CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been stated before that the DNA at the scene of Sonias murder is an admixture. Wondering if this has impeded LE in being able to compare the sample to other crimes?

Considering how much blood was left outside on the porch for all to see, I'm not surprised there was blood on the car too. Does this say brazen or sloppy?

Regarding gloves and premeditation... For one thing we know almost nothing of the weapon used. Does this mean the killer brought one, as this would indicate preplanning. Bringing gloves or other items would also of course indicate preplanning but then the killer left their DNA somewhere in the mix as it were. Did they get carried away in a frenzy or was there a stalker/romantic/SA component?

I wish there was more info about the DNA. What kind it was, where it was found would really be telling as to what went on. Will we ever hear news that LE has done something with it?

The recent case in Idaho has me thinking of Sonia, the FBI being involved, the manner in which the attacks took place etc. Not saying it's related but it's frightening!

Whiterhino, as far as I recall the weapons used in Sonia's case and also in Audrey's case have not been found. Or at least, LE hasn't said anything. It seems to me that BOTH of those were planned killings. Also was a weapon found in Shelley Loder's case? We know she was brutally beaten but with what?

In the bright days of summer (rather than the dull grey days of Shelley's and Audrey's cases) how did Sonia's killer escape completely unnoticed? This has been bothering me for years. In fact I had a nightmare the other night about the killer, covered in blood and wearing a GM mechanic's outfit - I think I combined Sonia with Audrey's Camaro in the dream - getting out of Sonia's car in broad daylight. In my dream, he simply walked away!

In light of today’s announcement by Toronto Police that 2 cold cases were solved using DNA, I thought I would investigate Othram Labs in Texas who helped Toronto Police solve the case. If I understand correctly, there was DNA evidence found by police at Sonia Varaschin’s murder site or her body. On Othram’s website there is a link that says “Solve Your Case”.
See for yourself:
Can it be that easy???
I clicked on the link and it took me to a new site

There are “go fund me style “ cases which show that you can help solve a crime by donating money. It would appear that for $7500 you can solve a crime. Please take a look. If this is the case, does this mean we could literally raise $7500 and ask OPP or Orangeville Police to submit the DNA and solve this case???
Is this fee the only thing that prevents Sonia’s case from being solved?????

In light of today’s announcement by Toronto Police that 2 cold cases were solved using DNA, I thought I would investigate Othram Labs in Texas who helped Toronto Police solve the case. If I understand correctly, there was DNA evidence found by police at Sonia Varaschin’s murder site or her body. On Othram’s website there is a link that says “Solve Your Case”.
See for yourself:
Can it be that easy???
I clicked on the link and it took me to a new site

There are “go fund me style “ cases which show that you can help solve a crime by donating money. It would appear that for $7500 you can solve a crime. Please take a look. If this is the case, does this mean we could literally raise $7500 and ask OPP or Orangeville Police to submit the DNA and solve this case???
Is this fee the only thing that prevents Sonia’s case from being solved?????
I've visited that site and had the exact same question. The only thing standing between closing cases and giving closure to victims and families is about $8000?

There are similar services and technologies offered by different labs that test independently and privately for a fee.

I don't believe it's as simple as raising funds though. I know there are cases where LE have given over possession of DNA but there are probably a lot of boxes to check off first.

Whiterhino, as far as I recall the weapons used in Sonia's case and also in Audrey's case have not been found. Or at least, LE hasn't said anything. It seems to me that BOTH of those were planned killings. Also was a weapon found in Shelley Loder's case? We know she was brutally beaten but with what?

In the bright days of summer (rather than the dull grey days of Shelley's and Audrey's cases) how did Sonia's killer escape completely unnoticed? This has been bothering me for years. In fact I had a nightmare the other night about the killer, covered in blood and wearing a GM mechanic's outfit - I think I combined Sonia with Audrey's Camaro in the dream - getting out of Sonia's car in broad daylight. In my dream, he simply walked away!
I've always imagined that Sonias killer did all of this in the wee hours of the morning like around 2 or 3 a.m. Not sure why but I'd just always thought this was done in the dark.

Your dream sounds like an episode of Hannibal! I suggest taking a break if you're having vivid nightmares about these cases.

If I understand correctly, there is a $50,000 reward being offered for information leading to the arrest of the person who killed Sonia Varaschin. Othram labs could process the DNA and give police the information for only $7500. That makes me wonder why this hasn’t been done. Why not spend some of the reward money and possibly find out who did it? Is there no info in any data base that helps find the killer or is the DNA sample not good enough to get results using today’s technology? Something doesn’t add up. I hope answers have been provided to Sonia’s family.

If I understand correctly, there is a $50,000 reward being offered for information leading to the arrest of the person who killed Sonia Varaschin. Othram labs could process the DNA and give police the information for only $7500. That makes me wonder why this hasn’t been done. Why not spend some of the reward money and possibly find out who did it? Is there no info in any data base that helps find the killer or is the DNA sample not good enough to get results using today’s technology? Something doesn’t add up. I hope answers have been provided to Sonia’s family.
I don't think Othram or LE can do things in that way but I get what you're saying.

Why didn't the FBI do something with the DNA? It's so frustrating.

Was there DNA collected also from Shelley’s attack and Audrey’s murder? If so, have they been compared? Was the DNA from Sonia’s murder put into world wide databases? Are we looking at a first time offender here? It almost seems unlikely. JMO

Was there DNA collected also from Shelley’s attack and Audrey’s murder? If so, have they been compared? Was the DNA from Sonia’s murder put into world wide databases? Are we looking at a first time offender here? It almost seems unlikely. JMO
There is no "world wide data base".

IMHO these womens attacks and murders were not committed by the same individual and I feel it's irresponsible to continue trying to put them all together as it takes away from each victims case.

What I find odd it that the FBI were involved on some level in Sonias case. We've been told there was DNA evidence in her case, an admixture IIRC. So what happened?! The FBI was right there.

My condolences to the victims families.

2010​

''Det.-Insp. Mark Pritchard of provincial police said the killer was likely familiar with the Caledon area where the body was found.

The killer may have increased his alcohol or drug use and likely shied away from others after the crime, Pritchard said Thursday, adding investigators have received some 460 tips from the public.''

"I'd say he's a cold-blooded killer. He killed somebody who we'd consider a very low-risk victim and (he) engaged in some very high-risk behaviours."

Criminal profilers from the FBI's Behavioural Analysis Unit in Virginia recently met with investigators on the case -- along with experts from the provincial police and RCMP.

The meeting -- described by police as an investigative summit -- also included senior homicide detectives from the provincial police force as well as from the York Region, Ottawa and Toronto forces.
'Former FBI profiler Clint Van Zandt talks about the criminal profile of the person who may have killed Orangeville, Ont., nurse Sonia Varaschin'''

Last edited:

2010​

''Det.-Insp. Mark Pritchard of provincial police said the killer was likely familiar with the Caledon area where the body was found.

The killer may have increased his alcohol or drug use and likely shied away from others after the crime, Pritchard said Thursday, adding investigators have received some 460 tips from the public.''

"I'd say he's a cold-blooded killer. He killed somebody who we'd consider a very low-risk victim and (he) engaged in some very high-risk behaviours."

Criminal profilers from the FBI's Behavioural Analysis Unit in Virginia recently met with investigators on the case -- along with experts from the provincial police and RCMP.

The meeting -- described by police as an investigative summit -- also included senior homicide detectives from the provincial police force as well as from the York Region, Ottawa and Toronto forces.
'Former FBI profiler Clint Van Zandt talks about the criminal profile of the person who may have killed Orangeville, Ont., nurse Sonia Varaschin'''

The fact that all hands were on deck for Sonias murder and yet the killer is still out there might only bolster the killers confidence.

Has it ever been revealed the reason why so many police forces were involved? Why Ottawa, York and Toronto? Is there a pattern or just sharing resources?

DNA database (from wiki)

Created in 2002, INTERPOL's DNA database currently contains more than 247,000 profiles contributed by 84 member countries. Our DNA database can match profiles in just minutes to internationally link and solve crimes such as rape, murder and armed robbery.

And couldn't LE have access to this:

Last edited:
I’m still floored by the way the car was parked right back in Orangeville. And no one saw anything. Where did the blood-covered person go after parking her car? Did he have another car waiting for him? Did LE do a thorough search of the ravine behind her house?
There are rumours in town started by an employee at the local Tim Hortons (a few hundred meters from where Sonia’s car was abandoned) who worked there the night/morning of the murder. They claim that a patron left the bathroom sink area covered in blood. Not sure how true it is, and still searching for the original employee who made the statement.

Washroom, T.H.

Noting, FWIW.
Feb 23, 2023 rbbm
''In December, police issued a public safety alert about Williams, releasing his mugshot and listing the names he uses on internet dating sites, after he was charged with additional sex-related charges involving a third woman.

Investigators repeated their warning Thursday that they believe there could be more complainants and encouraged them to contact police.''

''He goes by the following aliases online: Will Stevenson, Will Stephens, Will S. Will, Where there is a Will there is a way and Will Si.''

Apologies for serial posting.rbbm
AUDIO.
March 20 2023 by By Fil Martino
''Nadine Giguere went to college with Sonia. She said her friend was kind and loving and made friends everywhere she went. She continues to ask, “Who could have done this?”

“It’s just really sad to think how her life ended,” said Giguere.

Detective Inspector Shawn Glassford with the Ontario Provincial Police is working on Sonia’s case. He said it is not too late for people to come forward with information about this unsolved crime.

“Don’t worry you are not going to be judged by keeping something to yourself for 12 years. Absolutely not. We want that piece of information. I truly believe the community is going to help up solve this case,”
said Detective Inspector Glassford.

The Government of Ontario is offering a reward in the amount of $50,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for the murder of Sonia Varaschin.

Police say they have received more than 1,500 tips from the public, but continue to search for the “one piece of information that will lead to an arrest.”

They are urging anyone with information about this case to given them a call. You can also contact Crime Stoppers with any tips anonymously.''

Thanks for posting this dotr! The podcast (available via CityNews) gives a good summary/overview of Sonia's case for folks who are new here or who may have forgotten some of the big details. For me, I found it helpful to hear from Det. Glassford that LE still has Sonia's car (one of the 3 crime scenes) impounded, and recently conducted another examination of the vehicle to ensure all evidence has been collected. (I keep thinking about potential fingerprints on that rearview mirror! Sonia was not tall and maybe the mirror and/or seat were adjusted without thinking? Any chance there was a bloody trace?) I feel a wee sprig of hope springing....

Glassford also commented on how technology advances quickly, and so there's indeed hope that the DNA they have (he said) can give more info over time.

It was also worth listening to the podcast to hear Sonia's friend speak of their friendship and the experiences they shared especially in their college days. It's another reminder of how loved and lovely Sonia was. I know we know that already. But it's still a little bit of feel-good memory at a wearisome time, especially as we wait and wait and wait for answers in Sonia's case.

Apologies. I'm not sure why the url won't specifically copy over. The CityNews podcast is "Tracking a Killer: The Cold Case Files | S2:EP7 - Sonia Varaschin " by journos Fil Martino and Maddison Fitzpatrick.

Just to clarify: Glassford says he doesn't consider Sonia's case a "cold case."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members