GUILTY IN - Kegan Anthony Kline, 27, arrested Aug 29, 2020, 30 Counts associated with CSAM

It will be interesting to see how the new rule will pan out. If the courts aren't currently sharing their cases with the public through live streams, I doubt that they'll be real excited to have the media in the court rooms. I think it will take a lot of push from the media to make it a common occurrence.

I strongly advocate for transparency; if court cases are open to the public, then they should be made available to the entire public... not just those who are able to go to the courthouse. The same holds true for our court records.

I’m not so sure we’re going to hear much, if anything, related to Delphi at KAK’s trial. I think it might be deemed too prejudicial, especially in that KAK has not be charged in Delphi.
I would think KAK’s dad would take the fifth and not answer questions about Delphi and maybe not about the CSAM.
I do wonder…sort of…if KAK will be hit with Delphi charges after this trial. That maybe LE was asked by the prosecutor to hold off so as not to prejudice this trial. If KAK is involved in Delphi that is the only reason I can think of why he hasn’t been charged yet. If he is not charged after this trial, KAK is not involved, in my opinion. They have had him since 2020, they know one way or another by now.

I’m not so sure we’re going to hear much, if anything, related to Delphi at KAK’s trial. I think it might be deemed too prejudicial, especially in that KAK has not be charged in Delphi.
I would think KAK’s dad would take the fifth and not answer questions about Delphi and maybe not about the CSAM.
I do wonder…sort of…if KAK will be hit with Delphi charges after this trial. That maybe LE was asked by the prosecutor to hold off so as not to prejudice this trial. If KAK is involved in Delphi that is the only reason I can think of why he hasn’t been charged yet. If he is not charged after this trial, KAK is not involved, in my opinion. They have had him since 2020, they know one way or another by now.
JAK's testimony, actually seeing him and hearing him speak is the main draw for me in KAK's trial. They have KAK dead to rights on his charges, IMO. There's really no doubt, with the child data evidence, he's a predator. I'm very surprised he hasn't made a plea bargain by now.

“Any guilty plea would be without a plea agreement from the State, and the sentence would be determined entirely at this Court’s discretion,” Alwine wrote in her response to the defense’s motion. Alwine did not object to a change of plea hearing.

I do think it’s interesting that in the defense motion filed it says

”That the parties have negotiated a proposed resolution to this cause of action.”

But the prosecution responded that there is no plea deal.

So which is it?
Just a guess but maybe he intends to plead guilty to the charges, in exchange for sentencing leniency, like on the light side of the parameters. And not pleading guilty to lesser charges with a light/no sentence, the typical plea we often see.

JMO

Ok, so no word yet on the nature of that change of plea? It will be interesting to see what this means. Is he making a plea deal with the prosecutor in exchange for testimony, etc.? It says they've reached a "resolution".

Prosecution is stating change of plea is not a result of any plea deal. It may‘ve come about as a result of some of the existing charges being somewhat reduced and 5 of them dropped. According to this, the State is anticipating the change of plea will be “guilty” (really not much else a not guilty plea could be changed to).

“Kline hasn’t agreed to a plea deal with the state, as outlined in a response filed Monday afternoon by Deputy Prosecutor Courtney Alwine, who said the parties “have not negotiated a proposed resolution.”

“Any guilty plea would be without a plea agreement from the State, and the sentence would be determined entirely at this Court’s discretion,” Alwine wrote in her response to the defense’s motion. Alwine did not object to a change of plea hearing.

Alwine asked the court to convert the scheduled March 30 pretrial conference into a change of plea hearing so that the matter is not further delayed. The state additionally requested the court keep Kline’s jury trial on the schedule until a guilty plea is entered.”

Pleading guilty instead of not guilty really is quite common in my experience. If I understand correctly, it means that there is nothing he's exchanging for his plea. Meaning there is no deal on the table, he's pleading guilty to avoid a drawn out trial where he'll be found guilty and spend the next however many months in a crappy jail cell, when he already knows he's going to prison and prison is typically preferred to jail. Although for crimes against children, is there really a better place for predators? Maybe that isn't playing a part in this case.

Pleading guilty instead of not guilty really is quite common in my experience. If I understand correctly, it means that there is nothing he's exchanging for his plea. Meaning there is no deal on the table, he's pleading guilty to avoid a drawn out trial where he'll be found guilty and spend the next however many months in a crappy jail cell, when he already knows he's going to prison and prison is typically preferred to jail. Although for crimes against children, is there really a better place for predators? Maybe that isn't playing a part in this case.
I think he is expecting something in return, i.e. lesser charges, room with a view.

Moo
What a dumb@$$, he waited until the prosecution had done major work preparing for a jury trial. I think his attorney has probably been trying to convince him for a long time that he shouldn't go to trial and shouldn't wait until the last minute. The prosecution may agree to drop some of the charges but the sentencing will not be part of any agreement. I hope the judge hammers him at sentencing.

"Kline hasn’t agreed to a plea deal with the state, as outlined in a response filed Monday afternoon by Deputy Prosecutor Courtney Alwine, who said the parties “have not negotiated a proposed resolution.”

03/20/2023Motion Filed
Motion to Lift Pretrial Conference and Jury Trial and Schedule for a Change of Plea Hearing
Filed By:
Kline, Kegan A.
File Stamp:
03/20/2023
03/20/2023Response to a Petition Filed
Response to Defendant's Motion filed March 20, 2023
Filed By:
State of Indiana
File Stamp:
03/20/2023
03/20/2023Order Issued
The Court Orders the pretrial hearing that has been scheduled to take place on 3/30/23 at 10:00 a.m., converted to a change of plea hearing. Said hearing shall take place on an in-person basis. The Court declines to lift the jury trial at this point. However, the Court will entertain a renewed request for the same at the conclusion of the change of plea hearing if circumstances then warrant the making of such a request.

Order Signed:
03/20/2023

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/c...case/531-525e7bc0-cc55-4968-bbd5-3dca1c47b7c0

MIAMI COUNTY, Ind. — Kegan Kline filed a motion Monday to schedule a change of plea hearing in the child *advertiser censored* case.

Kline is facing 25 charges, including child exploitation, possession of child *advertiser censored* and obstruction of justice.
Prosecutors and defendants both agreed to the change of plea hearing on March 30, when a pretrial hearing was previously scheduled.

According to court records, Kline admitted to creating the fake, online "anthony_shots" profile to meet underage girls and receive explicit photos.

Kline has been held at the Miami County Jail for more than two years, awaiting a jury trial that was originally set for Jan. 18, 2023, but is now scheduled to start May 10, 2023.

Ahead of the trial, prosecutors filed the state's witness list, which includes Kline's father, Jerry; Vincent Kowalski, the model and police officer whose photos were used on the "anthony_shots" social media account; Barbara MacDonald, the producer behind HLN's "Down the Hill" podcast; law enforcement officers; and a Riley Hospital doctor.

Ahead of the trial, prosecutors filed the state's witness list, which includes Kline's father, Jerry; Vincent Kowalski, the model and police officer whose photos were used on the "anthony_shots" social media account; Barbara MacDonald, the producer behind HLN's "Down the Hill" podcast; law enforcement officers; and a Riley Hospital doctor.
:oops: A Riley Hospital doctor as a witness??

Murder Sheet has 2 new podcasts up; one for KAK and one for RA's attorney.

In the 2020 KAK arrest affidavit, it says that the FBI told the ISP Cyber Crimes unit about an adult male using the online persona, "a_shots," to solicit underage females via SM platforms. The subpoenas that led to the Peru house could have been previously carried out by the FBI, or later, by the ISP, it isn't clear on the affidavit. It also isn't clear exactly when the FBI informed the ISP of "a_shots," except that it was during the investigation of an ISP case, which was redacted. Some assumed that the case was the Delphi case, but it could have been something else...we don't know.

We know KAK was questioned about Delphi back in 2017, then again in 2020, but clearly has not been charged with anything related, at this point.

But the question still remains - why was KAK not charged with CSAM back in 2017? Did it take three years to go through his devices, maybe using technology not available in 2017? He lived in Vegas during some of that time. Was LE watching him? He has one charge from 5/14/2020. Was there nothing of evidentiary value related to CSAM between early 2017 and mid 2020? Then, when he's finally arrested on CSAM, he's once again questioned about Delphi? Before his arrest he was back-dating FB posts to make it look like he was in Vegas on 2/13/17? Why? All that time went by without him being arrested, moving to Vegas, moving back to Peru, a free man, not on the public's radar at all, yet he was still actively trying to cover his tracks for Delphi? Was LE pursuing him all that time? It doesn't make sense.

He went three years without being charged with anything. Then his CSAM stuff gets intermingled with Delphi stuff. It's a mess. Then, his court process is motion after motion after motion. I get that the justice system takes time, but by most accounts, this seems extreme. Now the defense and prosecution can't agree if there's a plea deal? I just want to know what the freak is going on with KAK and his CSAM case, regardless of any possible Delphi connection.

Last edited:
State’s Potential Witness List and Exhibit List re KAK’s trial

One of KAK's victims, Juvenile 10, is on the list. He was communicating with her before the murders.

The co-hosts of the Murder Sheet have said that that KAK’s credibility may be called into question when his Las Vegas roommate, Derk Hayes, is called to the witness stand to dispel any claims KAK made about his residence in Nevada in the year after investigators first raided his home and seized electronic devices days after the Delphi killings.

”Kegan attempted to throw his friend under the bus for the accusations going against him, so I think Derk will be there basically to share his side of the story and push back against that,” said Cain, recalling Kline’s claim that his friend may have used his social media account. “Kegan’s strategy seems to be to say, ‘No, I didn’t do it on my phone, somebody must have stolen my phone and did these things.’”

Prosecution lists witnesses in case against suspect linked to Delphi murders investigation

Update and charges as they are currently:

03/23/2023Motion Filed
Motion to Reorder and Renumber Counts and Amend Information
Filed By: State of Indiana
File Stamp: 03/23/2023

Charges​

Show all charge details
0105/17/201635-42-4-4(b)(4)(B)/F5: Child Exploitation with intent to arouse or satisfy the sexual desires of any
0202/25/201735-42-4-4(d)/F5: Possession of Child *advertiser censored* with an aggravating factor found in 35-42-4-4(e)(1
0302/25/201735-42-4-4(d)/F5: Possession of Child *advertiser censored* with an aggravating factor found in 35-42-4-4(e)(1
0402/25/201735-42-4-4(d)/F5: Possession of Child *advertiser censored* with an aggravating factor found in 35-42-4-4(e)(1
0502/25/201735-42-4-4(d)/F6: Possession of Child *advertiser censored*
0602/27/201735-42-4-4(d)/F6: Possession of Child *advertiser censored*
0702/25/201735-42-4-4(b)(4)(B)/F5: Child Exploitation with intent to arouse or satisfy the sexual desires of any
0802/25/201735-44.1-2-2(a)(3)/F6: Obstruction of Justice def. knowingly or intentionally in an official proceedi
0902/25/201735-44.1-2-2(a)(3)/F6: Obstruction of Justice def. knowingly or intentionally in an official proceedi
1002/26/201735-44.1-2-2(a)(3)/F6: Obstruction of Justice def. knowingly or intentionally in an official proceedi
1105/14/201635-42-4-4(c)/F6: Possession of Child *advertiser censored* possession of photos, etc. showing sexual conduct b
1205/14/201635-42-4-4(b)(4)(B)/F5: Child Exploitation with intent to arouse or satisfy the sexual desires of any
1302/25/201735-42-4-4(d)/F6: Possession of Child *advertiser censored*
1402/25/201735-42-4-4(d)/F5: Possession of Child *advertiser censored* with an aggravating factor found in 35-42-4-4(e)(1
1502/25/201735-42-4-4(d)/F6: Possession of Child *advertiser censored*
1602/25/201735-42-4-4(d)/F6: Possession of Child *advertiser censored*
1702/25/201735-42-4-4(d)/F6: Possession of Child *advertiser censored*
1802/25/201735-42-4-4(d)/F6: Possession of Child *advertiser censored*
1902/25/201735-42-4-4(d)/F6: Possession of Child *advertiser censored*
2002/17/201735-42-4-4(b)(2)/F5: Child Exploitation Disseminate, exhibit, or offer to do so; send or bring into I
2102/17/201735-42-4-4(b)(2)/F5: Child Exploitation Disseminate, exhibit, or offer to do so; send or bring into I
2202/17/201735-42-4-4(b)(2)/F5: Child Exploitation Disseminate, exhibit, or offer to do so; send or bring into I
2302/17/201735-42-4-4(d)/F6: Possession of Child *advertiser censored*
2402/17/201735-42-4-4(d)/F6: Possession of Child *advertiser censored*
2502/17/201735-42-4-4(b)(2)/F5: Child Exploitation Disseminate, exhibit, or offer to do so; send or bring into I
2607/14/201635-43-5-3.8(a)/F6: Synthetic Identity Deception def. knowingly obtains, possesses, transfers, uses s
2705/14/201635-43-5-3.8(a)/F6: Synthetic Identity Deception def. knowingly obtains, possesses, transfers, uses s
2805/14/202035-42-4-4(b)(2)/F5: Child Exploitation-Disseminate, exhibit, or offer to do so; send or bring into I
2905/14/201635-42-4-6(b)/F5:Child Solicitation , but solicitation is to engage in fondling or touching. Def 18+
3002/25/201735-42-4-4(d)/F5: Possession of Child *advertiser censored* with an aggravating factor found in 35-42-4-4(e)(1

Here are the ones that were dismissed:

* Dismissed 11, 24, 15, 18, 4
11* 05/14/2016 35-42-4-4(c)/F6: Possession of Child *advertiser censored* possession of photos, etc. showing sexual conduct b
24* 02/17/2017 35-42-4-4(d)/F6: Possession of Child *advertiser censored*
04* 02/25/2017 35-42-4-4(d)/F5: Possession of Child *advertiser censored* with an aggravating factor found in 35-42-4-4(e)(1
15* 02/25/2017 35-42-4-4(d)/F6: Possession of Child *advertiser censored*
18* 02/25/2017 35-42-4-4(d)/F6: Possession of Child *advertiser censored*

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998