TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

I have learned from watching true crime, that families need to continue to put pressure on the police to get the case solved. The police do respond to families concerns and continued calls, etc. I don't know if the Barraza family is applying that kind of pressure: if they are not, there is a good chance this case will languish in the cold case files for a very long time, perhaps forever. Some of the cases I have seen would not have been solved but for the family continuing to put pressure on law enforcement, up to going to the attorney general.

I doubt Sergio is putting pressure on the detectives because he has a new life with a new wife.
That kind of pressure would be up to her parents--- don't know what kind of people they are so who knows if they just go with the flow.

The squeaky wheel------

Last edited by a moderator:
It's like WelshChappie stated-Nissan does not want to provide any information, especially if it is crime-related. I did reach out to a few Nissan forums and from what I can grasp the Pro-4X is at the top price-tier and therefore it may be 10-20% of all sales within the Frontier line. Given that my production tally is nearly a half-million Frontier vehicles sold between 2013-2019, that still leaves 50,000-100,000 potential Pro-4X models on the road from those years. That's a lot of vehicles.

One forum member alluded to the fact that anyone can buy the Pro-4X decal pack online ($18), so if the killer planned this as well as I think, the decals would have been a brilliant curve ball to throw at LE. Nice to see WC here-praying for resolution soon. This person does not deserve to roam free, assuming he/she is not already in jail for something else.

Attachments

• il_1140xN.2213297865_8ee7.jpg
    il_1140xN.2213297865_8ee7.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 2
It’s been alluded by several members here and I concur that this case is in need of a new set of eyes ... a new look by a brand new team of investigators.

IIRC, it’s important to go over the first 20 pages of the initial investigative notes and all your clues are right there. Most of the time you need not look any further. moo

It’s been alluded by several members here and I concur that this case is in need of a new set of eyes ... a new look by a brand new team of investigators.

IIRC, it’s important to go over the first 20 pages of the initial investigative notes and all your clues are right there. Most of the time you need not look any further. moo

You make an excellent point - but of course we have no clue if they are doing what you suggest

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm reaching out to several cold case teams at universities that have forensic programs. I'm not sure if this qualifies as a cold case, but it will certainly be a big challenge for anyone taking it on and I hope that the challenge is something that may attract a good team. So far, I have submitted a request to Western Michigan University, the forensic team that solved the Roxanne Wood case.

I'm reaching out to several cold case teams at universities that have forensic programs. I'm not sure if this qualifies as a cold case, but it will certainly be a big challenge for anyone taking it on and I hope that the challenge is something that may attract a good team. So far, I have submitted a request to Western Michigan University, the forensic team that solved the Roxanne Wood case.
If they need a volunteer or any other program you contact - I am available! ;)

Curious if LE received all of Liz's cellphones? I know for me I've accumulate quite the collection, due to upgrades. moo
I would think that the primary focus phone-wise must be with Liz. Our phones are packed with clues about our normal and not-so-normal daily goings on. She was targeted, as evidenced by the 2am surveillance that was conducted. Now, if a killer was hired to do this there would probably be no connection to her phone records. And even if Liz knew her attacker, again there may be no phone communication between them. We have discussed geofence, but the broader the data request the less likely a judge will grant one. I still think that a major breadcrumb is the Google Maps angle. The person(s) did a preliminary scope of the area and they appeared to get lost when they left, so they were most-likely accessing a mapping app. Well, how many people prior to the crime searched for her street address? Now, I am no expert on mapping apps or even if the perp(s) used one, but they probably didn't stop by a gas station and ask for directions or purchase a old-school paper map. Check out this article on this very subject! I can only pray that 4 years later this information is still available, because Google may have a limited retention period for such data.

"In August, police arrested Michael Williams, an associate of singer and accused sex offender R. Kelly, for allegedly setting fire to a witness' car in Florida. Investigators linked Williams to the arson, as well as witness tampering, after sending a search warrant to Google that requested information on "users who had searched the address of the residence close in time to the arson."

I realize that there are quite a few mapping apps, but this information could be (or could have been) requested from each of them (such as Roadtrippers or Waze). If no searches are found, then perhaps the killer KNEW or WAS GIVEN her address, which could narrow the field of suspects.

Were Liz' street address numbers for her home prominent? If not, how did they know the address? Was that what the drive by at 2am was about?

My point is that this killer left clues, but we have no idea if, and to what degree, LE has pursued them. I think that a lot of "good" hired killers use stolen cars and stolen weapons. They minimize having any links to the crime scene. They also choose lower-risk locations, not neighborhoods with many residents and cameras. The only logical part of the equation was that it was timed very well (luckily?), and folks were not yet out and about.

Pursue the keyword search for 8623 Cedar Walk Drive, Tomball, TX-I think that the answers are there if the search data is still recoverable.

Last edited:
I would think that the primary focus phone-wise must be with Liz. Our phones are packed with clues about our normal and not-so-normal daily goings on. She was targeted, as evidenced by the 2am surveillance that was conducted. Now, if a killer was hired to do this there would probably be no connection to her phone records. And even if Liz knew her attacker, again there may be no phone communication between them. We have discussed geofence, but the broader the data request the less likely a judge will grant one. I still think that a major breadcrumb is the Google Maps angle. The person(s) did a preliminary scope of the area and they appeared to get lost when they left, so they were most-likely accessing a mapping app. Well, how many people prior to the crime searched for her street address? Now, I am no expert on mapping apps or even if the perp(s) used one, but they probably didn't stop by a gas station and ask for directions or purchase a old-school paper map. Check out this article on this very subject! I can only pray that 4 years later this information is still available, because Google may have a limited retention period for such data.

"In August, police arrested Michael Williams, an associate of singer and accused sex offender R. Kelly, for allegedly setting fire to a witness' car in Florida. Investigators linked Williams to the arson, as well as witness tampering, after sending a search warrant to Google that requested information on "users who had searched the address of the residence close in time to the arson."

I realize that there are quite a few mapping apps, but this information could be (or could have been) requested from each of them (such as Roadtrippers or Waze). If no searches are found, then perhaps the killer KNEW or WAS GIVEN her address, which could narrow the field of suspects.

Were Liz' street address numbers for her home prominent? If not, how did they know the address? Was that what the drive by at 2am was about?

My point is that this killer left clues, but we have no idea if, and to what degree, LE has pursued them. I think that a lot of "good" hired killers use stolen cars and stolen weapons. They minimize having any links to the crime scene. They also choose lower-risk locations, not neighborhoods with many residents and cameras. The only logical part of the equation was that it was timed very well (luckily?), and folks were not yet out and about.

Pursue the keyword search for 8623 Cedar Walk Drive, Tomball, TX-I think that the answers are there if the search data is still recoverable.
Thank you for informative article.

Former member WelshChappie provided an explanation in a recent video regarding Elizabeth Barraza name searches.

• Prior to the murder: EB name search remained fairly consistent number of times.
  • Right before the murder (approximately from Dec 2018- January 2019): EB name search increases.
So WHO was searching Liz’s name prior to the murder? This is no coincidence, imo.

Was Liz's address located at the time of name search?

Moo, as I’ve said previously LE know who killed Liz; however, do they need one or two more piece(s) of evidence to tie up the loose ends? Is it only a matter of time before an arrest(s) is made? Moreover, am hopeful that Google (or other search engine) was served with a warrant and coward’s IP address exposed. Killer tried to cover his bases, but thanks to technology he failed, I can be hopeful!

Of course all of this is speculation, moo!

Detectives on this case need the public's help to go from a murder mystery to a murder conviction.

Report crime anonymously by:

• Calling 713-222-TIPS(8477)
  • Using our Mobile App (Download app name: Crime Stoppers Houston)
  • Submitting online here

Just leaving this here…for reference in the event the nest footage is released for our discussion here.

“I had just left for work," Barraza said Wednesday. “I’m just so happy the last words I got to say to my beautiful wife was “I love you.” “And she said 'I love you too.'"

Just leaving this here…for reference in the event the nest footage is released for our discussion here.

“I had just left for work," Barraza said Wednesday. “I’m just so happy the last words I got to say to my beautiful wife was “I love you.” “And she said 'I love you too.'"

Interesting how different SIL & dad personalities/thought process are (moo). Quotes from article:

“I’m just so happy the last words I got to say to my beautiful wife was “I love you.” “And she said 'I love you too.'"

“I had to trade our fifth anniversary for her funeral,” said Barraza.

“This brutal act demands justice,” her father said.

Happy? That's quite weird choice of words considering the circumstances.

Happy? That's quite weird choice of words considering the circumstances.
I agree. From my own experience, one of the last things that I said to my husband before he died was “I love you” but that doesn’t make me feel happy that I said it. He was aware I loved him. Nothing about his death makes me feel happy. From one person who lost their spouse to another, I will never understand Sergio’s thought process during this entire situation.

In my opinion, this crime might have been committed by a neighbor.

I think this for two reasons: First, the ease with which the vehicle was able to leave the neighborhood after the crime suggests to me this person knew the streets of the subdivision. Second, the timing of Elizabeth Barraza's husband Sergio leaving for work makes me wonder why the murderer did not wait around 6 or 8 or 9am?

The following theory is speculation, but this is what I think happened. On the morning of the crime, the murderer left their home in their regular vehicle and went to wherever they kept the Nissan Frontier Pro-4x truck. This might be a storage place, for example. They exchanged vehicles at the storage place. Then they parked in the lot near the school because it is close to where the Barraza's live and waited until they thought Elizabeth was alone. They passed her setting up and confirmed she was outside alone. At this point they make a quick three point turn to turn around and park. They get out and commit the murder then get back to the truck driving away quickly. In the adrenaline filled moment, they cannot remember if they shot her in the right places to make sure she was dead so they turn around the truck and drive back by the crime scene to make sure she is still on the ground. If she lived she may have been able to identify her murderer. This may have even been part of the plan as I believe the Nissan Frontier Pro-4X being in the neighborhood the previous night was for a run through of the crime.

Then the murderer goes back to the storage place(or wherever), replaces the Nissan Frontier Pro-4X truck, and goes back home. If I remember correctly, the crime happened on a Friday, so either this person took off work or does not have a steady full time job. Because of the early morning hour committing this crime, the murderer may have been tired too.

Choosing a Nissan Frontier Pro-4X to commit a murder seems sort of strange unless the vehicle was previously being used for other purposes. Whoever it is might be someone who likes to go camping or hiking and needed the space to haul those items. My opinion is that they already had the vehicle but had gotten a newer vehicle for some reason. A new or used car salesman might remember that they may have asked them what they were currently driving. The Nissan Frontier Pro-4X became their backup vehicle after the new vehicle purchase. Maybe looking for a neighbor who had recently purchased a new vehicle might be helpful(at the time).

This theory is based off of speculation. But from the information that has been released about the crime, this is what I think might have happened.

In my opinion, this crime might have been committed by a neighbor.

I think this for two reasons: First, the ease with which the vehicle was able to leave the neighborhood after the crime suggests to me this person knew the streets of the subdivision. Second, the timing of Elizabeth Barraza's husband Sergio leaving for work makes me wonder why the murderer did not wait around 6 or 8 or 9am?

The following theory is speculation, but this is what I think happened. On the morning of the crime, the murderer left their home in their regular vehicle and went to wherever they kept the Nissan Frontier Pro-4x truck. This might be a storage place, for example. They exchanged vehicles at the storage place. Then they parked in the lot near the school because it is close to where the Barraza's live and waited until they thought Elizabeth was alone. They passed her setting up and confirmed she was outside alone. At this point they make a quick three point turn to turn around and park. They get out and commit the murder then get back to the truck driving away quickly. In the adrenaline filled moment, they cannot remember if they shot her in the right places to make sure she was dead so they turn around the truck and drive back by the crime scene to make sure she is still on the ground. If she lived she may have been able to identify her murderer. This may have even been part of the plan as I believe the Nissan Frontier Pro-4X being in the neighborhood the previous night was for a run through of the crime.

Then the murderer goes back to the storage place(or wherever), replaces the Nissan Frontier Pro-4X truck, and goes back home. If I remember correctly, the crime happened on a Friday, so either this person took off work or does not have a steady full time job. Because of the early morning hour committing this crime, the murderer may have been tired too.

Choosing a Nissan Frontier Pro-4X to commit a murder seems sort of strange unless the vehicle was previously being used for other purposes. Whoever it is might be someone who likes to go camping or hiking and needed the space to haul those items. My opinion is that they already had the vehicle but had gotten a newer vehicle for some reason. A new or used car salesman might remember that they may have asked them what they were currently driving. The Nissan Frontier Pro-4X became their backup vehicle after the new vehicle purchase. Maybe looking for a neighbor who had recently purchased a new vehicle might be helpful(at the time).

This theory is based off of speculation. But from the information that has been released about the crime, this is what I think might have happened.
I’m not sure this makes any sense. So the killer used not just one, but two vehicles they owned? Why would you swap out one vehicle for another vehicle unless one was not connected to you? Most importantly, there is no motive with this theory. I just don’t see how you can have a theory without a motive.

I’m not sure this makes any sense. So the killer used not just one, but two vehicles they owned? Why would you swap out one vehicle for another vehicle unless one was not connected to you? Most importantly, there is no motive with this theory. I just don’t see how you can have a theory without a motive.
I do not know what the motive was for this crime. Knowing the motive would be very helpful. The murderer in this case could probably go to Elizabeth Barraza's funeral or memorials and no one would know any different.

As for having two vehicles the reason you would do this would be to draw police away from investigating neighbors. If you have another vehicle that is not registered in the state, you could pull this off as long as wherever the other vehicle is stored is within approximately a half an hour away. I only guess at that distance because Elizabeth Barraza went to Starbucks on the morning of the crime a little after 6 am and got coffee. This makes me think the murderer had already left to go get the other vehicle or they might have just followed her to Starbucks to shoot her or waited for her to drive back up at her house to shoot her if they knew she was returning for the garage sale.

I understand there are some major problems with the neighbor theory. Other neighbors might have noticed the person who shot Elizabeth Barraza if it was a neighbor. The neighbor would be taking a chance if police knocked on their door asking what they heard or saw and they were not home. Elizabeth Barraza might have referred to the neighbor by name. From everything I have read and seen about this case it seems like police never considered it could be a neighbor, at least publicly. It seemed like they looked for the Nissan Frontier Pro-4X in the neighborhood and if it was not there, then there is no way it could have been a neighbor.

I wonder if the murderer even knew that Elizabeth Barraza went to Starbucks that morning? In my opinion, when people use a vehicle in the driveway as a way to determine whether or not someone is home, you look at the neighbors first.

Liz's family referred to the murderer as plural . Since they are in contact with the LE, I think LE thinks in the same direction as well .

Why do they think there are more than one people involved ?Any thoughts ?
As explained by Arrin Stone in his Yotube channel , the recorded voice which is thought to come from nest cam is a conversation of two people, and it coincides with the time the killer got into the truck. There is a sound like ‘ is she dead ? ‘ and then a laughing is heard. If these sounds are from nest cam, we can say that the killers hacked the nest cam or they entered with a password meaning they had internet connection and is traceable.

Nest cam connection is very telling since it only shows outside. Their intention was to view outside and I think they have knowledge of the garage sale and want to catch Liz outside and alone after Sergio leaves. That's why the log in timings of the Nest Cam that morning are very important and I hope this information is available in LE. Just my opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire