Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor poor woman. I know exactly how she's been feeling. I've been a mess myself for 2 years with my menopause and I also have been using alcohol to medicate. I can't focus, I can't remember things during a conversation, i cant sleep which is so awful. I feel rubbish as a member of society. Probably why I get engrossed in crime mysteries, to take my mind of how rubbish I feel. It's an escape. I would love to be free. Fortunately for me HRT is starting to work and I'm on a new anti depressant, I've also taken steps to reduce my alcohol intake. I never drank in the mornings and only drank every other evening at my worst. The hangover day is deliberating though, a very deep dark cloud hangs over me and I felt dreadful. You feel locked in a spiral and a useless parent. Alcohol stops working eventually then you feel despair.
On the outside, nobody would know any of this. I can hide it with a smile and a joke and make up.
If anything this tragedy has helped me enormously, I didn't know others felt like I do.
I'm going to send her an angel in my thoughts.

Suzy Lamplugh in '86 and Vicky Hamilton in '91 are the only other ones that i remember who seemed to 'vanish' into thin air.
There's a long list of women in the article below, who are still missing after suddely disappearing in recent years. I hadn't heard of any of them. I do wonder what was so different about Nicola's disappearance that caused such a huge amount of interest?

In ref to Peter at SGI - I actually read his book. If you read it, you'll understand why he knows what he's talking about. He has led a rather interesting investigative life, certainly a guy id want on my side if I was missing either land or sea and he's a guy that many various forces have trusted over the years.
I'm glad he has spoken honestly and open to the media, the case needed that.

Fair enough. It has crossed my mind though, that his bid to raise his public profile with this case might backfire a little with future LE engagement. No idea what the competition is like!

I was just writing that too…I also think her own feelings/mindset might have ‘scared’ her too, in the sense that she doesn’t recognise herself anymore and might feel that it’s best for everyone if she’s not around them. Feeling guilt, for want of word, that she’s causing this. And I’m not saying she is, no victim blaming, am just trying to empathise with how she might be thinking from my own experience. All JMO
This release from her family gives me more hope she is alive somewhere. Praying for her family she is found soon
I can completely attest to this - from my own experience, my mind was scaring the life out of me. You almost feel blank like you don’t even know who are you anymore. I hope she is not too scared to come home. JMO.

Is it possible that someone in the village may be holding back information and has assisted NB in staying hidden?

Of course there is the small issue of CCTV and how NB would have been smuggled away from the scene, unless she left her things on the bench, told the dog to stay (no idea how obedient the dog is) and walked away out of sight of CCTV to be assisted elsewhere?

IMO if this was the case then she would have made contact with family, albeit extended possibly, to reassure her safety and wellbeing and ensuring the children knew she was okay.

I do worry for the worst however!

Is it possible that someone in the village may be holding back information and has assisted NB in staying hidden?

Of course there is the small issue of CCTV and how NB would have been smuggled away from the scene, unless she left her things on the bench, told the dog to stay (no idea how obedient the dog is) and walked away out of sight of CCTV to be assisted elsewhere?

IMO if this was the case then she would have made contact with family, albeit extended possibly, to reassure her safety and wellbeing and ensuring the children knew she was okay.

I do worry for the worst however!

If she had admitted herself into a private clinic of sorts, would they have to tell anyone? Surely it’s confidential, not not sure if the police would have to be informed?! How does it work?

When PA did the interview with DW, there was not even a mention of good days and bad days. I think one of the first words he used to describe her was fun. The revelations yesterday with the release of the information during the press conference gives a completely different picture to the one he portrayed in the interview.
To be fair there wasn't a hint of anything from any of the friends or family either. NB was portrayed by all as a healthy, happy, stable individual - which lead to the main speculation being between foul play and accident. There was just the occasional 'come home' comment which I put down to 'covering the bases' but which in retrospect might have indicated some awareness of issues.

Imagine if Nicola had decided to go away for a while, with a friend or someone she knows and just wants to take a break and didn't realise the case would escalate in the way that it did... if/when the police found out that this other person was helping her to stay hidden, would they be in trouble or...? How does that work? Because they're not committing a crime surely?

If she had admitted herself into a private clinic of sorts, would they have to tell anyone? Surely it’s confidential, not not sure if the police would have to be informed?! How does it work?
How would she have paid for it? Presumably the police have checked out her bank etc. If it was NHS there would be a (long) paper trail.

On a slightly different note to discussion of all the new information and subsequent media furore - one thing that I noted yesterday was that search area maps have now been published in the latest release, showing the areas covered on land and water in the latest statement.

I have kept clear of posting ‘theories’, but I do think seeing the search areas opens up some potential (if slim) scenarios outside of entering the river that may not have been searched… and have gone down a bit of a rabbit hole this evening combining mapping with misper behaviour stats (mainly from Missing Person Behaviour, Robert J. Koester, 2008 and some commonly repeated things I have heard in SAR volunteering). I want to be clear that I am not implying anything about NB when citing possible misper characteristics or behaviours.

Equally, none of this is to say that these areas haven’t been checked, discounted or not considered, or that this is new info - I am sure the search experts in the investigation are all over it. But I enjoy maps, so…

If my understanding of the CCTV gap is correct (if not, please do shout idiot! At me), it does seem that she could have left the immediate bench area by crossing Blackpool Lane at the bridge and continuing downstream towards Great Eccleston on the river path, and (as yet?) has not been picked up doing so on dashcam footage.

You can clearly see the gate opposite the exit path via google street view. If someone were being deliberately evasive - this route offers less chance of being spotted by CCTV/cars than turning left or right on the main road. As well as alternatively offering a straight route to somebody in a confused/altered state of mind.

If she had wanted to go missing for whatever reason - this route (as well as allowing access to the river beyond the weir) could give access across fields northwards to Skitham Lane or westwards to Lancaster Road via the footpath network.

Again, LE may have these points covered by CCTV, or have evidence they’ve not shared that say that is not the case - drone and helicopter searches on the day of her disappearance for instance may have covered this area. But IMO that area of farmland seems the next most likely area after the water to either leave via, or be found within.

It’s mainly open, but does have some small wooded areas that don’t appear to fall into the land and water search maps shared. The boundaries between wooded and open land, particularly facing south, are known to be common choices for those considering ending their life to be found. (As are scenic or personally meaningful spots, ‘just out of sight’)

That would then cover up to roughly 8km from her last known location, in what I believe is the most likely direction of travel based on what we have heard (if she did manage to leave the bench area).
Whilst it can vary greatly depending on the misper and their vulnerabilities and we don’t know which characteristics apply here - the stats from Lost Person Behaviour (Robert J. Koester, 2008) suggest that 95% of mispers with mental illness are found within 8.1km of their last known location, despondent mispers 95% are found within 17.3km (so a bit broader, often due to travelling to meaningful locations, though 75% are found within 2.3km), and intoxicated mispers are 95% 9.7km.

I’m not sure if this is at all interesting to anyone, but if she is not recovered from the water. I’d wonder about searching this area/looking at any exit point footage next.

At a normal walking pace, you’d be looking at roughly 90 minutes to get to the NW corner of that next set of fields.

However, if we are to assume that she has voluntarily gone missing - those exit points on Skitham Lane and Lancaster Road are not on bus routes (other than school buses, as far as I can tell), so would perhaps only be useful for onward journeys if being picked up by someone in a car.

Arguably, you could also make it via those footpaths to the south (assuming leaving the bench at 9:20) to bus stops in Great Ecclestone by 11/11:30. (So before an alarm is raised beyond the immediate area, and ahead of search teams along those routes).

There are then seemingly buses on Fridays from there to St Anne’s (11:38), Blackpool (11:48), Preston (11:15, 12:15) travelling west Great Eccleston, by Square – bustimes.org
Or eastbound to Fleetwood (11:58) or Garstang (12:14) Great Eccleston, by White Bull – bustimes.org

Again, unsure if helpful or interesting in any way shape or form - but I think it does provide potential alternatives to having gone into the river, that fit with the evidence (or lack thereof) we know about at this point.

Of course, if she had travelled onwards, unless it was with help - you would probably have expected some sightings to emerge - particularly if going into Great Eccleston or continuing by bus.

Terribly illustrated map attached to explain visually…
Green = areas covered in police search maps (the bench area is to the right off the map)
Black arrow = Possible route through CCTV dead zone
Yellow = possible land search area/footpath network
Blue = possible western and northern exit points accessed from footpaths
Red = possible footpath route to bus stops in Great Ecclestone

68FB83A2-28FC-4F17-BEB7-B4430B48C798.jpeg

Scared to reach out and come back home after all this huge publicity I would assume. If she has just run away imagine how daunting it would be to come back now.
Totally. You'd have to move abroad and try to start again I think. Wherever you went in UK people would recognise you. Just terrible. JMO

Nicola sister said in first press call that if she came home any problems could be sorted.
There's nothing that when you think logically cannot be solved.

They can speak with a Dr and get her treatment stabilised
There's solutions to alcohol issues
If she's self-conscious about all the attention she can change her hair style up, heck change her name by deed poll, move away, change job. If anyone mentions the similarity if her name is changed she can just say they look the same. People have short attention spans. In 12 months most will have forgot and not know her from a randomer.
True friends will be there regardless and any lost would be no real loss.

On a slightly different note to discussion of all the new information and subsequent media furore - one thing that I noted yesterday was that search area maps have now been published in the latest release, showing the areas covered on land and water in the latest statement.

I have kept clear of posting ‘theories’, but I do think seeing the search areas opens up some potential (if slim) scenarios outside of entering the river that may not have been searched… and have gone down a bit of a rabbit hole this evening combining mapping with misper behaviour stats (mainly from Missing Person Behaviour, Robert J. Koester, 2008 and some commonly repeated things I have heard in SAR volunteering). I want to be clear that I am not implying anything about NB when citing possible misper characteristics or behaviours.

Equally, none of this is to say that these areas haven’t been checked, discounted or not considered, or that this is new info - I am sure the search experts in the investigation are all over it. But I enjoy maps, so…

If my understanding of the CCTV gap is correct (if not, please do shout idiot! At me), it does seem that she could have left the immediate bench area by crossing Blackpool Lane at the bridge and continuing downstream towards Great Eccleston on the river path, and (as yet?) has not been picked up doing so on dashcam footage.

You can clearly see the gate opposite the exit path via google street view. If someone were being deliberately evasive - this route offers less chance of being spotted by CCTV/cars than turning left or right on the main road. As well as alternatively offering a straight route to somebody in a confused/altered state of mind.

If she had wanted to go missing for whatever reason - this route (as well as allowing access to the river beyond the weir) could give access across fields northwards to Skitham Lane or westwards to Lancaster Road via the footpath network.

Again, LE may have these points covered by CCTV, or have evidence they’ve not shared that say that is not the case - drone and helicopter searches on the day of her disappearance for instance may have covered this area. But IMO that area of farmland seems the next most likely area after the water to either leave via, or be found within.

It’s mainly open, but does have some small wooded areas that don’t appear to fall into the land and water search maps shared. The boundaries between wooded and open land, particularly facing south, are known to be common choices for those considering ending their life to be found. (As are scenic or personally meaningful spots, ‘just out of sight’)

That would then cover up to roughly 8km from her last known location, in what I believe is the most likely direction of travel based on what we have heard (if she did manage to leave the bench area).
Whilst it can vary greatly depending on the misper and their vulnerabilities and we don’t know which characteristics apply here - the stats from Lost Person Behaviour (Robert J. Koester, 2008) suggest that 95% of mispers with mental illness are found within 8.1km of their last known location, despondent mispers 95% are found within 17.3km (so a bit broader, often due to travelling to meaningful locations, though 75% are found within 2.3km), and intoxicated mispers are 95% 9.7km.

I’m not sure if this is at all interesting to anyone, but if she is not recovered from the water. I’d wonder about searching this area/looking at any exit point footage next.

At a normal walking pace, you’d be looking at roughly 90 minutes to get to the NW corner of that next set of fields.

However, if we are to assume that she has voluntarily gone missing - those exit points on Skitham Lane and Lancaster Road are not on bus routes (other than school buses, as far as I can tell), so would perhaps only be useful for onward journeys if being picked up by someone in a car.

Arguably, you could also make it via those footpaths to the south (assuming leaving the bench at 9:20) to bus stops in Great Ecclestone by 11/11:30. (So before an alarm is raised beyond the immediate area, and ahead of search teams along those routes).

There are then seemingly buses on Fridays from there to St Anne’s (11:38), Blackpool (11:48), Preston (11:15, 12:15) travelling west Great Eccleston, by Square – bustimes.org
Or eastbound to Fleetwood (11:58) or Garstang (12:14) Great Eccleston, by White Bull – bustimes.org

Again, unsure if helpful or interesting in any way shape or form - but I think it does provide potential alternatives to having gone into the river, that fit with the evidence (or lack thereof) we know about at this point.

Of course, if she had travelled onwards, unless it was with help - you would probably have expected some sightings to emerge - particularly if going into Great Eccleston or continuing by bus.

Green = areas covered in police search maps (the bench area is to the right off the map)

View attachment 403269
Some great thinking has gone into this. JMO

I’m not expecting a happy outcome, but the family’s statement today does give me a small amount of hope that they have at least some evidence or reason to believe she might have done a runner.

I have no idea how she would have been able to stay off-grid for three weeks though. Would she be aware of/have access to vacant properties through her work? I assume police would have checked those. If she’s being assisted by someone, that person is taking a huge risk if they have been spoken to by the police and misled them.

View attachment 403269
Some great thinking has gone into this. JMO
Yes a lot of work. Well done.

I ran out of my HRT a few months ago, it took a good few days but I was a wreck. I started bleeding then couldn't stop crying. Felt very confused and unstable. Had to have time off work. Also doses are different for each person.
Yes I understand there is actually a shortage of HRT in the UK at the moment.

Well, I think this has become such a circus, with LE underestimating the public and social media from the outset. Simply adding the word vulnerable to that early report of a missing woman would have made a big difference, IMO. The public felt that something was off and decided to take things into their own hands. At worst, ghoulish, at best, well intentioned, to help find her, as many felt the LE were looking at only one scenario, entering the river. I know the LE aren’t obliged to tell us much at all, but really, their hesitance with telling that one important piece of information early on seems to have resulted in NB's personal health issues now coming to the fore. People in the neighbouring villages/ rural area might have been more aware of seeing or remembering a walker in a field somewhere had they not been thinking NB had entered the river.
Jmo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member