UK UK - Finn Creaney, 32, dropped off Loch Naver, Sutherland to start hillwalking route, 25 Mar 2022

The fact that Mr Creaney actually ran a Bushcraft and Survival school gives some hope that he will be found or perhaps return of his own volition. One other poster mentioned about a friend dropping him off and that surely there would be discussion about the route Mr Creaney would be walking. Certainly, I would agree with this. Just as an aside, I do wish people would think to leave a written route with family or friend if they do venture out. This is not meant as a criticism, but as a suggestion for people who often go into the wilderness. I'm perhaps wrongly assuming that none of Mr Creaney's possessions (that he took with him that day) have ever been found. I thank the other posters for the information about Mr Creaney, for his family's sake I do hope he is found soon.

The fact that Mr Creaney actually ran a Bushcraft and Survival school gives some hope that he will be found or perhaps return of his own volition. One other poster mentioned about a friend dropping him off and that surely there would be discussion about the route Mr Creaney would be walking. Certainly, I would agree with this. Just as an aside, I do wish people would think to leave a written route with family or friend if they do venture out. This is not meant as a criticism, but as a suggestion for people who often go into the wilderness. I'm perhaps wrongly assuming that none of Mr Creaney's possessions (that he took with him that day) have ever been found. I thank the other posters for the information about Mr Creaney, for his family's sake I do hope he is found soon.

You are presuming that after nearly a year with no contact he is still alive? I think it unlikely.

You are presuming that after nearly a year with no contact he is still alive? I think it unlikely.
I am presuming nothing, I HOPE there is a chance Mr Creaney could still be found alive, even after a year. Given the skillset the gentleman had.
Why have none of his personal items been found? If he had anything like a Bushcraft knife for example, it would have to be somewhere. This is what I find the most puzzling.

Why have none of his personal items been found? If he had anything like a Bushcraft knife for example, it would have to be somewhere. This is what I find the most puzzling.
He was carrying a knife with him (as well as a water bottle and blanket poncho). I think the most likely answer to your question is that those items are still on his person and that's why they've not been found separately.

It's such a huge search area with barely anybody around, and he was wearing natural coloured clothing. It's sad but not very surprising to me that he hasn't been found yet. I hope it won't be too much longer.

THE family of an Easter Ross man posted missing more than 10 months ago has thanked a Highland YouTuber who has made a video in a bid to assist the search.

Finn Creaney, from the Tain area, was last seen around 2.15pm on Friday, March 25 at Altnaharra in Sutherland near Loch Naver.

David McMurdo says Finn's story resonated strongly with him.He said: "If I hadn't made this video, I'd have been disobeying my conscience, and as I keep saying, that's something you should just never do."

Mr McMurdo, who is from Caithness, uses footage posted by 33-year-old Finn and his family in the 40-minute documentary. Included is footage put together by Finn on his own YouTube channel, Wildcat Buchcraft.

He asks the question: "How does a fit young man who is also a highly skilled survivalist disappear in an area of land the terrain of which is relatively mild?"

[...]

He addresses possibilities including the theory that Finn may have chosen to abandon his current life. He says that Finn "is very like me" and says that he too would choose to turn off his mobile phone while out exploring.

Finn Creaney.

"There are people that have abandoned perfectly loving families and never felt the least bit bad about doing so. But does this man do that? Does this man abandon his wife and child? Does he leave his father to wander the wilderness looking for him for months on end? Does he leave both family and friends in a hellish state of uncertainty concerning his whereabouts? Absolutely not.

"This man does not do that. The only way this man does that is if he suffers some kind of mental break."

He notes loving mentions to his father, wife and daughter in his videos.

"I'm convinced that Finn was very happy with his life."

[...]

‼️‼️ SHARE AND REPOST ITS BEEN 356 DAYS SINCE FINN WAS LAST SEEN‼️‼️

We want to be reunited with Finn as soon as possible!! It's been 11 months since Finn was last seen and we just want him home!! LETS NOT MAKE IT TO 1 FULL YEAR WITHOUT THAT WONDERFUL SOUL! Share and repost it really does help! One person with the right information could change everything and get Finn home!

He is described as 5'11" tall, of slim build, with light complexion and freckles on his arms and nose. He has long brown hair down to his lower back and a full brown/ginger beard.
He was last seen wearing a long brown leather jacket slightly aged and its a replica of Aragorns ranger outfit from LOTR. He also has a green wool poncho and green Berghaus rugsack with him, he's also wearing brown walking boots going above the ankle!! (Similar to Hanwags)

“Anyone who may have seen Finn or have any information at all is urged to contact Search for Finn Creaney Facebook OR Police Scotland on 101 or speak to any officer quoting reference 0912 of 28 March.”

Screenshot_20230316-074559_Chrome Beta-01.jpeg

It has been one year since Finn Creaney was last seen setting off for a planned walk in Sutherland.

Inspector Chris Murray said: “Finn Creaney has now been missing for a year and we know what a difficult period this has been for his family and friends. Finn was dropped off near to the Caravan Club on the north side of Loch Naver with the intention of walking across country to Golspie.

"Finn had completed many adventures like this previously and the outdoor lifestyle is his passion.

“We know the feeling of concern for him is shared by people across the Highlands and we are grateful to them for their continued support of our enquiries

“Extensive searches and enquiries have been carried out, sadly so far without success, and we will continue to act on any new information received.

"I would thank the public who have already been in touch and also encourage anyone who thinks they may have seen something, or has any information they feel relevant to make contact with us on 101, quoting reference number 0912 of 28 March, 2022.”

The family of a man missing for a year have vowed to never give up searching for him.

Finn Creaney, from Tain, hasn’t been seen since heading off on a wilderness challenge walk at Loch Naver in Sutherland on March 25, 2022.

His wife Lucy said her greatest wish is to have him home to meet their baby son Bran, who he has never met. She was 31 weeks pregnant when she last saw her husband.

His last message to her was sent as he headed off on a weekend adventure in the wilds of Sutherland, but he never came home.

Finn Creaney has been missing for a year.
Lucy said: “We have been together for nine years, we got married the year before.

“We said we wanted to get married before we had another child because we have our lovely daughter Luna, and we got married and literally a month later we were pregnant.

“We wanted a baby boy, and we had a scan two weeks before he went missing and found out that’s what we were having.”

She added: “I never told people about Bran at the very beginning because I wanted Finn to meet him before everyone else, and for many months even friends didn’t meet him.

“You can’t keep him cooped up, but I just want them together and want their dad home.”

[...]

I noticed that there's a footbridge marked on OS maps to the east of Loch Naver which doesn't actually exist.
8HGn3Qb.png

It's clear to see from google streetview that there is no bridge there.

If I was looking at that map to plan a route from Loch Naver to Golspie, my route would go over that bridge and onto the east side of the Mallart river. Walking through Naver forest on the east side of the river looks like it has a better path most of the way and also avoids any of the river crossings which would be on the other side.

I wonder how Finn would have planned his route? If he had also seen the bridge on a map and planned to cross I wonder what he would have done when he found there wasn't a bridge there? I think he had memorised his route and was navigating without a map so it would have been difficult to make alternative plans.

Every week, Finn Creaney’s father gets off a train in the north Highlands and hikes into the wilderness.

Mark Creaney walks until his feet can’t take him any further, scanning the land for clues as he goes.

After three or four nights of camping and searching he heads back home to Inverness to recuperate and gather more supplies.

And then he makes the same journey again.

It’s a pattern he has followed almost religiously since the disappearance of his son on March 25, 2022.

And it’s one he’ll keep doing until he finds out what happened. The agony of not knowing

The searches for Finn have covered a huge area, more than 3,500 square miles. And the terrain is rugged and unforgiving.

There are mountains, moors, cliffs, lochs, rocks and bogs.

[...]

“You never feel like you’re doing all you can,” said Mark, 56. “You worry you’ve gone over the wrong ridge, you should be going somewhere else.

“But I would go barmy if I wasn’t doing this. Being proactive and being out there, it calms me down.

“It’s an odd mindset. Every day you don’t find him, it’s a good day.

“But you’re frustrated because you still aren’t getting answers.”

[...]

Mark has put aside his career as a self-employed wood carver to devote himself to the search.

His journey on foot begins each week when he arrives at Kinbrace train station, 86 miles north of Inverness.

The odds of a happy ending to this case lengthen with each passing day, but Finn’s father still believes his son is alive somewhere.

Mark said: “We talk all the time about what could have happened. We’ve asked every question, considered every permutation and still haven’t got to the bottom of it.

“But I get to choose how I feel about it. I know Finn, I know how confident and skilled he is.

“I feel he’s still out there, still alive..."

[...]

Every week, Finn Creaney’s father gets off a train in the north Highlands and hikes into the wilderness.

Mark Creaney walks until his feet can’t take him any further, scanning the land for clues as he goes.

After three or four nights of camping and searching he heads back home to Inverness to recuperate and gather more supplies.

And then he makes the same journey again.

It’s a pattern he has followed almost religiously since the disappearance of his son on March 25, 2022.

And it’s one he’ll keep doing until he finds out what happened. The agony of not knowing

The searches for Finn have covered a huge area, more than 3,500 square miles. And the terrain is rugged and unforgiving.

There are mountains, moors, cliffs, lochs, rocks and bogs.

[...]

“You never feel like you’re doing all you can,” said Mark, 56. “You worry you’ve gone over the wrong ridge, you should be going somewhere else.

“But I would go barmy if I wasn’t doing this. Being proactive and being out there, it calms me down.

“It’s an odd mindset. Every day you don’t find him, it’s a good day.

“But you’re frustrated because you still aren’t getting answers.”

[...]

Mark has put aside his career as a self-employed wood carver to devote himself to the search.

His journey on foot begins each week when he arrives at Kinbrace train station, 86 miles north of Inverness.

The odds of a happy ending to this case lengthen with each passing day, but Finn’s father still believes his son is alive somewhere.

Mark said: “We talk all the time about what could have happened. We’ve asked every question, considered every permutation and still haven’t got to the bottom of it.

“But I get to choose how I feel about it. I know Finn, I know how confident and skilled he is.

“I feel he’s still out there, still alive..."

[...]

Reminds me a bit of Esther Dingley's boyfriend searching until he found her. Same mindset - he couldn't rest until he found her. I followed that thread because I've spent time in the Scottish hills and mountains. There were many theories put forward but in the end, there was no mystery, sadly, no happy ending either. At least, they now have an explanation and got to say goodbye. I do find it strange that they've found no trace of Finn or any of his equipment. Let's hope he turns up somehow and can reunite with his family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Lee
Back