MI MI - Perry Corlew, 18, Grayling, 15 March 1974

One thing that we don't have is a psychological profile of Perry. Did he exhibit any signs of depression? Did he have a personality disorder? Knowing more about the breaking-and-entering incident would help. Was it a property crime? Was he breaking into the house of a romantic interest? Was he intoxicated? Did he have a drinking problem? His fleeing the scene of the fender bender does begin to paint a picture of someone who cannot handle the pressure of everyday living. That points me towards suicide. I could buy his running away, but I can't see him pulling it off for one year let alone forty-eight years.

I know that one of the theories being bandied about was that he was died during an arrest. If his car accident was caused by drunk driving, it would make some sense that he might have gotten pulled over. If he resisted arrest and was killed, but then the cop realized that he was unarmed, I can see a cop disposing of the body instead of reporting the death.
I read online that LE said that Perry dying during an arrest was a rumor and never substantiated. We have no info about Perry's personality or psychological profile. Agree, too much time passed for him to just run away at 18, with no plan. Nothing substantial about Perry's whereabouts has surfaced since March 15, 1974.

We need more information about Perry's life, and events leading up to that day, and especially the day itself, along with Perry's mindset.

Satch

So, I know Ozoner posted pictures of the area, but I don't think anyone really understands how dense some of these wooded areas are. There is relatively frequent foot travel for hunting, fishing and foraging, but that doesn't mean much. I've stomped through many of these areas and can tell you that there could have been any number of times that I walked past something 5 feet from me, and would have had no idea.

As for the prank call, this, to me, is likely a sad coincidence and an unfortunate one for his brother. Prank calls were pretty common, and so were cartoon voices.

I can shoot out a record request to see if we can get some more information that may help us get a better understanding of what happened.

I'm also curious to know if any searches were conducted in the wooded areas between northbound and southbound I-75? Also, how far did LE search before and after the car for tracks leading off of I75?

My thought, is that the wooded areas between the northbound and the southbound lanes have next to zero foot traffic. Many of these areas fill with water as well. With it having no foot traffic and people stopping on the side of the road being rare, he could have easily gone into those areas and not been discovered.

I'm also curious to know if any searches were conducted in the wooded areas between northbound and southbound I-75? Also, how far did LE search before and after the car for tracks leading off of I75?

My thought, is that the wooded areas between the northbound and the southbound lanes have next to zero foot traffic. Many of these areas fill with water as well. With it having no foot traffic and people stopping on the side of the road being rare, he could have easily gone into those areas and not been discovered.
It would be great if we could find out exactly where the car was located, at least down to what mile posts it was between. I don't know whether they would have taken any pictures of the car because there wasn't actually any crime scene.

It would be great if we could find out exactly where the car was located, at least down to what mile posts it was between. I don't know whether they would have taken any pictures of the car because there wasn't actually any crime scene.
I sent the request yesterday, so maybe we can get that information. I'm unsure if you still live near or visit that area, but I'd be more than willing to search the medians. You're more than welcome to join me.

I'm unsure what permission we would need to get, if any, but I can check.

Some great points and ideas have been posted on this thread recently.
What kind of search, if any, was done in the surrounding area to locate Perry? Where exactly was the car located...in the middle of the road..pulled off to the side? Supposedly it was snowing...did Perry have a coat...whatever became of any footprints?
Also, any information on the other person involved in the accident..did they stay on the scene..drive off to find Perry?

I sent the request yesterday, so maybe we can get that information. I'm unsure if you still live near or visit that area, but I'd be more than willing to search the medians. You're more than welcome to join me.

I'm unsure what permission we would need to get, if any, but I can check.
I travel through that area on my way "up north," but I don't have any plans to be up there during the next few weeks. Searching the medians would probably be worthwhile—heck, we might find half a dozen sets of skeletal remains!—but I doubt that Perry would have gone into the median.

Aside from where the car was located, I would like to know whether Perry had access to a weapon. If he killed himself out in the woods, I would think that he would have shot himself or hanged himself. He might not have killed himself deliberately, though. He might have just run and fallen through some ice on a pond or stream or even just gotten lost and died of hypothermia. Knowing the exact location of the car is really key.

As much as I want Perry to be alive and well, I do agree with Ozoner. If he ran off, why after all these years did he not reach out to the family to simply let them know he was alive?
Thinking of Perry today!

My guess is that he's been dead in the woods since the night he disappeared, whether by his own hand or by Mother Nature's inexorable brutality.
Many would think a body would be found, but back in those days, especially when people reach legal age, LE would say, "It's their right to disappear." Many jurisdictions will run checks if they think it's not voluntary, such as foul play. But there's no evidence of foul play in this case.

I think I read somewhere that Perry had a conversation with the other driver who's car he bumped and busted the headlight,and there were no problems. But that was a long time ago. I think he took off for fear of going to court or jail over a bad driving record. He had some other misdemeanors as well. One was a breaking and entering charge. It sounds like he was someone who was heading down the wrong path, and his parents read hm "The Riot Act."

That phone call eighteen years later sends chills up my spine. Either that was a cruel prank, or Perry was alive at the time, but could not say if it was him, or where he was. Recall, that Perry and his brother Mike would mimic cartoon characters when they were kids. Mike answered the phone in 1992, and somebody on the other end of the line Mike thought was mimicking cartoon characters. "Perry? Perry is that you?!" Mike asked, the caller responded with "Perry Who?" and hung up the phone.

Prank calls were common back than. Today, they are replaced by spam calls and telemarketers. In any event, there have been no known whereabouts of Perry Corlew since March 15, 1974.

Satch

I have been reading this case and I agree the most likely conclusion was that he left the car and walked/ran into the woods for what reason we don't know and succumbed to the elements. That phone call though gives me pause. Could it have been from a friend who remembered the brothers mimicked cartoon voices? I am thinking not. I am guessing many of those friends didn't even remember they did that 18 years later unless prompted. The ones who still remembered I bet would not even think of making a crank call 18 years later when they were in their mid 30's. If it occurred a few months later or even a couple of years later yes I could see it. Sure there were crank calls made back then but this strikes me as so specific. I bet the particular cartoon voice was exactly one they did do back then. So I think it is very possible it was Perry calling. Why he didn't identify himself? Maybe he loved his life now and he just wanted to let his family know he was out there and ok and leave it like that. He figured so much time has passed and maybe it was too late to go back.

I have been reading this case and I agree the most likely conclusion was that he left the car and walked/ran into the woods for what reason we don't know and succumbed to the elements. That phone call though gives me pause. Could it have been from a friend who remembered the brothers mimicked cartoon voices? I am thinking not. I am guessing many of those friends didn't even remember they did that 18 years later unless prompted. The ones who still remembered I bet would not even think of making a crank call 18 years later when they were in their mid 30's. If it occurred a few months later or even a couple of years later yes I could see it. Sure there were crank calls made back then but this strikes me as so specific. I bet the particular cartoon voice was exactly one they did do back then. So I think it is very possible it was Perry calling. Why he didn't identify himself? Maybe he loved his life now and he just wanted to let his family know he was out there and ok and leave it like that. He figured so much time has passed and maybe it was too late to go back.
Mimicking cartoon voices was common back then because everybody watched cartoons on Saturday morning. Prank phone calls were common, too. I received many of them myself. I think it was just a random prank caller disguising his voice, and Perry's brother wanted it to be Perry. There's no chance that it was actually Perry, IMO.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DuckierPresents
Back