forward to watch the documentary, Hulu is not available where I live but I'm sure someone will be able to upload it elsewhere where I can watch. I've been following this case for a long time. We're at the end game and I'm sure sometime soon police will announce the events of that night, the man who kidnapped and killed her, using evidence to back up their claims.
The problem with him (Billy Jack Lincks) being the perpetrator is that the abductor was described as being 23-38 years old and driving a red Ford truck. Billy Jack Lincks was 70 and he drove a red Chevy truck. The FBI has to know something we don't. Hopefully, the documentary will shine some light on the case!

The problem with him (Billy Jack Lincks) being the perpetrator is that the abductor was described as being 23-38 years old and driving a red Ford truck. Billy Jack Lincks was 70 and he drove a red Chevy truck. The FBI has to know something we don't. Hopefully, the documentary will shine some light on the case!
That’s why I have a problem believing it’s Lincks as well. I’m curious what other information they have against him. The kids that were with Morgan also don’t think it’s him.

I started watching the documentary today and it's really good. The love you can see in Colleen's eyes when she talks about her daughter is so touching, and gut wrenching. They also feature Jacob Wetterling's case on there as well and his mom also speaks. The main detective on Morgan's case now seems like a really good guy. I hope this generates so many more leads!

Just finished the four episodes, finding it difficult to put into words my opinion, I definitely think Lincks was responsible, seemed a little tunnel vision that they focussed so hard on him in the last two episodes, makes me wonder if there's evidence against him they chose to not to make publicly known.

Just finished the four episodes, finding it difficult to put into words my opinion, I definitely think Lincks was responsible, seemed a little tunnel vision that they focussed so hard on him in the last two episodes, makes me wonder if there's evidence against him they chose to not to make publicly known.
Yeah it’s interesting. And the stuff about location 7. But the testing on the fiber from the red truck was definitely compelling. And my heart broke over and over again for Morgan’s parents. She was so loved.

Yeah it’s interesting. And the stuff about location 7. But the testing on the fiber from the red truck was definitely compelling. And my heart broke over and over again for Morgan’s parents. She was so loved.
The parts about the fibers broke me. It made it more real that it’s probably him.

It's like the detective said as he ripped up the composite side by side with a pick of Billy Jack "This is why I think composites are *advertiser censored*"

The odds that the fibers are NOT from Morgan's T-shirt have to be astronomical.

I think they have solved this case as far as who took and murdered her and I believe that the teens seeing him in area 7 indicate that that was Morgan's death / disposal site. I believe the floods that came within the next 48 hours washed her body away unfortunately.

Morgan's case have been one of my "White Whales" for almost 30 years. There is no sense of justice here as he is dead.

That’s why I have a problem believing it’s Lincks as well. I’m curious what other information they have against him. The kids that were with Morgan also don’t think it’s him.
Is it possible Lincks had a relative that also had access to the truck? Also it would be interesting to have his family and friends describe how he dressed, given the child witnesses were pretty specific about the suspects attire.

I need to watch the Documentary but have been reading here and i would have to agree if they found the fibers that matched Morgan shirt in Lincks truck then that tells me he abducted and more then likely killed her that night.

Is it possible Lincks had a relative that also had access to the truck? Also it would be interesting to have his family and friends describe how he dressed, given the child witnesses were pretty specific about the suspects attire.
That's what I've been thinking as well. He had 3 adult sons at the time. I can't picture a 70 year old that late trying to kidnap a child and wearing those clothes. The man that night also had a full head of black hair combed back. I wish there was a picture of him during 1995.

Also, who knows how many people have owned that truck and how good it's been cleaned through out the years. Those blond hairs and fibers could be from his grandchildren or other people.
What is suspicious is him having a blue tarp and a machete. I can't explain that.

FBI: Fibers found in red truck match type of shirt Morgan Nick wore when she disappeared

Lab technicians found the blood and the blonde hair did not have enough DNA information for a conclusive match. However, they were able to match the fiber on a microscopic level to a Girl Scout shirt of the type Morgan wore when she disappeared.
If Billy Jack Lincks is the perpetrator, everything we have been told by law enforcement about the abductor for the past 28 years has been wrong (abductor's age, description, and brand of truck). Either way, hope the family gets some definitive answers soon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aishavn
Back