SC - Stephen Smith, 19, homicide, Hampton Co, 9 Jul 2015 *new death investigation 2023*

"[SLED Detective] Rutland tells Griffin that she met with Alex Murdaugh, his brothers Randy and John Marvin and his son Buster Murdaugh on Thursday, June 10, 2021 with SLED Agents in Varnville. At that meeting, all parties agreed to allow SLED to download the contents of their cellular phones."

6 days later...

"...the SLED dive team on June 16, 2021 during their search of the Moselle property and surrounding areas."

6 days later...

"SLED said they reopened that investigation on June 22, 2021, due to evidence they found during the Murdaugh murder investigation."

My opinions only...
SLED reopened the Stephen Smith case two weeks after the three Murdaugh brothers and AM's remaining son let their phones be downloaded by SLED. We know from court testimony that AM had by June 10th deleted many texts later recovered by tech forensic examiners. Maybe others, in that group of four, beside AM had deleted texts or media pertaining to SS?

There were also SLED dive teams on "Murdaugh property and surrounding areas" 6 days after the phone downloads were done.

14 days after the downloads and 6 days after the dive teams Stephen Smith's case is reopened by SLED from information gathered in the Murdaugh murders investigation. I think the reason for this could either be just phone data evidence from the four Murdaughs or physical evidence recovered because of the phone data recovered. AJMO

Stephen Smith​

The death of teenager Stephen Smith, who had reportedly been friends with Alex Murdaugh's surviving older son Buster Murdaugh, has also generated renewed attention in the wake of the senior Murdaugh's double-murder conviction.

Buster Murdaugh, 26, has been the subject of much commentary after supporting his father throughout the trial and testifying in his defense. Now he must contend with allegations—reportedly contained in Highway Patrol files—that he was somehow connected to the death of Smith.

The 19 year old, a nursing student who was openly gay, was found lying dead in the road back in 2015. It was officially ruled as a hit-and-run tragedy at the time, but the boy's mother Sandy Smith has always said that she believed he had been murdered.

I found it interesting that the audio article from FitsNews was much more Murdaugh family friendly than I expected. We need to keep in mind that corruption and bad behavior in that part of South Carolina is not limited to the Murdaugh clan. There are likely other prominent men who would have a motive to eliminate SS. It would not be unlikely that PMPED lawyers might become involved with the case if the possibility of making big bucks were present.

According to this: South Carolina - Coroner/ME Laws | CDC
The Medical Examiner works under the coroner and the coroner is ultimately responsible for findings.

“We didn’t know who did it but we just heard that Buster did it,” said one man to investigators. “Everybody knows who Buster is and like his family and all that so it’s kind of shocking,” he added.

Details in newly released case file suggest connection between unsolved 2015 homicide and Murdaugh family | WCBD News 2

Then, the Murdaugh name came up again — this time in connection to a different alleged suspect.

According to notes, investigators received a tip purporting to know the identity of Smith’s killer. When investigators spoke to the tipster, he confessed that “the reason he was passing this information on was because Randy Murdaugh [Buster’s uncle] told him to call.”

Jmo
All the Murdaugh’s knew what happened.

I know when I was young when I went out to play I had to take younger brother with me, there were lot’s of kids then as I am sure there are now that had to take younger sibling along.
And what ever happened on these outdoor adventures little brother was there to witness, and sometimes told.
Agree. Randy Murdaugh is at the scene. Randy Murdaugh calls the family offering to take the case. When you look at the other deaths they try to cover, there is evidence of a pattern. They do the same with Mallory and Gloria. These are only the ones we know about. I'm sure Presnell was influenced into writing his death off as a hit and run. Paul's girlfriend stated they were snickering when they denied having anything to do with 'that queens death" Its also clear when the boys needs their crimes covered, the Murdaugh elders where who they called

DEATH OF STEPHEN SMITH

What happened next is unclear, but a friend of Smith’s named Olivia stated in the docuseries:

“I believe that he picked Stephen up and was fooling Stephen into thinking they were taking him home but I think they got a little ways down the road and that’s when it all started to unravel. I believe that the Murdaughs did whatever the hell it took to keep everyone’s mouth shut that night.”

Smith’s sister Stephanie recalled Alex Murdaugh’s brother Randy Murdaugh phoned the family the day Stephen died and said he wanted to take the case free of charge.

Chanley Shá Painter Retweeted

MURDAUGH FAMILY MURDERS: STEPHEN SMITH'S MOTHER SPEAKS TO COURT TV​

SLED has reopened the investigation into Smith's death. Smith, 19, was found dead in the middle of a Hampton County road in 2015. It was initially described as a hit-and-run. There were rumors Buster Murdaugh was connected to Smith's death. (3/6/23) MORE

Last edited:
It's a derogatory word for a gay man in the States. I have never heard it used kindly or to describe a bundle of sticks.
It is a derogatory word hear in Australia, worst insult as well. It also a type of Pork Sausage, Years ago I and girls YWCA Boarding House had to come of a British Girl she near got thrown out of the the local Butcher Shop, when she asked a innocent question. So I learned from her, it was a sausage or a pile of twigs.

raises double the goal to help exhume teen’s body tied to notorious Murdaugh family​

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/-r...s-murdaugh-family/4HEBVIPTRZDN3JLY7LMI2SBJXM/

Eta: Sorry. Seeming to have posting issues right now. In the editing version, the headline and link show correctly but in the actual post, it doesn't seem to be...?

Last edited:
<snipped & BBM> I find this very odd, why would Parker suddenly dismiss these 2 lawsuits?

Aug. 11, 2015

10:35 a.m. SCHP:
Jack calls Duncan.

• Duncan tells Jack that he knows he sent a text to Britney.
  • Jack knows Stephen (he confirms)
  • Duncan asked if Buster Murdaugh had any relationship with Stephen. Said he had heard it.
  • Jack said “I’ve heard the rumor.”
  • Do you know any info if that’s true or not? “Not at all.
  • When asked if he knows anything about about Stephen’s death, Jack says “No sir, not at all.”
  • Jack said that’s the only rumor he’s heard in relation to Stephen’s death.
Editor’s note: While doing a basic background search on Jack, we noticed that he was facing two different lawsuits from the Murdaugh’s law firm. Attorney John E. Parker — a powerful, well-known firm partner — filed two car accident lawsuits against Jack in late July 2015. They were both dismissed in 2016.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back