SC - Stephen Smith, 19, homicide, Hampton Co, 9 Jul 2015 *new death investigation 2023*

You don’t just start your killing career with shooting at Alex for money. I think Eddie did some dirty work for the Murdaughs before then. If so then this may mean that Buster and Paul had nothing to do with Stephen’s murder, but instead a hit man. Was this cousin the person being paid out for hit dirty work starting in 2015 with the murder of Stephen?

Speaking of people "being paid", let's not forget the $5000 Alex paid to Yemassee police chief Greg Alexander. I don't believe Alexander's claim that it was a loan for his parents, and that he was just a "pass-through". I'd bet a dollar to a dime that the $5k was payment for some dirty deed.....

Speaking of people "being paid", let's not forget the $5000 Alex paid to Yemassee police chief Greg Alexander. I don't believe Alexander's claim that it was a loan for his parents, and that he was just a "pass-through". I'd bet a dollar to a dime that the $5k was payment for some dirty deed.....

Oh heck yes this has to be one of the dirty doers! Wow! Corruption all over the board.

My sis in law had her uncles and grandfather murdered by a sheriff in Sylvania, GA over some moonshine operation they had that the sheriff ripped off. Sylvania is a hop skip jump from Hampton.

Good old boy stuff definitely runs through the sheriff/chief.

Did Greg Alexander handle Stephen’s case?

Last edited:

S.C. Teen Died Mysteriously in 2015. His Case Was Reopened When Investigators Looked into Murdaugh Murders​

Stephen Smith was found dead in the middle of a dark Hampton County road, and his mother believes he was murdered​

Last Sunday afternoon, family and friends of Stephen Smith, a South Carolina teen who died under mysterious circumstances in 2015, traveled to the Gooding Cemetery in Hampton County, S.C.

There, they listened to gospel songs, speeches and unveiled a new headstone for the 19-year-old's grave, which is close to the spot where his father, who died three months after his son, is buried.

"[Stephen's mother] has said it was from a broken heart," Susanne Andrews, the founder of #StandingforStephen, a group that raised funds for the headstone, tells PEOPLE.

Also buried close by is Stephen's brother, who died as a baby.

"Stephen's getting his final resting place honored and recognized," says Andrews.

Stephen Smith’s family wants answers as Murdaugh trial begins​

(NewsNation) — As Alex Murdaugh heads to trial for the murder of his wife and son, there is another mysterious case that has led investigators back to the Murdaugh family.

In 2015, 19-year-old Stephen Smith was found in the middle of a rural road. Police determined it was a hit and run.

But from day one, his mother said otherwise, believing her son was murdered. Accident investigators agreed. Yet, the case was left classified as a hit and run.

Now, the case is being reexamined, including why some Murdaugh family members were among those first on scene.

Head Injury Stephen Smith Sustained Was Consistent With Gunshot Wound, Investigators Said in Case Notes​

An investigator for the South Carolina Highway Patrol says that he thinks Stephen Smith's body was staged the night of his death in July 2015.​

The 19-year-old was found lying in the middle of the roadway with severe head trauma in the early morning hours of July 8, 2015. A man driving on the road that evening called police just before 5 a.m. to report a person lying in the roadside, according to police reports.

The driver reportedly told police he first thought Smith was an animal, but took a second glance and noticed "a white male lying in the middle of the road."

At first, when police arrived, they suspected his death was a result of a hit-and-run. Detectives speculated a truck had side-swiped him with a rearview mirror as Smith walked along the dark road, according to incident reports.

EXCLUSIVE: Cops investigating death of gay teen 'killed in hit-and-run' were convinced it was homicide and pursued tips questioning boy's 'relationship' with heir of powerful South Carolina family, whose mother and brother were shot dead​

Police investigating a teen's suspicious death probed witnesses over any relationship the dead boy may have had with the heir to a powerful South Carolina legal dynasty, DailyMail.com can reveal.

Stephen Smith, 19, was found dead in the middle of a country road 15 miles from the Murdaugh family's Islandton hunting lodge on July 8, 2015.

The Corrupt World Behind the Murdaugh Murders

More jolting swerves followed the murder of Paul and Maggie, as the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division announced that it was examining two more fatalities potentially connected to the Murdaughs. The first, from 2015, involved a young nursing student, Stephen Smith, who had been found dead in the middle of a road near Hampton, with a serious head injury. Superficial appearances suggested that he’d run out of gas, begun walking home, and been accidentally hit by a vehicle. But none of the usual evidence of a hit-and-run had been found. “I saw no vehicle debris, skid marks, or injuries consistent with someone being struck by a vehicle,” a highway-patrol officer at the scene reported. Days after the killing, Smith’s mother told the police she’d heard that Paul and Buster Murdaugh were behind it. Officers investigated the tip, and the possibility of a hate crime emerged: Smith was gay, and his name was linked with Buster’s in the gossip mill of former high-school classmates. (Buster could not be reached for comment.) But before the officers could track the rumor to its source, the pathologist in the case described Smith’s death as the result of being struck by a motor vehicle—contradicting the opinions of the county coroner and at least one highway-patrol investigator. No Murdaughs were ever questioned.

This case really bothers me, so tragic. I hope this time they really do better, or remove those in LE who did nothing when this crime occurred (wish I could recall the name of the officer who stated this was no "accident"). After watching the documentaries about the Murdaugh family, the interview of the girlfriend of one of the Murdaugh boys (I think it was Paul's gf) and what the family said about Stephen in front of her (a slur), I think everyone out there knows who is responsible for what happened. I am hoping this gets the attention it deserves.

Stephen’s Autopsy​

Hours later, a pathologist at the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) — Dr. Erin Presnell — ruled that Stephen was killed in a hit-and-run accident, a decision which was met with confusion and skepticism by investigators and those who knew Stephen.

Investigators theorized that the mirror of a semi-truck hit Stephen’s head.

This decision to rule his death a hit-and-run appeared to skew the investigation by SCHP’s Multi-disciplinary Accident Investigation Team (MAIT) – who typically investigate accidents, not murders.

In a report (below) by Todd Proctor, a MAIT detective for SCHP, it was clear that investigators didn’t agree with the pathologist’s conclusion to rule the death a hit and run.

It was also clear from the report that there was tension between Presnell and SCHP. He said another investigator “had already had, from (his) understanding a heated conversation with her about this issue.”

On July 22, 2015, Proctor visited Presnell at MUSC to “get some sort of clarification” on the Smith case.

Proctor wrote that Presnell spoke in a “negative tone” and “basically called (him) a liar” when he said that he’d already spoken to Hampton County Coroner Ernie Washington.

“I asked her why she stated that in the report and her answer was ‘because he was found in the road,'” Proctor wrote. “She had no evidence other than that for the statement being put in the report.”

Proctor said that he explained to her that law enforcement officers “had no evidence of this individual being struck by a vehicle.”

“As I was leaving she stated that the report was preliminary and it was my job to figure out what struck him, not hers,” Proctor wrote.

In August 2015, the coroner told Proctor that he did not agree with the final autopsy results in the Stephen Smith case.

The final autopsy report said that Stephen’s cause of death was blunt head trauma, motor vehicle crash, pedestrian vs. vehicle. It said the manner of death (which is either homicide, accident, natural, suicide, or undetermined) was still undetermined.

“The pathologist also states in the report, that in light of historical information along with the autopsy, these conclusions were made,” Proctor wrote. “To what historical information she possessed, I am unaware.”

Proctor then spoke with Kelly Greene, Hampton County deputy coroner and a SLED agent — who both attended the autopsy — and said they didn’t make any reference to the pathologist about the victim being struck by a vehicle, only that he was found in the road.

Proctor also wrote in his report that Greene was fired sometime between July 22 – August 18 2019. According to the autopsy, Greene was responsible for evidence transfer in the case.

Screen-Shot-2021-06-18-at-11.47.20-AM.png

Stephen’s friends and family also disputed the autopsy report. Stephen was sharp and hyper-aware of his surroundings.A toxicology report showed that Stephen was completely sober at the time of his death.

“Stephen was not stupid,” Stephen’s friend told FITSNews. “There is no way that would happen to him. He would not let a car, let alone a truck, get close enough to hit him. That did not happen to my friend. He doesn’t deserve that. He doesn’t deserve people to think that.”

Stephen was beloved. He was an openly gay young man in the small town of Hampton, South Carolina, which wasn’t easy, but he made the best of it, his friends told FITSNews. He was bright and determined to make a better life for himself. He was in school for nursing at the time of his death.

A former state trooper has cast fresh doubt on the conclusions of a 2015 death investigation that is being re-examined after new information surfaced in connection with the high-profile Murdaugh family killings.

Former trooper Todd Proctor served as a lead investigator on the death of 19-year-old Stephen Smith, whose body was found on July 8, 2015, on Sandy Run Road near Joe Miley Road in Hampton.

He told the Aiken Standard on June 24 he still disputes the autopsy findings and disagrees with conclusions that Smith died as a result of a hit-and-run collision.

A former state trooper has cast fresh doubt on the conclusions of a 2015 death investigation that is being re-examined after new information surfaced in connection with the high-profile Murdaugh family killings.

Former trooper Todd Proctor served as a lead investigator on the death of 19-year-old Stephen Smith, whose body was found on July 8, 2015, on Sandy Run Road near Joe Miley Road in Hampton.

He told the Aiken Standard on June 24 he still disputes the autopsy findings and disagrees with conclusions that Smith died as a result of a hit-and-run collision.
Dear @arielilane,

Thank you for all of your updates and articles regarding Stephen Smith. I needed to catch up and you are greatly appreciated for this.

I believe that the death of Stephen Smith will be scrutinized more closely than before.

My hope is great for justice for Stephen Smith and his loving family who have waited so long for the investigation into this case to move forward.

JMO

Did anyone else hear FitsNews say during live coverage of AM trial a couple weeks ago that sources were saying the SS case had taken a turn to something ‘drug related’ ? I will try and find out what day that was…

Stephen Smith Death: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know​

• Updated Mar 4, 2023 at 8:16pm
A reporter for The Island Packet newspaper posted investigative documents from the case on Document Cloud. FITS news has also published some case documents here, as well as a timeline of the Smith death investigation.

According to Jake Shore of the Island Packet, South Carolina Highway Patrol investigator Todd Proctor wrote the posted investigative report, which says that he began investigating a “possible hit and run” on Sandy Run Road near Joe Miley Road on July 8, 2015.

As he headed to the scene, another law enforcement official, identified only as Cpl. Allen, said that “it was a homicide, not a hit and run,” the report says. Proctor advised Allen to make sure that was the coroner’s ruling, according to the investigative report.

When he arrived at the scene, he saw a “white male lying in the roadway on the center line with head trauma to the right side above his brow,” the report says, adding that Coroner Ernie Washington said the death was a homicide and that the wound was a “gunshot wound and showed me the entry point.”

There was also a “defensive wound to the hand,” the report says. He walked the scene and “saw no evidence of any car parts or pieces,” according to the report.

Stephen Smith Death: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know​

• Updated Mar 4, 2023 at 8:16pm
A reporter for The Island Packet newspaper posted investigative documents from the case on Document Cloud. FITS news has also published some case documents here, as well as a timeline of the Smith death investigation.

According to Jake Shore of the Island Packet, South Carolina Highway Patrol investigator Todd Proctor wrote the posted investigative report, which says that he began investigating a “possible hit and run” on Sandy Run Road near Joe Miley Road on July 8, 2015.

As he headed to the scene, another law enforcement official, identified only as Cpl. Allen, said that “it was a homicide, not a hit and run,” the report says. Proctor advised Allen to make sure that was the coroner’s ruling, according to the investigative report.

When he arrived at the scene, he saw a “white male lying in the roadway on the center line with head trauma to the right side above his brow,” the report says, adding that Coroner Ernie Washington said the death was a homicide and that the wound was a “gunshot wound and showed me the entry point.”

There was also a “defensive wound to the hand,” the report says. He walked the scene and “saw no evidence of any car parts or pieces,” according to the report.
Just wild that this was deemed an accident…

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back