Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #53

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listening to Tolini? carry on with his questioning....my thoughts are that he wants absolutely no one chosen for this jury. And furthermore, I am waiting for one of them to cut to the chase,to say " Dude! I'm sitting on top of the fence! Can't you see me? "

Secondly....he has the audacity to constantly claim Dear Gannon as a "dead innocent eleven year old kid" I cringe when he speaks.

MOO

Allen asked potential jurors if they can put media information they've previously consumed on this case to the side. Several potential jurors said they could. One said they are already trying to wipe their mind clean of past news surrounding this case.
That's quite a mental visual of someone "already trying to wipe their mind clean". It gave me a chuckle.

Law and Crime reports that it will broadcast Stauch trial using the court's webinar feed beginning April 3.

https://twitter.com/cathyrusson
Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
Mar 9
Letecia Stauch in court today for final pretrial hearing ahead of trial. We CAN broadcast this trial. The caveat is we can only use the court's webinar feed. Won't be perfect but we know there is a ton of interest in this case. Openings April 3rd. #GannonStauch

We are back for the second half of today's jury trial. The next 1.5 hours should be taken up by Voir Dire, where the prosecution and defense each get 45 minutes to ask the remaining potential jurors questions. We are starting off with the prosecution.

Voir dire will give a bit of insight into what each set of attorneys are looking for in an optimal juror for this trial.

A lot of questions about media exposure from Allen, and if the current crop of potential jurors are able to separate the news they've seen from the evidence and testimony that will be presented at trial. None of the remaining people are indicating that would be a problem.

Some other topics of conversation from Allen include the importance of a motive in assuming someone's guilt or not, as well as if potential jurors can stay engaged for the entirety of this potential trial. A wide range of answers to all questions thus far.

Specifically, on the topic of motive - which Allen has been talking about for nearly 10 minutes now - many potential jurors are split on if motive would be an issue or not in providing a guilty verdict.

On to the defense's voir dire, Josh Tolini is spending the first chunk of his time pressing potential jurors on hardships they have and if they could truly be here for a full 6-8 weeks without any issues.

The importance of perceived bias is being brought up again by Tolini, but this time under the light of presumption of innocence. "You have to come in here presuming she (Stauch) is innocent.”

Clearly, the #1 concern for Tolini at the moment is grilling pretty much every potential juror on if they could truly presume someone is innocent when the allegations against Stauch are as horrific as they are. A few people admitted it would be "hard" or "difficult.”

At the end of Tolini's voir dire, he got a handful of potential jurors to admit that they find the plea of not guilty by reason of insanity as not a legitimate defense in general. "I think it's for cowards," one woman remarked.

Lunch is over. Court is back in session. Jury selection resumes.

.@4thJudicialDA Michael Allen speaking to the potential jurors, asking questions about how jurors interpret bias. Allen says he is looking for a good juror for this case in particular.

Allen asked potential jurors if they can put media information they've previously consumed on this case to the side. Several potential jurors said they could. One said they are already trying to wipe their mind clean of past news surrounding this case.

While speaking to potential jurors, DA Allen was about to compare Stauch to the Aurora mass shooter case. Defense immediately objected to that characterization. After a brief discussion with Judge Werner, Allen moved off from discussing the Aurora shooter.

Prosecution is done. #LeteciaStauch defense counsel is now asking questions of potential jurors.

Defense starts asking about potential hardships if they were to serve on the #LeteciaStauch jury. Defense attorney doesn't want jurors to experience potential hardships serving on a jury. But his 'only obligation is to that woman right there' - as he points to Letecia.

Potential juror told defense she is from Fountain and a part of the Facebook group, 'Find Gannon.' Remembers keeping an eye out for Gannon back in early 2020 before his remains were found in FL. Potential juror said “we were all looking for the kiddo.”

Defense discussing the brutal evidence in this case, can potential jurors handle observing autopsy photos of a decomposing 11-year old child?

Defense asks potential jurors, is guilty by reason of insanity a 'BS' excsuse? Multiple jurors agree that insanity is used as an excuse for their actions. #LeteciaStauch pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity for Gannon Stauch's murder.

Is this trial going to be on Court tv? I thought "No Cameras" for this trial?
Last week the Court released an Order they are allowing rebroadcasting of the trial via the Court's virtual hearing system WebEx, and reporters can live tweet from inside the courtroom.

So no, it's not the same as cameras in the courtroom (violation of statute) but it's a special allowance by the Court for this trial. Also, Law & Crime announced they will be rebroadcasting the WebEx during the trial.

Listening to Tolini? carry on with his questioning....my thoughts are that he wants absolutely no one chosen for this jury. And furthermore, I am waiting for one of them to cut to the chase,to say " Dude! I'm sitting on top of the fence! Can't you see me? "

Secondly....he has the audacity to constantly claim Dear Gannon as a "dead innocent eleven year old kid" I cringe when he speaks.

MOO

I've not listened to the jury selection today but I do know that Colorado is one of the 11 states in which the burden of proof in an insanity case lies with the state. That means it’s up to the prosecution to demonstrate that LS was sane at the time of his crime. LS previously entered an NGRI defense.

IMO, I think Tolini's questioning is in part to recognize the burden of the prosecution here after the defense took the NGRI position. JMO.

Last edited:

3/20/23

Jury selection is expected to last up to two weeks, with an expected start of evidence presentation no later than April 3, and about six weeks of trial for the presentation of the case.

As is normal in Colorado courts, media coverage of the events will be limited. Judge Greg Werner is allowing one member of the print media and one from electronic media in the courtroom for jury selection. As of right now, no cameras will be allowed in the courtroom to cover the actual trial process. However, anyone can watch using the virtual courtroom option from the El Paso County court system.

The judge expressed his opinion of the biggest obstacle in the jury selection process will be jurors claiming hardship for being involved in such a long case, and in his experience, concerns about the nature of the case and the age of the victim. Concerns about pre-trial publicity were considered secondary as the court does not expect to find people who have never heard about the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni