Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #87

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have we heard anything on these other confessions?? I thought maybe I missed it.

@Nikynoo normally I would agree with you. But why is her son dead? Because he murdered someone’s daughter. I find Roberta Laundrie disgusting. I wouldn’t be surprised if his parents gave him the gun and told him to go somewhere and end this.
Would we still be discussing this if Brian hadn't killed himself? Would the Petitos still be suing the P's?

We don't even know if Brian read the letter do we? Nor do the P's.

I want to add, that the generation of the L's means that they were taught in the art of written communication. Perhaps they were not big talkers in that family, perhaps Robertas way of communicating with Brian was intially through reading books to him as a child - a parent choosing a book and putting special meaning of the delivery of the spoken word, is a way of related communication. We, as parents, can't do this as they grow into adults, so the best way is to write a letter - related communication.

Everyone has different writing styles. You only have to peruse through the different threads on WS to see it. Some have long posts that reflect the deep thinking behind a posters thoughts. Some are short and to the point. Both can be misconstrued, misunderstood, but both are related communication. Each of us are different and do not communicate in the same way. We have to find a mutual way of being understood, and I believe that the letter reflects Robertas way of communicating with her child.

Roberta should not be berated for the way she chooses to communicate with her son. I cannot say what I think about the P's actions, not just in this civil litigation, but in others. It will be the initial statements by the P family and NS, that the defence in each civil case will lose to win.

Would we still be discussing this if Brian hadn't killed himself? Would the Petitos still be suing the P's?

I want to add, that the generation of the L's means that they were taught in the art of written communication. Perhaps they were not big talkers in that family, perhaps Robertas way of communicating with Brian was intially through reading books to him as a child - a parent choosing a book and putting special meaning of the delivery of the spoken word, is a way of related communication. We, as parents, can't do this as they grow into adults, so the best way is to write a letter - related communication.

Everyone has different writing styles. You only have to peruse through the different threads on WS to see it. Some have long posts that reflect the deep thinking behind a posters thoughts. Some are short and to the point. Both can be misconstrued, misunderstood, but both are related communication. Each of us are different and do not communicate in the same way. We have to find a mutual way of being understood, and I believe that the letter reflects Robertas way of communicating with her child.

Roberta should not be berated for the way she chooses to communicate with her son. I cannot say what I think about the P's actions, not just in this civil litigation, but in others. It will be the initial statements by the P family and NS, that the defence in each civil case will lose to win.
BBM
Yes....

If it were as simple as a mother writing a deeply emotional letter to her grown up son, full of personal references that we’re not privy to understanding, I don’t think we would be discussing it as much as we are. But it’s not. It’s a mother telling her son that she is willing to help him bury a body. That son, it turns out, murdered his girlfriend.

I was speaking to the story from Reilly reported in the earlier link-- that the letter was found in the van but moved to the house. If that story had been true, what evidence do we have the FBI kept a copy of the letter after leaving the original with the Laundries after removing it from the van in early Sept? Why would the FBI have done that? Either it was potential evidence in which case the FBI would not have left the original with the L's OR it wasn't potential evidence in which case the FBI would not have made a copy.

Reilly's story has changed over time. Here's a slightly different account from him for how the letter was found during the house search on Sept 20: Brian Laundrie's mother offered him a shovel in ‘burn after reading’ note

"Reilly, the attorney for the Petito family, said that the FBI found the letter in a box in a closet in the Laundries' house. It contained items from the van he and Petito were traveling in, Reilly added."

So I guess because the letter was in a box with items that seemed to have been in the van, Reilly assumed it had been in the van too? Seems to be an iffy conclusion to me but if that's true, that would, IMO, argue the letter was written earlier, before the trip began, not later after GP was dead.
JMO

I think you make a lot of sense there.

At this point, I'm inclined to believe the letter was written before the murder, for a few other reasons as well. She couldn't literally be offering to bury Gabby after the killing by this written note, that would make no sense. If it were really consciously incriminating in any way, then he probably would have burned it or destroyed it after reading, and she probably wouldn't have put it in writing in the first place. It does look more to me like a letter she wrote after they had been fighting, maybe she was against his vanlife lifestyle, maybe pressuring him to get a stable job. So she wanted to reassure him that she still loved him no matter what and gave a bunch of hyperbolic assurances.

However, even if that were the case, I still think the letter might help the Petitos' case, because it could show that, having seen this letter, Brian might have felt safe going to her and telling her what he did or at least that something happened to Gabby.

The stronger evidence for me would be if there is indeed proof that the Laundries talked to a lawyer the day after the murder.

jmo

Sure we would be discussing the letter!

First his trial for murder would be approaching if he was alive and that letter would certainly matter. I could see RL being indicted for conspiracy to commit murder.

Yes, I am 74, from the old school of letter writing. RL is much younger than I am. Those of her age didn’t write so much. You can defend her writing to her son to tell him she loves him all day long. That isn’t the issue.

i hope every mom loves her kid. When my son was sent overseas in the military I wrote him all the time. Not once did I comfort him by saying if he committed a crime worthy of jail would I bake him a cake with a file in it. What was her intention of him using the file for? Not once, did I express my love by saying oh, if you kill someone, mom will be right there with a shovel and bags and we can get rid of evidence together. THAT was her implied intention.

Seriously Nikynoo, there is no other way to interpret her letter and i fail to understand anyone defending this woman.

If it were really consciously incriminating in any way, then he probably would have burned it or destroyed it after reading, and she probably wouldn't have put it in writing in the first place.

BL strikes me as the sort of person who would do the opposite of what you tell him just out of sheer obstinacy.

In any case, it's a mistake to expect people to always behave rationally and say that "a reasonable person would never have done X, so it couldn't have happened that way." Sometimes people act imprudently.

We see this argument in court cases all the time, don't we? I certainly remember people in the Murdaugh killings claiming that it was illogical for Alex to use the family guns to murder his wife and child so it had to have been done by someone else.

If it were as simple as a mother writing a deeply emotional letter to her grown up son, full of personal references that we’re not privy to understanding, I don’t think we would be discussing it as much as we are. But it’s not. It’s a mother telling her son that she is willing to help him bury a body. That son, it turns out, murdered his girlfriend.
I believe it goes further. I believe she had an idea he might get violent while he and Abby were gone and he would kill her.

What must Abby’s life had been like living in that household?

I believe it goes further. I believe she had an idea he might get violent while he and Abby were gone and he would kill her.

What must Abby’s life had been like living in that household?
I wonder why no one else saw problems in the relationship if it was so obvious he might kill her? According to what they've said in interviews, even after the couple made a lengthy visit to NY in June into early July, no one in her family had an inkling it was a toxic relationship (although at least one friend--Rose D-- did know they both fought physically... slapping, shoving, etc.) But even Tara P who said she'd been in an abusive relationship herself saw nothing alarming.

I'm not buying RL had those suspicions based on that letter. I wouldn't have said the things she said including the BL flying to the moon part or the part about getting new guts. But I wouldn't call young men girls' names to try to intentionally "humiliate" them either as JP said he did regularly with GP's boyfriends. So it's hard to judge other parents' actions.
JMO

OMGosh, Warwick7, this was great!
The Petito family attorney even addresses when Roberta and Christopher Laundrie must have had knowledge of Gabby's murder.
At about minute 8:30, he shares the following info (not verbatim):
FBI suspects Gabby was murdered on Aug 27, 2021. The next day there were a significant number of calls exchanged between Brian and his parents. The day after that, the 29th of Aug, there were significant number of calls exchanged between Christopher and Roberta Laundrie and Attorney Bertolino. Brian returned on Sep 1st in Gabby's van alone. Based on that circumstantial evidence he feels it's clear that they all knew that she was deceased at the time that Bertolino made his statement on December 14th.
Have we had all this info before and I just missed it? Has this already been discussed?

This article explains it!

OMGosh, Warwick7, this was great!
The Petito family attorney even addresses when Roberta and Christopher Laundrie must have had knowledge of Gabby's murder.
At about minute 8:30, he shares the following info (not verbatim):
FBI suspects Gabby was murdered on Aug 27, 2021. The next day there were a significant number of calls exchanged between Brian and his parents. The day after that, the 29th of Aug, there were significant number of calls exchanged between Christopher and Roberta Laundrie and Attorney Bertolino. Brian returned on Sep 1st in Gabby's van alone. Based on that circumstantial evidence he feels it's clear that they all knew that she was deceased at the time that Bertolino made his statement on December 14th.
Have we had all this info before and I just missed it? Has this already been discussed?

New information for me. Looking at the timeline thread, I don't see the flurry of phone calls listed for 8/28 and 8/29.

New information for me. Looking at the timeline thread, I don't see the flurry of phone calls listed for 8/28 and 8/29.
Is there a breakdown or list of the contents of their phones in the record that is accessible to us?
It would shock and disappoint me if their attorney, Patrick Reilly, would broadcast false information. Especially if they're going to court based on those facts.

BL strikes me as the sort of person who would do the opposite of what you tell him just out of sheer obstinacy.

Obstinacy to what end?

In any case, it's a mistake to expect people to always behave rationally and say that "a reasonable person would never have done X, so it couldn't have happened that way." Sometimes people act imprudently.

Of course they don't always, but I gave other reasons for my opinion, it didn't depend all on that. There is nothing conclusive known for the date of the later, so we have to try to go by predicting human behavior.

We see this argument in court cases all the time, don't we? I certainly remember people in the Murdaugh killings claiming that it was illogical for Alex to use the family guns to murder his wife and child so it had to have been done by someone else.

But it would have made even less sense that an outside killer would have shown up there and used his guns to murder anyone.

And that question was of no matter anyway, since the physical evidence otherwise proved he did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lefer