SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton *Guilty* #41

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHARLESTON, S.C. (CN) — A co-defendant of disgraced South Carolina attorney Alex Murdaugh faces new charges of embezzling public money and identity fraud, according to jail records.

Jerry Rivers was quietly booked Jan. 17 into the Richland County jail on the eve of his alleged co-conspirator’s double murder trial for the slayings of his wife and son.

Rivers, 40, was being jailed on an 11-count indictment, the jail's website shows. He faces two counts of obtaining property under false pretenses, three counts of insurance fraud, five counts of embezzling public funds and identity theft.

It was not clear if a detention hearing has already been held for Rivers. His defense attorney, Rose Mary Parham, did not respond to requests for comment. Robert Kittle, a spokesman for the South Carolina Attorney General’s Office, said his office would not comment on the active investigation.

Rivers was previously arrested on allegations he obstructed state authorities as they pursued Murdaugh’s money trail.

[…]

Waters said Rivers and Roberts were “downstream” beneficiaries of more than $8 million dollars Murdaugh admitted to stealing from former clients of his family’s law firm before the murders on June 7, 2021, at the family's hunting estate.

In 2021 alone, Murdaugh wrote almost $90,000 in checks to Rivers, the prosecutor said.

[…]
It's pretty hard not to judge all these individuals connected to AM.

My DH flipped several houses. All the deeds had $5.00. This prevents public/purchaser from know the previous amount.

We DID have to list the purchase and sale price in our Federal/State returns. We DID pay capital gains on our taxes. We did pay personal property tax on the assess value. All the fees associated with the sale were on the actual purchase price.

We also did this for vehicles we sold.
Moo....

Consideration could be anything of value, and the recitation of consideration in the deed may not correspond to the actual consideration paid for the property. There are common choices for reciting consideration in the real estate transfer context:

• Nominal ConsiderationMost deeds recite nominal consideration (e.g., “the sum of $10.00”). This keeps the actual consideration private and is common practice in most states.
  • Actual Consideration – Actual consideration is sometimes used if the parties want to publicly document the purchase price paid for the property. But because most states do not require that the actual consideration be listed, most deeds recite nominal consideration instead of actual consideration.
  • Gift – If the property is a gift, there is no consideration. A Gift Deed may state that the property is being transferred “for love and affection” or something similar. In states with documentary transfer taxes based on the amount of consideration (including Florida and California), specifying that the property was a gift can save transfer taxes.
  • Capital Contribution – If property is being transferred to a business, the consideration received in exchange for the interest is often capital in the company. For example, a transferor might receive 1,000 shares of stock in exchange for the real estate being transferred to the company.
The actual amounts involved in property transfers are easily and publicly available in both NC and SC, so it's possible that the purpose of using a nominal amount in the contract was for the sake of privacy, but it doesn't really serve that function anymore.

This has always bothered me immensely.

Why are you feeling for a pulse, allegedly, when you see brains shot into the floor?

I suppose that an innocent person, in a state of shock, MIGHT do this anyway if they’re in denial and cannot believe that their loved ones are actually dead, despite the brains on the floor and however much Maggie was bleeding out. It’s remotely possible.

For Alec Murdaugh, no. It’s too much of a set piece. All of his actions immediately before and after the murders were always very suspect.

I’m still relishing the fact that such a superlative judge received this case on his docket.

All JMO

Me, too. I always felt there was no way that he saw what he saw and would ever have to ask if they were dead. Additionally, if he had no idea what he was walking into, then seeing his two loved ones, I can't see that he would go and touch them. I have seen car accident fatalities (of people I did not know) and it was traumatic beyond all get out. So, for him to say that he saw their brains and tried to turn them over is absolute BS. And, then ask again if they were alive....nope, it would not happen. He was acting it all the way through (badly).

It's overwhelming trying to unravel all of AM's financial transactions and we don't even know all of it. It's disgusting that he was able to skate by for as long as he did. I sure hope everyone who looked the other way has taken the time to evaluate their decisions.

It's overwhelming trying to unravel all of AM's financial transactions and we don't even know all of it. It's disgusting that he was able to skate by for as long as he did. I sure hope everyone who looked the other way has taken the time to evaluate their decisions.
I think there are a lot of people in that area that are nervous tonight....so many helped him or knew things. So much corruption and so many shady deals.

I really don't understand the innuendos that persist about the death of Stephen Smith. He was a high school friend of AM's son. There is nothing that ties AM to the death of Stephen Smith. Except a bunch of unfounded rumors.
"June 23, 2021, SLED announced they were opening their own investigation into Stephen Smith’s death based on information gathered in the Murdaugh investigation."

----

Not really rumor that they seem to have found some connection.

I really don't understand the innuendos that persist about the death of Stephen Smith. He was a high school friend of AM's son. There is nothing that ties AM to the death of Stephen Smith. Except a bunch of unfounded rumors.

I think the rumors are interesting. PM's former girlfriend had some things to say about the M family's reaction in the Netflix doc.

Since it was reported that there was no evidence of a hit and run besides SS's body in the road. I am interested why the search of the M property has garnered SLED interest.

Last edited:
"June 23, 2021, SLED announced they were opening their own investigation into Stephen Smith’s death based on information gathered in the Murdaugh investigation."

----

Not really rumor that they seem to have found some connection.

Okay, they "opened" an investigation based on "something" they found. Nothing was released. No further information.

<modsnip>I am not a fan of AM, but it appears flimsy to me. Otherwise, something would have been released.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, they "opened" an investigation based on "something" they found. Nothing was released. No further information.

<modsnip>I am not a fan of AM, but it appears flimsy to me. Otherwise, something would have been released.
Yet... We shall see. High possible they haven't finished the investigation and why would they release any information during an investigation. Also, possibly releasing any information during a high profile trial could be accused of trying to influence a jury pool. I think something will become of this in due time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yet... We shall see. High possible they haven't finished the investigation and why would they release any information during an investigation. Also, possibly releasing any information during a high profile trial could be accused of trying to influence a jury pool. I think something will become of this in due time.

Baseball gear or communications on a computer/paper/social media would be my guess. If there is any M family involvement, I hope it is charged. Too much unexplained M family involvement (RM calling on the family, according to Smith family) and LE feeling frustrated because the investigation was seemingly not being done properly as the outstanding curiosities.

Stephen Smith's car was found not far from the Moselle property - out'n the middle of nowhere. His body was found in the middle of the road - something like 2 miles from his car. He was wearing his shoes.

"A 2015 article by Live 5 News reported that the Hampton County coroner had “confirmed that a dead body was found after a hit-and-run in the Sandy Run Road area of Hampton County.”​

Five Facts with heavy.com

Sandy Run Road, Mozelle and Stephen Smith's body - see Map

It leaves me with questions about why Stephen Smith was secretive about his new friend. He told his family about deep sea fishing with his new friend. He was a school mate of Buster. Stephen was openly gay.

Does anyone know where his car was found? If the car was found between Moselle and the body, I might think Murdaugh. If Stephen's car was found towards Hampton, I would think twice.

Attachments

• 1678422893903.png
    1678422893903.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • 1678423571360.png
    1678423571360.png
    586.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 1678424597341.png
    1678424597341.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
Status
Not open for further replies.