CONVICTION OVERTURNED GA - Ross Harris Trial Appeal, hot car death of son, Cooper

Thank you, @MsMarple

Justice for Cooper sinks with their actions. Everyone knows RH did this to a little boy on purpose and with intentions. His actions leading up to the baby's death, including the chosen too-small carseat, was for meant for that purpose. He parked, by backing into the parking space, where no one could see Cooper inside of the hot car.

His three or four Best Buy lunch buddies dropped him off at his hot car so he could toss the light bulbs inside and they didn't see this precious baby. Cooper was likely already dead and the "smell of death" was already beginning to form inside that hot vehicle. Oh! To be a fly as Ross was controlling that situ.

Thank you, @MsMarple

Justice for Cooper sinks with their actions. Everyone knows RH did this to a little boy on purpose and with intentions. His actions leading up to the baby's death, including the chosen too-small carseat, was for meant for that purpose. He parked, by backing into the parking space, where no one could see Cooper inside of the hot car.

His three or four Best Buy lunch buddies dropped him off at his hot car so he could toss the light bulbs inside and they didn't see this precious baby. Cooper was likely already dead and the "smell of death" was already beginning to form inside that hot vehicle. Oh! To be a fly as Ross was controlling that situ.
And don't forget his phony acting at the roadside show he put on when Cooper's body was discovered.

And don't forget his phony acting at the roadside show he put on when Cooper's body was discovered.

Agreed. I've always felt like he spent those minutes driving around psyching himself up for his performance. He only pulled over once he felt he was ready to start the show, IMO.

Correction - I haven't "always" felt like that. Having known someone who lost a child in an accidental hot car death, my first instinct in these cases is always to presume innocence. It was only as more info came out (least of which was the sexting) that I became convinced this was no accident.

I don't believe that this was an accident. It was a murder staged to look like an accident. He researched deaths in hot cars. No coincidence.
If he researched before the baby died, usually, it would be of no coincidence. In general, it is a horrible way to die, and there are some details in forgotten baby syndrome that I immediately paid attention to but don't want to post about, not to give someone an idea. But in short, RH used mimicry to the extreme.

Justice for Cooper sinks with their actions. Everyone knows RH did this to a little boy on purpose and with intentions.

This isn't true. In fact, I'd argue no one can know for sure what Harris was thinking, which is why the prosecution knows they probably won't win a conviction if he's tried without all of the prejudicial material that was allowed in at the first trial.

He may have intentionally killed his son. Or he may have been so distracted by the break in his routine and his non-stop sexting that he really did think he'd already dropped Cooper off. It's happened to far better parents than Ross Harris.

I'm sorry, but you will never convince me that it was a mistake. There's just too much evidence otherwise. I have no idea why the prosecutor decided not to re-try the case.

There is little doubt as to why they aren't re-trying the case. They don't think they can prevail on malice murder because they likely will be unable to prove to a jury what Harris was thinking when he stepped out of his car and went to work. If they could do this, they'd retry him in heartbeat.

With the prejudicial material mostly removed, his defense would likely focus heavily on the same defenses other parents have used in similar situations. Disruption of routine and distraction. The disruption was that most days he had already dropped Cooper off before going to Chick Fil a and the distraction being his sexting fixation.

Being a lousy husband and a general s*****g do not by themselves mean someone is a murderer. His intent to murder Cooper needs to be proven and the "evidence" of this as presented at trial was scant at best.

Not surprised that they’re not retrying him! I have to agree that he’s a despicable person (the trial proved that) but we don’t know if he did it intentionally/with malice. State knows without all the despicable evidence they have no prayer of obtaining a conviction. All that’s left is how he reacted after the fact. There’s no intent evidence.

Ross Harris, whose murder conviction for the 2014 hot car death of his toddler son was overturned by Georgia’s Supreme Court last year, will not be retried.
DW5YWHO7QNA6VG6WC4ZTBEXD5E.png

The decision was approved on May 25 by Cobb County Superior Court Judge Robert Leonard. But could a newly revived case regarding Harris’ various sex-related offenses keep him in jail? To unpack what’s next for Ross Harris, Cox Media Group’s Nicole Bennett spoke with Philip Holloway, legal analyst for 95.5 WSB in Atlanta, who has extensively covered the case since 2014.

On the morning of June 18, 2014, Ross Harris was supposed to take Cooper to daycare on his way to work at Home Depot in Vinings, Georgia.

Ross and Cooper, who was 22 months old, ate breakfast at a nearby Chick-fil-A restaurant around 8:57 a.m. After breakfast, Harris drove his car, an SUV, to the Home Depot office where he worked in IT, with Cooper strapped in a rear-facing car seat in the back. He entered the office at 9:25 a.m., leaving Cooper in his car seat.

Around 12:30 p.m., Ross Harris was picked up from work by two friends to have lunch at a nearby Publix. After lunch, they stopped at a store where Harris purchased light bulbs. His friends then dropped him off at his workplace parking lot. He walked to his SUV, opened the driver’s side door, and placed the bulbs inside.

At 4:16 p.m., approximately seven hours after leaving Cooper in his SUV, Ross Harris returned to the vehicle and drove it away from his office. After driving for a few minutes, Harris realized Cooper was still in the back seat and later claimed that he immediately pulled into an outdoor mall parking lot to call for help and attempt CPR. Cooper was unresponsive.

Ross told responding officers that he’d simply forgotten to drop his son off at daycare that morning, instead driving straight to work. Temperatures that day reached 92 degrees.

Evidence surfaced after Cooper died that ultimately led to Ross Harris’ arrest in his son’s death. He was charged with several counts related to Cooper’s death and in November 2016, a jury found him guilty on all counts, including malice murder. A judge sentenced him to life without parole, as well as 32 more years in prison for crimes related to his relationships with other women and sending inappropriate messages/material to a minor.

During his trial in 2016, prosecutors argued that Ross Harris was unhappy in his marriage and intentionally killed his son to free himself. To support this theory, they presented extensive evidence of extramarital sexual activities that he engaged in, including exchanging sexually explicit messages and graphic photos with women and girls and meeting some of them for sex.

Defense attorneys described him as a devoted father and said that Cooper’s death was a tragic accident.

Pan to June 22 of last year – Georgia’s highest court overturned the murder and child cruelty convictions against Ross Harris. And last month, the Cobb County District Attorney’s Office announced prosecutors would not retry Ross Harris for murder in this tragic case.

Beyond Criminal Headlines is a podcast in which Cox Media Group’s Nicole Bennett sits down with experts who’ve investigated some of the most notorious cases in U.S. history. Find the latest ‘Beyond Criminal Headlines’ content on any podcast provider or listen on demand here.

Ross Harris, whose murder conviction for the 2014 hot car death of his toddler son was overturned by Georgia’s Supreme Court last year, will not be retried.
DW5YWHO7QNA6VG6WC4ZTBEXD5E.png

The decision was approved on May 25 by Cobb County Superior Court Judge Robert Leonard. But could a newly revived case regarding Harris’ various sex-related offenses keep him in jail? To unpack what’s next for Ross Harris, Cox Media Group’s Nicole Bennett spoke with Philip Holloway, legal analyst for 95.5 WSB in Atlanta, who has extensively covered the case since 2014.

On the morning of June 18, 2014, Ross Harris was supposed to take Cooper to daycare on his way to work at Home Depot in Vinings, Georgia.

Ross and Cooper, who was 22 months old, ate breakfast at a nearby Chick-fil-A restaurant around 8:57 a.m. After breakfast, Harris drove his car, an SUV, to the Home Depot office where he worked in IT, with Cooper strapped in a rear-facing car seat in the back. He entered the office at 9:25 a.m., leaving Cooper in his car seat.

Around 12:30 p.m., Ross Harris was picked up from work by two friends to have lunch at a nearby Publix. After lunch, they stopped at a store where Harris purchased light bulbs. His friends then dropped him off at his workplace parking lot. He walked to his SUV, opened the driver’s side door, and placed the bulbs inside.

At 4:16 p.m., approximately seven hours after leaving Cooper in his SUV, Ross Harris returned to the vehicle and drove it away from his office. After driving for a few minutes, Harris realized Cooper was still in the back seat and later claimed that he immediately pulled into an outdoor mall parking lot to call for help and attempt CPR. Cooper was unresponsive.

Ross told responding officers that he’d simply forgotten to drop his son off at daycare that morning, instead driving straight to work. Temperatures that day reached 92 degrees.

Evidence surfaced after Cooper died that ultimately led to Ross Harris’ arrest in his son’s death. He was charged with several counts related to Cooper’s death and in November 2016, a jury found him guilty on all counts, including malice murder. A judge sentenced him to life without parole, as well as 32 more years in prison for crimes related to his relationships with other women and sending inappropriate messages/material to a minor.

During his trial in 2016, prosecutors argued that Ross Harris was unhappy in his marriage and intentionally killed his son to free himself. To support this theory, they presented extensive evidence of extramarital sexual activities that he engaged in, including exchanging sexually explicit messages and graphic photos with women and girls and meeting some of them for sex.

Defense attorneys described him as a devoted father and said that Cooper’s death was a tragic accident.

Pan to June 22 of last year – Georgia’s highest court overturned the murder and child cruelty convictions against Ross Harris. And last month, the Cobb County District Attorney’s Office announced prosecutors would not retry Ross Harris for murder in this tragic case.

Beyond Criminal Headlines is a podcast in which Cox Media Group’s Nicole Bennett sits down with experts who’ve investigated some of the most notorious cases in U.S. history. Find the latest ‘Beyond Criminal Headlines’ content on any podcast provider or listen on demand here.
I always wondered why he needed to buy light bulbs at another store. Home Depot has a large selection of light bulbs, and wouldn’t he also get an employee discount? Forgive me if I missed an explanation of that.
But maybe it’s because he wanted an excuse to go to his car and check on Cooper to see if he was dead yet. :mad:
FWIW, I think he’s guilty as sin. He should fry. IMO

I always wondered why he needed to buy light bulbs at another store. Home Depot has a large selection of light bulbs, and wouldn’t he also get an employee discount? Forgive me if I missed an explanation of that.
But maybe it’s because he wanted an excuse to go to his car and check on Cooper to see if he was dead yet. :mad:
Ross did buy the lightbulbs at Home Depot. But yeah, the whole thing was odd, especially his tossing the lightbulbs onto the front seat while keeping his head outside of the SUV. Who carelessly throws glass? It was suspicious then and it’s still suspicious. IMO

Ross did buy the lightbulbs at Home Depot. But yeah, the whole thing was odd, especially his tossing the lightbulbs onto the front seat while keeping his head outside of the SUV. Who carelessly throws glass? It was suspicious then and it’s still suspicious. IMO
I didn’t know that, thank you! That‘s no better, IMO. Why take them to his car when he could have taken them with him when leaving work at the end of the day. What an evil “you know what”. JMO

You can see in the video played at trial that he never glanced below the roofline of the car, and clearly never looked in the back seat. So if he was checking to see if Cooper had died, he wouldn't have been able to know for sure. Harris was well aware of the cameras in the lots, they can be seen on screen at the Security desk. If he intentionally left Cooper in the car, going to the car mid-day seems an unnecessarily risky move.

Not only will he not fry, once he does his time for his unrelated crimes, he'll not do another day in prison and be considered "not guilty" in Cooper's death forever. The prosecution screwed up badly here by over-charging Harris. IMO

You can see in the video played at trial that he never glanced below the roofline of the car, and clearly never looked in the back seat. So if he was checking to see if Cooper had died, he wouldn't have been able to know for sure. Harris was well aware of the cameras in the lots, they can be seen on screen at the Security desk. If he intentionally left Cooper in the car, going to the car mid-day seems an unnecessarily risky move.

Not only will he not fry, once he does his time for his unrelated crimes, he'll not do another day in prison and be considered "not guilty" in Cooper's death forever. The prosecution screwed up badly here by over-charging Harris. IMO

The smell would greet him as he opened the car door....

If not yet the smell of death, at least the smell of hot used diaper.

jmho ymmv lrr

I don't think he was overcharged.

I do not feel he was overcharged. I feel the verdict being overturned is a massive miscarriage of justice.

Since I cannot count on prison to give it to him, I wish Mr. Harris every single iota of what he deserves for the rest of his life.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanayarford
Back