Australia Australia - Marion Barter - Missing After Trip to UK - June 1997 #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
but has it been established where she lodged the name change and where the new passport was issued - location
The application for the FNMR passport was witnessed by a dentist at the Teachers Union Health Building on St Paul’s Terrace in Brisbane. I remember this as he was my dentist too and I know he is real and exists. He testified that he had no independent memory (i.e. after all this time he doesn’t actually recall doing it) but has verified that it is his signature and that he would have known it was Marion and that she was known to him as a regular client. I am assuming that the application was lodged as was usual in those days (Through the Post Office?) and sent off to Canberra.

The application for the FNMR passport was witnessed by a dentist at the Teachers Union Health Building on St Paul’s Terrace in Brisbane. I remember this as he was my dentist too and I know he is real and exists. He testified that he had no independent memory (i.e. after all this time he doesn’t actually recall doing it) but has verified that it is his signature and that he would have known it was Marion and that she was known to him as a regular client. I am assuming that the application was lodged as was usual in those days (Through the Post Office?) and sent off to Canberra.
Thanks for the reply. As soon as I read the word Dentist it jogged my memory.
So many details for my tiny brain to retain.

Just another something a bit out of left field from me but fascinating in any case. I have been playing around with ChatGPT for professional reasons and suddenly thought to try it with something on the MB case. Well! I am not posting the response here because (a) I’m not sure what to make of it, especially after Googling a name it came up with and (b) I’m really not too sure of the WS policy on it as AI is obviously not a verified source. I used the query ”What Happened to Marion Barter?” As a simple starter if anyone else wants to check it out. my mind was blown though and I am trying to work out how to do a follow up Query.
Nm. I just saw the other posts about it.

I am assuming that the application was lodged as was usual in those days (Through the Post Office?) and sent off to Canberra.

Going by the timeline on TLV FB page, MB applied for a new passport on 20 May 1997 and it was granted on 22 May 1997. Given the short timeframe I think it would be more likely that the passport application would have been submitted by hand to the Queensland Passports Office and collected by hand soon after it was issued. I also think it likely that someone paid for priority processing - 2 days seems to be a quick turnaround.

I can’t remember when MB left her house to live with her friend LLD, but it was around this time. I doubt that RB would have allowed a new FNMR passport to be mailed to any address as it could alert MB family & friends to her name change. Also, I remember that JO had RB‘s ‘assistance’ when applying for a new passport, and he collected the document on her behalf, no doubt making a copy for his own records. MOO

Even his speech patterns could be analysed. He's a one trick pony and he's a creature of habit and pattern, therefore his code would be simple to crack. What about appealing to those guys that do 'The Behaviour Panel' on youtube maybe?
That would be very interesting if you could get the inquest and send it to them.

The one thing that I personally took from both RB's and DdH's communication style is that they use obfuscation tactics to render all forms of verbal interaction redundant.

In RB's case he slips and slides around using numerous deflection and avoidance techniques, he literally contradicts things that he only a few minutes ago or in a previous hearing agreed or answered. His word means nothing. DdH was more of 'dunno...', 'can't remember...'. Her word also means nothing IMO.

To me this speaks of deliberate knowing guilt and is somewhat understandable from a criminal mindset. Why would anyone logically or rationally confirm, deny, or admit, to any single fact on the subject of anything if helping someone gather those facts could move towards a bad situation for yourself.

They may as well have just openly stated we aren't going to contribute towards our own downfall, thanks for asking. Can a person be morally, ethically, or legally *compelled* to answer questions? I would say this is a situation they've both given a lot of thought to and found a way to beat the system somewhat by only outputting literal verbal garbage.

JMO MOO

From TLV FB:

Hi all, the Inquest into disappearance of Marion Barter will resume at the end of May for three days.
Coroner Theresa O'Sullivan has announced it will take place on 31 May 2023 at 10am in Lismore Court. A new episode of The Lady Vanishes podcast will be out this week. We will of course be there and update you every step of the way. Alison @7NewsAustralia @7newspodcasts #TheLadyVanishes

DdH was more of 'dunno...', 'can't remember...'. Her word also means nothing IMO.
At the time of her questioning at the inquest, and knowing nothing else about them or about any of it, I saw DdH as someone who was coercively controlled. She seemed not used to or confident in having a view, opinion or memory of anything, or to have any independent thought especially where it was about her controller. She was incapable of giving a Yes or No answer.

A lot of water has gone under a lot of bridges since then, which makes me want to watch her evidence again in that light.

From TLV FB:

Hi all, the Inquest into disappearance of Marion Barter will resume at the end of May for three days.
Coroner Theresa O'Sullivan has announced it will take place on 31 May 2023 at 10am in Lismore Court. A new episode of The Lady Vanishes podcast will be out this week. We will of course be there and update you every step of the way. Alison @7NewsAustralia @7newspodcasts #TheLadyVanishes
Does anyone know the process when the Inquest is resumed?
Ie before it was paused all parties had made their submissions and the Coroner was due to hand down her findings. With the inquest resuming does it pick up where it left off, or does it go back a step and continue to hear submissions from counsel, and possibly call further witnesses?

3 days seems longer than simply hearing the coroner hand down her findings. Yet if there are further submissions or witnesses then the coroners findings could be delayed even longer which also isn't great for Sally :-(

At the time of her questioning at the inquest, and knowing nothing else about them or about any of it, I saw DdH as someone who was coercively controlled. She seemed not used to or confident in having a view, opinion or memory of anything, or to have any independent thought especially where it was about her controller. She was incapable of giving a Yes or No answer.

A lot of water has gone under a lot of bridges since then, which makes me want to watch her evidence again in that light.

Of course, both things can be true. She may well be a party to his crimes *and* be coercively controlled.

With the inquest resuming does it pick up where it left off, or does it go back a step and continue to hear submissions from counsel, and possibly call further witnesses?

3 days seems longer than simply hearing the coroner hand down her findings. Yet if there are further submissions or witnesses then the coroners findings could be delayed even longer which also isn't great for Sally :-

From MPMB Facebook Page today:

The Honorable Teresa O'Sullivan has announced this afternoon that the Inquest into Marion's disappearance and suspected death will resume for three days on 31st May 2023 in Lismore, NSW. These are more hearing days, not the findings.

This is not meant to be cryptic or to have me speak on Sal's behalf but I feel compelled to say that so much goes on behind the scenes in this process, there is so much for Sal to simply deal with, to process in her brain and then have to be totally silent about too at times. So many agendas to balance.

Here's to more answers. More exposure. More justice. Thank you for all of your support.
Joni

From MPMB Facebook Page today:

The Honorable Teresa O'Sullivan has announced this afternoon that the Inquest into Marion's disappearance and suspected death will resume for three days on 31st May 2023 in Lismore, NSW. These are more hearing days, not the findings.

This is not meant to be cryptic or to have me speak on Sal's behalf but I feel compelled to say that so much goes on behind the scenes in this process, there is so much for Sal to simply deal with, to process in her brain and then have to be totally silent about too at times. So many agendas to balance.

Here's to more answers. More exposure. More justice. Thank you for all of your support.
Joni
Thanks @sah10406

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members