AZ - Gabriel Cuen-Buitimea, allegedly shot and killed with an AK-47 by rancher George Alan Kelly, 75, Kino Springs, Jan 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
K's property is outlined in the googleearth. D.R.R. testified that he and Gabriel Cuen-Butimea, 48, the Mexican man killed on K's ranch, had paid for passage across the border from Nogales, Mexico, and were heading to Phoenix. ( Arizona rancher’s charge reduced; migrant recounts shooting )

Nogales, Mexico to Phoenix, AZ
View attachment 405884

Where Mr and Mrs K live, is on, or is very close to, one of the most dangerous areas on the border. It appears that Mr. K. had fenced the area around his immediate homeplace and garage.

Map of Home and Garrage from GoogleEarth:
View attachment 405879

Photos of Ranch: VERMILION MOUNTAIN RANCH

I'm not making a statement for or against anything being built/constructed, just providing data about the area. I do find it odd that Agent Terry and the deceased in this case, GCB, were shot in a similar fashion.

Good site for photos and info of region: The Wall – Interactive map exploring U.S.-Mexico border
Bumped for the map. It doesn't show here, the OP is #470 on this thread, map of enclave and location of property, 2 google earth images. Can be seen here by clicking on attachments, above.

Last edited:
If someone took 2500 dollars from the victim for services and routed him through a property well known to be inhabited by a private property absolutist, wouldnt that person be responsible for reckless endangerment of the victim? Or criminal negligence, conspiracy to trespass etc etc

Was the fee declared as income to any governing authority? Plenty of crime to spread around this situation. Theft of a backpack and contents. Are the radios being operated at frequencies and power levels legal under the FCC? Were all guns present legal by statute? Was anybody an undocumented concealed weapon carrier?

Ditto that. They would not have had time to go around recovering casings, retrieving backpacks and gathering up ak47s as they were under fire. Iirc Kelly said "10" , and he said that his wife confirms "10" .

Kelly, OTOH had hours.

I wouldn’t think they could gather that many casings while under AK fire.

I would guess that embellishing a made up story in an attempt to make it more believable could be why details like the horse are in the witness accounts.

Or they were really there and their recollection of events could be off. JMO.
Or they could have been coached, but didn’t quite get it right, IYKWIM.

The defendant took part in extremely reckless actions showing a lack of concern for another human life
I stand corrected (confident your attribution is accurate). In nearly every other state that would be distinct from "murder" and described as a degree of manslaughter or negligent homicide. For it to be folded into second degree murder suggests a pretty rigorous definition for "extremely reckless actions". I still think the charge will be reduced further even if no migrant shell casings are found.
If someone took 2500 dollars from the victim for services and routed him through a property well known to be inhabited by a private property absolutist, wouldnt that person be responsible for reckless endangerment of the victim? Or criminal negligence, conspiracy to trespass etc etc

Was the fee declared as income to any governing authority? Plenty of crime to spread around this situation. Theft of a backpack and contents. Are the radios being operated at frequencies and power levels legal under the FCC? Were all guns present legal by statute? Was anybody an undocumented concealed weapon carrier?
Those fees would have been paid in Mexico and even if the shooting victim was engaged in tax evasion, FCC violations and other white collar crime those aren't on the short list of Arizona crimes it's legal to use deadly force to prevent. Even weapon violations and reckless endangerment are only supporting arguments to a claim that he had reason to fear for his life.

I do think this guy is going to spend some time in jail but I don't think he should spend all his remaining years even if it turns out beyond a reasonable doubt that he made a mistake and accidentally killed a guy he was trying to run off from his property. Even further than that, I would like to see laws changed to give private citizens more of a right to defend their property from illegal immigration. This is supposed to be a nation of The People and We should not be legally barred from reasonably defending its borders that we privately own.

I guess if this all progresses in the worst way for Kelly it will send a message to others to keep less-than-lethal ammo at the top of their first magazine.

I stand corrected (confident your attribution is accurate). In nearly every other state that would be distinct from "murder" and described as a degree of manslaughter or negligent homicide. For it to be folded into second degree murder suggests a pretty rigorous definition for "extremely reckless actions". I still think the charge will be reduced further even if no migrant shell casings are found.

Those fees would have been paid in Mexico and even if the shooting victim was engaged in tax evasion, FCC violations and other white collar crime those aren't on the short list of Arizona crimes it's legal to use deadly force to prevent. Even weapon violations and reckless endangerment are only supporting arguments to a claim that he had reason to fear for his life.

I do think this guy is going to spend some time in jail but I don't think he should spend all his remaining years even if it turns out beyond a reasonable doubt that he made a mistake and accidentally killed a guy he was trying to run off from his property. Even further than that, I would like to see laws changed to give private citizens more of a right to defend their property from illegal immigration. This is supposed to be a nation of The People and We should not be legally barred from reasonably defending its borders that we privately own.

I guess if this all progresses in the worst way for Kelly it will send a message to others to keep less-than-lethal ammo at the top of their first magazine.
How would they know if it was illegal immigration before they shoot? And would they then also be able to shoot at American citizens or green card holders?

Exactly. Responsibility is trying not to hurt others with a firearm without regard for their status. Unfortunately status is becoming a big part of this case.
I can't figure out how to research if that road, E Sagebrush, adjacent to his house and dividing his property is public land. IIRC in that realtor post describing his property it says "dead end road". And I say "whose road?". What if it is public, and they were shot AT on public property, and Kelly was indiscriminately shooting OVER public property? In Alaska you can pretty much shoot away at distant cans or bottles or at varmints on your own property, but you'll get in HUGE trouble shooting from or over a public thoroughfare. Not to mention killing someone on the other side of the public road, even if it is your property over there.

This might be one of the items the prosecutor is withholding for now, relating to his being a danger to public safety. Hmmmm

Last edited:
Exactly. Responsibility is trying not to hurt others with a firearm without regard for their status. Unfortunately status is becoming a big part of this case.

maybe.....''History has a habit of repeating itself'' fits in here somehow ??

We do not know, but the BP and possibly local LE may know...the history of any armed illegal immigrant and cartel members caught on this property. I have a feeling there is quite the history. MOO

maybe.....''History has a habit of repeating itself'' fits in here somehow ??

We do not know, but the BP and possibly local LE may know...the history of any armed illegal immigrant and cartel members caught on this property. I have a feeling there is quite the history. MOO

How often have these kinds of armed engagements with citizens happened?

1.) Outline of ranch
2.) Call came in that body was found by Sagebrush Rd
Did he kill a man by shooting over a public road? Why else would Kino Springs agree to "expeditiously" provide electricity to him if he is not by a public road? Look at the map his house is practically, nearly in town. No way could he have shot to the N, the W, or the S without shooting over that road, imo

Last edited:
There is no proof that the murdered victim was engaged in violent activities. There is a coordinated effort to take the focus off the accused murderer. There is no proof of the group carrying ak47s, pointing them at Kelly or requiring him to return fire. We don't even know if women and children were along.

"Multiple U.S. Border Patrol sources told NewsNation that Kelly had a reputation among the smugglers as someone who fires his rifle off when undocumented individuals are on his property."

Mr. Kelly was sitting on his property.... a grandiose, spectacularly-failed tourism project. The documents were posted here on this same thread yesterday. No explanation for why he bought property so close to the border, when there have been problems for so long.

This morning diagrams were posted of the fenced area enclosing the tiny enclave he lives in, the fenced are which includes the house and barn.

Mr Kelly wrote a book, available on Amazon, which includes his attitudes towards immigrants.

He just miscalculated this time, imo, and murdered a man by accident. But since he is charged with shooting him in the back, hard to seek forgiveness. So now, an elaborate effort must be made to somehow make it the victim's own misfortune.

The focus of the case is the alleged murderer, the proof that will be presented against him, his motives, his history with shooting when immigrants pass by, his known, published, attitudes regarding immigrants, the pressures he likely endures since his planned business failed & the significant loss of value in his land.

Imo
rbbm for focus

The witness stated there were no women or children in the group.

He said they were all hombres (adult men). There were seven in total, according to the witness.

How would they know if it was illegal immigration before they shoot? And would they then also be able to shoot at American citizens or green card holders?
If a person has a group of armed men on their property I doubt they would be concerned about status. That situation would definitely put a person on high alert at the very least. This is 170 acres on the outskirts of town. It’s not a walkable area in an urban setting. No reason to be walking there. imo

Correct me if I'm wrong, but google seems to indicate that nuttmegg could legally walk on a public road, open carrying an ak47 in Arizona. Properly registered, whatever. And Kelly, if living along that public road, would have no right to challenge me for my papers, much less shoot at me. How could anyone claim self defense from someone passing his house on a public road, if it is public?

I think probably that shooting across a public road is illegal in Arizona. Anyone know for sure, still researching that.

Imo

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but google seems to indicate that nuttmegg could legally walk on a public road, open carrying an ak47 in Arizona. Properly registered, whatever. And Kelly, if living along that public road, would have no right to challenge me for my papers, much less shoot at me.

I think probably that shooting across a public road is illegal in Arizona. Anyone know for sure, still researching that.

Imo
Where are you getting this information that Mr Kelly was shooting across a public road?

I think possibly that the 'road' discussion came from the witnesses, who were attempting to describe their surroundings at the time. One of them reported a "road" nearby. But, IMO..this was a private dirt path/ trail head which was used by the land owner. Maybe in an ORV, or via horse. It was wide enough to fit a vehicle, in closer proximity to the home, but it was definitely not a paved city/town road. This was a privately owned trail head, on Kelly's private property. Just my thoughts on the matter.

I think possibly that the 'road' discussion came from the witnesses, who were attempting to describe their surroundings at the time. One of them reported a "road" nearby. But, IMO..this was a private dirt path/ trail head which was used by the land owner. Maybe in an ORV, or via horse. It was wide enough to fit a vehicle, in closer proximity to the home, but it was definitely not a paved city/town road. This was a privately owned trail head, on Kelly's private property. Just my thoughts on the matter.
well I just posted the map showing how extensive E Sagebrush road is within his property.

It's a real road while dirt paths can be see on the map as well. Unless he shot at them thru that relatively narrow sector to the east, he had to have shot across the main road, assuming he shot from near his patio.

I think I understand why they immediately arrested him, "if" he had been firing across public property where passersby could have also been killed. Also, he lives way closer to town than I thought, I can't determine for certain the scale from that map, but I think the distance between his house and town is less than the 380 yd effective range of his ak. I'll try to figure out that distance, nearly 4 football fields.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa