SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #26

Status
Not open for further replies.

worm

Reaction score
Not much on this yet but I got it on yahoo and foxcarolina.com. This mother and son were found near a dog kennel on their property in Colleton County SC. Their family has a long history of connections to the legal system in the Lowcountry and the son, who was murdered, was currently facing charges in a boating accident causing death.

2 Murdaugh family members shot, killed in Colleton County SC homicide

APPROVED LOCAL SOURCES:
FITSNEWS
The Island Packet

APPROVED PODCASTS:
Murdaugh Murders by Mandy Matney
Impact of Influence - The Murdaugh Family Murders

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16
Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25

Last edited by a moderator:
That specific subset of time (one minute) was not recorded/isolated in his phone "steps" data. Here is the info in the timeline:

9:56:57 PM – 10:06:57 PM – Alex Murdaugh’ s iPhone shows 231 steps traveled

10:06:14 PM - 911 Call – Alex Murdaugh (637 Seconds)

10:06:57 PM – 10:16:37 PM – Alex Murdaugh’s iPhone shows 594 steps taken
Could he have walked back to the house or the caretaker house and back to kennels in these 594 steps? Seems like a lot of walking in 10 minutes.

Some people want a video of the crime along with a notarized, written statement of the facts pertaining to the crime before they'll convict.

RSBM

Because my main anorak focus/fascination is crime scene staging, i've found it quite interesting what "people want' in terms of evidence, and why so much doubt is exhibited over seemingly obvious things. My 02c observations

1. Direct Evidence - you'll often see people demanding 'direct' evidence like blood spatter on the defendant's clothes, and in absence of such evidence, claim the case is purely circumstantial. Such spatter is actually circumstantial - so what i believe they really mean is they don't like making inferences unless there is truly no other possibility.

2. Priced in evidence - sometimes the best evidence against the accused is known from the start and becomes priced in... so somehow the prosecution requires even better evidence if they have no surprise bombshell. IMO Pistorius is the gold standard of this phenomenon. He was fairly obviously guilty from the start, but then what was known was treated as simply the baseline for a contrarian defence where somehow only defence counsel had understood the 'real timeline'

3. Wild speculation ≠ reasonable possibilities - anything that is speculated into existence by defence counsel, somehow has to be disproved. Even where the defendant himself never actually asserted the thing in a statement that is in evidence.

It's fascinating in the current case where the defendant obstructed the investigation, staged the crime scene and constructed a false alibi and it is obvious he is the reason why we don't have the spatter, the murder weapons etc, TV experts nevertheless complain the case is weak compared to some alternate case they imagine could be presented.

Yet how can any of this be explained short of his guilt?

We basically do have half a dozen notarised confession videos ... but somehow they are seen as a point of departure

The state took 20 days and still haven’t gotten me any closer to believing AM is guilty. Their case is100% circumstantial. And it’s a WEAK circumstantial case IMO. The best evidence they presented was the Onstar data IMO. And I wonder EXACTLY how accurate that even is. They want to bring up his financial crimes and addiction problems. Yes, he is a and a thief and he’s screwed a lot of people over. But IMO there is a very bold line between financial crimes and killing your family. IMO

The state took 20 days and still haven’t gotten me any closer to believing AM is guilty. Their case is100% circumstantial. And it’s a WEAK circumstantial case IMO. The best evidence they presented was the Onstar data IMO. And I wonder EXACTLY how accurate that even is. They want to bring up his financial crimes and addiction problems. Yes, he is a and a thief and he’s screwed a lot of people over. But IMO there is a very bold line between financial crimes and killing your family. IMO

Could he have walked back to the house or the caretaker house and back to kennels in these 594 steps? Seems like a lot of walking in 10 minutes.
Doesn't seem like he walked to the house and back during that 10 minutes because OnStar showed his car driving to the house and back. Seems like he could have walked to caretaker house.

Than
It's coastal marshland that extends inland from my experience, but apparently there's a lot more to it culturally and historically according to this article.

It's coastal marshland that extends inland from my experience, but apparently there's a lot more to it culturally and historically according to this article.
Thanks. Great article. Explains alot...

BIB

They have a video that directly proves the accused was at the crime scene at the time of the murders.

Not trying to dissuade you, but clearly the case is not 100% circumstantial.

I don't think that lying about not being at the kennels. And then state proving he was there..is circumstantial. MO

The best evidence they presented was the Onstar data IMO. And I wonder EXACTLY how accurate that even is.
Why exactly would the OnStar data be inaccurate? It's basically just data from GPS satellites that mark the exact time and location of AM's Chevy Suburban. In my experience GPS data is extremely accurate. I would trust it over eyewitness testimony or other 'direct' evidence.

And if the OnStar data was inaccurate wouldn't Harpootlian have challenged it during cross?

The OnStar data shows that AM was at the kennels at the time that MM and PM's phones go silent forever. And that he remained there for another 17 minutes afterwards before driving off to Almeda. You can try and dance around the electronic data and say that it's just circumstantial evidence, but it's hard to square it with Alex's assertions that he wasn't there at the time of the murders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member