TX TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #48

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think an interesting difference between theories is between those who interpret SP's behaviour as though he/she is oblivious to the camera, and those who think SP was dressed and acting specifically for the camera.

So the youtuber keeps asking "why would they wear that costume?", and I kept replying "maybe to disguise themselves for the cameras?" But the youtuber never considers that possibility.

So perhaps this is a key point: are criminals now more self-conscious because of cameras? Might they dress and act a part for the benefit of the cameras, or are they oblivious beyond a putting on a mask? Specifically, was SP aware of the cameras or not? How would it make a difference to SP, in planning or carrying out the crime (whatever crime they were committing).

Is it just coincidence that a burglar/vandal at the church that early morning, chose to wear a remarkable, outlandish costume that completely disguised even their gender? I think that's the perspective that promotes the targetted theory.

Unfortunately, the fact that the perp was costumed - or how, or to what degree - can't objectively tell us anything about what crime he intended to do. All it tells us for sure is that the perp didn't want to get caught and arrested, so made an effort to try to conceal his identity.

But no matter why he was there, he was breaking into a church illegally, a crime for which he would be imprisoned if caught. And that gave him ample motivation to do what he could to stay uncaught. Was he was there for a robbing, or a shooting? The costume doesn't say which, but only that he didn't want anyone to know who he was.

I think an interesting difference between theories is between those who interpret SP's behaviour as though he/she is oblivious to the camera, and those who think SP was dressed and acting specifically for the camera.

So the youtuber keeps asking "why would they wear that costume?", and I kept replying "maybe to disguise themselves for the cameras?" But the youtuber never considers that possibility.

So perhaps this is a key point: are criminals now more self-conscious because of cameras? Might they dress and act a part for the benefit of the cameras, or are they oblivious beyond a putting on a mask? Specifically, was SP aware of the cameras or not? How would it make a difference to SP, in planning or carrying out the crime (whatever crime they were committing).

Is it just coincidence that a burglar/vandal at the church that early morning, chose to wear a remarkable, outlandish costume that completely disguised even their gender? I think that's the perspective that promotes the targetted theory.
I should point out that the person you're referring to as a youtuber is a nationally known cold case detective who founded The American Investigative Society of Cold Cases (AISOCC), so he isn't an amateur.

Unfortunately, the fact that the perp was costumed - or how, or to what degree - can't objectively tell us anything about what crime he intended to do. All it tells us for sure is that the perp didn't want to get caught and arrested, so made an effort to try to conceal his identity.

But no matter why he was there, he was breaking into a church illegally, a crime for which he would be imprisoned if caught. And that gave him ample motivation to do what he could to stay uncaught. Was he was there for a robbing, or a shooting? The costume doesn't say which, but only that he didn't want anyone to know who he was.
Yes I agree the attire was to conceal their identity but I also had the thought they planned the attack and picked this specific swat attire for self protection in case she fought back.
Missy was in great shape and this perp might not have been. The perp might have been a bit fearful Missy would get upper hand and overpower them.
JMO, only speculating, Could be wrong.

After watching some church burglary videos, I am more open to the possibility that this could have been a burglary gone bad that Missy Bevers walked into. No one really knows whether this was targeted or not, but there would be a way to come to a better conclusion about it.

What is sort of surprising is that in the church there are signs pointing to where the church offices are located. Yet the burglar seems to try to check every door and does not go directly to the office where the money would probably be located.

In the surveillance video of Creekside Church, there is a point where the burglar stops and takes out a crowbar along with a hammer pick to try to get into a door. When I saw a church burglary video from Philadelphia from a few months ago, a burglar used the same tools to break into the church safe to steal money. These are tools that burglars use.

I think that if in the church office at Creekside, there are scratch marks on the safe from where the burglar tried to get into the safe, then I would be more inclined to believe this was a burglary gone bad even if breaking into the safe could be staged too.

But if there are no scratch marks on the safe or whatever place they kept the money at Creekside Church, I would definitely be more inclined to believe this was a targeted murder. Why would the burglar use the crowbar and hammer pick on a door inside the church, but not try to open the safe (or whatever location had the money) within the church office? Maybe because they are not on surveillance video when they are in the office?

Did the safe or money location within the church look like a burglar tried to use a crowbar and hammer to break in? There would be scratch marks and other evidence of this. What is the answer? Only police know. Here is the video of the Philadelphia church burglary:

After watching some church burglary videos, I am more open to the possibility that this could have been a burglary gone bad that Missy Bevers walked into. No one really knows whether this was targeted or not, but there would be a way to come to a better conclusion about it.

What is sort of surprising is that in the church there are signs pointing to where the church offices are located. Yet the burglar seems to try to check every door and does not go directly to the office where the money would probably be located.

In the surveillance video of Creekside Church, there is a point where the burglar stops and takes out a crowbar along with a hammer pick to try to get into a door. When I saw a church burglary video from Philadelphia from a few months ago, a burglar used the same tools to break into the church safe to steal money. These are tools that burglars use.

I think that if in the church office at Creekside, there are scratch marks on the safe from where the burglar tried to get into the safe, then I would be more inclined to believe this was a burglary gone bad even if breaking into the safe could be staged too.

But if there are no scratch marks on the safe or whatever place they kept the money at Creekside Church, I would definitely be more inclined to believe this was a targeted murder. Why would the burglar use the crowbar and hammer pick on a door inside the church, but not try to open the safe (or whatever location had the money) within the church office? Maybe because they are not on surveillance video when they are in the office?

Did the safe or money location within the church look like a burglar tried to use a crowbar and hammer to break in? There would be scratch marks and other evidence of this. What is the answer? Only police know. Here is the video of the Philadelphia church burglary:

Not easy to determine. But if it was a planned burglary, wouldn’t one expect to have a backpack or some other item into which to place items stolen? I don’t recall that the perpetrator had any such item with them? Weren’t they only carrying a ‘billy’ club, stick, rod, or metal object? And then being fully ‘secreted’ in their ‘uniform’ or ‘costume’. So if they planned to take valuables, where would they be put upon planned exit? It appears they are only wearing also a bullet proof vest?

And weren’t they somewhat walking around casually looking about with some purpose? And in no particular rush?

Perhaps it was some intruder practicing for a bigger or better job, and then was happened on by the victim? Or maybe it was a full time security person from some other location, ‘practicing‘ their skills? That walking….. sure appears to mirror a conventional security type ‘rover‘ who frequently is monitoring buildings or facilities on off or closed hours?

On balance, though it would seem to be a targeted attack. IMO.

Thanks for finding and posting that footage, I've long wished I could compare SP with other church burglary videos.

I notice a difference in time period: midnight (so perp would have slept afterwards), vs SP at 4 am. To me it suggests SP slept beforehand, rather than stayed up that late, doing what? Unless this was a plan hatched while on drugs.

The recent video reinforces for me SP's lack of purposefulness: the burglar was in and out with potentially a large amount of cash in 15 minutes. Every action is purposeful (eg closing the window blind, turning immediately to the safe, not looking at papers, etc.

Focus on the office: IIRC, the offices at Creekside are down the hall from where SP opened the dutch door, so that part has been cut out by police. What level of interest SP showed in even getting into the locked offices is probably very revealing.

JMO

Is it possible the perp was ontent on burglary, wasn't anticipating Missy but was anticipating stealing the collection money and decided to lie/wander in wait until the first employee arrived and force them to unlock the office, unlock whatever safe there might be?

just a thought

JMO

Not easy to determine. But if it was a planned burglary, wouldn’t one expect to have a backpack or some other item into which to place items stolen? I don’t recall that the perpetrator had any such item with them? Weren’t they only carrying a ‘billy’ club, stick, rod, or metal object? And then being fully ‘secreted’ in their ‘uniform’ or ‘costume’. So if they planned to take valuables, where would they be put upon planned exit? It appears they are only wearing also a bullet proof vest?

And weren’t they somewhat walking around casually looking about with some purpose? And in no particular rush?
Interesting. Regarding why perp has no backpack, it's hard to know but I've always wondered about the time they spent in the kitchen upon initial entry. It was raining hard and perp is seemingly dry. I've wondered if they found food, took off wet jacket, possibly put down a bag, rested perhaps in the kitchen.
In that scenario the perp is assuming nobody's there overnight so not worried about time or getting caught.

Last edited:
For all we know, there were lots of supplies that came in the door with perp, and were placed in the kitchen as he strolled. A backpack is one possibility. So is a covering (whether overcoat, or poncho, or the like). And perhaps multiple tools the perp thought he might need once inside. At any point his plans may have included going to the kitchen to get tools or to drop off "loot" to put in the backpack (or that might have been the plan). If that was the idea, on his way out, it was all grab-and-go.

Unfortunately, with the limitations of the cameras, our info is quite sparse. As far as we know, no cams in any place but the halls, and only in halls at 2 corners of the building. There could have been tons of movement into and out of rooms, or within rooms. We the public only have 2 minutes of video, while perp was in the building at least 30 minutes (and even longer, if he was in kitchen for an extended time before he first entered one of the halls). LE has more video and obviously knows more - but how much they have, and what more they have learned, we don't know. You just don't know what you don't know.

There's got to be a more recent article? What about an article from last year. Please post if anyone is able to locate it. It's safe to say this is a cold case, imo. Hope I am wrong. Justice for Missy and her family.

Additionally, did LE ever connect the driver of the Nissan Altima to being Missy's killer? TIA

"Sometimes it seems like we are being silent and that silence cannot be mistaken for a lack of activity," said Midlothian PD Chief Carl Smith.

Smith is working to reassure the community the Bevers murder investigation is anything but a cold case nearly five years since her death.

Hmm, one should develop film capability to detect an area of heat or air to determine if assailant had *advertiser censored* or not. Although, some overweight men do sometimes have extra tissue in that area that may or may not also be picked up on a scan... just an idea

Thanks for finding and posting that footage, I've long wished I could compare SP with other church burglary videos.

I notice a difference in time period: midnight (so perp would have slept afterwards), vs SP at 4 am. To me it suggests SP slept beforehand, rather than stayed up that late, doing what? Unless this was a plan hatched while on drugs.

The recent video reinforces for me SP's lack of purposefulness: the burglar was in and out with potentially a large amount of cash in 15 minutes. Every action is purposeful (eg closing the window blind, turning immediately to the safe, not looking at papers, etc.

Focus on the office: IIRC, the offices at Creekside are down the hall from where SP opened the dutch door, so that part has been cut out by police. What level of interest SP showed in even getting into the locked offices is probably very revealing.

JMO

There are a lot of strange things about SP. Did SP wear that police costume to the Creekside Church burglary? I think it would be difficult to change into those clothes inside of a car.

I did not even know you could open a safe using only a crowbar and hammer until I saw the video of the Philadelphia church burglary. SP must think like a burglar.

If the Creekside church offices were locked, then maybe SP could not get to the safe at Creekside? I think it is a little strange that SP could not use the crowbar and hammer to get into a door on video when the burglar in Philadelphia could get into a safe.

Both burglars wore gloves. DId the burglar at Creekside take Missy Bever's wedding ring?

I do not know what to think about this case anymore. It could be a random burglary as much as it could be a targeted murder by someone who wanted to make a murder look like a burglary. The main difference I see between the Creekside church video and the Philadelphia church video is that the burglar in Philadelphia seems to know exactly where to go to get the money while the burglar at Creekside Church wonders around checking every room like they do not know what they are looking for or where it is located.

Did the burglar at Creekside take Missy Bever's wedding ring?
I can answer this at least - no, her ring wasn't taken.

The main difference I see between the Creekside church video and the Philadelphia church video is that the burglar in Philadelphia seems to know exactly where to go to get the money while the burglar at Creekside Church wonders around checking every room like they do not know what they are looking for or where it is located.
Did they ever catch the burglar in Philadelphia? It certainly looks like that burglar was very familiar with that church. The burglar at Creekside appears not to have been familiar with the church, IMO.

I can answer this at least - no, her ring wasn't taken.

An interrupted burglar who had just committed an unplanned murder would have to be pretty stupid to take the one thing that would be guaranteed to connect him to murder and send him straight to death row.

At one point in the video he has something white in his hand—as if he had found one thing worth stealing. Whatever that was, I'm guessing that he abandoned it at the scene. The risk of something from the church connecting him to the murder would have far outweighed the monetary value of anything (except for cash, perhaps, but I don't think that he ever found the Sunday offerings—if he had, he would have been out of there already, IMO).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88