UT - Gwyneth Paltrow sued over ski collision at Deer Valley Resort in 2016 - trial, March 2023 *GP Not Guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Keri Oaks testimony was a big fat nothing burger for the plaintiff. The plaintiff’s atty questioning her was desperate to get her to say GP was distracted and she never agreed with that. She said exactly what I was thinking, GP could see her kids in her periphery. That makes the most sense when skiing. She also said there was no one in their vicinity as they were all skiing!
I have also felt the jury will understand why she left the ski patrol and instructor there, in her place to give contact info, and help TS, because her young kids had skied on ahead. Of course she wants to keep track of her children on the slopes.

I have also felt the jury will understand why she left the ski patrol and instructor there, in her place to give contact info, and help TS, because her young kids had skied on ahead. Of course she wants to keep track of her children on the slopes.

Actually it came off as entitlement to me. Her kids were fine, with a ski instructor. Or they would have waited at the bottom of the hill for GP, like other kids do at a ski resort.

I've only really payed attention to this trial in the last few days.

I've never seen such a casual trial where the defendant and plaintiff wander in and out and leave it to their attorneys to defend. It's like both Paltrow and Sanderson are just bit players for their attorneys presentation of the case. From what I've seen, there is rarely interaction between the lawyers and their patron, on either side.

It's interesting you say this trial is a hot mess. I looked at this trial as a normal way to conduct such a trial in Utah. Now that you've mentioned that, I'll look at it differently.
I have attended several trials: In one circumstance I was a representative for our hospital as a Risk Manager- we took a few cases of Medical malpractice to trial. Never ever did the plaintiff or defendant get up and leave the table- both parties sat thru every day of the trial. At the most there were two attorneys handling the trial- and these were much more complicated cases than the one in front of court in Utah involving GP. In the other circumstance I worked for a personal injury attorney: again, we took a few cases to trial- most settled prior to trial. Judges work very hard to settle cases. My boss was the trial attorney- all by himself- On every occasion that I attended a trial I saw nothing but professionalism from both defense and plaintiff and a judge who controlled his/her courtroom, This trial is an aberration from how trials are conducted-- very unprofessional IMO to the point of being chaotic.

You know what! I liked the judge at first but now not so much. It’s his responsibility to keep the parties in check and maintain order in the courtroom and he has failed to do so. He’s too hands off and seems detached. I’m not questioning his rulings. I’m talking about courtroom decorum. He has to know the celebrity factor is bringing a lot of eyes on this case.

You know what! I liked the judge at first but now not so much. It’s his responsibility to keep the parties in check and maintain order in the courtroom and he has failed to do so. He’s too hands off and seems detached. I’m not questioning his rulings. I’m talking about courtroom decorum. He has to know the celebrity factor is bringing a lot of eyes on this case.

Absolutely correct

I have been watching some of this trial, and following the thread here. While I am not a super fan of GP at all, I do find her story to be much more believable than TS's.

I was able to watch TS on the stand, and he came across as an old man in denial about life and aging. He is full of drama and himself, IMO.

In saying the above, as I usually and often do during boring parts of the trials I watch...I prepare a little 'sound track' in my head.
The song for TS?

Dr John's "Right place, wrong time." ( 1973)

some lyrics:

"I been in the right place
But it must have been the wrong time
I'd have said the right thing
But must have used the wrong line"

"Just need a little brain salad surgery
I got to que my insecurity".

Carry On, and enjoy the show.
:cool:

I think judge is holding defense and plaintiff lawyers to a strict time schedule and time is running out.
I think we need to hear more from TS and I hope that Owens calls him. Reading those depos big waste of time. I think Owens needs to get more from TS and saw a number of commentators last night saying same...he said he was done with cross and frankly I don't think he got that far. And want to hear at least some of Jenny's depo.

Last edited:
TS is in the courtroom today. <modsnip> His attorney is going in circles right now with judge who I don't think is buying anything this <modsnip - NO NAMECALLING> says.
I have been watching the same and agree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before the readings of the depos yesterday afternoon I remember hearing the judge say that each side had four hours left each.
I heard that too. Judge runs a tight ship.
Judge and lawyers going over motions now. Jury not present.
GP lawyer has been struggling with a cold. He looks like he feels awful now. MOO

I heard that too. Judge runs a tight ship.
Judge and lawyers going over motions now. Jury not present.
GP lawyer has been struggling with a cold. He looks like he feels awful now. MOO
yep and the four hours includes rebuttal. This seems really rushed but apparently agreed to by all sides.

yep and the four hours includes rebuttal. This seems really rushed but apparently agreed to by all sides.
*Do you know if that four hour time limit includes closing arguments?

*I am hoping defense will call TS back to the stand.

*FWIW...We've watched lots and lots of jury trials over they years. I know this is a civil case, but these lawyers appear to be duds.

Several witnesses have testified how TS had blindness in his right eye pre-accident. TS also had a cataract in his left eye pre-accident. Sounds like he was pretty visually impaired on his way down the slopes imo.

Several witnesses have testified how TS had blindness in his right eye pre-accident. TS also had a cataract in his left eye pre-accident. Sounds like he was pretty visually impaired on his way down the slopes imo.
Also had severe hearing loss.
Oh and that visual issue - they literally said he was walking into walls before the incident. The defense didn’t dispute this, but I’m sure they’d prefer it wasn’t brought up at all. Yikes.

Hard to read but see #2

Attachments

• 37D2C037-B53C-41EB-9C58-C73AE0B01F43.jpeg
    37D2C037-B53C-41EB-9C58-C73AE0B01F43.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 18
The Defense trying to say “your opinion is limited (to your field of expertise)” is pretty weak IMO. This doctor I think made it very clear what areas of expertise he had and where things outside of expertise he would defer to others. No real “gotcha” moment. Wonder what jury thinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82