Deceased/Not Found Bahamas - Cameron Robbins, 18, Louisiana teen jumped overboard from sunset cruise, Nassau, 25 May 2023 *Graphic*

j_in_c

Reaction score
May 25 (UPI) -- A Louisiana high school graduate who went to a resort in the Bahamas to celebrate with friends is missing after he was dared to jump overboard on a "sunset cruise" excursion.

Cameron Robbins, 18, was dared by others on the boat to jump into the water, according to witnesses who spoke to WAFB. Video footage referenced by WAFB allegedly showed the teen struggling in the water.

Robbins, a graduate of the University Laboratory School in Baton Rouge, was with fellow U-High students

Coast Guard concludes search efforts for missing man near Nassau, Bahamas​

All Coast Guard Southeast imagery can be found on Dvids, here.
MIAMI — The Coast Guard concluded its search efforts while assisting the Royal Bahamas Defence Force, Friday, for a missing 18-year-old man near Nassau, Bahamas.​
Missing is Cameron Robbins, a recent high school graduate.
Royal Bahamas Defence Force personnel contacted Coast Guard District Seven watchstanders, Wednesday, at 11:30 p.m. reporting the man fell off the Blackbeard's Revenge sunset cruise ship and entered the water.
District Seven watchstanders launched ready aircrews and developed search patterns to assist the Royal Bahamas Defence Force’s search and rescue efforts.
Coast Guard crews searched more than 325 square miles.
"U.S. Coast Guard District Seven deployed multiple search and rescue assets in response to an agency assistance request from our partners in the Royal Bahamas Defence Force. Our Coast Guard command center and aircrews based in Miami supported RBDF search and rescue efforts since the initial report Wednesday evening, and continued through Friday evening," said Lt. Cmdr. Matthew Spado, Coast Guard liaison officer to the Bahamas. "We were informed by the RBDF this evening that they were suspending the active search efforts pending further developments, and were not requesting further Coast Guard assistance after notifying the Robbins family. We offer our sincerest condolences to Cameron Robbins’ family and friends.”
Coast Guard assets involved in the search:
  • Coast Guard Air Station Miami MH-65 Dolphin Helicopter crew
  • Coast Guard Air Station Clearwater MH-60 Jayhawk Helicopter crews
  • Coast Guard Air Station Miami HC-144 Ocean Sentry crews
Anyone with new information is asked to contact Coast Guard District Seven watchstanders at 305-415-6800.

The legal drinking age in the Bahamas is 18. I'm pretty sure this was a booze cruise and most were probably intoxicated, imo.18 year olds, alcohol, and away from parents, is a recipe for disaster. I doubt the dare was malicious but now those kids will forever be haunted by the result of it. This is such a sad ending to the promising future this young man had.

The legal drinking age in the Bahamas is 18. I'm pretty sure this was a booze cruise and most were probably intoxicated, imo.18 year olds, alcohol, and away from parents, is a recipe for disaster. I doubt the dare was malicious but now those kids will forever be haunted by the result of it. This is such a sad ending to the promising future this young man had.
The links above stated the "cruise" boat was done up to look like a pirate ship. If you look you can find the operator online, as it's sort of a unique marketing strategy. The sunset cruise includes 1 glass of wine and snacks but they do advertise a full cash bar. So I imagine if it was legal and they were celebrating some of those on board may have been drinking more than they normally would, in my opinion. Such a sad outcome.

Unfortunately, this boat drives right through the Harbour, and the water there is full of junk. It's a lovely little ship and not very high up but it's easy enough to bump your head on the way down or hit a prop. I wonder what might have stopped him from staying above water, he may have caught onto something? In any case, tremendously sad news.

The cruise was the Bootleggers & Barrels Party Cruise. Remember that the RBDF called out the USCG at 11:30, so perhaps the tour was beginning to wind down, or at least the ship was headed back into port. MOO ETA: new information indicates it happened much earlier. See my post to come after the post by @Herat.
Evening Voyages

BOOTLEGGERS & BARRELS PARTY CRUISE (ADULTS 18+ ONLY)
Party the night away and groove to the music beats of Nassau’s hottest DJ on our Night Cruise. Come aboard Blackbeard’s Revenge pirate ship with loads of fun and entertainment that you won’t experience anywhere else in The Bahamas.
This tour runs from 9:00pm – midnight (3 hours).
Available on board:

• Full Cash Bar
  • Classic Bahamian Menu: Chicken, Ribs, Peas n’ Rice, Baked Mac & Cheese
  • Souvenirs & Pirate Paraphernalia Available For Purchase
Please note:
This experience is weather-permitting and requires a minimum number of passengers.

Last edited:
A comparison of the USCG's search pattern with a satellite view of the incident area. On the first image (taken from the link in the USCG report in my post last night, and like the report is in the public domain) I believe the center of that barely visible green circle (marked by the white dot) is where the incident occurred.1000w_q95.gif
Satellite image:
nassau.jpg
Location of above circle and dot approximate. YMMV

It doesn’t look like he was that far from shore, although he’d more likely be trying to head towards the boat, which was the opposite direction

In the photos of the video footage in one of the earlier news pieces, he is in the water, wearing a white shirt and light-colored pants. The reports are that he was splashing then disappeared from view. There was a pink life preserver in the water, but the shot did not include him and it's hard to tell how far away it was. From the angle of at least one of the photos, it looks like the boat may have had a camera on the mast.

Awful think to happen. You'd think it would be easy for a strong young guy like that to stay afloat and get hauled back onto the boat, but alcohol and sea water don't mix well. It's also surprisingly difficult to swim with clothes and shoes on.

I feel so bad for everyone.

Last edited:
The incident occurred before 9:55 according to the source below:
Cameron Robbins, 18, jumped overboard into 16-foot deep water before 9:55 p.m. while on an evening cruise with several hundred other high school students, according to a report by the U.S. Coast Guard shared by the United Cajun Navy. The report noted weather was "inclement" at the time of the incident.

The incident occurred before 9:55 according to the source below:

Cameron Robbins, 18, jumped overboard into 16-foot deep water before 9:55 p.m. while on an evening cruise with several hundred other high school students, according to a report by the U.S. Coast Guard shared by the United Cajun Navy. The report noted weather was "inclement" at the time of the incident.
So the weather was a chilly 70*F and cloudy at 10pm for the inclement weather alert.

The US Coast Guard says in their statement that he fell overboard. He wasn't pushed. He wasn't coerced. He fell from a ship during a sunset cruise at twilight on a cloudy night.

SS from the YT video above. What is the white object it appears Cameron is holding with his left hand?
Screenshot 2023-05-29 1.47.41 AM.png

SS from the same NBC YT news video. Look how high the sides of the ship are. Where was Cameron when he jumped?
Screenshot 2023-05-29 1.50.04 AM.png

bbr.jpeg

Here's an image of the ship, it's maybe a story or two up from the water. I unfortunately saw the footage and looks like there was a fairly large shark in the water with him, and many people were noting that these ships often throw food waste overboard, so often have a bunch of sharks tailing the ship. He appears to swim away from the buoy they throw down to him, likely away from the shark, and disappears soon after. The harbour in Nassau is full of sharks, big and small. Any resort along the water has thick netting to prevent junk and predators from swimming up on guests. I stayed there in January, they feed the sharks sometimes.

The walls are pretty high, so I have to imagine he jumped on a dare, rather than "fell", unless he was doing something dangerous to begin with. I note there are hanging nets over the water? But if he was pushed, I hope those friends who said it was a "Dare" get charges laid on them. That said, I'm sure the result of their stupidity will be with them for the rest of their lives. MOO

Last edited:
I def think he jumped on a dare. In my earlier post, I was writing what the US Coast Guard was claiming about the incident in the video. I watched more footage. Many news stations are not playing it for the reason stated already.

There is an investigation. The company that runs the ship needs to be cleared of negligence. Can people be in trouble for daring someone to do something dangerous?

This 18yo young man, graduated May 21, had attended the Prep School on LSU's campus for four years. That means he's a gifted student both academically and athletically. Among many accomplishments, Cameron was the baseball team's pitcher and carried his team to the state championships.

May his parents and loved ones find a way to walk with peace. As a mother, I could not recover from the loss. Just bury me with my child.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article275795736.html#

I didn't want to agree with you Bopit, but on the video of him in the water in a DM piece, there is something longish and grey in the water just to the side of the upper corner of the boat as he is in the water, sort of between him and the lifepreserver and he seems to turn and swim away from it.

It could be a reflection on the water or a shadow. Who knows

I didn't want to agree with you Bopit, but on the video of him in the water in a DM piece, there is something longish and grey in the water just to the side of the upper corner of the boat as he is in the water, sort of between him and the lifepreserver and he seems to turn and swim away from it.

I saw that too. Sigh.

I see it and the crowd seems to see it too. I think it's why that one guy says "bye, bye".

ETA: New video show moments after Louisiana star baseball player jumped

I watched the video too. He starts swimming for the life ring, then what looks like a shark appears, he stares at the shark, looks at the boat, then swims away. He falls out of view at that point.

There are zillions of sharks in that water, they follow the cruise ships and large boats because they dump food and trash. Something hitting the water = meal.

Ocean current and waves will beat the crap out even a strong swimmer, they can become exhausted within minutes, people are very hard to find when they go overboard, very few are recovered, it’s far worse at night. The area is loaded with sharks that know a splash means food and all it takes is one bite to spill blood into the water… this guy was dead the moment he jumped.

Last edited:
I watched the video too. He starts swimming for the life ring, then what looks like a shark appears, he stares at the shark, looks at the boat, then swims away. He falls out of view at that point.

There are zillions of sharks in that water, they follow the cruise ships and large boats because they dump food and trash. Something hitting the water = meal.

Ocean current and waves will beat the crap out even a strong swimmer, people are very hard to find when they go overboard, very few are recovered, it’s far worse at night. The area is loaded with sharks that know a splash means food and all it takes is one bite to spill blood into the water… this guy was dead the moment he jumped.

This seems a bit extreme.

Perhaps, as his friends or family might read these posts you might want to be kinder to someone who he knew who would read this and edit it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back