NY - Former President Donald Trump charged with 34 criminal counts of falsifying business records, Apr 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.reuters.com/legal/trump...ment-reconvene-monday-source-says-2023-03-27/
David Pecker, who testified in January, came back for about 45 minutes on Monday, the person said.

Pecker had offered to help Trump in the run-up to the November 2016 presidential election by buying rights to unflattering stories and never publishing them, a practice known as "catch and kill."

Pecker is linked to the case due to an investigation that he used his role burying unfavorable stories as Trump when he was CEO of American Media, Inc. (AMI), which is the publisher of the Star, the Globe, the National Enquirer, and the Weekly World News.

Pecker offered during an August 2014 meeting with Trump to use the National Enquirer to find, intercept and kill any allegations of sexual affairs against him.

AMI and Pecker came under investigation in 2018 for buying the rights to these stories and then refusing to publish them.

Trump's attorney at the time Michael Cohen requested AMI buy the rights to Daniel's story, which Pecker refused. Later, during a February 2019 testimony, Cohen told the House Oversight Committee during a hearing that he and Pecker worked together to 'catch and kill' stories that could damage Trump.

Pecker was removed as AMI CEO in August 2020 but was kept on as executive advisor.

Last edited:
Lets see how this rolls. Trump gets free press. DOJ refused to prosecute.
Guess NY has plenty of time and money to focus on Trump.
MOO...it will be a replay of John Edwards

We didn't talk about that. I stayed to "Stormy Daniels", Trump paid for prostitution, and then paid to cover it up. Clearly, a crime. He said that it was the lawyer who paid to cover it up...so he committed the crime. Really?! So, is paying a prostitute for sex a crime?! My husband is even willing to defend this. States "Statute of limitations", like he "knows" this...and that "prostitution is legal in some places". Really? Like NYC?!

Everything is a conspiracy. Of course.

I feel for you! my husband is a staunch Trump supporter no matter what Trump does or is accused of doing. I really try not to discuss Trump too often because on those occasions we talk about him , we start arguing. Trump is not worth my marriage going to hell over him. No way.

IMO the "little donors" really are a millions of his supporters and nothing so far has resulted in their cultish like support for him no matter what he is accused of- I have no doubt his "little donors" will continue to part with their money for whatever cause he puts before them. It is truly beyond belief.
Agreed. I can't fathom the support he receives. I know many intelligent people, however, some support him and I then question why? I don't get it. It is beyond belief. moo

I feel for you! my husband is a staunch Trump supporter no matter what Trump does or is accused of doing. I really try not to discuss Trump too often because on those occasions we talk about him , we start arguing. Trump is not worth my marriage going to hell over him. No way.

I have one of those at home too. That’s why I need to keep up with the facts.

No. But the length "Trump Supporters" are willing to go is crazy. I can't wrap my head around the absolute blind loyalty. January 6th? Stormy Daniels? On and on...it is all a "conspiracy". Of course. Just like the "Pandemic". There is no reasoning with this mindset.

Can Trump continue to rail against the prosecution?

All defendants have a right to vigorously defend their innocence, but Trump can’t threaten the prosecutor without risking other legal charges under New York law.

The judge could also issue a gag order to prevent Trump from speaking about the case. In the weeks leading up to the indictment vote, Trump escalated his attacks on Bragg and the judicial system. He also warned of "death and destruction" if he were charged.

Trump attorney Joe Tacopina said in an interview that there is “zero chance” the former president will take a plea deal, insisting Trump expects to be vindicated either before or during a trial.

“President Trump will not take a plea deal on this case. It’s not gonna happen,” Tacopina said. “There’s no crime. I don’t know if it’s gonna make it to trial because we have substantial legal challenges."

“This is Political Persecution and Election Interference at the highest level in history”
Guessing that the prosecutors restricted their charges to only business fraud (and not January 06 "activities") to deflate that defense.

We didn't talk about that. I stayed to "Stormy Daniels", Trump paid for prostitution, and then paid to cover it up. Clearly, a crime. He said that it was the lawyer who paid to cover it up...so he committed the crime. Really?! So, is paying a prostitute for sex a crime?! My husband is even willing to defend this. States "Statute of limitations", like he "knows" this...and that "prostitution is legal in some places". Really? Like NYC?!

Everything is a conspiracy. Of course.

The judge will sort it out, right?

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene said Friday she will travel to New York next week to protest the former president’s indictment and urged other supporters to join her.

“I’m going to New York on Tuesday. We MUST protest the unconstitutional WITCH HUNT!” Greene tweeted to her 663,000 followers.

So far, no other GOP lawmakers have said they are planning to join Greene at protests in New York, though security had already begun ramping up in response to Trump's indictment. The New York Police Department ordered every member of the force to report in full uniform beginning Friday morning, according to a police memo. That includes 36,000 officers and 19,000 civilian employees.

Before delivering a Lincoln Day address in Gettysburg on Thursday night, Greene said in a message sent to reporters that Bragg "made a very dangerous, and in my opinion, illegal mistake" and that Trump would beat the charges.

"I’ve always stood by President Trump and I will stand alongside him in this fight because the truth every single Republican in America needs to understand [is] that they’re not just coming after President Trump. They’re coming after every single one of us," Greene said.

"And right now President Trump is the only one standing in the way and he’s the first one they want to take down."

Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg's historic indictment of Donald Trump could hinge on an untested legal theory, in a move one law scholar questions as 'legally pathetic'.

The indictment handed down by a New York grand jury on Thursday remains under seal until his arrest, and the exact nature of the criminal charges against Trump is unclear.
The New York state charge of falsifying business records would be a misdemeanor, unless it was committed to further or cover up another crime.

Lets see how this rolls. Trump gets free press. DOJ refused to prosecute.
Guess NY has plenty of time and money to focus on Trump.
MOO...it will be a replay of John Edwards

I'd much prefer they pursue the more serious allegations against Trump and his cohorts, and there are some serious ones.

In a letter obtained by The Associated Press, Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg told three Republican House committee chairs Friday that such claims are “misleading and meritless” and rebuffed congressional probing into the grand jury process — by law, a confidential one.

“We urge you to refrain from these inflammatory accusations, withdraw your demand for information, and let the criminal justice process proceed without unlawful political interference,” Bragg wrote to Reps. James Comer, Jim Jordan and Bryan Steil.

House Speaker Kevin McCarthy has vowed to use congressional oversight to probe Bragg. Steil, Jordan and Comer have asked Bragg’s office for grand jury testimony, documents and copies of any communications with the Justice Department.

Trump was asked to surrender Friday, but his lawyers said the Secret Service needed more time to make security preparations.

Even for defendants who turn themselves in, answering criminal charges in New York generally entails at least several hours of detention while being fingerprinted, photographed, and going through other procedures.

Bragg said on Friday that Congress does not have authority to interfere with the case and accused the lawmakers of escalating political tensions. Bragg's office has been the target of bomb threats in recent weeks.

"You and many of your colleagues have chosen to collaborate with Mr. Trump's efforts to vilify and denigrate the integrity of elected state prosecutors and trial judges," Bragg wrote in a letter to Republican lawmakers.

Last edited:
Had he not been running in the 2024 election there never would have been an indictment.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Your opinion. Mine is very different. I like to think our justice system follows the law of the land and even those not running for POTUS are held accountable for breaking it. It's refreshing to know the law applies to everyone, no matter what. JMO.

I am stunned to read this thread today and the joy of Trumps indictment. I guess I am the minority believing these are scary times for America. We do not even know the details.

I dunno, for me, I think it's much scarier to think that you can get away with breaking the law as long as you're part of the elite group who makes the laws. I think this is definitely a step in the right direction in reinforcing that the law applies to EVERYONE, no matter the political party, your social status, or your position in America.

God Bless the USA for holding everyone accountable!

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member