Identified! CO - Lake Co., WhtMale 2530UMCO, 18-30, Hwy 82, covered by rockfall, Jun'70 - Gardner Paul Smith

Good eye!
The link on this thread is broken. I clicked the one on Marvin's WS page and it brought me to his page. His NamUs is still up and active. My apologies

Edit
The link in this thread that is attributed to Marvin's NamUs must actually be for a separate case. The ID # is completely different than Marvin's

Published Nov 18, 2020
John Doe resurfaces

The Herald Democrat of that time quoted the Lake County Sheriff’s Office in saying the body appeared to be that of a person in his early 20s, 5’7” to 5’8” in height. The entire left arm and rib cage of the body was missing. Months later the missing body parts were found in the vicinity by a highway maintenance man.

John Doe had expensive dental work, with gold and platinum fillings. He had dark hair and was dressed in a tattered sweatshirt and grey trousers. He wore three pairs of socks with an unworn sock over the left shoe. In his pockets were $7 and a razor. Searches failed to turn up any identification in the area.

Although there was some investigation of missing persons at the time, none turned out to be the Independence Pass John Doe. Eventually he was buried in the Evergreen Cemetery with a metal marker saying “Unidentified Male, May 1970.” (Although he was found in June, it seems that someone figured he actually died in May.)
---
In fall 2013, the body was disinterred under Kent’s direction. A fingerprint and some DNA was obtained.
---
The Herald mentioned Independence Pass John Doe again in 2017 when Pettem published her book, “The Long Term Missing,” which includes a section on him. At the time, the coroner said he planned to bury the body that spring.

Since that time, I haven’t thought much about John Doe, believing he was back in Evergreen Cemetery where he could be found if a family member ever shows up. This changed recently when I was reviewing the police report about the sheriff’s office executing a search warrant at the Bailey Kent Funeral Home on Oct. 2. The report referenced finding a coffin, sealed shut, with dirt on it from a disinterment in 2013. One of the photos accompanying the report showed a coffin labeled Mr. John Doe — Disinter — 10-8-13.

Although my recent inquiry to the coroner went unanswered, it seems possible that that coffin contains the Independence Pass John Doe, and he never made it back to the cemetery.

John Doe resurfaces
They obtained a fingerprint 43 years after his skeletal remains were recovered?

The link on this thread is broken. I clicked the one on Marvin's WS page and it brought me to his page. His NamUs is still up and active. My apologies

Edit
The link in this thread that is attributed to Marvin's NamUs must actually be for a separate case. The ID # is completely different than Marvin's
darn it!
Marvin's actual NamUs link:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993