TN - Shooting at private Christian Covenant School, Nashville, suspect dead, multiple victims, 27 Mar 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
True. I’d just rather have seen her languishing in prison forever - might have been a deterrent for the next suicide by cop wannabe. Do the police ever use tasers? I’m not criticising them by the way, that was a seriously powerful bit of footage.
I'm from a LE and Military family and we have had this discussion many times. A taser would have been inappropriate in this situation. They would have been too far away to guarantee a solid strike to bring her down before she shot them. Too risky. She was also too covered up to get a good strike. It is very shocking to know how ineffective tasers are. Many do not react when hit by tasers. She was using deadly force and should be met with the same to protect the officers, the other adults, and the children nearby. She chose her demise. IMO.

Have you ever actually had a conversation with your children about a school shooting? That is what I mean. Should this be a conversation at home with kids?
I work in a school and am also a parent to (now grown) children. We had conversations around the dinner table, sadly, about what to do in an active shooter situation. Here in the school, there are ongoing conversations and "practices" just like tornado and fire drills.

I work in a school and am also a parent to (now grown) children. We had conversations around the dinner table, sadly, about what to do in an active shooter situation. Here in the school, there are ongoing conversations and "practices" just like tornado and fire drills.

Yes. That is sad. I have convos often with my daughter about safety.

No victims directly targeted​

The press conference with Nashville officials has just begun.
Police public affairs director Don Aaron says off the top that there is no current evidence to suggest the shooter targeted any of the individual victims.

"This school, this church building was a target," he says.

Suspect had bought seven guns legally - police chief​

Nashville shooting suspect Audrey Hale had purchased seven firearms legally from five different stores prior to yesterday's tragedy, says Nashville police chief John Drake.

Police have spoken to Hale's family, Drake says, who told authorities Hale had been in treatment for an "emotional disorder".

"Her parents felt she should not own weapons," Drake says.

"She had been hiding several weapons within the house."
Hale was not known to police ahead of the attack.

No reason to take away suspect's guns - police​

Continuing with the press conference, Nashville police chief John Drake says police had no reason to remove the suspect's weapons.

Tennessee does not currently have a so-called "red flag law" that permits officials to remove guns from the possession of people they believe may present a danger to others or themselves.

Drake said if police had been made aware the suspect presented such a danger, they would have sought to do so.

"There's not a law for that," he said, but added that if it "had been made known to us then we would have tried to get those weapons".

But “we had absolutely no idea” the suspect posed any danger - the suspect was not on the police radar in any way before Monday, he said.

Suspect may have had training - police​

Speaking to the media just now, Nashville police chief John Drake says authorities believe suspect Audrey Hale had "training" based on the shooter's behaviour during Monday's attack.

"The suspect was on an upper level, we believe there has been some training to have been able to shoot from a higher level," Drake says. "From the video I've seen she stood away from the glass so she wouldn't be an easy target to be shot."
Audrey Hale was ultimately killed after being shot by officers.

My husband and I were recently discussing this with two recent school shootings in our vicinity (MSU & Oxford). Our kids are elementary age and have had the active shooter drills and training in school. It made me feel overwhelmingly sad that this is as normal to them as a fire or tornado drill was to me as a child. That said, I feel our school is pretty safe in the circumstance of an "outsider" coming to the school. Doors are locked, you have to be buzzed into the school after talking to the office via camera and showing your driver's license. None of the external doors are glass, they're all metal, so it would be harder to just "shoot out." The district has a newly created command center where security can hear activity in any building in real time. There's also a district K9 who is dual purpose - trained support dog for comfort to students and trained to detect explosives & firearms. Even writing about all that makes me even more sad. I suppose it should provide comfort, but it only makes me sad.

Our district recently received a state grant for $1.8M to invest in school safety. The plan includes:
  • Emergency call boxes for the area around the high schools;
  • Enhanced security measures at building entrances;
  • Protective glass;
  • Improved public address systems and mass notifications capabilities;
  • Visitor and emergency management software; and
  • Two-way radio and communications equipment upgrades;
  • Equipment enhancements to the district Command Center.
25 buildings to outfit, 17,000 students, it comes out to around $105 per student in safety spending. Imagine what that money could go toward if we didn't need to worry about mass school shootings.

Parents saw shooter leave home with red bag on day of shooting and asked what was in it, police say​

Mirna Alsharif
Audrey Hale's parents saw them leave the home with a red bag on the day of the shooting, Drake said at a news conference on Tuesday.

"They asked her what was in the red bag and I think she just dismissed it because it was a motherly thing," Drake said, speaking on Hale's mother asking what was in Hale's bag. "And didn't look in the bag because at the time she didn't know that her daughter had any weapons and didn't think any differently."

Drake said Hale was under a doctor's care for an "emotional disorder" and had police known Hale was a danger to themself or others, they would've stepped in.

"There's not a law for that but had if it been reported that she was suicidal or that she was going to kill someone and had it been made known to us, then we would've tried to, to get those weapons," Drake said. "But as it stands, we had absolutely no idea, actually who this person was, if she even existed."

Graphic content warning. This article shows the destruction on human bodies of the AR-15, especially children, using demonstrations of actual injuries from past victims of school shootings (with permission of their families)

I can stomach a lot of things… a lot. But seeing that first part about Noah, I lost it. I’m not far from Newtown and for myself and a lot of people I know, elementary school shootings are especially triggering. There shouldn’t be events such as yesterday’s to just add to the list.

While I appreciate the article (and your warning), I understand some may not be able to view it. I think there are a lot of people who should, though. This was very informative for me. Thank you for posting.

"We also don't have a motive at this time, we feel that the students that were targeted were randomly targeted, there was not any particular student that they were — that she was looking for at the time of the incident," he said. "And that's what we know as I speak."

Drake said it's "very possible" that the head of the school, Katherine Koonce, confronted the shooter in the hallway by her office.

"I can't say it was a confrontation but they were met — she met the head person in the hallway," Drake said.

Custodian Mike Hill was shot by Hale as they sprayed rounds at the door to enter the school, according to Drake.

The parents, who felt Hale shouldn't own weapons due to the 28-year-old's emotional state, were unaware of the guns the shooter owned.

Suspect had bought seven guns legally - police chief​

Nashville shooting suspect Audrey Hale had purchased seven firearms legally from five different stores prior to yesterday's tragedy, says Nashville police chief John Drake.

Police have spoken to Hale's family, Drake says, who told authorities Hale had been in treatment for an "emotional disorder".

"Her parents felt she should not own weapons," Drake says.

"She had been hiding several weapons within the house."
Hale was not known to police ahead of the attack.

possible her parents idea of an emotional disorder was her gender choice.

Parents didn't want shooter to own guns, police say​

Mirna Alsharif
The Nashville shooter's parents didn't want the 28-year-old owning guns, the police chief said during a news conference today.

Police interviewed the parents who said the shooter had been under a doctor's care for an emotional disorder. The parents were under the impression that the shooter didn't own any weapons after one was sold, but Hale was reportedly hiding "several weapons within the house."

"Law enforcement knew nothing about the treatment she was receiving, but her parents felt that she should not own weapons," Drake said. "They were under the impression when she sold the one weapon that she didn't own anymore."

Police still do not have a motive for yesterday's shooting.

The idea that those messages were sent at 9:57 whilst sitting in the car park waiting to go into the school is just so grim.

And sad that the friend tried to take immediate action but it didn’t work. I commend her, because I feel like some wouldn’t have made that effort. Though ultimately I know that even if no effort is made, it’s not their fault. It will always be the shooter’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23