Australia Australia - Marion Barter - Missing After Trip to UK - June 1997 #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven’t worked out how to reply to comments yet but here’s the link to Victoria rego check and I checked PVC096 (copies and paste) and got something different...... see what you guys get.... apologies if I’ve I’ve missed part of the chats and already not part of things. Thanks

That’s for Victoria not NSW - maybe it’s different? It says green Holden Sedan manufactured 1999 so definitely not relevant

I've got a screen shot from inquest. Not allowed to post it, but can discuss. RB's registration history says:

PVC096
Mitsubishi Magna TM
White Sedan
Owned from 11 Oct 1997 to 30 Nov 1998

He also had this car:
SQA537
Toyota Lexcen
White Sedan
Owned from 20 Nov 1998 to 20 Jan 1999

The rest of the cars on the list are 4 x blue and 1 x grey which were all Renaults and one Peugeot.

He also had one UNREGISTERED car
Plate number #00286195
Toyota Cornona
No other details except that reg expired 25 Sept 1998
Perhaps he swapped the plates of the Magna with the Toyota Cornona…

Thank you caitlincurious, much appreciated. Sorry can’t reply directly but also.....

Is “quote” used to respond to someone’s comment? Haha new

YES! YES! YES! This was perfected with MB and its success was transferred to the scam with JO, who testified that her personal papers etc, were taken and retained by AKA

If they didn't have their own errands to run, he sent them off for pointless medical tests or elaborate hairdressing appointments. That gave him plenty of time to rinse the house.

Last edited:
I've got a screen shot from inquest. Not allowed to post it, but can discuss. RB's registration history says:

PVC096
Mitsubishi Magna TM
White Sedan
Owned from 11 Oct 1997 to 30 Nov 1998

He also had this car:
SQA537
Toyota Lexcen
White Sedan
Owned from 20 Nov 1998 to 20 Jan 1999

The rest of the cars on the list are 4 x blue and 1 x grey which were all Renaults and one Peugeot.

He also had one UNREGISTERED car
Plate number #00286195
Toyota Cornona
No other details except that reg expired 25 Sept 1998
He also had a Datsun /Nissan bluebird blue in colour at the time he bought the Magna I believe a wagon. I think he discarded this car. MHO I think this car should be checked out.

All IMO because there are gaps and dead ends and assumptions in all the scenarios! I keep going around in circles on this one looking for a more logical explanations that ties it all together but am yet to get to it without some known fact not fitting. I am sure there is (or was) another piece of the puzzle out there that shifts the kaleidoscope and reveals the explanation for the unresolved conflicting info…
I agree. -- If you follow the idea that the simplest explanation based on known evidence is the right one, the postcards were waylaid before posting; Marion did fly home-- and for a significant reason; Marion made the withdrawals. If the mystery car has relevance, then it almost certainly implies Marion came home. Why else would RB buy a rust bucket? Unless RB and Diane were planning to use the car for bank withdrawals in case anyone was watching what they drove. One thing for certain, RB thinks he's smarter than everyone. He builds plans believing them to be fool-proof.

I agree. -- If you follow the idea that the simplest explanation based on known evidence is the right one, the postcards were waylaid before posting; Marion did fly home-- and for a significant reason; Marion made the withdrawals. If the mystery car has relevance, then it almost certainly implies Marion came home. Why else would RB buy a rust bucket? Unless RB and Diane were planning to use the car for bank withdrawals in case anyone was watching what they drove. One thing for certain, RB thinks he's smarter than everyone. He builds plans believing them to be fool-proof.
I believe the postcards could have been given by Marion to the hotel to post,that was common practice when I worked in the industry and cards were not always posted promptly. We know that Marion said in the last phone call to Sally that she was going to be out of touch for a while.. she may have already been en route back to Australia, but we also know she had been secretive about RB and her name change etc. However, if Marion was returning because she had rumbled RB, her money was being stolen etc, I think she would have enlisted Sally's help at that point. So i believe that Marion was at that time still fully invested in RB and their new life. All MOO obvs

I believe the postcards could have been given by Marion to the hotel to post,that was common practice when I worked in the industry and cards were not always posted promptly. We know that Marion said in the last phone call to Sally that she was going to be out of touch for a while.. she may have already been en route back to Australia, but we also know she had been secretive about RB and her name change etc. However, if Marion was returning because she had rumbled RB, her money was being stolen etc, I think she would have enlisted Sally's help at that point. So i believe that Marion was at that time still fully invested in RB and their new life. All MOO obvs
I agree that MB would have told Sally on that last call if she was suspicious of RB. IMO RB told MB that he had to do urgent business somewhere and that he would be back as he told others. She must have sounded OK on the phone to Sally otherwise Sally would have been suspicious. Was she encouraged to make that call by someone who had befriended her who could have been RB's partner in crime and RB had told MB that he would take her to Amsterdam. Perhaps they went on a boat and MB's body was thrown overboard? Not sure if he could get away with it on a ferry. I really don't think that MB had any inkling that RB was going to withdraw her money at that stage and she was looking forward to the Amsterdam trip and I don't think she would have come back so soon to withdraw her own money. She seemed to have enough for her travels with her.

As for poisoning MB:
How long does poison take to react? A person can be poisoned and not show symptoms for hours, days, or months. Cases of poisoning with a prolonged onset of symptoms are particularly dangerous because there may be a dangerous delay in obtaining medical attention.

However, if MB died in Europe from slow poisoning administered to her before RB left, someone would have found her body and reported it to authorities. But if she didn't have any ID on her as RB had stolen her passport and other ID documents, MB could be one of the unidentified bodies in perhaps England or Amsterdam. I wonder what address MB had placed on her passport at the back?

The way MB's money was withdrawn in small amounts almost daily has never convinced me that she did the withdrawals. It was her money after all. Much safer to transfer it to another bank overseas. A previous member posted an ad of a woman living in Europe wanting to immigrate to Australia early that year. I could imagine that RB could have contacted her to help her to immigrate and used MB's passport with a different photo and an arranged airline ticket to Australia in return for cash or also promised her "a new life". I wonder if that woman is still alive?
Then DdeH posed as MB at the bank when she was younger and much thinner.

I think his ramblings that MB wanted to disappear was the final nail for all in parties sitting in the room seeing him for what he is. A complete narcissist liar.

It’s not just about theft or fraud. He could steal from people anywhere. What he does is cruelty.

This is a game to him.

He IMO has scoured newspapers for years reading and searching for lonely people wanting friendship/companionship/love

If he has placed an ad it’s because he’s had to and run out of $ or his ego is in need of the ‘thrill’

The thrill for him is knowing weakness and ensuring he uses the right bait.

His moves quick. It’s a whirlwind. This is a GAME for him.

He portrays himself as successful financial and that is to show he isn’t a threat so a woman who has assets or financial freedom doesn’t have to worry that he us after her money.

None of this is playing by the seat of his pants this is a well thought out pattern and plan. That he has refined over the years.

Yes he is pattern is to leave them high and dry.

But what if it took MB returning for him to realise that’s a mistake and never to do that again? Alter the plan, adjust it..for next victim?

There is no way mb’s chests were stored there and she came to collect. He clearly has tried to keep his other women seperate from his home life.

He admits - the last time he saw her was at wollongbar… WHY????

He doesn’t need to say that.
He has said that for a reason!

Was the last time anybody at all saw MB alive in wollongbar?

What’s the reason?

she may have been seen by someone?
Because he has had stuff of hers in his possession?
There’s something.

Or it’s actually the only thing he’s said that’s truth.

There’s not a lot of detail of her leaving wollongbar just lots of her arriving.

Wollongbar matters! The Magna matters.
The rumour started long ago of found and wants to disconnect from family matters.

That is in his playbook. Don’t tell your kids just leave with me. (Name change / Returning home)

He started that rumour I bet.

Wollongbar matters!!!!!!!!

JMO
IMO RB only told the story about Wollongbar so he could place suspicion on another man - the tall pilot in uniform.

Regarding the bank manager and Bali, remember she was married to a policeman at the time.

Remember the inquest did question whether there was an improper exchange of information between employees of Byron bank and Byron police that might've started THE rumour that stopped the investigation… that Marion was found and willingly wanted to start a new life overseas, away from her family.

The question is where did the rumour start, at the bank or police? Or perhaps at the home shared by the bank manager and policeman?

Here are two COPS entries that were allegedly taken after Byron police spoke to Byron bank:
22 Oct 1997 1:15pm: “Last transaction from Byron. Transfer $80,000 from account to another account 15 October 1997.”
22 Oct 1997 2:37pm: “She is a 3 times divorced woman in her 50’s and one possible scenario for her behaviour is that she returned to Australia with a companion and has transferred the funds to England to purchase a property there with the view to move to England.”

Which is very odd considering the bank manager’s sudden memory in 2022 that it was definitely a tanned Marion with a flower in her hair who withdrew the money with the intention of going to Bali to find herself. She also believes she saw Marion years later at a ‘return to work course’ in Australia.

Essentially, the bank manager gave evidence that Marion was in Australia and still alive in the 2000s. Which is convenient for NSW police who pulled Marion's AFP Missing Person campaign in 2007, saying Marion wasn't missing because police had recently contacted her again and she was still alive. We learned this from the emails obtained by freedom of information.

Frankly, none of it adds up. I don't believe the bank manager told the truth.

I think we need to find the car.
Does anyone remember a Facebook post that Sally received which claimed that Sally was still alive in Australia and wanted nothing to do with her family or something like that. IIRC it was someone using the name, "Clive"? I have always thought that RB using a fake FB profile sent that to Sally. Does anyone remember it?

Does anyone remember a Facebook post that Sally received which claimed that Sally was still alive in Australia and wanted nothing to do with her family or something like that. IIRC it was someone using the name, "Clive"? I have always thought that RB using a fake FB profile sent that to Sally. Does anyone remember it?

I remember it being discussed on previous threads, early on.

When I first started following this case quite some time ago, it was before I had signed up as a forum member, before the sleuth had discovered the 'Remakel' advert and before the inquests and podcasts.

I read up all the prior threads right from the beginning. I do recall that someone using a male name had sent a message or posted via FB to say that Marion was alive and didn't want to be contacted. I can't recall what the name was but Sally and the team will know right?

IMO RB only told the story about Wollongbar so he could place suspicion on another man - the tall pilot in uniform.
Imagine a tall pilot in his full uniform travelling to Wollongbar to pick up tea chests, from a garage. Did he land a plane in the driveway, or perhaps a helicopter in the front yard? Even if he was a tall pilot, I'm fairly sure he would be wearing casual clothes. I think the only tall thing about this ..it is a fabricated tall tale, a hallmark of the fraudster, AKA.

Imagine a tall pilot in his full uniform travelling to Wollongbar to pick up tea chests, from a garage. Did he land a plane in the driveway, or perhaps a helicopter in the front yard? Even if he was a tall pilot, I'm fairly sure he would be wearing casual clothes. I think the only tall thing about this ..it is a fabricated tall tale, a hallmark of the fraudster, AKA.
Yes a pilot would never pick up tea chests in his uniform!

or if Marion did meet her demise overseas, the postcards were found by the perpetrator and posted a different intervals to give family here a feeling that MB was still alive long after her death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla