Found Deceased Australia - Melissa Caddick Missing After Australian SIC Raid - Sydney (NSW) - Nov 2020 #9

The cause and manner of the presumed death of swindler Melissa Caddick may forever remain a mystery, according to a supplementary autopsy report tendered on the final day of a coronial inquiry, the findings of which will be delivered in April.

. . .

Much of the three-week inquest, which has run intermittently since it began last September, has focused on flaws in the initial police investigation and the erratic behaviour of Caddick’s husband, hairdresser Anthony Koletti, who didn’t report his wife missing for 30 hours.

. . .

Counsel assisting the coroner, Jason Downing, SC, said that, in the months before she disappeared, Caddick was under severe financial stress. As she walked along cliffs near her Dover Heights home, she told a friend: “If I am going to end it, it is going to be here.”

There is also a new article in the Daily Telegraph

Paraphrased

The forensic report, which was tendered during the final day of the inquest on Friday, said Ms Caddick’s foot had several fractures.

The report, was tendered by forensic pathologist Jennifer Pokorny, and said that given the limited evidence, it could not be determined how Ms Caddick suffered the injuries.

Dr Pokorny added that Ms Caddick’s cause of death also could not be determined.

Counsel assisting the coroner, Jason Downing, SC, said that, in the months before she disappeared, Caddick was under severe financial stress.
How??? is it possible with that much money, albeit belonging to others, that she was under severe financial distress???? I seriously doubt she even knew the meaning of the phrase..

Unless she knew they were coming for her, and was trying to recoup her extravagant lifestyle??? An impossible task …

JMO

How??? is it possible with that much money, albeit belonging to others, that she was under severe financial distress???? I seriously doubt she even knew the meaning of the phrase..

Unless she knew they were coming for her, and was trying to recoup her extravagant lifestyle??? An impossible task …

JMO

During the inquest, she is reported as saying that she'd end it all at Dover Heights cliff, so there must have been something bugging her. (Heaven forbid that it may have been a new found conscience!)

IIRC, it may have been mentioned in the Liar, Liar podcast series that she was facing some crisis of her own making. Too much to go back over, unless there are transcripts available online.

Also again IIRC, it was said that the work involved in credibly 'managing' a bunch of bogus share portfolios was becoming quite onerous given the crude way that she was doing that. So, perhaps any distress was due to trying to keep all of the balls in the air at the same time, so to speak.

Investors who were left out of pocket by Melissa Caddick have appointed a representative and barrister to contest the alleged fraudster's parents in a court battle over a Sydney property.

. . .

Justice Brigitte Markovic gave the parties until late April to exchange written submissions in support of their respective positions about the Edgecliff property.

"The Herald can reveal that with the sale of her jewellery and property the current estate is now worth $7 million. The ongoing legal matters and the complicated unravelling of Caddick’s affairs have already drained $2 million from the asset pool."

IMO, at this rate the defrauded investors will be getting cents in the dollar, if anything.

. . .

Prominent barrister Nicholas Owens, SC, made a surprise appearance in the Federal Court on Wednesday, representing 54 out of the 55 investors, some of them close relatives and former friends of Caddick’s parents. The remaining investor was uncontactable, the court heard.

Last year the Grimleys’ barrister Robert Newlinds, SC, challenged the group of investors to bring on the battle with his clients. “If someone wants to contest my clients’ propriety claim, I’ll say it openly, they should bring it forward,” he said.

Noting that “Mr Newlinds has been clamouring for a long time” for someone to come forward, Owens, who has been representing Nine newspapers in the Ben Roberts-Smith defamation case, announced that “my client seeks to fulfil that role... as a representative for all the out-of-pocket investors”.

Bring it on Newlinds says. Looks like he's now getting what he asked for!

. . .

"The mortgage of $1.8 million and the strata fees have not been paid since Caddick’s disappearance. The Grimleys are seeking that the mortgage be paid out using some of the proceeds from the $9.8 million sale of their daughter’s Dover Heights home."

I say: Good luck with that!

The Grimleys claim they paid their now-deceased daughter almost $1.2 million as partial payment for the apartment's purchase on the condition they would live there rent-free until they died.
Instead, they will be united against Mr and Mrs Grimley, opposing their bid to have funds from sale of a $10 million mansion in Dover Heights used to pay off the mortgage over the Edgecliff property as well as the couple's claim for priority interest in this apartment.

The Grimleys claim they paid their now-deceased daughter almost $1.2 million as partial payment for the apartment's purchase on the condition they would live there rent-free until they died.
Instead, they will be united against Mr and Mrs Grimley, opposing their bid to have funds from sale of a $10 million mansion in Dover Heights used to pay off the mortgage over the Edgecliff property as well as the couple's claim for priority interest in this apartment.

So, the Grimley's don't only want to retain their apartment (and make any future mortgage payments themselves), they also want the investors money to pay off the mortgage on the apartment.

A previous article (from July 2022) says that their apartment is worth $2.25 million.
Today's SMH article says that $1.8M is still to be paid on the mortgage.

Last edited:
So, the Grimley's don't only want to retain their apartment (and make any future mortgage payments themselves), they also want the investors money to pay off the mortgage on the apartment.

A previous article (from July 2022) says that their apartment is worth $2.25 million.
Today's SMH article says that $1.8M is still to be paid on the mortgage.
To think I felt sorry for the Grimleys. Yeah nah not nice.

…..on the condition they would live there rent-free until they died.

The couple struck an agreement with their daughter that the apartment would be in her name and that her parents would live there rent-free for the rest of their lives. They would give her $1 million from the sale of their Connells Point home to reduce the mortgage. This would give them a 37.37 per cent ownership of the apartment.

However, as previously revealed by the Herald, the Grimleys’ money was squandered by their daughter on a $590,000 diamond ring, private jets in Aspen and other lifestyle expenses.

Even though her parents have agreed that their daughter treated their injection of money “dishonestly and fraudulently,” the couple maintain they kept their side of the agreement they made with her and that this should give them priority when it comes to dealing with the Edgecliff apartment.

If the judge accepts that the Grimleys have 37.37% ownership of the apartment - through a verbal deal with Melissa - and if the apartment then sold for $2.25M or more, then the Grimleys would have $840,825 (less expenses) to buy another house/apartment to live in - in a cheaper suburb or town.

I think the Grimleys have invested their 'Super" in Melissa, just like the other investors. I hate to see anyone lose their home, but they might need to downscale.

Maybe that sounds too simplistic.

To think I felt sorry for the Grimleys. Yeah nah not nice.

…..on the condition they would live there rent-free until they died.
I cheerfully admit that this aspect of The Crime, the missing millions, the jewels, the school fees, the ditz husband, the cars, the dogs ( the dogs!!), all fade for me, and only this element has legs... the Grimleys ( how apt!) V the poor bloody ningnongs who were sucked in by Melissa.

Mainly because the Grimleys, out of everyone else including Mr DItz have now, and always had the dreary experience of Melissa from way, way back. She arranged to have them robbed when she was a young debutante. They , out of everyone else should have had any business arrangement carved in stone, even the brother who lived his sunny days basting in the salty breeze of Double Bay and Watsons Bay etc, believing he was a part owner of a ski lodge in Aspen.

Of course, he was no such of a thing. THEY had experience of Melissa's humbug.

This particular goatroping of highly paid K C's, and Prada garbed hangers on arriving in court to hear the horror of real money evaporating , something that Sydney folks have a spectacular talent for, to actually see the dollar bills wafting from one bank account to another in real time, with the added frisson of a ridiculous claim the Grimleys are playing out to the very tiniest end, in the hopes that some judge will upend all commonsense and see things their way is terrific entertainment for those so bent ... which, I am sorry to say, I am.

I do want to see this matter dealt with as swiftly and as cleanly, like a surgical operation, with the Grimley's calling up the local supermarket for empty boxes to shift their stuff.

Last edited:
If the judge accepts that the Grimleys have 37.37% ownership of the apartment - through a verbal deal with Melissa - and if the apartment then sold for $2.25M or more, then the Grimleys would have $840,825 (less expenses) to buy another house/apartment to live in - in a cheaper suburb or town.

I think the Grimleys have invested their 'Super" in Melissa, just like the other investors. I hate to see anyone lose their home, but they might need to downscale.

Maybe that sounds too simplistic.
I am almost positive that any Sydney Judge will see it exactly like that, SA. They obviously have not one skerrick of paper with a legible signature on it that says anything at all like what the Grimleys are claiming, otherwise it would have been dealt with way back when the whole hideous mess was in the Hands of the Receiver. And that would have been much cheaper for the Grims, also. This way means every one gets less, and the judge will take that into account and may even make the Grims pay the costs of the 'investors'... a not unlikely outcome and one I pray for, not being mother theresa, merely a Sydney onlooker.

Real Estate is a Religion in SYdney, and the Grims have tried on a strange kind of dive with twist and pike, a property claimed with no papers, and a dodgy criminal mortgage, and that isn't something that the NSW Judicial chaps look upon with any favour. Everyone will try it on if they get away with it.

I imagine  somebody encouraged the G's to fight to stay in their "home", and managed to get Baker McKenzie to work pro bono for them, and now this is the end result, a court battle with the people conned by their daughter.

I don't think they will win, so it is all for nought. They might have been better off just moved out and got a reasonable place elsewhere, while it was still manageable at their age and could start over.

I suspect it will prove to be a gross miscalculation. MOO..

'''

'''Prominent barrister Nicholas Owens, SC, made a surprise appearance in the Federal Court on Wednesday, representing 54 out of the 55 investors, some of them close relatives and former friends of Caddick’s parents. The remaining investor was uncontactable, the court heard.

Justice Brigitte Markovic heard that the group, to be represented by “Investor A,” is contesting the Grimleys’ claim that they should get preferential treatment and will share equally whatever funds the receivers of Caddick’s estate are able to realise.

Last year the Grimleys’ barrister Robert Newlinds, SC, challenged the group of investors to bring on the battle with his clients. “If someone wants to contest my clients’ propriety claim, I’ll say it openly, they should bring it forward,” he said.

Noting that “Mr Newlinds has been clamouring for a long time” for someone to come forward, Owens, who has been representing Nine newspapers in the Ben Roberts-Smith defamation case, announced that “my client seeks to fulfil that role... as a representative for all the out-of-pocket investors”.

( Such a Sydney way to operate. A showdown between 2 barristers, gladiators of the Bar, etc.. My money, small as it is , is on Nicolas Owens, to win by a bees dick, but a win is a win, and it may be the only win these investors will ever get. In another article, some reporter is predicting the investors will get about 30 cents in the dollar... which is 27 cents more than I predicted way back last year. Anything upwards of that will be a surprise. 30 cents sounds optimistic to me, but who knows. .... God , ( and Nicolas ) only knows what his fees are. A bit more than 30 in the dollar, I would expect. ..but no one really wants to see Barb and Ted collect the pool of money before anyone else, and if it costs a lot, then that's how it plays. Hi Jinks up and down Castlereagh St.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back