CANADA Canada - Sharin Morningstar Keenan, 9, Toronto, 23 Jan 1983

It has been 40 years since Sharin was violently raped, murdered and stuffed into a refrigerator by Dennis Melvin Howe. He has not been captured and would now be 82 years old if still alive.

I lived in downtown Toronto when this murder occurred. One thing I remember about this crime is that the BOLO image they disseminated to the public was the one where Howe has a lot of extra weight on him making him look much older than he really was. At the time of the killing he was 42 years old but looked in his mid 50s in that photo.

I do remember someone saying that he had actually lost quite a bit of weight that would have made him unrecognizable if comparing him to that mug shot. Whether it was someone just trying to insert themselves into the investigation, I remember hearing someone say he took the train to Thunder Bay and a more accurate image could possibly have helped apprehend him. Back in those days people had no phones, they'd be reading the Toronto Star, the Globe and Mail and the Toronto Sun on the train.
My aunt was telling me about this case today. She swears that she saw him in Toronto. She would never forget his face. He was trying to lure my three year old cousin, at the time out of a store, through of a shop window. Obviously there were no cell phones back then. When she went home, she thought that there was no point in calling the police, as she had no clue where he went. My aunt couldn’t sleep that night so she called police, feeling really silly, as it was hours later. The police confirmed they received multiple calls regarding sightings of him in the area that afternoon. She still gets goosebumps telling the story.

Might have to cover this case on my podcast! Let’s find this monster!

If as media reported the autopsy was delayed as her body was frozen and if as seems obvious a rather large girl could not be frozen in that old 50's era fridge that would explain why it was necessary to place her body in the fridge?

Detective Lawrie asked why out her in the fridge obvious answers would be as a temporary hiding place and to delay decomposition.

i have a question not a pleasant one. If Sharin had been placed in the fridge ten days before being found would her body in not have decomposed enough that there would be olfactory evidence at the very least in the room? Yet it doesn't seem that was the case. So not only do I think it impossible her body would freeze in the fridge I think it should I fact decompose even in the fridge that the officers would have detected it going into the room. What do you think?

If as media reported the autopsy was delayed as her body was frozen and if as seems obvious a rather large girl could not be frozen in that old 50's era fridge that would explain why it was necessary to place her body in the fridge?

Detective Lawrie asked why out her in the fridge obvious answers would be as a temporary hiding place and to delay decomposition.

i have a question not a pleasant one. If Sharin had been placed in the fridge ten days before being found would her body in not have decomposed enough that there would be olfactory evidence at the very least in the room? Yet it doesn't seem that was the case. So not only do I think it impossible her body would freeze in the fridge I think it should I fact decompose even in the fridge that the officers would have detected it going into the room. What do you think?
Thus her body was transferred to the fridge. Probably not by Howe.

Thus her body was transferred to the fridge. Probably not by Howe.

Are you suggesting Howe had a helper? Because I don't believe that for an instance. Those old refrigerators had a small freezer at the top. Because they weren't completely enclosed they constantly iced up leaving almost no space to utilize them. The door on the freezer compartment was a flimsy thin piece of plastic with a wire spring allowing you to open and close it. It would be so easy to yank that door off its hinge and just let the fridge ice over. Moving the racks in the fridge would have provided ample space to deposit the limp form of a dead child.

Feb 15, 2023
1679180638641.png
''Armchair detectives and real homicide cops have wrestled over what happened to him for years.
There is one answer that some old cops will tell you in hushed tones.
Dennis Melvin Howe never made it out of Ontario alive.

“The story goes that he was grabbed by cops before he left Toronto,” one longtime investigator told me. “He was grabbed, shoved in a car and then driven north. When they got far enough, they drove down a side road, marched him out of the car and blew his brains out.

“Then they buried him deep in the woods where he’d never be found.”

''Legend or not, homicide detectives have never forgotten Howe, who would be 82-years-old if still alive.

“Even 40 years on, we’re still investigating the whereabouts of Mr. Howe,” Smith said. “We’ve received tips from all over North America. We have his DNA but we have yet to get a confirmation and still have been unable to determine his whereabouts.''
1679180921855.png

Never heard about this legend. Now we have three 1. This one 2. Boise man's account if Toronto LE coming to Boise and throwing Howe out of a plane. Which seems only slightly more bizarre than this new one at least new to me. 3. In the fridge doc it opens Sharon's Mom having been told bounty hunters had killed him.

I doubt all three on the face of it UNLESS Howe was set up. After all we do have the curious fact he was never found. Also there endless odd things about the case and the investigation that have been discussed on this thread they can't be ignored. I don't believe for a second cops would assassinate Howe out of vengeance. If the goal was to set up Howe for whatever reason then yes. Also if Howe came home and found Sharin in his fridge he might take off.

It comes down to DNA mostly. That seems to seal it. Though I find it odd that only Howe's fingerprints were found in the room. Seems almost impossible it is a rooming house

Never heard about this legend. Now we have three 1. This one 2. Boise man's account if Toronto LE coming to Boise and throwing Howe out of a plane. Which seems only slightly more bizarre than this new one at least new to me. 3. In the fridge doc it opens Sharon's Mom having been told bounty hunters had killed him.

I doubt all three on the face of it UNLESS Howe was set up. After all we do have the curious fact he was never found. Also there endless odd things about the case and the investigation that have been discussed on this thread they can't be ignored. I don't believe for a second cops would assassinate Howe out of vengeance. If the goal was to set up Howe for whatever reason then yes. Also if Howe came home and found Sharin in his fridge he might take off.

It comes down to DNA mostly. That seems to seal it. Though I find it odd that only Howe's fingerprints were found in the room. Seems almost impossible it is a rooming house

Has anything come of Howe's possible appearance at his brother's funeral fairly recently? Masked due to Covid much thinner than the age enhanced. I know Ridgen and LE were looking into it. It was live streamed. That would have been unbelievably audacious especially with the live stream. So probably some other relative. But who?

Has anything come of Howe's possible appearance at his brother's funeral fairly recently? Masked due to Covid much thinner than the age enhanced. I know Ridgen and LE were looking into it. It was live streamed. That would have been unbelievably audacious especially with the live stream. So probably some other relative. But who?
Also we have the strange family tree done by a relative listing a date of Howe's supposed death discussed though not much many posts back. It is very weird. Obviously if the goal was to stop anyone looking for Howe it would backfire because hopefully LE would have interviewed the relative and asked well o.k. so where is the grave or why are you fabricating this.

Also we have the strange family tree done by a relative listing a date of Howe's supposed death discussed though not much many posts back. It is very weird. Obviously if the goal was to stop anyone looking for Howe it would backfire because hopefully LE would have interviewed the relative and asked well o.k. so where is the grave or why are you fabricating this.

Sorry for the multi posts seems like you can't edit to add. What a crazy article. But note the author noting child sex crimes are seldom one-offs. Media tends to exaggerate Howe's previous record in relation to sex crimes. The only one that I know of relates to a 13 year old girl which would qualify. In the Ridgen doc he mentions Howe abducting women driving women long distances and perhaps that is the word he uses attempting sexual contact. Perhaps? Seems odd. what was the nature of any previous crime against anyone say under 18? Sharin was a massive escalation.

There is an interesting post on the Nicole Morin thread Feb 13 2020 mentioning a four part series on Sharin by 4th year journalism students. One part is transcribed quoting a Regina police officer as claiming Ollie H. Howe's housemate went with Howe on the bus to Regina after killing Sharin then ditched Ollie on arrival YET the cop also says Howe got money there and came back to Toronto. I wonder where we can find this 4 part series by the students. If Ollie was ditched there must be a different source for him turning back to Toronto.

Don't know what to make of this. I had always had a hunch Howe might have been canny enough to double back to Toronto. It would mean Ollie is lying in a major way when he told reporters he had not seen Howe since Sharin disappeared.

It is possible the students got this wrong or the cop they interviewed got it wrong if true it is info not otherwise known to us.

Very lengthy article.
May 2022 By Peter Edwards
''There are so many things that police know about Dennis Melvyn Howe, often called the most wanted man in Canadian history.

Howe is the sole suspect in the rape and murder of nine-year-old Sharin Morningstar Keenan, whose body was found in a refrigerator in a boarding house at 482 Brunswick Ave. in Toronto on Feb. 1, 1983.

Police know Howe is left-handed, and has crooked baby-like fingers.

He’s white with brown eyes, with a scar on his cleft chin.

His nose is bulbous and reddish.

He used Orajel frequently to dull the pain of abscesses in his crooked teeth.

He liked to drink Molson beer, chain smoke unfiltered Player’s cigarettes and twist pens nervously through his fingers.

They know he was born in Estevan, Sask., on Sept. 26, 1940, and moved shortly after that to a plain-looking house in Regina.''

Police know that, at the time of Sharin’s murder, Howe had spent more than half his life behind bars and that he was becoming increasingly violent.

Police know Howe is a chameleon. He can rapidly shift his five-foot-nine frame so that he appears lean instead of pudgy.

He sometimes changes the colour and style of his thinning hair, which was dark brown before he went grey.

He has also occasionally sported a moustache.

Howe can alter his personality, too. He can be talkative, opinionated and comical, calling people “turkeys.”

At those times, his laugh is deep and sounds friendly.

He can also be shy and sullen and say almost nothing at all.

He’s a convincing liar who remembers the little details that make a story work.

He has lived under several aliases.

He has a brisk, shuffling walk.

He enjoys reading science fiction and can be well-spoken and even comical

He’s surprisingly polite and even-tempered.

“He was never, ever gross,” said a woman who knew him in his former hometown of Regina. “He was very much a gentleman. I never heard him swear or tell anything off-colour.”

He doesn’t like needles.

Police have samples of his DNA and his fingerprints.

He can blend into a crowd.

“He could walk right by and you wouldn’t pay too much attention to him,” retired homicide detective Wayne Oldham said.

Police know he almost always confines his violence to women, like a 13-year-old girl in Regina whom he raped and a grown woman he tried to abduct at knifepoint.

His anger toward women runs deep. He was married in 1962, but was locked up shortly after his first anniversary for 11 break-and-enters in Regina.

While he was in custody, his wife got a boyfriend and he successfully sued for divorce on the grounds of adultery.

She moved to the west coast and started a new family while he began targeting women who were strangers for violent crimes.

He would often approach them, saying he needed some kind of help.

A woman he abducted in 1977 in Regina recalled his “wolfen eyes” years later.

She said she feared he was “out there” and thinking of her.

“This could happen to me again but I honestly don’t think I could take it,” she told the Regina Leader-Post in 1985. “I think I would fall apart. He’s a cold devil. He really is.”

Police know Howe prefers to prey on trusting people, sometimes approaching them to ask for directions.''

''For all of the wildness of his actions, he is obsessively tidy in day-to-day life.''

Is this information from David Ridgen? Is it somewhere online about him and LE looking into it?

Was it the person that followed after the family as they were exiting? If anything, it's all in the scary looking eyes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back