SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #32

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fresh indictments allege Murdaugh stole more than $2.2 million meant for four clients: Natarsha Thomas, Hakeem Pinckney, Arthur Badger and Deon Martin. The new charges include 19 counts of breach of trust with fraudulent intent and four counts of computer crimes.

On June 23, 2020, Murdaugh III created a will that gave all of his estate to a trust under his name. The Randolph Murdaugh III Trust is listed as the only beneficiary of his estate.

The Murdaugh family patriarch’s wife and four children are named as heirs in the will but not direct beneficiaries, according to the records.

It’s unclear how Murdaugh III’s trust, which is not a public record, will be distributed.

Was he putting money in the Murdaugh trust?
Depending on the Type of Trust, those monies can not be touched. Protected by the Trust. Seems the family overall, including brothers and sister, etc., has been planning how to protect assets for some time.

But WHY do they keep letting him control them? Even if they didn‘t think he murdered them, by the time he was in jail, they knew that he had robbed SO many needy and wounded people. WHY continue taking his calls multiple times each day? WHY keep letting him tell you what to do? WHY did JMM allow AM to manipulate his wife— to insist she put money in commissary account ‘right now’, when she was putting her children to bed? Why not stand up for your own wife? She was clearly uncomfortable with the whole thing. Why does Buster continue to take orders from him? i would have stopped answering the phone altogether if he was still trying to manipulate me from jail.
These are such good points. This entire family is completely dysfunctional IMO. It reminds me of Ruth Madoff. Eventually she cut ties with Bernie after he was in jail but it took a while. Even at the cost of her relationship with her sons.

If I’m a juror, I’m probably thinking AM is guilty of murder. Also, on the 1% chance I’m wrong, and AM rots in prison for a murder he didn’t commit, I can take comfort in the fact that I helped put a self admitted lying thief in prison for the rest of his life where he was destined to go anyways. Guilty.

Depending on the Type of Trust, those monies can not be touched. Protected by the Trust. Seems the family overall, including brothers and sister, etc., has been planning how to protect assets for some time.

Ah, that is why Buster doesn't care about finishing law school, and shows up to court each day with a driver who opens his door. He has income from the trust. Which, he doesn't have to share with his brother.

I personally don't buy that AM tried to get killed so Buster would have the $10 million in insurance. I think it was a plan to show people were out to kill him. AM doesn't think of anyone but himself.

But WHY do they keep letting him control them? Even if they didn‘t think he murdered them, by the time he was in jail, they knew that he had robbed SO many needy and wounded people. WHY continue taking his calls multiple times each day? WHY keep letting him tell you what to do? WHY did JMM allow AM to manipulate his wife— to insist she put money in commissary account ‘right now’, when she was putting her children to bed? Why not stand up for your own wife? She was clearly uncomfortable with the whole thing. Why does Buster continue to take orders from him? i would have stopped answering the phone altogether if he was still trying to manipulate me from jail.
My inlaws have the same family dynamic, family first regardless of what is going on and you don’t say no regardless of what the ask is. SIL snd DIL’s are not considered family. My MIL pitched a fit because my husband told her no, he would not go with his 25 year old sister to a dermatology appt, the mil, older brother were going with her- it was the same day he was bringing me home from the hospital with our 3rd child and I had a c-section. She called me at the hospital to try to convince me to get my mother to stay with me, said I don’t understand family, etc. :rolleyes: It‘s great to have a supportive family but can also be very weird and dysfunctional.

It's my understanding that if the Trustee (who is likely Murdaugh) can touch assets in the trust (move them from one interest bearing account, to another, etc). If the Trustee takes money out of the trust and uses it for legal fees, then the trust is open to suits from those seeking judgment against the Trustee.

Whoever, the Trustee is, that person is certainly in Alex's pocket (it's probably some banker at this point, but still - that Trustee will likely do what the Murdaugh trust-maker tells him/her).

IMO. If Maggie had trusts, upon her death if heirs were specified, then the trust is dissolved and the proceeds go to those heirs. I think that's true most places (just went through it with my parents). Don't know SC trust law, though.

On June 23, 2020, Murdaugh III created a will that gave all of his estate to a trust under his name. The Randolph Murdaugh III Trust is listed as the only beneficiary of his estate.

The Murdaugh family patriarch’s wife and four children are named as heirs in the will but not direct beneficiaries, according to the records.

It’s unclear how Murdaugh III’s trust, which is not a public record, will be distributed.

Was he putting money in the Murdaugh trust?
I'm going to guess the trust was just a common method to eliminate/defer taxes due upon death.

For instance, My dad is wealthy and has several trusts set up. The main one deals with how the bulk of his assets are distributed on his death. At probate, that trust is split into 3 trusts - one for each of his children. During our lives, me and my siblings have free reign on each of those trusts and can spend the money as we wish (although he could also change it to place provisions on this - only a certain amount of money could be withdrawn each year or only money for certain things). But on our deaths, we have no control over where any money that remains in the trust goes. We cannot bequeath it to our spouse, favorite charity, or favorite child - the money is equally split among all of my father's grandchildren. This generation-skipping aspect of it is how taxes are avoided and is very common among the wealthy crowd.

I never would intentionally hurt my wife and son.
I would never intentionally hurt my wife and son.
I would never intentionally hurt my wife and son.

Earlier in the trial I thought there was a possibility that AM might break down and confess. When he rocked back and forth, wiping tears, I’m thinking, just confess your sins - you’ll be free, not from consequences but the tremendous burden will be lifted. I thought he was close, but not anymore. He sold his soul to the devil and I think he’s past the point of return. IMO

If I was the prosecutor, I would consider presenting the timeline according to AM and team. I would start with statements that AM offered or made without being asked, followed by when he was replying to questions asked.
He had a moderately good plan to make it look like he wasn't there, except that 1) he opened his mouth and 2) he didn't realize that PM had hit record.
If it wasn't for that recording, the prosecution's case would need more help. With it, AM had to readjust and squirm.
Like in the Idaho murders, yet another crime that might've gone unsolved back in the old days. How ironic that Paul, the less-loved son, might get to send his dad to prison.

At the beginning of Alex’s testimony he talks about getting paranoid “and then I lied.” He went on to fake cry and apologize to his family members and “especially Maggie and Paul. I would never intentionally hurt my wife or son.” If he’s apologizing for lying to the police, why include Maggie and Paul? Why mention hurting them if he’s talking about lying to police? He didn’t hurt Maggie and Paul by lying to police; he hurt them by killing them. I think he forgot himself in that moment.

It’s like a cult. They have had control for so long and they don’t have any intentions to break the seal. Deferring to the wives is giving up some control and the players need to control the narrative to the public.

Am I hearing things!? In Alex's testimony yesterday, at minute mark 2:42:22, when explaining why he didn't want to go to the kennels, does he actually say "when you go to the kennel, you always end up getting shot, the dogs are running around..." Does he mean "shot" as "getting worn out"? What a morbid choice of words!!! Here's the link:
L & C livestream 2/24

About the snorting and sniffing...It is possible AM is using some actor's tricks to cry on command, one of which is applying menthol under the eyes or nose. As a generation X member, I'd like to reference the substance from my childhood called "mentholatum," the unholy *advertiser censored* child of menthol and petroleum jelly. It makes everything, including your nose, water. I think actors apply it or something similar on their face, and then use subtle movements to move it into their eyes as needed. Just a complete guess. Although, I think that the same hammy actor who suddenly came down with a brutal case of corny nicknames for everyone might try something this sneaky and cheesy.

Also, IIRC, dry throat is one of the involuntary physiological responses to stress. When my old job involved public speaking, I would get a weird tickling in my throat which would result in incessant coughing while speaking. Over time, the pattern stopped when I became accustomed to speaking regularly. Court itself is not stressful for A, but being on trial and lying through your teeth is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member