TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep thinking there may be a missing degree or two of separation. Something outside the obvious boxes. Like (total speculation), a long-time male friend or coworker who sought a divorce and that unhappy wife thought rightly or wrongly that Liz gave advice resulting in her spouse seeking divorce (not that Liz was involved, just that she might've given advice or was believed to). Or someone had a cushy situation -- free room and board -- but it necessitated stability in a 2nd or 3rd marriage (adult child, adult grandchildren, adult nephew living rent free) -- and Liz offered or was believed to offer advice, resulting in the potential dissolution of that marriage which would catapult that couchsurfer into the surf. Or someone believed that Liz was responsible for some level of discomfort and believed that she was acting in some kind of bad faith.

I followed a case here where a wife convinced a vulnerable old flame that her actually-very-decent husband was abusing her (he was not), and the flame drove across multiple states to kill her husband, believing he was eliminating a bad guy (and also so he and the wife could pursue a relationship).

Maybe somebody outside Liz's immediate circle was led to believe Liz was responsible for something (which she may have been completely innocent of).

I feel like Liz did not know the person directly. I feel like the person didn't directly know Liz either, had to confirm her house, her identity, but also wanted Liz to know why she was being shot.

Brazen. Awful.

JMO

Last edited:
I wrote a comparison about this case and Kaityln Armstrong, and the bold text very similarly describes the actions she took and her motivation for doing it.

I personally cannot see a man in this case pretending to be a woman, especially so fluidly. The movements, the lack of anything remotely masculine. Would a man go out and buy a pair of uggs in his size just for this attack? Also, have you noticed that when men who do not dress normally in women’s clothes, suddenly have biceps and muscles? (Think for instance any comedy skits with men in dresses)

As I have said before, most men would not put this much thought into it. Dark hat, shades, bandana, dark long sleeves and pants.

My money is on this being a woman. A fairly spoiled woman in an unhappy marriage, and just generally unhappy altogether.

Question is, what could (if it was a woman) she possibly use as an excuse to use someone’s truck THAT early in the morning? (Which also makes me think she had just got out of bed). I can’t picture a woman making an excuse to go anywhere public, dressed that way, (maybe saying the baby needs milk, oops we are out of coffee) which is what leads me to believe it was an attack taken out at the golden opportunity time, well planned but also slightly impulsive acting in the moment.
Agreed with a lot of your comments. Makes sense.

In addition, this same person was also out driving around in the neighborhood the morning prior to Liz’s murder.

Was the person ( killer) feeling anxious, exhibiting nervous behavior and/or anxiety?

Honestly, this is a person likely to exhibit an antisocial personality disorders such as sociopathy or psychopathy.

much speculation. moo.

From the latest interview with S

Q: Who knew about the garage sale?

A: The only people who knew about the garage sale is some of her coworkers, myself, her parents and I think my mom..

It’s been 4 years and the killer is still on the loose , yet he is not sure whether his mom knew garage sale or not .
This with his mimics sounded to me like he’s trying to downplay the importance of garage sale. He constantly did the same like he only watched the CCTV once, or he was unaware of the insurance or the insurance amount being not much or choosing to say Liz passed away instead of killed or murdered. It implies to me distancing oneself totally from the facts and the case itself. JMO
This particular part in bold.

Honestly, if this happened to my wife, I would probably have no clue who knew she was setting up and who didn’t. I don’t ask a lot any questions, and just let her do her thing.

On the other hand, my wife would ask me very extremely specific questions for seemingly no reason. “When are you setting up? What are you selling? How much do you plan to make? Is there parking? Is there cash? Is there a plan for if the power goes out and the we are hit by and EMP and aliens land specifically on out front lawn?” (Last part and exaggeration for sarcasm of course)

This particular part in bold.

Honestly, if this happened to my wife, I would probably have no clue who knew she was setting up and who didn’t. I don’t ask a lot any questions, and just let her do her thing.

On the other hand, my wife would ask me very extremely specific questions for seemingly no reason. “When are you setting up? What are you selling? How much do you plan to make? Is there parking? Is there cash? Is there a plan for if the power goes out and the we are hit by and EMP and aliens land specifically on out front lawn?” (Last part and exaggeration for sarcasm of course)
All of this is very recognizable in my world…

Question is, what could (if it was a woman) she possibly use as an excuse to use someone’s truck THAT early in the morning? (Which also makes me think she had just got out of bed). I can’t picture a woman making an excuse to go anywhere public, dressed that way, (maybe saying the baby needs milk, oops we are out of coffee) which is what leads me to believe it was an attack taken out at the golden opportunity time, well planned but also slightly impulsive acting in the moment.
The truck part is still interesting. First, the same car was also used for canvassing the neighbourhood. Second, it was probably not spotted there before or after. So first of all, the car is not local enough to have been spotted anywhere the police looked before/after the crime (e.g driven to Starbucks by an unsuspecting spouse). But at the same time, the attacker had the possibility to use the car more than once.
I am not sure what that means, especially at is possible that the car was simply nor spotted by chance (it was a specific residencial area and I don't know how much the PD looked for the car on different surveillance footage on other days) and it's technically also possible the car was "stolen" twice (used while the owner was asleep). But I feel it is more likely the killer had either comfortable or planned access to the car.
Oh my, I think your wife is also my husband! How awkward!

On March 1st, my husband unexpectedly died. I will be getting life insurance money but to be honest, I don’t care about it. No amount of money can make me happy and bring him back. I’d rather have him here with me.

Everyone reacts differently to grief but there still are things about this case that make me scratch my head. I have a whole new perspective, i think. I couldn’t imagine moving on so quickly and stopping to talk to the media or taking an hour to get home. I had to beg the staff where he died to let me see him. I didn’t want to leave him, ever. Leaving where he died was one of the hardest things I ever had to do.
So sorry for your loss. <<hugs>>

I keep thinking there may be a missing degree or two of separation. Something outside the obvious boxes. Like (total speculation), a long-time male friend or coworker who sought a divorce and that unhappy wife thought rightly or wrongly that Liz gave advice resulting in her spouse seeking divorce (not that Liz was involved, just that she might've given advice or was believed to). Or someone had a cushy situation -- free room and board -- but it necessitated stability in a 2nd or 3rd marriage (adult child, adult grandchildren, adult nephew living rent free) -- and Liz offered or was believed to offer advice, resulting in the potential dissolution of that marriage which would catapult that couchsurfer into the surf. Or someone believed that Liz was responsible for some level of discomfort and believed that she was acting in some kind of bad faith.

I followed a case here where a wife convinced a vulnerable old flame that her actually-very-decent husband was abusing her (he was not), and the flame drove across multiple states to kill her husband, believing he was eliminating a bad guy (and also so he and the wife could pursue a relationship).

Maybe somebody outside Liz's immediate circle was led to believe Liz was responsible for something (which she may have been completely innocent of).

I feel like Liz did not know the person directly. I feel like the person didn't directly know Liz either, had to confirm her house, her identity, but also wanted Liz to know why she was being shot.

Brazen. Awful.

JMO
This is a very puzzling case. There are multiple video sources of the perp and the vehicle.

Liz had a lot of friends in her cosplay group and I am sure many of them have racked their brains trying to identify anybody they knew who fit that description or has access to a vehicle like that. I am sure they have given all of that privately to the police. For there not to have been any arrest after 4 years means this person has a very well hidden connection to Liz.

This is a very puzzling case. There are multiple video sources of the perp and the vehicle.

Liz had a lot of friends in her cosplay group and I am sure many of them have racked their brains trying to identify anybody they knew who fit that description or has access to a vehicle like that. I am sure they have given all of that privately to the police. For there not to have been any arrest after 4 years means this person has a very well hidden connection to Liz.
This case bugs me to no end: She was such an innocent, blindsided - ambushed-- as several of us have said, this case seems solvable- but it isn't solved---

Someone knows something…

• Did the killer travel from another state to Tomball, TX, to kill Liz?
  • Or does the killer reside in the state of TX?
  • Did/does the killer live near by in the Tomball area?
  • Anyone close notice behavioral changes in a person (killer) since the murder of Liz?
  • Hypothetically, I’d suspect that the killer’s life changed substantially after the murder of Liz.
  • Did the killer lose or gain weight after the murder of Liz?
  • Did the killer begin to indulge in alcohol or drugs more than before?
  • Is the killer more isolated than previously?
  • Does the killer no longer have the same interest/hobbies prior to the murder of Liz?
  • Does the killer have a hard time staying employed?
Speculation on my part. moo

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss!

I, too, think Sergio's behavior is inexplicable. Were my husband in Liz's situation, I would be clawing my way to get to him -to talk to him, comfort him, say last things to him, tell him I love him, find out how he's doing, hold his hand..... Clawing. The only way LE could get me to hang back and answer questions would be to put me in handcuffs.

That being said, several posters here have also brought up the strange way he referred to her -as an "angel". Who knows how others use language. It can vary tremendously between individuals. However, I sort of equate it to telling someone that my husband is a saint. I love him, but he's not a saint. I would tell people that he's a "wonderful man", a "wonderful husband", a "great guy", etc. But I can't think I'd ever equate him to an angel.

So, perhaps all wasn't 100% lovey-dovey, hunky-dory in the Barraza world. Maybe Sergio described her that way out of guilt? As a way of pointing the finger away from him because as the husband, he knows he'll be the number one suspect. The thing is, though: Even if things weren't as perfect as we've been told, that doesn't really help us get very far. Very many couples who don't have perfect marriages go on to live un-perfect lives. They don't end up being shot a point-blank range right outside their own home. There just doesn't seem to be any evidence at all that points to SB, whether or not their marriage wasn't the picture perfect one that's been portrayed.

We need some evidence! Something, somewhere. A phone call. Something. There really wasn't anything on either of their phones? That surely points away from home and more toward someone at work or at the 501. Something like that. Maybe.

I too, keep coming back around to SB, or someone very close to him. As far as evidence goes, we may not have evidence - but LE may. And if that evidence is insufficient, at this point, it is likely because it is difficult to find anything suspicious in conversations between individuals who are closely related, versus random calls to an out-of-state hitman, for example. Also, hypothetically speaking, when you spend a lot of time with certain individuals, it is very easy to plan things in person, rather than to leave any trace digitally that could be used against you.

I too, keep coming back around to SB, or someone very close to him

My pet theory is that SB wasn't involved but has a pretty good idea what happened and maybe even had an inkling that Liz was at risk based on his deep familiarity with the person she agitated. That doesn't make him guilty, but may explain his wierd/muted reactions somewhat. Fwiw though, it has always struck me as noteworthy that he moved on as quickly as he did..

My pet theory is that SB wasn't involved but has a pretty good idea what happened and maybe even had an inkling that Liz was at risk based on his deep familiarity with the person she agitated. That doesn't make him guilty, but may explain his wierd/muted reactions somewhat. Fwiw though, it has always struck me as noteworthy that he moved on as quickly as he did..
yep he moved on pretty quickly----

On March 1st, my husband unexpectedly died. I will be getting life insurance money but to be honest, I don’t care about it. No amount of money can make me happy and bring him back. I’d rather have him here with me.

Everyone reacts differently to grief but there still are things about this case that make me scratch my head. I have a whole new perspective, i think. I couldn’t imagine moving on so quickly and stopping to talk to the media or taking an hour to get home. I had to beg the staff where he died to let me see him. I didn’t want to leave him, ever. Leaving where he died was one of the hardest things I ever had to do.
@Ajs1004, I am so sorry for your loss. I cant imagine feeling any way but how you describe. ((Hug))

Disengagement seems of interest, moo. Something I can’t relate to as I continue to grieve for years over my loved ones' passing, and thankfully none been murdered in the same manner as Liz. Brutally gunned down, blindsided (no chance to protect herself) at her own home. However, people grieve differently and have the right to grieve privately, probably it’s his way of surviving to put on a brave face. It appears so distance though that since the fairy tale is now over so is the bliss, time to move on? Moo

@Ajs1004, hope you have much love and support. Please know that you have a community of friends here if you need anyone don't hesitate to reach out.

“You need to control your wife or I will” - could something like this been said?

yep he moved on pretty quickly----
Oddly at first it didn’t bother me, I’ve known people who moved on quickly after the sudden and unexpected death of their spouse.

But recently realizing that SB & EB were together for 5 years before getting married has certainly changed my opinion on whether or not he moved on quickly.

What is interesting and most frustrating is to me, is that out of every interview, television appearance, media portrayal, etc., the parents are never asked outright if they think the husband was involved.

You would think that this would be the first question asked, but instead all we get from the parents is regurgitated information that anyone who’s interested in the case has already known for years.

It’s almost as if this question is specifically excluded from interviews, for whatever reason.

You would think with all the social media speculation, the parents would want to address this, and yet, nothing.

What is interesting and most frustrating is to me, is that out of every interview, television appearance, media portrayal, etc., the parents are never asked outright if they think the husband was involved.

You would think that this would be the first question asked, but instead all we get from the parents is regurgitated information that anyone who’s interested in the case has already known for years.

It’s almost as if this question is specifically excluded from interviews, for whatever reason.

You would think with all the social media speculation, the parents would want to address this, and yet, nothing.
Well, perhaps they want to avoid being sued for libel/slander. I don’t know, but I think they could open themselves up for such a charge.

Oddly at first it didn’t bother me, I’ve known people who moved on quickly after the sudden and unexpected death of their spouse.

But recently realizing that SB & EB were together for 5 years before getting married has certainly changed my opinion on whether or not he moved on quickly.
One thought of several that I have regarding S’s “moving on” is that I think men often do remarry rather quickly when a wife dies, especially if they’d had a happy marriage. I certainly don’t have any statistics regarding such, and things could be very different these days but, traditionally, I do think that it’s often been the case, more so with men that with women.

One thought of several that I have regarding S’s “moving on” is that I think men often do remarry rather quickly when a wife dies, especially if they’d had a happy marriage. I certainly don’t have any statistics regarding such, and things could be very different these days but, traditionally, I do think that it’s often been the case, more so with men that with women.
You are correct and there's even data on that. The first Google results:
Remarriage After Bereavement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members