Found Deceased VA - Chad Austin, 30, Buena Vista, Amhurst County, 27 May 2019

Something about this still bothers me....as an avid dog owner....even suicidal - I would think he would let the dog run free before locking it in the car for a slow death (in the event his car wasn't found timely)

Rest in Peace

I hope he left the window rolled down some, and left the car where he would hope the car/dog would be found!

WATCH: Police provide update on the death of missing Buena Vista man

snipped...

His wallet “turned up” at Pather Falls six months after Austin was reported missing, authorities said.

“We especially want to hear from the individual(s) who returned Chad’s wallet to the scene more than six months after his disappearance,” said Special Agent Kevin Zirkle. “It was not overlooked on previous searches of that area. We know it was intentionally placed there and, perhaps, there is a very reasonable explanation. We have been trying to figure out why that person, though, has not contacted us yet.”

State police were also able to confirm through texts on Austin’s phone that he was anticipating being confronted by people who were determined to settle a disagreement to him a few days leading up to his death, authorities said.

“We have no reason whatsoever to believe that Chad was looking for trouble, but we do know that he had a reason to suspect a confrontation was inevitable. We know there are additional people in the Buena Vista community who know certain pieces of information related to Chad’s death, but are fearful to come forward for a number of reasons,” said Zirkle.

Virginia police were joined by local law enforcement and Austin’s family at the press conference, including his mother Ellen Austin as Thursday marks what would have been his 32nd birthday.

I hope someone will do the right thing and come forward. They can do it anonymously, just do it. This young man did not deserve this. It is obvious a coward kill this man. So senseless!

snipped...

His wallet “turned up” at Pather Falls six months after Austin was reported missing, authorities said.

“We especially want to hear from the individual(s) who returned Chad’s wallet to the scene more than six months after his disappearance,” said Special Agent Kevin Zirkle. “It was not overlooked on previous searches of that area. We know it was intentionally placed there and, perhaps, there is a very reasonable explanation. We have been trying to figure out why that person, though, has not contacted us yet.”

State police were also able to confirm through texts on Austin’s phone that he was anticipating being confronted by people who were determined to settle a disagreement to him a few days leading up to his death, authorities said.

“We have no reason whatsoever to believe that Chad was looking for trouble, but we do know that he had a reason to suspect a confrontation was inevitable. We know there are additional people in the Buena Vista community who know certain pieces of information related to Chad’s death, but are fearful to come forward for a number of reasons,” said Zirkle.

Virginia police were joined by local law enforcement and Austin’s family at the press conference, including his mother Ellen Austin as Thursday marks what would have been his 32nd birthday.

Last edited:

According to police, forensic evidence shows that a struggle between Austin and his killer took place that ultimately led to his death.

Sounds like they have enough to probably arrest somebody but they want that person to come forward on their own and provide information on more guilty parties. This one has been slow to unfold. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out. Optimistic for justice.

OCT 28, 2020
A Family’s Plea
[...]

2ceaa44abf_Ar00101002.jpg

THIS PHOTO of Chad Austin was among those released by state police last week as part of their ongoing murder investigation.

3c346c03d6_Ar00101005.jpg

VIRGINIA State Police organized the press conference about Chad Austin’s murder investigation at an overlook on the Blue Ridge Parkway last week, near where he was last seen in May 2019 at Panther Falls. (Stephanie Mikels Blevins photo)

42a597434a_Ar00101006.jpg

ELLEN AUSTIN, Chad Austin’s mother, speaks to news outlets about her family’s mission to get justice for Chad in the ongoing investigation. (Stephanie Mikels Blevins photo)

Chad Austin’s family is urging anyone with information about their son’s murder to come forward to help solve the Virginia State Police’s investigation, ongoing for nearly a year and a half.

Austin’s family appeared together at a news conference Wednesday, Oct. 21, along the Blue Ridge Parkway. The event served as a call from both family and law enforcement to get one step closer to justice for Austin, who would have turned 32 the following day.

[...]

“To even fathom that our son’s life was taken so early, is so hard for our family to bear,” Ellen Austin said. “To have Chad missing for a year and then to find out your son is dead has been horrific. Some were saying that at least you found him, but that doesn’t even begin to help us have closure because there are still so many unanswered questions. That’s why we need your help - everyone’s help. No matter how big or small, if you know something, please call state police or the Buena Vista Police. Please do this for our family.”

[...]

A search of the immediate area resulted in several personal items belonging to Austin, to include two knives, being found about a half mile from his abandoned car. Both knives were found with the blades in the open position. Additional forensic evidence collected at that location confirms that a struggle took place between Austin and his killer that ultimately led to his death. Six months after he was reported missing, Austin’s wallet turned up at Panther Falls.

[...]

“We especially want to hear from the individual(s) who returned Chad’s wallet to the scene more than six months after his disappearance,” Zirkle said. “It was not overlooked on previous searches of that area. We know it was intentionally placed there and, perhaps, there is a very reasonable explanation. We have been trying to figure out why that person, though, has not contacted us yet.”

Zirkle said that state police have also been able to confirm through text messages on Austin’s phone that in the days leading up to his disappearance and death, he was anticipating being confronted by a group of individuals who were determined to settle a disagreement with him.

“We have no reason whatsoever to believe that Chad was looking for trouble, but we do know that he had a reason to suspect a confrontation was inevitable,” Zirkle said. “We know there are additional people in the Buena Vista community who know certain pieces of information related to Chad’s death, but are fearful to come forward for a number of reasons. We want to reassure these individuals that our Number 1 goal is to correctly identify the person who did this to Chad. We know this was the act of one person, but that others were witness to his murder. We need to hear from those persons in order to render an arrest and see justice done for Chad and his family.”

[...]

On the Parkway, Ellen Austin showed media new “Justice for Chad Austin” fliers the family will be circulating. She asked that community members share his image on social media to encourage others to come forward with information. Those with any information about Austin are encouraged to call the Virginia State Police at (540) 375-9589 or contact the investigators by email at questions@vsp.virginia.gov.

was he really "impaired" when the hikers allegedly saw him? I am thinking those hikers saw someone else. If he knew he'd be "confronted" I can see leaving doggy in car to stay safe during the confrontation, but the whole timeline and events as laid out don't add up IMO. I think it's a case of LE knowing more than we do. The $1.22 in gas - if he was trying to hide, doesn't make sense. Was he being followed?

IMO the wallet could have been there and overlooked during searches. There are ground searches for missing people who are eventually found in those same areas that have been searched - this happens a lot.

Regardless, Chad is gone and there is reason to believe someone is responsible for his demise and that is the kind of sadness no parent should ever know.

was he really "impaired" when the hikers allegedly saw him? I am thinking those hikers saw someone else. If he knew he'd be "confronted" I can see leaving doggy in car to stay safe during the confrontation, but the whole timeline and events as laid out don't add up IMO. I think it's a case of LE knowing more than we do. The $1.22 in gas - if he was trying to hide, doesn't make sense. Was he being followed?

IMO the wallet could have been there and overlooked during searches. There are ground searches for missing people who are eventually found in those same areas that have been searched - this happens a lot.

Regardless, Chad is gone and there is reason to believe someone is responsible for his demise and that is the kind of sadness no parent should ever know.

I agree about the hikers/campers that saw him have always seemed odd to me, partially because they were never named and never spoke out in public. Seeing as it was a homicide the "impairment story" is suspect. Yes, I too think LE probably knows exactly who did this. Now the wallet, I do think it was placed there, why I don't know. I'm sure they took prints etc., but nothing was said of that. That area was searched, plus it was right under a posted sign about him being missing.

I agree about the hikers/campers that saw him have always seemed odd to me, partially because they were never named and never spoke out in public. Seeing as it was a homicide the "impairment story" is suspect. Yes, I too think LE probably knows exactly who did this. Now the wallet, I do think it was placed there, why I don't know. I'm sure they took prints etc., but nothing was said of that. That area was searched, plus it was right under a posted sign about him being missing.
Plus if the wallet had been laying there for nearly a year, that would have been evident in the way it looked. I think it was placed there too. Someone might just be playing games with LE. I also think that LE knows who and how and why but just cannot prove it. MOO MOO MOO

Virginia State Police search for witnesses in Chad Austin homicide investigation

State police say they are investigating it as a homicide, and they have some theories.

“I believe that there is a group of people that knows what happened to Chad Austin, the day that he went missing and that were there when his death was caused,” Special Agent Kevin Zirkle of the Virginia State Police said.

There are some people they would like to talk to.

“We know there are certain individuals who have not come forward with information, specifically I am referring to those individuals who know something because they were close enough to see or hear something of importance," Zirkle said. "Your continued silence just further suggests your culpability.”

They wouldn’t detail the cause of Austin’s death, but said the focus of the investigation is in the Rockbridge, Amherst and Buena Vista area, and they particularly want to meet with the person who dropped Austin’s wallet in the area of his death.

I think they know the who and why, but don’t have enough evidence to make an arrest. Maybe they could make an arrest, but know the evidence isn’t enough to hold up in court, possibly leading to the case being thrown out. It will likely come down to if they can get someone to talk. Being from WV, I can attest to the fact that so called “hillbilly justice” is real. I’ve luckily never seen any crime to the magnitude of a death, but I’ve made every effort to keep my family safe by knowing when to keep my mouth shut. (Again, thankfully nothing major at all.) I’m from an area and a culture where I’ve seen that type of revenge played out a few times. I say this as perspective because I think this could be part of why people are staying silent with anything they know about Chad’s death. It’s not so much that you are worried about your own safety, but that you know it could lead to drastic events happening to your loved ones. I hope someone does find the bravery to come forward because no murder deserves to go unsolved and unpunished. I think of this case often. I truly hope it gets solved.
(ALL JMO & IMOO)

Virginia State Police: Remains found in Amherst County identified as man missing since 2019 | WAVY.com

I came across this article today, dated May 26 2021. (Not sure what is new details in it however.)

Virginia State Police confirmed Monday that the remains of Chad Austin have been found.

Its team is now taking over the investigation, which is being treated as a homicide.

The discovery comes after searches in the Panther Falls area of Amherst County uncovered human remains back in late March, according to an announcement from Virginia State Police on Monday, May 18.

Authorities say the Virginia Department of Emergency Management, various search and rescue canine teams, Virginia State Police, the Amherst County Sheriff’s Office, and the Buena Vista Police Department participated in the search and recovery operation. In addition to the skeletal remains, police say forensic investigators collected property and evidence, which are currently being tested at the Virginia Department of Forensic Science.

One of the leads came back in December when Austin’s wallet was found in the Panther Falls area. Since they had already searched the area where it was found, investigators believe it may have been placed there afterwards.

“Finding the wallet, getting articles of clothing, getting the remains. All those bits and pieces and where things are located and the information that’s coming in, all of that helps us piece this puzzle together,” Geller says.

Virginia State Police are still waiting on more results from the medical examiner and forensic scientist to drive the next steps of the investigation.

“Because those remains were not found until March, you’re looking at almost a year of those remains being exposed to the elements and so fourth,” Geller says.

Family of Chad Austin pleads for information ahead of two year anniversary of his disappearance | WFXRtv

The family of Chad Hunter Austin — the Buena Vista man who went missing in May 2019 before his remains were discovered in the Panther Falls area of Amherst County in March 2020 — issued a plea to the public on Tuesday for information that will help uncover the circumstances surrounding Austin’s death.

The family's full statement is at the link above, but here's a snippet.
Although the investigators have made great progress since their last update on air in October 2020, we need to keep your name out there. We are thankful that the investigator stated that day “WE ARE GETTING CLOSER, YOU HAVE NOT GOTTEN AWAY WITH ANYTHING, WE ARE MAKING PROGRESS EVERY DAY”.

I just came across this thread. I thought it had been solved. Apparently not. The case is not included in the VA Cold Case Database. Apparently, there doesn't appear to be much progress since his body was found.

I just came across this thread. I thought it had been solved. Apparently not. The case is not included in the VA Cold Case Database. Apparently, there doesn't appear to be much progress since his body was found.
It's my understanding that there were people of interest so to speak, but there is something holding this back. In my opinion something about his pending court case at the time and the alleged circumstances might have lead to a retaliation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackparsley
Back