MS - Rasheem Carter, 25, called mom said life in danger, Smith County, scattered remains found in 2022 and 2023

Bumping for Rasheem.

Was looking at an earlier linked article that said things would be investigated but an updated version says:

The landowner turned the footage in to authorities, and a search for Carter began. His remains were found Wednesday and taken to the Mississippi Crime Lab for DNA confirmation.

The sheriff thanked the public for coming forward with information that was helpful in this case, which was able to provide closure for the family.

Does this mean they are not investigating foul play?

Family distraught after remains found in Smith county believed to be those of missing Fayette man

This is the only other info I can find on this case? I am a resident of MS and I am praying for justice for this family!

I know he was sent to the crime lab. Now we wait for a CoD. The fact that they have him on a game cam will hopefully shed some light on what happened to him. Such a sad situation and lots of unanswered questions, unless there are critical details that have not been made public. My heart breaks for his mama.

Family Seeks Answers After Missing Black Man's Skeletal Remains Are Believed To Be Found | BIN: Black Information Network

Carter had previously told relatives that he was being threatened by people he knew.

Wright noted that the 25-year-old told his mother on the day of his disappearance that he was specifically concerned about three men who were following him.

“He did speak with his mom Tiffany about a white truck and white males in there threatened to harm him. He did give her the names,” Wright said.

“If anyone knows you know just come forward and let the family know,” Wright continued. “You know we want closure. We deserve closure.”

The remains have been sent to the state crime lab for testing. Carter's mother provided a DNA sample to assist with identification and an autopsy, according to family members.

The family has also created an account to cover the costs of retaining a lawyer and an independent autopsy.

"On October 2, 2022, my nephew, Rasheem Ryelle Carter went missing in Taylorsville, MS under mysterious circumstances," the reads. "On November 2, 2022, my family and I were contacted that Rasheem was found deceased on private property in Taylorsville. Given the nature of his death and the investigation, or lack thereof, my family is trying to retain legal counsel, a private investigator, and an independent autopsy so that we may have a fair chance at attaining justice for Rasheem."

It sounds like the investigation is not going so well and the family can use all the help they can get from outside LE. I hope LE will do Rasheem and his family right by investigating this thoroughly and with diligence.

Last edited:
Family Seeks Answers After Missing Black Man's Skeletal Remains Are Believed To Be Found | BIN: Black Information Network

Carter had previously told relatives that he was being threatened by people he knew.

Wright noted that the 25-year-old told his mother on the day of his disappearance that he was specifically concerned about three men who were following him.

“He did speak with his mom Tiffany about a white truck and white males in there threatened to harm him. He did give her the names,” Wright said.

“If anyone knows you know just come forward and let the family know,” Wright continued. “You know we want closure. We deserve closure.”

The remains have been sent to the state crime lab for testing. Carter's mother provided a DNA sample to assist with identification and an autopsy, according to family members.

The family has also created an account to cover the costs of retaining a lawyer and an independent autopsy.

"On October 2, 2022, my nephew, Rasheem Ryelle Carter went missing in Taylorsville, MS under mysterious circumstances," the reads. "On November 2, 2022, my family and I were contacted that Rasheem was found deceased on private property in Taylorsville. Given the nature of his death and the investigation, or lack thereof, my family is trying to retain legal counsel, a private investigator, and an independent autopsy so that we may have a fair chance at attaining justice for Rasheem."

It sounds like the investigation is not going so well and the family can use all the help they can get from outside LE. I hope LE will do Rasheem and his family right by investigating this thoroughly and with diligence.
I can't say how the investigation is going, but I can tell you that they are most likely awaiting the results from the very backed up and overwhelmed state crime lab. Smith County is a very rural county with a low crime rate. Murders are not common there so you'll have a lack of experience coupled with a lack of resources. Just throwing that out there because I think that sometimes people may not realize what type of area this is. The closest town of any size is Laurel, if you are familiar with the tv show called Hometown, which is in Jones Co. where Rasheem was staying. It is a very small city.

MAR 13

The family of Rasheem Carter is holding a news conference Monday in Jackson to release the results of an independent autopsy. They will also ask the U.S. Department of Justice to investigate.

Thank you for posting this. I hope his family can find the perp(s) and find justice. All along, I have felt that his death was at the hands of another (or others). MOO.

Prominent attorney Ben Crump is asking for a federal investigation into the death of a Mississippi man who he said was murdered.

[snip]

Crump said Rasheem Carter's family was given his head and spinal cord in a box from the State Crime Lab. Crump said Rasheem Carter's head was severed from his body.

"They recently found remains they believe are also Rasheem Carter at another part of where he went missing. What that tells us is this was a nefarious act, an evil act. Someone murdered Rasheem Carter and we cannot let them get away with this," Crump said.

Crump is calling on the Department of Justice to investigate what happened to Rasheem Carter.

"My son told me there were three truckloads of white men after him, trying to kill him," said Tiffany Carter.

[snip]

31 days is a pretty short period for human remains to be completely scattered by animal activity. It would take large scavenger(s) that should have left recognizable bite patterns or a great number of small scavengers who's activity you'd think would have been noticed

Carter's front teeth were missing from the top and bottom rows, which Carter's family said could indicate that he was assaulted before he died.

I thought I read recently in a different thread that teeth do not easily detach. Does anyone know, generally speaking, whether or not that is case? If so, it seems very unusual to me that the teeth would have detached from the skill in just a few weeks. MOO.

I do hope that Rasheem's family are able to get other agencies involved as I agree with them that his death does not seem natural. Imo.

Quote from:

MAR 13

The family of Rasheem Carter is holding a news conference Monday in Jackson to release the results of an independent autopsy. They will also ask the U.S. Department of Justice to investigate.

good for them, they really dont seem to acting w any urgency. <modsnip: Not an established fact>

Last edited by a moderator:
"They have recently found remains that they believe are also Rasheem Carter at another part of where he went missing, and what that tells us is, this was a nefarious act. This was an evil act. Somebody murdered Rasheem Carter. And we cannot let them get away with this," Crump said.

According to a statement by the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation sent to ABC News, the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation is assisting in the investigation of Carter's death. Since it is an open investigation, they did not wish to comment further at this time and any further information and updates should come from the lead agency, Smith County Sheriff's Department.

"Clearly Rasheem's death was not a natural death," said Ricky McDonald, president of the Jefferson County NAACP chapter, said at the press conference. "After Rasheem was found shortly after law enforcement there says that it was no foul play. How can it not be foul play when his body was dismembered? How can it not be foul play when his body parts was scattered all over the land in which he was found."
1678832936934.jpeg
After specifying a name in the text message who Carter felt threatened by, he continued in the message that "if anything happens… he's responsible for it. … He got these guys wanting to kill me," according to text messages his mother read during the press conference.

"My son told me that it was three truckloads of white guys trying to kill him. And at the time that he told me, as a mother, you know, I had to think fast. So I told him to go to the police station because I felt in my heart they would serve and protect like they are obligated to do," she said.

Carter visited the Taylorsville Police Department on two separate occasions leading up to his disappearance, according to Chief of Laurel Police Department Tommy Cox, whose department filed the initial missing persons case after the family came to them for help.
The Taylorsville Police Department did not immediately respond to ABC News for comment.

"This doesn't seem like the act of just one individual," Crump said during the press conference. "It kind of lines up with what Tiffany said, there was a lynch mob of three trucks chasing her son before he went missing."

ADMIN NOTE:

Websleuths does not allow general discussion about certain social justice issues, and race is certainly one of those issues (along with religion, politics, death penalty, orientation, etc.) The reason for this policy is that these issues will NEVER be resolved through discussion at Websleuths. In our experience it will only lead to division and bickering among members. Such posts get removed and posting privileges may be affected.

To answer a question presented via a Report, members may certainly discuss that the family believes this to be a racial issue / hate crime, and it's fine to discuss what they or their representatives have to say in MSM. However Websleuths draws the line at general discussion of overall racial issues. Only if/when an official agency determines this is a race/hate crime can members discuss the specifics, and then only as they relate directly to Rasheem's case.

I’ve never heard of this case but after reading through the thread one thing stood out to me in the initial articles released after his remains were found. It made me wonder if this was why LE stated they didn’t feel foul play was involved.

The sheriff said a landowner had a game camera set up in the area. When the camera was checked last week, a picture of a man was seen on the camera. (The search and discovery of his remains followed).

Was the man Rasheem? Was the man alone? Was the man alive? If one or more people are responsible for his death wouldn’t they have been seen?

Also, there are two differing interpretations of an autopsy report. (ETA: I realize these opinions are presumably based on two separate autopsies). I feel for his family. I hope someone can give them the answers they deserve.

1. According to the autopsy, the medical examiner ruled that the cause and manner of death were undetermined. The report also states that the conditions of the remains at the time of the autopsy made it difficult to determine exact timing of the injuries, and said that signs of animal activity on the remains clouded the picture.

2. Carter's head was severed from his body, with his spinal cord recovered in an area separate from his head, according to Crump. Some of Carter's body parts are still missing, according to Crump.

"One thing is for certain … This was not a natural killing. This was not a natural death. This represents a young man who was killed," attorney Ben Crump said during a press conference Monday, releasing the findings of an autopsy report by the Mississippi State Medical Examiner's Office.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back