Found Safe FL - Boy, 2, missing while parents slept, Brooksville, Hernando County, Feb 2023

Young children have wandered from their homes while parents slept. I hope he's found safe today.

True.
I recall a time when we had just bought a house and were new to the Joshua Tree area.
A child, about 3 years old, was running down the middle of the road with a male's hiking boot on one foot.
I scooped that baby off that street and called LE.
Turns out that the child had run about 3 miles from home with that boot on after the child's caretaker fell asleep.
I never heard anything more after that.
It was so strange.

Update: 3:58 PM-
The search for the MISSING TODDLER continues. We have multiple law enforcement officers from multiple agencies on scene assisting with the search.
We are using canines from Hernando, Pasco, and Citrus counties, HCSO Aviation and drones, HCSO Mounted Unit, ATVs, and deputies on foot and in vehicles to search a very large area.
Sheriff Nienhuis will provide an update to our media partners just before 5p.m., at Cheever/Yontz.

This poor baby. I really hope he's just sound asleep under a bush somewhere with no idea that three counties are searching for him, but my inner skeptic wonders why three counties' worth of search dogs haven't found him yet if he truly just toddled out the door and went on an adventure.

The search for the MISSING TODDLER continues. We have multiple law enforcement officers from multiple agencies on scene assisting with the search.
We are using canines from Hernando, Pasco, and Citrus counties, HCSO Aviation and drones, HCSO Mounted Unit, ATVs, and deputies on foot and in vehicles to search a very large area.
Sheriff Nienhuis will provide an update to our media partners just before 5p.m., at Cheever/Yontz.

This poor baby. I really hope he's just sound asleep under a bush somewhere with no idea that three counties are searching for him, but my inner skeptic wonders why three counties' worth of search dogs haven't found him yet if he truly just toddled out the door and went on an adventure.
Glad they're using SAR dogs right from the start !
The dogs should be able to alert on how far he walked.
Hoping he wasn't picked up by a predator ?
:(

They might work nights.

True. But parents just can’t sleep in the daytime when their active child is awake. They would arrange for daycare or find a way to confine the child to the house safely. I feel awful for them, while also being fully aware of the safety issues. Here’s hoping this little guy is just having an adventure.
JMO (I was the parent of a 2 year old in a rural area 52 years ago)

TRANSCRIPTION OF PRESS UPDATE

23RD FEB.

LE
- We're here at Cheever Rd. in the area of Yontz Rd. looking for a missing toddler. This little guy is about 2 1/5 yrs. old, his birthday is in July. He's got blond curly hair. He was last seen wearing a dark coloured batman shirt and dark pants. We got called just about noon and mom said that she last saw him about an hour ago but as things are evolving we're finding out that the last time this child was actually seen was about 9:45 this morning.

So, we ask everyone in the area, who lives in this general area, to please go outside and look around their properties, look under the bushes, look in any cars that are parked that are unlocked, look in any sheds, outbuildings, check anywhere for this little fellow. We're getting a lot of requests for volunteers 'do you want us to come and look for him?' At this moment, the best thing that everybody can do is just go outside of their own property and search it thoroughly and call 911 if they see anything.

We've got numerous units here, upwards of 50. We've got units on horseback, units on foot, units on ATV's. We've got our helicopter up, we've got drones up. Just detectives and deputies walking, every single resource that we have access to. We've called in our mounted unit, we've called in K-9s from Pasco County and Citrus County, so every single resource is being deployed to look for this little guy. So if anybody has any information, or if they see this little guy around their property, and since it's been so long now it doesn't have to be people just on Cheever Rd. or Yontz Rd., anybody in this general area, please look around and see if you see him out there.

Reporter - You said he's 2 yrs. old right?

LE - He's just over 2. His birthday is in July, 2020, so he'll be 3 yrs. old in July.

Reporter - A 2 yr. old - how mobile can he be, can he run?

LE - You never know. You see these little kids running around seems like they never run out of energy, so we don't know if he's on the move or if he's maybe hunkered down somewhere and is hiding, fell asleep, playing with some animal. We don't know.

Reporter - How did you say the parent's lost him?

LE - Well it was reported that he walked out the door whilst mom and he were sleeping, so I don't know if he woke up and then just left, not sure.

Reporter - Can you describe how their area is? Like what's around them? Where do they live by or... ?

LE - It's a parcel if you will. There's a couple of residences there but they're not close together. It's not like a regular neighbourhood. There's a lot of space in the yards there and a lot of things, like barns and sheds and cars and all kinds of things and the woods here are so very thick. So, if people who live in this area can please check their own property and call 911 if you see this little guy.

Reporter - So you said he's been missing since 9:45 but he didn't get reported until what time?

LE - Just about noon. We got the call at 11:59 and we had units here almost immediately and we've been searching ever since and she thought that he'd been gone for about an hour but it turns out, pretty much, that the last time he was actually seen was at 9:45 this morning.

Reporter - And that's the only reason he wasn't reported faster right? Because... ?

LE - She said she looked for him for a while. I think it said in the call that she looked for him for about an hour. We just really need the assistance of the community to check around their properties, if they live in this area and call 911 if they see him.

Reporter - Is there any special needs that he has or is he just a normal 2 yr. old?

LE - I don't believe there's any special needs, I haven't been advised of that. And I think you should have his picture, I sent that to all the stations.

Reporter - His name?

LE - His name is Joshua Rollin and he goes by 'JJ'.

Reporter - I think there's one change. I think he was spotted at 10:45.

LE - He was possibly spotted at 10:45, possibly. I'm not sure if that's confirmed or not but the last time the parents had actually had eyes on him was about 9:45.

Reporter - You did say all the equipment you guys are using..

LE - Horses, drones, aviation, K9's, our own, and Pascoe and Citrus, ATV's and we're just walking and driving up and down everywhere where a car can go and where cars can't go they're using the ATVs and getting back in there and using drones, so pulling out all the stops.

Reporter - Is there any ponds or lakes nearby?

LE - There could be some retention ponds back there but I'm not positive of that because I couldn't see any when I was there.

Reporter - Do you know how many units or troops are involved in this?

LE - More than 50. We have more than 50 and then fire departments out here with us and Pascoe and Citrus are here, so there's quite a few units here.

Reporter - I'm guessing he doesn't have a history of doing this?

LE - Not that I'm aware of.
Thank you.

1677187563625.png1677187571056.png1677187574772.png

Last edited:

Can we quote a comment , am never quite sure

Oh, I cringed when I read that he was actually last seen at 9:45 AM, not just an hour before reported missing. That difference could be significant in terms of JJ being found safe or not. Hoping for the best.
I did as well. I understand why she may have wanted to search for him herself for an hour rather than admit that he was actually gone, but a determined child can get so far in a whole hour, I really wish she hadn't done that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back