UT - Gwyneth Paltrow sued over ski collision at Deer Valley Resort in 2016 - trial, March 2023 *GP Not Guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a GP fan, I think she is just an entitled Hollywood weirdo. Also not impressed with her attorney. So far, my impression is that she thinks she is too good to be in that courtroom but that was her choice.....$300,000 is nothing to her so if she is so sensitive about cameras etc. why not just quietly work out a settlement behind the scenes?

Also think he is milking this for all it's worth and if I was a juror I would probably not give either of them anything. JMHO.

She shouldn’t have to work out a settlement if she is not at fault. While $300,000 might be nothing to her it is the principle of the matter. I wouldn’t give him anything at all and would want to clear my name. JMO

I’m not a fan of GP either but I’m puzzled by several things so far…

1) This apparently took place on a beginner slope and yet Mr Sanderson has stated he has 30 yrs experience so what was he doing on a beginner’s slope?
2) If CR is correct and GP ran into Sanderson and screamed before hitting him causing him to look just in time to see it, why did no one else see the collision? Wouldn’t the scream have gotten other people’s attention as well?
3) Why did Sanderson refer to a GoPro video in a post and yet no one seems to have that video?

I haven’t seen much of the testimony yet - these questions came more from things I’ve read about the trial than any direct evidence or testimony.

By the way, does anyone know where we might have access to the statements given at the ski resort the day of the accident?
lots of people might warm up or cool down or return to a lift on a beginner slope... but curious there is no video of the collision- most ski tickets are covered with disclaimers about the sport being inherently dangerous...

from the Deer Vally web site:
This is a winter environment, with many inherent natural and man-made hazards, both in and around the resort’s facilities and on the mountain. Such hazards exist and may or may not be marked. Poles, flags, fencing, signs and padding are for skier awareness and are not a guarantee of safety. Weather and snow conditions are constantly changing. It is up to you to be aware of these conditions and ski in control to avoid obstacles and hazards, whether they are marked or unmarked. Trail ratings represent the degree of difficulty of trails at Deer Valley and may be different than other resorts. Trail difficulty can change as weather and snow conditions change. Deer Valley features many gladed tree skiing areas. Consult a Mountain Host or Ski Patroller for guidance before entering these areas. If you are involved in a skier collision resulting in injury to any person, the law requires you to stop at the scene and render reasonable assistance which may include notifying resort personnel or warding off other skiers while waiting for aid. The law also requires you to give your name and permanent address to a resort employee before leaving the vicinity of the collision.

also:
Your Responsibility Code
  1. Always stay in control. You must be able to stop or avoid people or objects.
  2. People ahead or downhill of you have the right-of-way. You must avoid them.
  3. Stop only where you are visible from above and do not restrict traffic.
  4. Look uphill and avoid others before starting downhill or entering a trail.
  5. You must prevent runaway equipment.
  6. Read and obey all signs, warnings, and hazard markings.
  7. Keep off closed trails and out of closed areas.
  8. You must know how and be able to load, ride and unload lifts safely. If you need assistance, ask the lift attendant.
  9. Do not use lifts or terrain when impaired by alcohol or drugs.
  10. If you are involved in a collision or incident, share your contact information with each other and a ski area employee.

Winter sports involve risk of serious injury or death. Your knowledge, decisions and actions contribute to your safety and that of others. If you need help understanding the Code, please ask any ski area employee.

Slow Zones
There are designated slow ski areas indicated on the trail map. Look out for skiers around you and be able to stop or avoid people or objects. These places are high skier traffic areas so please slow down while skiing through them.

a one day adult lift ticket costs $269 this March

pretty standard stuff IMO. Wonder if these two people collided "diagonally" so no one was exactly down hill? I do wonder why there is no video.

lots of people might warm up or cool down or return to a lift on a beginner slope... but curious there is no video of the collision- most ski tickets are covered with disclaimers about the sport being inherently dangerous...

This is a winter environment, with many inherent natural and man-made hazards, both in and around the resort’s facilities and on the mountain. Such hazards exist and may or may not be marked. Poles, flags, fencing, signs and padding are for skier awareness and are not a guarantee of safety. Weather and snow conditions are constantly changing. It is up to you to be aware of these conditions and ski in control to avoid obstacles and hazards, whether they are marked or unmarked. Trail ratings represent the degree of difficulty of trails at Deer Valley and may be different than other resorts. Trail difficulty can change as weather and snow conditions change. Deer Valley features many gladed tree skiing areas. Consult a Mountain Host or Ski Patroller for guidance before entering these areas. If you are involved in a skier collision resulting in injury to any person, the law requires you to stop at the scene and render reasonable assistance which may include notifying resort personnel or warding off other skiers while waiting for aid. The law also requires you to give your name and permanent address to a resort employee before leaving the vicinity of the collision.

also:
Your Responsibility Code
  8. You must know how and be able to load, ride and unload lifts safely. If you need assistance, ask the lift attendant.
  10. If you are involved in a collision or incident, share your contact information with each other and a ski area employee.

Winter sports involve risk of serious injury or death. Your knowledge, decisions and actions contribute to your safety and that of others. If you need help understanding the Code, please ask any ski area employee.

Slow Zones
There are designated slow ski areas indicated on the trail map. Look out for skiers around you and be able to stop or avoid people or objects. These places are high skier traffic areas so please slow down while skiing through them.

pretty standard stuff IMO. Wonder if these two people collided "diagonally" so no one was exactly down hill? I do wonder why there is no video.

Nice thinking outside the box - Good point.

Your point practically erases Sanderson's lawsuit.

Wonder if these two people collided "diagonally" so no one was exactly down hill?

Any person downhill from you has the right of way. Sanderson claims that he was downhill from Paltrow, thus, it was her responsibility to watch out for him and give him the right of way.

Paltrow claims Sanderson is the one who ran into her, I wonder if she is claiming that she was downhill from him?

Establishing who was downhill is important.

Last edited:
Not a GP fan, I think she is just an entitled Hollywood weirdo. Also not impressed with her attorney. So far, my impression is that she thinks she is too good to be in that courtroom but that was her choice.....$300,000 is nothing to her so if she is so sensitive about cameras etc. why not just quietly work out a settlement behind the scenes?

Also think he is milking this for all it's worth and if I was a juror I would probably not give either of them anything. JMHO.
i have to think there were many attempts to settle this. He started with $3 million and now down to $300,000? I don't think she wants to be there...arrogant sure both she and her attorney are but I also see her point if she really feels this guy is not being fair. He got a concussion but I think most of the rest is fabricated and his mental demise is not her problem. I don't think he will win this case. He needs to show up in court. His family will be paraded on the stand...I can't imagine this is worth this to him.
She shouldn’t have to work out a settlement if she is not at fault. While $300,000 might be nothing to her it is the principle of the matter. I wouldn’t give him anything at all and would want to clear my name. JMO
this whole case is a joke....girlfriend on yesterday added next to nothing other than she really did not know him and it seemed their relationship fell apart not because of the ski accident but he had another woman lined up named Robin. This gets stranger and stranger.I can't stand gp's attorney but I hope she wins.

also:
Your Responsibility Code

Slow Zones

even more dangerous if you don't have vision in one eye and are 70+ years old.Sorry but his story stinks.

Interestingly, Deer Valley is one of only three ski slopes in the U.S. that don't allow snowboarding. The others are Alta nearby but on the other side of the Wasatch Range, and Mad River Glen in Vermont. It seems strange why GP would choose a resort where the kids couldn't snowboard. MOO

It’s strange that she didn’t stand up. Regardless of height that says ‘entitlement’. What’s the significance of her being taller?

News this evening is reporting that she is being perceived as aloof and non relatable. I agree, her actions and demeanor point to her thinking she is above all of these commoners.

Nice thinking outside the box - Good point.

Your point practically erases Sanderson's lawsuit.

Wonder if these two people collided "diagonally" so no one was exactly down hill?

Any person downhill from you has the right of way. Sanderson claims that he was downhill from Paltrow, thus, it was her responsibility to watch out for him and give him the right of way.

Paltrow claims Sanderson is the one who ran into her, I wonder if she is claiming that she was downhill from him?

Establishing who was downhill is important.
They say she screamed.
How can you know to scream if someone is uphill -behind- you? Eyes back of head?
He was face down in the snow immediately post the collision.
IMO she was uphill of him & screamed right as she was going to slam into him.
I think her throwing shade on the court (allowed)photographer and blue notebook thing are laughable.It’s not like Johnny Depp fans are jockeying for a go at her.
She’s over acting this role.

MOO

yes 300k is not much for GP, but she's suing not just for $1, but for attorney fees. It's been 7 years of fees - that's gotta be a lot. A lot of ski passes, that is!

We need Skigirl and BeginningSleuther to interpret the neuroradiologist's opinions about non-symptomatic hydrocephalus and frontal lobe function! Where are you, our brain experts?

Last edited:
It’s strange that she didn’t stand up. Regardless of height that says ‘entitlement’. What’s the significance of her being taller?

News this evening is reporting that she is being perceived as aloof and non relatable. I agree, her actions and demeanor point to her thinking she is above all of these commoners.
She’s bigger/taller than him so jury might think she could do some damage.
Speculation & JMO

yes 300k is not much for GP, but she's suing not just for $1, but for attorney fees. It's been 7 years of fees - that's gotta be a lot. A lot of ski passes, that is!

We need Skigirl and BeginningSleuther to interpret the neuroradiologist's opinions about non-symptomatic hydrocephalus and frontal lobe function! Where are you, our brain experts?
Tagging them so they see your post ^

@BeginnerSleuther

@Skigirl

Tagging them so they see your post ^

@BeginnerSleuther

@Skigirl

Hi, I haven't been keeping up with this story/trial. I'll have to read or watch his testimony. Is there a WS-approved source that has a transcript? If not, I'll try to find it online.

this whole case is a joke....girlfriend on yesterday added next to nothing other than she really did not know him and it seemed their relationship fell apart not because of the ski accident but he had another woman lined up named Robin. This gets stranger and stranger.I can't stand gp's attorney but I hope she wins.

Totally agree. And everyone saying he isn't doing it for the money.... did they miss HER stating he basically is CHEAP and doesn't like to spend money? My words. I think she used 'spendthrift' or something. Waiting for transcript. They didn't travel all the much for being retired. She stayed at his house. Sounds very onesided. And another girlfriend right away.... While i'm not a GP fan, i find this guy NOT likable either.

They say she screamed.
How can you know to scream if someone is uphill -behind- you? Eyes back of head?
He was face down in the snow immediately post the collision.
IMO she was uphill of him & screamed right as she was going to slam into him.
I think her throwing shade on the court (allowed)photographer and blue notebook thing are laughable.It’s not like Johnny Depp fans are jockeying for a go at her.
She’s over acting this role.

MOO
I find Paltrow thoroughly unlikeable and Sanderson thoroughly incredible. I believe she should stand in the courtroom when etiquette demands. I believe he should BE in the courtroom period.

As to the alleged scream, I think Paltrow's stance is that if a scream occurred it was when Plaintiff barreled into her from behind (allegedly). As to the radiologist who apparently doubled as both a neuropsychologist and an accident reconstructionist yesterday (eyeroll) - I don't buy his version of how Plaintiff's version of events is more likely than her version based on the injuries.

I think most folks even if they've never skied, can imagine how arms legs and yes, skies becomes tangled up when a collision happens. If Plaintiff hit Defendant from behind her elbows or other body parts could easily be responsible for his broken ribs. Him hitting the ground with force, him hitting his head into the back of hers very hard, or her landing on top of him after a tangled up fall could easily explain his alleged TBI in my mind with it still being his own dang fault ultimately.

But the first hurdle is establishing the accident happened as Plaintiff describes, second hurdle is establishing he has a TBI, and finally that a TBI is the result of this incident.

Sanderson's own need for attention could be his undoing (MOO). That I'm famous text to his daughter and a 3.1 million ask initially has soured me on this "victim".

Everyone else will get their own mileage but that's my take so far.

I haven't been able to find a description of the neuropsych report or the scans, but if it's true that he had a stroke and loss of vision in one eye (or was it one field of view, which would be more typical) some years before the accident, then the vision change could cause him to miss objects in his visual field and cause an accident, and the previous stroke would obviously be an issue from a cognitive perspective. Without looking at his 2009 scans, I don't know how anyone could know whether whatever damage is present now was or was not present before the accident. Furthermore, in peoples' 70s, changes in cognition are hugely variable, with some people experiencing much greater decline than others, and with men experiencing earlier declines than women. So, to the extent that he's showing some memory issues, that wouldn't be surprising even without a previous stroke or TBI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie