Found Alive OH - Kason & Kyair Thomass - 5-Month-Old Twins - In Stolen Vehicle - *Nalah Jackson Arrested* - Columbus

Very timely article that in 2020 the rate of SUIDS increased in black babies.

A study published Monday in the journal Pediatrics found that the rate for Black babies spiked in particular, widening an already stark disparity.

About 1 out of every 6 infant deaths were considered sudden unexpected infant deaths, or SUIDs, a broad classification of deaths that includes sudden infant death syndrome, known as SIDS, along with accidental suffocation and strangulation in bed and other unknown causes.

While the SUID rate for White babies dropped to the lowest it has been since 2017, the rate for Black babies in 2020 was the highest it has been since then. Rates that were already about two times higher for Black babies in 2017 grew to nearly three times higher in 2020, the study found.
<snip>

In a commentary responding to the research, physicians said that the high rates of sudden unexpected infant deaths in the United States – and growing disparities – “reflect our societal failures.”

Socioeconomic disparities “not only result in limited access to health care and education, but also in many families not having a stable, safe place for their infants to sleep,” they wrote.
<snip>

“Funding to adequately assess and support changes required to address root causes of adverse health and inequitable societal conditions and systems that disproportionately impact Black and Indigenous communities is essential, focusing on community-led efforts that may increase protective factors and reduce risk,” said Sabra Anckner, associate director for clinical and community collaboration at the Association of Maternal and Child Health Programs, who wasn’t involved in the new study.
<snip>

Experts agree that continued education and community support to reinforce safe sleep practices is key, and time spent in the hospital post-partum is a critical opportunity.

According to the CDC, almost half of new parents were not provided with information about unsafe sleeping practices or were given incorrect information.

Also, I don't think that Ky'air's father lived in the same house as Ky'air's mother. I think she was parenting alone in the home at most times. Just my sense from reading all the various articles in MSM since the time of the kidnapping to the time of Ky'air's death.
I'm not sure about other hospitals but at the hospital where I worked we provided a discussion between RN, (this would include mother, father or partner) written information in the form of a pamphlet and also a video that the RN's in the postpartum unit would show the mother (and father or partner) on the room TV's about safe sleeping practices.

I'm not sure about other hospitals but at the hospital where I worked we provided a discussion between RN, (this would include mother, father or partner) written information in the form of a pamphlet and also a video that the RN's in the postpartum unit would show the mother (and father or partner) on the room TV's about safe sleeping practices.

Hasn't there also been some success with programs for visiting nurses to follow up in the homes of these new moms to make sure they have the help they need, especially a single mom with twins? Its a shame we don't have that here in the US.

This is a mother who was working hard as a delivery driver with an old, second hand car, living in a high crime area in the inner city, and raising twin infants alone and doing her best from day to day. There is no evidence to the contrary.
Where did I claim that mom didn't work, was driving a new car, lived in a low crime area out in the countryside, and wasn't the single mother of two infants? The topic became about SUID and safe sleeping arrangements for infants and whether or not the information is out there in general.

Are you suggesting that wealthy people in small towns with low crime rates who work from home or are stay at home parents and drive brand new cars aren't also doing the best that they can? Or that SUIDS or unsafe sleeping practices doesn't happen to their children, or that they are more culpable if it does?

The information is out there. It's at the hospital, it's at the OBGYNs office, it's at the pediatricians office. It's online.

Clearly, everyone either doesn't seek out the information, is given the information but doesn't read it, or does read/seek out the info but forgets it, doesn't understand it or doesnt take it seriously enough to put it into practice.

Do I feel badly for all parents when this happens? Absolutely, yes. Do I think parents do this purposefully, knowing what the outcome would be? Absolutely not. Is it the parents fault or responsibility? Yes. Hard as that may be to accept or even acknowledge. But, that's also one of the main ways we learn from it. Cautionary tales of other parents' mistakes and heartbreaks, sadly.

I'm not sure about other hospitals but at the hospital where I worked we provided a discussion, written information in the form of a pamphlet and also a video that the RN's in the postpartum unit would show the mother (and father or partner) on the room TV's about safe sleeping practices.
Law: Ohio launched a safe sleep awareness program back in 2014, and every maternity hospital in the state has signed on in agreement to both model safe sleep practices in the hospital, as well as to provide education and materials on safe sleep to new parents. As I see it, we can choose to believe A) the hospital where these twins were delivered did not do that; or B) the information was presented, but was not followed.

Anecdotally: I've had 3 babies in Ohio - at 2 different hospitals, though neither in Columbus - in the last few years, and each time we've gone home from the hospital, I have had safe sleep material provided in the following formats: in a lengthy booklet about all sorts of postpartum and newborn care; on its own separate loose sheet of paper; in a full color, trifold pamphlet; verbal directions by the discharging nurse; at each well-visit with the pediatrician; and it's also provided on every piece of baby gear that a baby could possibly sleep in. And our first child was born out of state, so I've always gotten the condensed, non-first-time-mom version of things in Ohio. If you look through the folder of materials the hospital gives you, you would have to TRY to miss information on safe sleep.

Anecdotally: If you take any prenatal classes focused on baby care, they'll cover it. If you read about newborn care literally anywhere online or in books (published within the last several years), they'll cover it. If you are reading anything about nearly anything related to pregnancy, your social media and internet browsers will feature ads for safe sleep protocol amongst other baby products. I am asked at every pediatrician appointment: "do they sleep in your room, or in their own room? In a crib or a bassinet? On their back? Is there anything else in the crib with them?" and I have to imagine that if the answers to those questions vary from what they should be, there should be some follow-up.

Anecdotally: when new parents, at least those that I know, deviate from recommendations provided by established professional groups (e.g., AAP, ACOG, state health departments), it is because they have outdated information flowing to them via their own parents or family members who birthed and cared for their own newborns in a time when safety recommendations were very different from what they are today. Maybe their parents' advice seems easier or more practical to follow, or maybe it's a matter of distrust for medical professionals (and given racial disparities in maternal/fetal healthcare outcomes, this is not unfounded, IMO). I do not envy new parents in that situation, especially with twins and no partner, as it appears here. If you have significant child

Opinion: there is no feasible way one can claim that a new mom today has not been informed of safe sleep practices for infants, unless she has had a completely wild pregnancy (no prenatal care, unassisted home birth, no postnatal follow-up care, no well-visits). I am not at all intending to blame the boys' mother and other caregivers, just laying out how prevalent safe sleep messaging is for new parents today.

Hasn't there also been some success with programs for visiting nurses to follow up in the homes of these new moms to make sure they have the help they need, especially a single mom with twins? Its a shame we don't have that here in the US.
This kind of support and mentoring/teaching would be really helpful for many new mothers. We are learning a lot more these last few years with the major medical emphasis on "Social Determinants of Health" in hospitals and community programs. IMO, we need more community outreach programs that would really help in cases like this.

Last edited:
Anecdotally: when new parents, at least those that I know, deviate from recommendations provided by established professional groups (e.g., AAP, ACOG, state health departments), it is because they have outdated information flowing to them via their own parents or family members who birthed and cared for their own newborns in a time when safety recommendations were very different from what they are today. Maybe their parents' advice seems easier or more practical to follow, or maybe it's a matter of distrust for medical professionals (and given racial disparities in maternal/fetal healthcare outcomes, this is not unfounded, IMO). I do not envy new parents in that situation, especially with twins and no partner, as it appears here.

<snipped for focus>

I think this is an important factor in many situations and communities, and so we need to broaden the information and training provided to all members of the extended household, and not just the nuclear family, especially in situations where extended family/friend caregiving is the norm.

Perhaps it's something nurses aids or LPN's could do but certainly not RN's.
Unfortunately in the U.S. we currently have a nursing shortage. Before I retired three years ago, we were always short staffed. It's one of the reasons I retired early. The work load had just gotten to be too much for me. At times it felt unsafe.
The nursing population is aging and there are too few registered nursing programs in the U.S. to replace the aging population of nurses. New RN's just aren't graduating fast enough to replace those who have retired or simply left the profession to do something else.

Last edited:
This is so sad. I don’t believe there was any intent of course. Must be exhausting having twins. This happened to a very close friend of mine and 2 of her babies were sleeping together and I believe they shouldn’t have been - and that was the cause. I won’t say anything more and I would never say anything to her. She was severely traumatized and I don’t believe anyone ever accused her of anything. It was an accident as I believe this was as well.
This also happened to a friend of mine, She was nursing the baby and her elder child screamed from the bathroom so she put the baby on the bed to run to the other child, just in the next room. When he came back the baby had rolled over and suffocated. The elder child gre up blaming himself and the mother was never the same. It's heartbreaking.

We need to do a better job of providing this information to new parents, as this happens way too frequently, just out of lack of knowledge and understanding.
Very tragic and my heart goes out to Kyair's mother and family.
I think the problem is that even though this stuff is told to parents over and over (it was to me anyway for all five, the nurse would say to me, I know you know this stuff but I have to say it) You then have older relatives saying 'poohy! when you were a baby I... blah blah' and from experience it wears you down but also it can mean that if that older person is doing something with the child, like putting them to bed, they will do it like they did. I'm not blaming any older relative in the case, but its something to consider.

Law: Ohio launched a safe sleep awareness program back in 2014, and every maternity hospital in the state has signed on in agreement to both model safe sleep practices in the hospital, as well as to provide education and materials on safe sleep to new parents. As I see it, we can choose to believe A) the hospital where these twins were delivered did not do that; or B) the information was presented, but was not followed.

Anecdotally: I've had 3 babies in Ohio - at 2 different hospitals, though neither in Columbus - in the last few years, and each time we've gone home from the hospital, I have had safe sleep material provided in the following formats: in a lengthy booklet about all sorts of postpartum and newborn care; on its own separate loose sheet of paper; in a full color, trifold pamphlet; verbal directions by the discharging nurse; at each well-visit with the pediatrician; and it's also provided on every piece of baby gear that a baby could possibly sleep in. And our first child was born out of state, so I've always gotten the condensed, non-first-time-mom version of things in Ohio. If you look through the folder of materials the hospital gives you, you would have to TRY to miss information on safe sleep.

Anecdotally: If you take any prenatal classes focused on baby care, they'll cover it. If you read about newborn care literally anywhere online or in books (published within the last several years), they'll cover it. If you are reading anything about nearly anything related to pregnancy, your social media and internet browsers will feature ads for safe sleep protocol amongst other baby products. I am asked at every pediatrician appointment: "do they sleep in your room, or in their own room? In a crib or a bassinet? On their back? Is there anything else in the crib with them?" and I have to imagine that if the answers to those questions vary from what they should be, there should be some follow-up.

Anecdotally: when new parents, at least those that I know, deviate from recommendations provided by established professional groups (e.g., AAP, ACOG, state health departments), it is because they have outdated information flowing to them via their own parents or family members who birthed and cared for their own newborns in a time when safety recommendations were very different from what they are today. Maybe their parents' advice seems easier or more practical to follow, or maybe it's a matter of distrust for medical professionals (and given racial disparities in maternal/fetal healthcare outcomes, this is not unfounded, IMO). I do not envy new parents in that situation, especially with twins and no partner, as it appears here. If you have significant child

Opinion: there is no feasible way one can claim that a new mom today has not been informed of safe sleep practices for infants, unless she has had a completely wild pregnancy (no prenatal care, unassisted home birth, no postnatal follow-up care, no well-visits). I am not at all intending to blame the boys' mother and other caregivers, just laying out how prevalent safe sleep messaging is for new parents today.
I posted before I read your post. I was saying the same regarding the old school ways and how it is pushed on a new parent as I did this and it was ok.
Just to add from having my first child to having my fifth, the 'rules' changed significantly!

This kind of support and mentoring/teaching would be really helpful for many new mothers. We are learning a lot more these last few years with the major medical emphasis on "Social Determinants of Health" in hospitals and community programs. IMO, we need more community outreach programs that would really help in cases like this.
In the U.K. once a mother has gone home from hospital, the mother and baby will be visited once a day for 10 days by a midwife, to check on mum and the baby and they give all advice on sleeping, feeding etc, on day 10, the health visitor visits with the midwife and the midwife signs off to the health visitor and the HV will pound that safety info into your head, then you see her/him once a week at the well-baby clinic for weighing and development check. I had the same midwife and HV for my first four children and I adored them and would have been lost without them. This was all provided on the NHS.

In the U.K. once a mother has gone home from hospital, the mother and baby will be visited once a day for 10 days by a midwife, to check on mum and the baby and they give all advice on sleeping, feeding etc, on day 10, the health visitor visits with the midwife and the midwife signs off to the health visitor and the HV will pound that safety info into your head, then you see her/him once a week at the well-baby clinic for weighing and development check. I had the same midwife and HV for my first four children and I adored them and would have been lost without them. This was all provided on the NHS.
Yes, it’s difficult to deliver the right support to parents in need without an at home visit. Seeing what kind of equipment, food, furniture, supplies and support system a parent has goes a long way towards preventing infant deaths. It’s just common sense, JMO.
Handing out a brochure and giving a lecture to an overtired, stressed post partum mother in a busy, noisy hospital room isn’t enough for some.

I remember I couldn’t wait to get out of the hospital with my kids. It was not a quiet restful environment and the staff rushed us along, even though I was recovering from a C-section and the boys had jaundice. They gave me a pile of brochures and coupons and rushed us out, while barking about a car seat which we already had. I had always thought working in a maternity ward would be a pleasant job, but apparently it isn’t. Most of the people who worked there were rushed and unpleasant. Doctors were nice, though. It was the same in both hospitals I visited, each in different states - Kansas and Texas.

I still vote for in home visits by midwives, etc. especially for multiple births, single parents. In the end it’s about helping people.

Yes, it’s difficult to deliver the right support to parents in need without an at home visit. Seeing what kind of equipment, food, furniture, supplies and support system a parent has goes a long way towards preventing infant deaths. It’s just common sense, JMO.
Handing out a brochure and giving a lecture to an overtired, stressed post partum mother in a busy, noisy hospital room isn’t enough for some.

I remember I couldn’t wait to get out of the hospital with my kids. It was not a quiet restful environment and the staff rushed us along, even though I was recovering from a C-section and the boys had jaundice. They gave me a pile of brochures and coupons and rushed us out, while barking about a car seat which we already had. I had always thought working in a maternity ward would be a pleasant job, but apparently it isn’t. Most of the people who worked there were rushed and unpleasant. Doctors were nice, though. It was the same in both hospitals I visited, each in different states - Kansas and Texas.

I still vote for in home visits by midwives, etc. especially for multiple births, single parents. In the end it’s about helping people.
It takes a village to raise a child... or two

This also happened to a friend of mine, She was nursing the baby and her elder child screamed from the bathroom so she put the baby on the bed to run to the other child, just in the next room. When he came back the baby had rolled over and suffocated. The elder child gre up blaming himself and the mother was never the same. It's heartbreaking.
That’s very heartbreaking!

Very timely article that in 2020 the rate of SUIDS increased in black babies.

A study published Monday in the journal Pediatrics found that the rate for Black babies spiked in particular, widening an already stark disparity.

About 1 out of every 6 infant deaths were considered sudden unexpected infant deaths, or SUIDs, a broad classification of deaths that includes sudden infant death syndrome, known as SIDS, along with accidental suffocation and strangulation in bed and other unknown causes.

While the SUID rate for White babies dropped to the lowest it has been since 2017, the rate for Black babies in 2020 was the highest it has been since then. Rates that were already about two times higher for Black babies in 2017 grew to nearly three times higher in 2020, the study found.
<snip>

In a commentary responding to the research, physicians said that the high rates of sudden unexpected infant deaths in the United States – and growing disparities – “reflect our societal failures.”

Socioeconomic disparities “not only result in limited access to health care and education, but also in many families not having a stable, safe place for their infants to sleep,” they wrote.
<snip>

“Funding to adequately assess and support changes required to address root causes of adverse health and inequitable societal conditions and systems that disproportionately impact Black and Indigenous communities is essential, focusing on community-led efforts that may increase protective factors and reduce risk,” said Sabra Anckner, associate director for clinical and community collaboration at the Association of Maternal and Child Health Programs, who wasn’t involved in the new study.
<snip>

Experts agree that continued education and community support to reinforce safe sleep practices is key, and time spent in the hospital post-partum is a critical opportunity.
Most charity/resale places no longer accept a lot of baby items due to the potential for safety recalls. It's apparently easier to just not deal with them at all. I know that many moons ago as a college-aged new parent, I totally relied on used and borrowed items.

I never had kids; would a baby his age be capable of rolling themselves over? I know they do that before they crawl, usually.

It sounds like a combination of avoidable factors; let the rest of us learn from them.

RIP, Kyair.
He was 7 months old, right? Depending on if he was on average with developmental milestones, he could have been rolling over, holding his head up while on his tummy, and creeping (army crawling). The fact it was reported he was surrounded by pillows is a reasonable guess he was mobile in some way. JMO

COLUMBUS — New court documents show that the federal trial for a Columbus woman at the center of an AMBER Alert in December has been pushed back.

A federal grand jury indicted Nalah Jackson in January on two counts of kidnapping of a minor.

Jackson was originally said to appear in court for the federal charges on March 20. This date has been pushed back over six months to Oct. 10.

The trial was delayed after the defense requested additional time to investigate “factual allegations” and determine if any pre-trial motions are necessary, as well as “seek mental health records from various locations in multiple states.”

COLUMBUS, Ohio (WSYX) — New court records filed in the high-profile federal abduction case against Columbus suspect Nalah Jackson suggest she may have suffered from post-partum depression or post-partum psychosis when the Thomas twins were taken in December.

"A complete mental health evaluation is essential to develop mitigation and any mental health defense in the case," wrote Jackson's federal public defender in her request for a postponement of the trial last week. "Defense has been working at identifying an expert with specialization in post-partum depression and post-partum psychosis, which counsel believes may be part of Ms. Jackson's mental health diagnosis."

Two weeks before the abductions, Dublin police say, Jackson crashed two stolen cars within minutes of each other near Bridge Park. At that scene, several witnesses were heard telling officers that Jackson had told them she was pregnant on video footage captured from body-worn law enforcement cameras.

According to court records, Jackson gave birth last May to a baby who had tested positive for cocaine. Franklin County Children Services took custody of the infant after that delivery.

The Mayo Clinic indicates both post-partum depression and psychosis can last for weeks and even months. While rare, post-partum psychosis can include symptoms of confusion, obsessive thoughts, hallucinations, paranoia and self-harm.

COLUMBUS — New court documents show that the federal trial for a Columbus woman at the center of an AMBER Alert in December has been pushed back.

A federal grand jury indicted Nalah Jackson in January on two counts of kidnapping of a minor.

Jackson was originally said to appear in court for the federal charges on March 20. This date has been pushed back over six months to Oct. 10.

The trial was delayed after the defense requested additional time to investigate “factual allegations” and determine if any pre-trial motions are necessary, as well as “seek mental health records from various locations in multiple states.”

COLUMBUS, Ohio (WSYX) — New court records filed in the high-profile federal abduction case against Columbus suspect Nalah Jackson suggest she may have suffered from post-partum depression or post-partum psychosis when the Thomas twins were taken in December.

"A complete mental health evaluation is essential to develop mitigation and any mental health defense in the case," wrote Jackson's federal public defender in her request for a postponement of the trial last week. "Defense has been working at identifying an expert with specialization in post-partum depression and post-partum psychosis, which counsel believes may be part of Ms. Jackson's mental health diagnosis."

Two weeks before the abductions, Dublin police say, Jackson crashed two stolen cars within minutes of each other near Bridge Park. At that scene, several witnesses were heard telling officers that Jackson had told them she was pregnant on video footage captured from body-worn law enforcement cameras.

According to court records, Jackson gave birth last May to a baby who had tested positive for cocaine. Franklin County Children Services took custody of the infant after that delivery.

The Mayo Clinic indicates both post-partum depression and psychosis can last for weeks and even months. While rare, post-partum psychosis can include symptoms of confusion, obsessive thoughts, hallucinations, paranoia and self-harm.

Nice try. I believe her previous criminal history is more telling. Plus she didn't want those twins. She abandoned them both.
SMH
JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123