CA - Elizabeth Holmes (Theranos) Wire Fraud Thread *Guilty* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling there will be a huge revolt if he allows the entitled, rich, caucasian Felon to play the mommy card where tens of thousands of women from different social strata have to adhere to their prison terms, often without anyone else to even take care of their kids.

I would predict this would not go over well with many advocacy groups, let me tell you.

I reviewed Jen Shah's sentence, she took a plea deal, and received 6.5 years. I also looked at Jared Fogle's sentence, 15.5 years. Both took federal plea deals, that would have received far more time if they had gone to trial and been found guilty.

If EH had just made a deal, I bet her sentence would have been half what it is now, or less.

In my notes I have:

3/17/23 Update: Holmes returned to federal court in San Jose, Calif. on Friday asking to delay her report date to prison next month while she appeals her conviction. A lawyer for Holmes cited several reasons explaining why she’s not a flight risk which included her young children & that she’s been free on bail for more than a year without fleeing. However, the government pointed to a one-way ticket Holmes & her partner, Billy Evans, had booked to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico days after her conviction. Holmes is also fighting with prosecutors over how much restitution she should pay. Prosecutors want her to pay nearly $900 million while Holmes argues the government failed to prove investors relied on her representations. U.S. District Court Judge Edward Davila plans to make a ruling on both motions in early April.

Wondering IF the Judge made a ruling yet? I have not found anything on the court site links that I have.

Anything in the local papers? TIA if you can find something! :)

She is supposed to surrender on 4/27/23.

In my notes I have:

3/17/23 Update: Holmes returned to federal court in San Jose, Calif. on Friday asking to delay her report date to prison next month while she appeals her conviction. A lawyer for Holmes cited several reasons explaining why she’s not a flight risk which included her young children & that she’s been free on bail for more than a year without fleeing. However, the government pointed to a one-way ticket Holmes & her partner, Billy Evans, had booked to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico days after her conviction. Holmes is also fighting with prosecutors over how much restitution she should pay. Prosecutors want her to pay nearly $900 million while Holmes argues the government failed to prove investors relied on her representations. U.S. District Court Judge Edward Davila plans to make a ruling on both motions in early April.

Wondering IF the Judge made a ruling yet? I have not found anything on the court site links that I have.

Anything in the local papers? TIA if you can find something! :)

She is supposed to surrender on 4/27/23.

4/7/23

Holmes, 39, appeared before Davila last month along with her lawyers in an effort to persuade the judge to allow her to remain free while she pursues her own appeal. Davila hasn’t ruled on Holmes’ request yet.

4/7/23

Holmes, 39, appeared before Davila last month along with her lawyers in an effort to persuade the judge to allow her to remain free while she pursues her own appeal. Davila hasn’t ruled on Holmes’ request yet.

Thanks - I did not think the Judge ruled on that yet.

And will check the article you @LinasK posted on the other thread! Thanks!

A Judge denied Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes' request to remain free on bail while she appeals her conviction on charges of defrauding investors in the failed blood-testing startup that was once valued at $9 billion
She is scheduled to surrender on April 27.

"Accordingly, even if the Ninth Circuit finds error in this ruling, it is unlikely that it would result in a reversal or a new trial on all of Ms. Holmes' convicted counts."
https://documentcloud.org/documents/23772578-2023-04-10-order-denying-dckt-1757_0

https://reut.rs/3zN6No3

In an order filed late Monday, U.S. federal district court judge Edward Davila said Holmes must report to prison on April 27.

The surrender date of April 27 afforded Holmes to remain out of custody for the delivery of her second child.

The court is still expected to rule on the government's request for Holmes to repay Theranos investors to the tune of nearly $900 million. The figure, prosecutors argued, represents the full extent of investments made over the course of Theranos' existence. Attorneys for Holmes characterized the dollar amount as egregious given that Holmes was convicted of defrauding only some of the investors who backed the startup.

U.S. Assistant Attorney Robert Leach argued that every dollar invested in Theranos should be repaid to its various investors.

So glad to read that she will NOT be out while awaiting her appeal... :)

EH could borrow a page from Balwani's playbook and appeal Judge Davila's decision for an immediate stay to delay her report date another couple of weeks but that is all it will be -- a week or so delay. Clearly, the appellate will opine as Davila and the earlier higher court decision for SB that it's not likely that the appellate would result in a reversal or a new trial on all of Ms. Holmes' convicted counts. MOO

Curious about the over/under on whether Holmes will turn herself in on April 27 or make a desperate play to leave to US and go into hiding with her two children. I'm assuming she's wearing an ankle monitor with GPS, but those can be defeated or cut off. Hope the Feds are alert to this possibility.

The British slang term "scarper" (past tense: scarpered) comes to mind. A rough American equivalent might be "get the Hell out of Dodge" or "scram" or "beat it!".

Curious about the over/under on whether Holmes will turn herself in on April 27 or make a desperate play to leave to US and go into hiding with her two children. I'm assuming she's wearing an ankle monitor with GPS, but those can be defeated or cut off. Hope the Feds are alert to this possibility.

The British slang term "scarper" (past tense: scarpered) comes to mind. A rough American equivalent might be "get the Hell out of Dodge" or "scram" or "beat it!".
Yeah, I think she's a flight risk- considering that she bought one-way plane tickets to Mexico.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member