Found Deceased WA - Meshay Melendez, 27 & daughter, Layla Stewart, 8, Vancouver, 12 Mar 2023 *vehicle found Mar 19*

im guessing he picked the child up that same night after midnight, March 12.
The quote Lucy posted from an article implies the friend saw Meshay in the car at 8pm when warren picked Layla up.

I could be wrong, that’s just how I’m reading it. Also trying to separate what I’ve learned from social media vs msm. Either way, wish the guy would’ve at least left the daughter alone. Don’t know what his thinking was —didn’t want to return to Arkansas but committed terrible crimes in WA….both would lead him to jail…

The quote Lucy posted from an article implies the friend saw Meshay in the car at 8pm when warren picked Layla up.

I could be wrong, that’s just how I’m reading it. Also trying to separate what I’ve learned from social media vs msm. Either way, wish the guy would’ve at least left the daughter alone. Don’t know what his thinking was —didn’t want to return to Arkansas but committed terrible crimes in WA….both would lead him to jail…
yes, i went through it again and it looks that way. I feel like its misreported one side or the other.

Hi everyone. Newbie here. I usually lurk, but comment a lot on cases local to me. Karmen and Layla were local to me.

If this man was out on bail in AR, and got a RO from Karmen in WA before the murder.....why did they not realize this man was not allowed outside of Arkansas and violate his bail? If they had, Karmen and Layla would still be alive.

ETA: AND was arrested in Vancouver in December for another crime...they never ran his name?

Last edited:
The last person to see Melendez and her daughter, a friend of Melendez, told police the two were with Melendez’ boyfriend, Kirkland Warren, on March 12, the day they were reported missing, according to court documents. The friend told police they saw Melendez in Warren’s vehicle, “unresponsive and naked from the waist down,” court documents state, and that Warren retrieved Melendez’ daughter at that time from the friend, who had been watching her.

Warren is currently in jail, arrested on Sunday, March 19 for multiple charges, including violating a no-contact order with Melendez, tampering with a witness and unlawful possession of a firearm.
Bail for Warren was set at $1 million during a court appearance Tuesday and the judge accepted recommendations from the state for GPS monitoring, no-contact orders and a firearm restriction. The judge also revealed Warren was making phone calls from prison, the reason for the witness-tampering charge.

Court documents allege multiple instances of domestic violence, with Warren accused of physically assaulting and shooting at Melendez on Dec. 13, 2022, and a 911 call on Dec. 23, 2022, in which Melendez accused Warren of choking her. He was arrested on March 2 for second-degree assault (domestic violence), drive-by shooting, possession of a stolen firearm and harassment or threat to kill, and released March 10 on $100,000 bail, according to court documents.
First - why is he in WA State when he is charged with murder in Arkansas?

Second - WTF??!!! Why in God's name would you give a child to this man, when you saw the shape her Mother was in? Call 911 with a vehicle description/plate number and report what you saw. Shaking my head over how that even happened?

Did this intentionally retrieve Layla to harm her?

ETA - reading forward I see the friend did call 911 and both have been found deceased :(
But why did he have to kill the child :mad:

Last edited:
So the area she was last seen was a home near 7700 Vancouver Mall Dr and the area where the vehicle was located was near apartments by Kevanna Park, which are around 2-3 miles apart depending on what the exact addresses are. Burnt Bridge Creek runs near Kevanna, several wooded areas nearby including Kevanna Park, Orchards Community Park and the Royal Oaks country club, a couple of small bodies of water (I think minor marshy-type flooding of grassy areas rather than ponds) near the 205-500 exchange and some others further to the west along the 500... There are unfortunately a lot of places to search in this small area.
I know they were found in Washoughal, but...Oh wow. I live in Kevanna Park. This explains the police cars going into the single-family homes area from my condos on 109th. Oh my god. My mind is blown.

I vividly recall waiting on Karmen and baby Layla over 5 years ago when she registered her car at the DOL I worked at. They both have the white hair birthmark. I didn't think it was the same child at first, from the photos, but I knew it was Karmen. Then I saw other photos here, and I realized it was the same baby I remember. Ugh. I am a little triggered, and a LOT angry

Are you local? You know my swamp well lol. Not Royal Oaks, IMO, it is more a private complex. They have pretty good security and cameras there. Kevanna park itself...
well it's a pass through, to get to the homeless camp behind the auto places. Daytime only kinda park, very, very small. Orchards Park is quite a ways from kevanna Park, IMO. But that damn creek affects the whole county. But she wasn't near Orchards Park.
i feel so sad and sick

I wonder if her car was left on 109th, we just had a "sweep" this week to tow all the stolen/dumped cars. But I saw the police going into the neighborhood behind Fairview Apartments this week, more than three.

You described the swampy areas off of the creek perfectly.

This story is local to me, and watching the 5:00 PDT newscast, there is not good news.

Hey neighbor.
Are you in the couve, or PDX area? I am in Vancouver. Kevanna Park

This story is local to me, and watching the 5:00 PDT newscast, there is not good news.

Hey local, Me too. Are you in Clark County, or PDX.

we have some issues, don't we?

I know they were found in Washoughal, but...Oh wow. I live in Kevanna Park. This explains the police cars going into the single-family homes area from my condos on 109th. Oh my god. My mind is blown.

I vividly recall waiting on Karmen and baby Layla over 5 years ago when she registered her car at the DOL I worked at. They both have the white hair birthmark. I didn't think it was the same child at first, from the photos, but I knew it was Karmen. Then I saw other photos here, and I realized it was the same baby I remember. Ugh. I am a little triggered, and a LOT angry

Are you local? You know my swamp well lol. Not Royal Oaks, IMO, it is more a private complex. They have pretty good security and cameras there. Kevanna park itself...
well it's a pass through, to get to the homeless camp behind the auto places. Daytime only kinda park, very, very small. Orchards Park is quite a ways from kevanna Park, IMO. But that damn creek affects the whole county. But she wasn't near Orchards Park.
i feel so sad and sick

I wonder if her car was left on 109th, we just had a "sweep" this week to tow all the stolen/dumped cars. But I saw the police going into the neighborhood behind Fairview Apartments this week, more than three.

I’m in the area once a month or so. Not very local.

The Clark County Sheriff’s Office said it responded to a call in which a passerby had reported seeing what appeared to be two “life-sized mannequins” down an embankment in thick brush. The investigating deputy found two human bodies.

Police from the city of Vancouver, Washington, said their detectives were notified and the bodies are believed to be those of Meshay Melendez, 27, and her daughter, Layla Stewart, 7. Family members have been notified, according to Vancouver police.

i feel so sad and sick

it looked like they may have vitiligo. this crime is so heinous. he could have left that baby where she was :(

The Clark County Sheriff’s Office said it responded to a call in which a passerby had reported seeing what appeared to be two “life-sized mannequins” down an embankment in thick brush. The investigating deputy found two human bodies.

Police from the city of Vancouver, Washington, said their detectives were notified and the bodies are believed to be those of Meshay Melendez, 27, and her daughter, Layla Stewart, 7. Family members have been notified, according to Vancouver police.
Their bodies were dumped over the side of the road like trash :mad:
State prison is too good for this heartless pile of dung. I'm still tying to fathom why he killed Layla, it makes zero sense to me.

RIP Meshay and Layla. I hope this guy rots. To also kill a child? So horrific. I also hope after your tragic ending and Hill's ending, after she pleaded in court to keep him in jail, that WA judges wake up. So tragic, avoidable, and unnecessary. You were failed. I am so sorry.

Why, oh why are these monsters allowed to walk around ??
It is clearly obvious he was a threat to not only Melendez and her daughter, but also a threat to society.
UGH.
RIP beautiful Lady and RIP beautiful little one.
You deserved better than this and this should NOT have happened to you.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back