UT - Gwyneth Paltrow sued over ski collision at Deer Valley Resort in 2016 - trial, March 2023 *GP Not Guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifindedout

Reaction score
The actress and businesswoman was present in the Park City, UT courtroom as a jury was seated and opening statements began in the case. Terry Sanderson, 76, has accused her of crashing into him and causing him serious injuries while they were both skiing on a Utah mountain in Feb. 2016.

There's also daily coverage of the trial over on Law & Crime: WATCH LIVE: Gwyneth Paltrow ski crash trial

The actress and businesswoman was present in the Park City, UT courtroom as a jury was seated and opening statements began in the case. Terry Sanderson, 76, has accused her of crashing into him and causing him serious injuries while they were both skiing on a Utah mountain in Feb. 2016.

There's also daily coverage of the trial over on Law & Crime: WATCH LIVE: Gwyneth Paltrow ski crash trial
I must admit my own personal feeling for Ms. Paltrow is one of dislike. Therefore my first instinct on reading the thread title was "sheesh she's rich why on earth wouldn't she take care of some senior's medical bills if she knocked him down and out on a mountainside?"

Now that I've read that his opening demand was for in excess of THREE million dollars and that she has counter sued claiming he is the one who plowed into her from behind I am interested to see what witnesses and evidence are introduced.

That was a pretty high ask even for some broken ribs and a head injury. Curious to see if the plaintiff can prove his case. Thanks for the thread, will follow this trial just out of that curiosity.

I’m not a fan of GP either but I’m puzzled by several things so far…

1) This apparently took place on a beginner slope and yet Mr Sanderson has stated he has 30 yrs experience so what was he doing on a beginner’s slope?
2) If CR is correct and GP ran into Sanderson and screamed before hitting him causing him to look just in time to see it, why did no one else see the collision? Wouldn’t the scream have gotten other people’s attention as well?
3) Why did Sanderson refer to a GoPro video in a post and yet no one seems to have that video?

I haven’t seen much of the testimony yet - these questions came more from things I’ve read about the trial than any direct evidence or testimony.

By the way, does anyone know where we might have access to the statements given at the ski resort the day of the accident?

1) This apparently took place on a beginner slope and yet Mr Sanderson has stated he has 30 yrs experience so what was he doing on a beginner’s slope?
RSBM
Possibly because he had suffered a stroke six years before the accident, and wanted to (or had to) confine himself to the "bunny hill". From Insider:
Owens [Paltrow's attorney] also raised questions about whether Sanderson's reported health issues actually stem from the crash at all, since he suffered a "stroke-like event" and lost vision in his right eye six years earlier.

MOO

Deer Valley is famous for out of control skiers. It is the same ski resort where Tony Danza almost died, crashing into a tree while skiing.

The runs at Deer Valley are graded and groomed to be easy to cruise on skis, which make them much easier for people who are not great skiers, look like pros. It also makes them dangerous, because unskilled skiers can start flying down the slopes, going way too fast for their skill level. Most skiers stay away from Deer Valley, it is too expensive and skiing there isn't fun for higher skilled skiers, because there are so many out of control skiers to avoid.

That baby deer look though? What the?
She did not stand when intro-ed to the jury,rolling her eyes a lot ,held a book over her face when exiting court.
MOO

Last edited:
Deer Valley is famous for out of control skiers. It is the same ski resort where Tony Danza almost died, crashing into a tree while skiing.

The runs at Deer Valley are graded and groomed to be easy to cruise on skis, which make them much easier for people who are not great skiers, look like pros. It also makes them dangerous, because unskilled skiers can start flying down the slopes, going way too fast for their skill level. Most skiers stay away from Deer Valley, it is too expensive and skiing there isn't fun for higher skilled skiers, because there are so many out of control skiers to avoid.
While it is expensive, it is no more dangerous than a Vail or Heavenly. Like most ski resorts, you encounter beginners on Beginner trails. Highly skilled skiers stay on the parts of the mountain that have the most Expert runs. The Bandana run is a funnel point for both skier types because it is the easiest way to get to Empire/ Lady Morgan lift and the Montage from Northside.

Gwyneth Paltrow trial over ski collision enters second day in Utah

(...)

Though the court is not publishing a witness list, attorneys said Wendell Gibby and Sam Goldstein, a radiologist and neuropsychologist, would probably be called to testify on Wednesday.

Sanderson’s lawyers said they expected to call four witnesses total on Wednesday and left open the possibility one could be Paltrow, depending on when others expected to testify arrive in Park City.

Gibby and Goldstein have appeared as expert witnesses for Sanderson, who has said he broke ribs and sustained brain damage from the crash. Attorneys have argued over whether Sanderson’s problems stemmed from the crash or are merely byproducts of ageing.

Both parties blame the other for the collision and claim they were crashed into from behind, relying on a little-known Utah law stipulating that whoever is downhill has the right of way when skiing and snowboarding.

Paltrow’s attorneys have asked the judge, Kent Holmberg, to enact special restrictions throughout the actor turned wellness tycoon’s trial. Paltrow has used a blue notebook to shield her face from view when entering and exiting the courtroom.

(...)

Seems little interest here on WS on this trial or is there another thread? I have never seen such poor opening statements...I sure hope the lawyering gets better....Plaintiff reading was just too much..how many years has he had to get up to speed on this trial...I felt like he has just got the case. Other opinions?

Seems little interest here on WS on this trial or is there another thread? I have never seen such poor opening statements...I sure hope the lawyering gets better....Plaintiff reading was just too much..how many years has he had to get up to speed on this trial...I felt like he has just got the case. Other opinions?
I have read a moderate amount on this case. Just my opinion, the fact that multiple lawyers passed on taking this gentleman’s lawsuit means it will be very hard to win this case in court. I also believe she would have settled if she were at fault. This is all my own speculation.

I have read a moderate amount on this case. Just my opinion, the fact that multiple lawyers passed on taking this gentleman’s lawsuit means it will be very hard to win this case in court. I also believe she would have settled if she were at fault. This is all my own speculation.
i agree....this should have been settled out of court for all concerned. Now his estranged daughter will be a witness for GP? Nothing adds up here...just wait until they get people up there talking about his lifestyle since the event...international trips etc. etc. I don't think she is enjoying being in that courtroom at all and the fact that he can not even sit at the table with his attorneys....well I think that will speak volumes for the jury. Apparently it is only 8 people and verdict does not need to be unanimous. Clearly TS could not get very good lawyers and my opinion is still out on GP's guy. The witness Ramon yesterday was in my opinion awful and even Alex M. was smart enough to say "if the transcript says that I will not dispute that" but he just kept on contracting the depo taken much closer to the event. TS is excited to be "famous"

I feel it is very telling that she countersued for $1.00

suggests to me she feels she is right and the counter suit is simply to illustrate that she will not be held up for money she genuinely feels she does not owe this man. It suggests to me that she feels strongly that this man is full of BS and holding her up because she is famous. His initial ask of over 3 million sort of makes me feel the same.

That baby deer look though? What the?
She did not stand when intro-ed to the jury,rolling her eyes a lot ,held a book over her face when exiting court.
MOO

She’s an actress.

I feel it is very telling that she countersued for $1.00

suggests to me she feels she is right and the counter suit is simply to illustrate that she will not be held up for money she genuinely feels she does not owe this man. It suggests to me that she feels strongly that this man is full of BS and holding her up because she is famous. His initial ask of over 3 million sort of makes me feel the same.
Also telling some of his messages immediately post "crash" were something to the effect "I am famous"!!!

IMO not a very good one and not the only actor in the courtroom:

Sanderson said that he was skiing at a regular pace down the hill when, "I heard this hysterical scream like you never hear on a ski run ... like King Kong came out of the jungle or something."

LINK

Plaintiff is currently asking $300K. It would be easier to simply pay that amount. To the Defendant that is literally nothing. chump change. I think for her it is a) about the principal and b) a chance to be on camera and what celebrity can resist that?

Radiologist testifying right now. Not sure he is qualified to talk in depth about traumatic brain injuries. He is an expert on imaging (maybe) but not a neurologist. MOO

Plaintiff is currently asking $300K. It would be easier to simply pay that amount. To the Defendant that is literally nothing. chump change. I think for her it is a) about the principal and b) a chance to be on camera and what celebrity can resist that?

Radiologist testifying right now. Not sure he is qualified to talk in depth about traumatic brain injuries. He is an expert on imaging (maybe) but not a neurologist. MOO
yes I question a radiologist talking about brain injuries. I am thinking this trial will go longer than days.

so this radiologist reviewed the records of the MDs and other neurologists but himself is just a radiologist and he is offering testimony as an expert? I am so confused. Why not have an actual neurologist give expert opinion? Or could the Plaintiff not find one willing to testify on his behalf?

and now the radiologist is testifying that he is of the opinion that based on the injuries and the anecdotal info supplied by the Plaintiff to various treaters and outlined in medical reports, that Paltrow hit Sanderson. Excuse me fella but I would like to hear from the accident reconstructions about this aspect of the case.

Objection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member