TN - Shooting at private Christian Covenant School, Nashville, suspect dead, multiple victims, 27 Mar 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chicken wire inside of glass is a great option but it does make it hard to breach if there is a fire. One of the hardest thing to do is to take a currently built school structure and fortify it. At the new elementary school that replaced Sandy Hook, the building is incredibly fortified from the edges of the property to the inside of the building. There are so many schools that were built in 50s-70s that have been refurbished and repaired which means that some of the new technologies are almost impossible to use. I am a former school administrator who was on duty in a school near Sandy Hook. We spent months trying to figure out how to fortify a building that was awash with large gorgeous windows and doors that lead outside from every classroom. The price tag was in the high single digit millions. Cost benefit analysis is always done. You can't make a building Fort Knox because the more likely threat will be things like fire, a disaster that things like bullet proof glass are a nightmare for rescue. Not going political here but..... the cost of keeping our kids safe is greater than a retrofit and it is high time that we put the will and capital into every structure that we use for education, including poor areas, rural areas, and areas where people think it would never happen.
"including poor areas" - So important you mentioned that because more often than not they are missed off the lists (around the world).

Hospital psychologists say they spend hours try to help many fight through trauma and offering empathy and a shoulder to cry on, but Spencer says her work didn’t stop at the hospital.

“In talking with my 7-year-old, a first grader, he didn’t know very much but that something bad happened, so I did share the general information about the situation, but his question was, ‘Will that person now come in hurt me?’ And that’s a hard question,” Spencer said.

Although Spencer said her heart broke to hear those words, she took a breath and explained that the shooter is gone and that she’s doing everything she can to keep him safe.

“Ask your child what have you heard about the events yesterday see what they are telling you,” Spencer said.

And correct any misinformation they have while Spencer says also reminding them that it’s OK to share their feeling of sadness, it’s OK not to be OK.

“We are not OK, parents in Nashville are not OK, and the families of those who were lost are not OK,” Spencer said.

Strikes me as odd that a 28-year old just graduated from college last year (I saw that Nossi College of Art offers 4-year Bachelor’s degrees in a few majors as well as 2-year associate degrees in more). Typically in the US, and based on my experiences working in higher ed, most middle-class folks are about 22-23 years old when they finish their undergraduate studies, so I wonder what might account for that. Did they just choose to start later, and what did they do in the time after high school and before college? Did they go to a different school before Nossi, and was that by their choice or due to other reasons? Could part of the anger towards the parents be related to that?

Last edited:
It's more about after art school that I was thinking of. Does it prepare graduates to go out and face the world outside the bubble?
Probably- to the extent they can with career fairs etc.

But.... my guess is that graduating artists, actors, musicians etc. have it tough, real tough.

Success probably equals: (D) Drive + (TS) technical skill + that special something or another that causes your work to "pop" when the competition does not.

That last value in equation is not clearly defined and limits the amount of preparation the school can give other than "give it your best shot".

I know an sophamore aspiring actress / theatre major. She has huge amounts of both (D) and (TS). Competitive dance has given her the physique of a track athlete.

But...She probably wont know if she has the special something or 'nother until she graduates. By then, she could be starving.

Last edited:
Dr. Katherine Koonce, the 60-year-old principal

'The headmaster, Dr. Koonce, upon hearing the first shots, ran toward the danger,' [Russ Pulley, a member of Nashville city council and a former FBI agent] wrote on Facebook.

'She also made sure the school was prepared with active shooter training and protocols. Those actions saved countless lives.'

Pulley told Fox News Digital that Koonce was on a Zoom call when Hale burst in.

'It is my understanding from a witness at the school, that Katherine Koonce was on a Zoom call when she heard the first shot,' said Pulley.

'She immediately ended the call, got up, and headed straight for the shooter.

'She did what principals and headmasters do; she protected her children.

'In addition, she prepared the school by seeking advanced level active shooter training and from witnesses at the scene, this protocol, details of which I cannot provide, saved countless lives.'

John Drake, the chief of Nashville police, said on Tuesday that he had no doubt she moved towards the danger - although he did not have precise details.

'There was a confrontation, I'm sure – you can tell the way she was lying in the hallway,' Drake said.

The pastor of Koonce's church, West End Community Church, paid tribute to her sacrifice.

'She gave her life in defense of the children under her care,' said John Bourgeois, in a note sent to church members.

Strikes me as odd that a 28-year old just graduated from college last year (I saw that Nossi College of Art offers 4-year Bachelor’s degrees in a few majors as well as 2-year associate degrees in more). Typically in the US, most graduates are about 22-23 years old when they finish their undergraduate educations, so I wonder what might account for that. Did they just choose to start later, and what did they do in the time after high school and before college? Did they go to a different school before Nossi, and was that by their choice or due to other reasons? Could part of the anger towards the parents be related to that?

Maybe she wasn't going to go to college and changed her mind? Apparently, only 40% of Americans have a Bachelor's by age 25.

And only 59% finish college in 6 years (per 2019 figures; wouldn't' surprise me if it's even worse now).

With that in mind, I'm not surprised by the age of a recent college graduate unless it's over 35-40. A lot of high school students work for a few years before going to college, IMO.

All MOO except what's provided in the links.

That picture of William Kinney looks different from the other picture the media has shared of him.
IMO… That’s not William. I saw that specific photo on a social media post last night by a mother posting that pic of her son, saying something to the effect of this is William… as in, this is what a 9 year old boy looks like. Teeth too big for his mouth, arms and feet too long and lanky for his body. A growing boy, just a kid.

But definitely not William. She was using him as an example.

Former coach didn't remember shooter as troubled youth

Erik Ortiz
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Audrey Hale was on the basketball team at Isaiah T. Creswell Middle School of the Arts, where Hale was a student from 2006 to 2010. The team’s basketball coach at the time, Antoine Buchanan, said Hale was one of the few white players on the girls’ team at Creswell, a predominantly Black school.

While he did not recall Hale as a “major player” on the team, he also doesn’t remember Hale as being troubled.

“Even thinking back to that, she would have not been a troubling person,” Buchanan said Tuesday. “If you were going to be trouble for
me, I’m not keeping you on the team.”

Ah, man. Those cops ran into danger. They ran into gunfire. And they must have saved so many lives as a result. The bravery is astounding. Just astounding.

They really showed everyone how it's supposed to be done. That was the most hair-raising video I've seen in a very long time. They just kept moving,fast, didn't stop long, kept going forward. Very, very brave and well trained.

I couldn't see but a split second before they shot the killer, but didn't it look like the killer was standing at some windows getting ready to fire outside? Anyone else notice that?

That picture of William Kinney looks different from the other picture the media has shared of him.
I agree with you. I am seeing 2 different versions elsewhere, but not finding any in MSM, as was the Fox3 one I posted.

This is not acceptable. William’s correct photo must be shown. Or no photo at all, if the family chooses.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

This raises a question for me: why have police even called it 'a manifesto'?

Is it because that's what she wrote on top of it "My Manifesto"?

Why give it such a pretentious name? IMO, in reality it was a suicide note.

JMO
We don't know if it was merely a suicide note. It may have been an actual manifesto and give information as to her motive.

I agree with you. I am seeing 2 different versions elsewhere, but not finding any in MSM, as was the Fox3 one I posted.

This is not acceptable. William’s correct photo must be shown. Or no photo at all, if the family chooses.
1680058352401.png
William Kinney

Dallas mourners pray for Hallie's family at church where her dad served as associate pastor

Claire Cardona
DALLAS — A stream of people filed into Park Cities Presbyterian Church today to grieve and pray for the family of Hallie, whose father, Chad Scruggs, was the former associate pastor at the Texas church.

During the service, the community prayed for the families and friends of all the victims and the shooter.

Rebecca Lutz, who was at the service, said she’d seen the family when Scruggs was in town in February to speak at the church about prayer.

Lutz said Hallie was “precious,” and she was happy to have seen her earlier this year.

“Any way that we can just honor and lift them up and pray for them is just so important to all of us because we just loved him dearly and do love him dearly,” she said.

Scruggs spent five years at the church before leaving in 2018 for Nashville, according to the church spokesperson Shawn Davis. Scruggs and his wife, Jada, also have three sons.

So nine-year old Hallie was their only daughter, the only daughter of the pastor and his wife among their four children.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong