MS - Rasheem Carter, 25, called mom said life in danger, Smith County, scattered remains found in 2022 and 2023

A Mississippi sheriff said Tuesday that he has not ruled out the possibility of murder in the case of Rasheem Carter, months after initially saying there was “no reason” to suspect foul play in the Black man’s death.

[snip]

In an interview with NBC News, Smith County Sheriff Joel Houston defended his early determination, saying no evidence at the time pointed to homicide. But he said his department is still waiting on search warrants to rule more definitively.

[snip]

The sheriff said Tuesday that his department initially said that no foul play was suspected to ease public concern after finding no early evidence that Carter had been chased.

[snip]

The sheriff's department has submitted a search warrant to Google to determine whether any devices pinged in the area where Carter's remains were found around the time he went missing.

“It’s a last-straw-type deal to determine if anyone else was with him or not,” he said. “It’s not uncommon to use this tool.”

1678973230384.jpeg
The medical examiner’s report did not specifically say Carter was dismembered, CNN reported. Two dozen bones and fragments were found scattered across two acres and evidence found during the autopsy indicated that animals had scavenged Carter’s remains, the outlet reported.

The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation reportedly said due to the condition of the remains, the medical examiner could not reasonably determine a cause of death.

Smith County Sheriff Joel Houston told CNN he would welcome a federal probe into the case. He said investigators had not found evidence to corroborate the allegation that Carter was being followed.

View attachment 409429
The medical examiner’s report did not specifically say Carter was dismembered, CNN reported. Two dozen bones and fragments were found scattered across two acres and evidence found during the autopsy indicated that animals had scavenged Carter’s remains, the outlet reported.

The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation reportedly said due to the condition of the remains, the medical examiner could not reasonably determine a cause of death.

Smith County Sheriff Joel Houston told CNN he would welcome a federal probe into the case. He said investigators had not found evidence to corroborate the allegation that Carter was being followed.
I don't know if scavengers knock all your front teeth out of your skull...

Last edited by a moderator:
Right? That took me to somewhere completely different :(
It's weird, when I read the family's account that specifying mentioned no front teeth in the top or bottom of the skull it didn't register as alarming as seeing the actual skull, with the back teeth so healthy looking and the front so jarringly empty. Is the skull damaged around them? It didn't seem like rasheems teeth were tipped forward enough I would have expected their sockets to look like that.

Why do I feel that neither of the medical examiners that have worked this were experts? Think we need some Feds on this one.

It's weird, when I read the family's account that specifying mentioned no front teeth in the top or bottom of the skull it didn't register as alarming as seeing the actual skull, with the back teeth so healthy looking and the front so jarringly empty. Is the skull damaged around them? It didn't seem like rasheems teeth were tipped forward enough I would have expected their sockets to look like that.

Why do I feel that neither of the medical examiners that have worked this were experts? Think we need some Feds on this one.
or they didnt want to say it.....

In a statement on social media, the Smith County Sheriff’s Department did not elaborate on why they believed there was no foul play or what led them to the wooded area where Carter’s remains were found.

“They said ‘no foul play’ so quickly that they made Tiffany Carter and her family believe that they were trying to sweep it under the rug,” Crump said on “Banfield.” Authorities didn’t have much response “until our firm, and a lot of other people, started to say, ‘This doesn’t add up. You cannot try to tell this broken hearted woman that her son being found with his head decapitated was natural.'”

Tiffany said that Cardi B and Crump have been instrumental in “shining a light” on her Rasheem’s case.

Cardi B tweeted about the case Tuesday afternoon. The rapper has more than 29 million followers on the social media platform.

At 3:45 in this news interview they said some of the teeth are missing because they were removed for genetic testing.

Beginning at 1:14 -

- He was also caught on a deer camera, in the woods
- With a large stick on his shoulder and his shirt was ripped off of him
- He had bruises on him, so someone was after him and someone was chasing him

Keep listening, they talk about a photo taken from the footage which was circulated around town. Holy crap, if this is true - I have no words!! This is horrifying!!

Do we know details of who Rasheem was working for? Is that a survey (GPS) tripod in the picture?

Last edited:

To clarify the question about the medical examiners not being experts, the autopsy was done at the state crime lab not by the county coroner
Beginning at 1:14 -

- He was also caught on a deer camera, in the woods
- With a large stick on his shoulder and his shirt was ripped off of him
- He had bruises on him, so someone was after him and someone was chasing him

Keep listening, they talk about a photo taken from the footage which was circulated around town. Holy crap, if this is true - I have no words!! This is horrifying!!

Do we know details of who Rasheem was working for? Is that a survey (GPS) tripod in the picture?
We do know who he was working for but when I last posted about that it was not allowed here.

Co-counsel Carlos Moore said the “horrific” death was reminiscent of a landmark case credited with sparking the civil rights movement decades ago.

“I’ve been a Mississippian all 46 years of my life, and I have never heard of a crime this horrific in my life,” Moore said at the press conference. “I was not living during the time of Emmett Till. I heard about that, and read about it in the history books, but I thought we had progressed in Mississippi.”

The family described the details of events after Carter went missing in a Facebook post.

According to the post, the day before Carter’s disappearance he went to the police department in Taylorsville and informed officers that men were after him and that he feared for his life, but officers turned him away. He returned to the police station the next morning but was refused again.

He informed his mother that there were white men after him and that if something were to happen to him to start the investigation there. “He did speak with his mom Tiffany about a white truck and white males in there threatened to harm him,” his cousin, Shonda Wright told WLBT. “He did give her the names.”

Carter was last seen in early October outside a Super 8 hotel in Laurel, roughly half an hour from where he had contract work in Taylorsville at manufacturing company Georgia-Pacific.
and
Speaking at the news conference earlier this week, Crump explained that the family believe Rasheem Carter was a victim of a hate crime.

If it was the state medical examiner who performed the examination I'll be a bit more accepting of its conclusions and yes tooth roots are often where they go to find viable DNA the easiest in these sort of circumstances.

I just don't understand why the FBI isn't already all over this. The family is clearly trying to blow this up into being something serious and the faster a trusted source can present authoritative information, the better.

I suppose the inverse option is to consider the credibility of the person the family had perform the second medical examination.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galesr
Back